Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Entire Team Talent Rankings
AusTxPony Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
Entire Team Talent Rankings
24/7 Sports put out an Entire Team Ranking for AAC. This includes transfers, JUCO, and recruiting classes. No real surprises here. Top 6 teams were as expected. Does speak to depth of talent. FWIW:
School, Commits, Average, 5*s, 4*s, 3*s and totals.

UCF
UCF
85 Commits

Houston
Houston
85 Commits

Cincinnati
Cincinnati
75 Commits

SMU
SMU
85 Commits

USF
USF
73 Commits

Memphis
Memphis
80 Commits

Temple
Temple
77 Commits
Tulane
Tulane
78 Commits
East Carolina
East Carolina
66 Commits
Tulsa
Tulsa
65 Commits
Connecticut
Connecticut
66 Commits
Navy
Navy
73 Commits
08-26-2019 12:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
RE: Entire Team Talent Rankings
Meh Recruiting Rankings are ridiculous

Garbage In, Garbage Out
08-26-2019 12:23 PM
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
You expected SMU 4th? lol. Wouldn’t expect it based off on the field results.
08-26-2019 03:58 PM
mustangxc Offline
1st String

Not expected based off on field results, but SMU made huge strides in upgrading its talent this offseason.
08-26-2019 04:00 PM
Advertisement

JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
K
08-26-2019 04:07 PM
DownEastPirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
(08-26-2019 04:00 PM)mustangxc Wrote:  Not expected based off on field results, but SMU made huge strides in upgrading its talent this offseason.

I'd put more stock into rankings NOT including transfers and JUCO's. As much as we all like to brag about high level transfers and JUCO guys, they rarely work out. Maybe 1 for every 10. We've had good luck with QB and RB but nearly every other position have been a bust.

I have to say, seeing the numbers the other day of transfers you and Houston got it is a little alarming. May speak to the real health of the program, I hope not but generally that does not bode well. See our complete basketball over haul as an example.
08-26-2019 04:59 PM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I looked at this a while back and found numerous errors in Memphis' rankings...3 stars showing up as NA. I'm sure other teams have errors as well. I can't remember who it is, but a future opponent (think it is an SBC team) lists (or at least used to list) a four star player. Curious, I looked a bit further and found it to be a different player with the same name from 15+ years ago.03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2019 05:40 PM by gulfcoastgal.)
08-26-2019 05:40 PM
Advertisement

Digetydog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Mustang Mania
(08-26-2019 03:58 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  You expected SMU 4th? lol. Wouldn’t expect it based off on the field results.

The talent at SMU has improved every year since June Jones quit on the team. The core of the team is made up of traditional recruits with transfers brought in to fill gaps created by recruiting misses and things like career ending injuries.
08-27-2019 04:50 AM
mustangxc Offline
1st String

(08-26-2019 04:59 PM)DownEastPirate Wrote:  
(08-26-2019 04:00 PM)mustangxc Wrote:  Not expected based off on field results, but SMU made huge strides in upgrading its talent this offseason.

I'd put more stock into rankings NOT including transfers and JUCO's. As much as we all like to brag about high level transfers and JUCO guys, they rarely work out. Maybe 1 for every 10. We've had good luck with QB and RB but nearly every other position have been a bust.

I have to say, seeing the numbers the other day of transfers you and Houston got it is a little alarming. May speak to the real health of the program, I hope not but generally that does not bode well. See our complete basketball over haul as an example.

Nothing alarming about Houston and SMU getting strong P6 transfers. It is opportunistic recruiting that not many can do based on our fertile recruiting location (i.e. Top local talent that wants to come back and play closer to home). We have struck gold with Reggie Roberson from West Virginia who was our second leading receiver last year and also with Shane Buechele this year who is a huge upgrade at QB for us. Most others will be strong contributors for us too and Sonny Dykes has said that it will be part of the longterm strategy going forward as most of them will be 2-3 year contributors.
08-27-2019 08:05 AM
SMUleopold Offline
1st String

I Root For: Guess, genius..

They work out at about the same level as any other recruit.

Buechele worked out at UT, even won at Notre Dame as a freshman - he got passed over when a new coach changed the offense. The kid is neither a head case nor a failure but rather is flat out built to run a spread offense.

Ambercrombie worked out at Rice, had 116 tackles there, just wanted a chance to win. Same for Lawson.

Flores was All Ivy League, he graduated and wanted a higher level.

Moore has already worked out for us, he might be the best defense player in the conference. Roberson is challenging Proche for best receiver in the conference; both are transfers.

As far as the health of the program, we’ve got 21 of 25 listed starters back from a team that was a QB away from a west division championship. We think we can win this year. We’ll see if Shane works out.

People act like transfers are always head cases. They aren’t, and with the rule changes you’re going to start seeing a lot more of them.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2019 08:44 AM by SMUleopold.)
08-27-2019 08:29 AM
Advertisement

vcoog Offline
All American

I Root For: UH

I agree it does speak to the health of the program.. UH has been in constant turnover so how would anyone expect us to have a steady roster to go with the revolving door?

But when I look at the quality guys transferring in I don't see how this is a negative.. it may end up being that we have a stronger talent level than if we just filled up yearly with 3 stars.

Coach Sampson has made a name for himself with transfers and JUCO's and maybe thats a niche UH (and the AAC in genereal) can fill for players who didn't get what they were promised out of highschool but still have the talent and motivation to play..
08-27-2019 09:37 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston

thats a made up stat...thats not even close to reality....

transfer rarely ever become superstars..thats fine but the overwhelming majority of transfers all end up playing..all end up playing a role

the same can be said about regualr touted recruits, not all of them are going to be superstar, maybe a slightly higher percentage but propbably still low

the majporty pf transfer to houston "work out" if they are not injured..they just arent super stars ..we dont need all of them to be superstars
08-27-2019 10:57 AM
zoocrew Offline
Banned

I Root For: PITT, NAVY, MBB
Garbage.
08-27-2019 11:03 AM
Advertisement

Stallion Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
I've following the Team Composite Rankings for several years and its at least as good a predictor as the vast majority of independent predictions out there. Of course you need to throw out Navy because their recruiting model and talent development model is so radically different with their unlimited scholarships and Prep School development
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2019 07:49 PM by Stallion.)
08-27-2019 07:46 PM
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(08-27-2019 04:50 AM)Digetydog Wrote:  
(08-26-2019 03:58 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  You expected SMU 4th? lol. Wouldn’t expect it based off on the field results.

The talent at SMU has improved every year since June Jones quit on the team. The core of the team is made up of traditional recruits with transfers brought in to fill gaps created by recruiting misses and things like career ending injuries.

Yeah June Jones left like 6 years ago come on dude.
08-27-2019 09:33 PM
Digetydog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Mustang Mania
(08-27-2019 09:33 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  
(08-27-2019 04:50 AM)Digetydog Wrote:  

Yeah June Jones left like 6 years ago come on dude.

Chad Morris was a good offensive coach, but his recruiting efforts (although better than June’s by a mile) suffered from poor talent evaluations particularly on the OL and on Defense. Bad recruiting on defense is one of the reasons Morris’ defenses were UConn bad.

Dykes has taken Chad’s roster, eliminated the dead wood and filled in the holes nicely. Transfers have made and will make key contributions this season.

Examples: Proche, Roberson, Sanders are a fantastic WR Corps. Two of them are transfers Dykes brought in.

All six four stars on the team are Dykes recruits.

Note: in Morris’ defense, he inherited a mess of a squad from June.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2019 06:43 AM by Digetydog.)
08-28-2019 06:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.