Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Historic AAC year in Women's basketball recruiting?
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
MyBB Historic AAC year in Women's basketball recruiting?
not including UConn, this is on pace to be the best recruiting aac year in women's basketball

60% of the top 100 have yet to commit and we already have 3 schools with 100 recruits
(Tulane, Houston & Cincy)..
and we are in the running for quite a few others

interesting that programs are having their best classes after uconn announced they are leaving

-- USF and memphis picked up top 100 4stars in the 2019 cycle

note; the big east had 2 top 100 in the last 2 cycles, and non-uconn aac had had 5.. 7 non-uconn aac teams in the last 3 recruiting cycles will have landed atleast 1 top 100 4star...3 in the BE in the span

some of the best players in the conference last season were also true freshman... we wont have any team close to the uconn level but this league could still end up thriving without them..
08-26-2019 10:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Billy Bob Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC
RE: Historic AAC year in Women's basketball recruiting?
UConn suppresses its own conference in Women's basketball.

When you consider only 4 Women's team a year have a chance at winning the NC, that places greater importance on winning conference championships for most recruits/players. Unfortunately, AAC teams outside of UConn couldn't sell any recruits on being able to realistically beat the 800lb gorilla for the conference championship. Now that UConn is leaving, it makes competing in AAC women's basketball interesting again with no preset winner.
08-26-2019 10:58 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Like every other AAC sport, WBB is definitely better off without UCONN.
08-26-2019 11:04 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
UConn is a super power in women’s basketball. Fortunately for our media deal, few care.
08-26-2019 11:08 AM
mike012779 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
Uconn women's basketball will go down as the only team to never lose a game in a conference....ever.
08-26-2019 11:12 AM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
(08-26-2019 11:04 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  Like every other AAC sport, WBB is definitely better off without UCONN.

Well, if it means more money per university then yea it kinda is.
08-26-2019 11:13 AM
Advertisement

Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
Cicny is continuing to grow. (77)

UCF seems to have its program rolling, although it's a reload year for them. (17)

USF was decimated by injuries last year but has consistently been a top team. (115)

Tulane was super young and erratic but beat some good teams and was competitive, I expect them to be a bubble team. (170)

Houston has to learn to win with a target but is on the threshold. (111)

That's four good teams and one really good program (USF) right now.

Tulsa was young but showed flashes. Temple was up and down. ECU had some coaching instability but could be pretty solid. WSU is building itself up to compete. Memphis and SMU had a tough year.

Every team performing slightly better will overall help the conference a lot. Several programs have been steadily building up. It should be a fun year and there is a lot of potential this year for the AAC women's side to open some eyes.
08-26-2019 11:16 AM
Billy Bob Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC
(08-26-2019 11:16 AM)Foreverandever Wrote:  Cicny is continuing to grow. (77)

UCF seems to have its program rolling, although it's a reload year for them. (17)

USF was decimated by injuries last year but has consistently been a top team. (115)

Tulane was super young and erratic but beat some good teams and was competitive, I expect them to be a bubble team. (170)

Tulsa was young but showed flashes. Temple was up and down. ECU had some coaching instability but could be pretty solid. WSU is building itself up to compete. Memphis and SMU had a tough year.

Every team performing slightly better will overall help the conference a lot. Several programs have been steadily building up. It should be a fun year and there is a lot of potential this year for the AAC women's side to open some eyes.

The new Women's coach at UC is doing things that have never been done in the history of the program. Apparently we are recruiting at an entirely new level, and the on court product started showing that last year.
08-26-2019 11:26 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

im not sure its a reload year for ucf, the player that did the overwhelming majority of the scoring for them was only a junior

but no one really pays attention to womens bball like that, or tries to seek information but no one besides the 7 houston w fans noticed houstons best player coming into the season last year was suspended for the season...and we still had a great season (NIT)...and she is coming back
08-26-2019 11:33 AM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
(08-26-2019 11:33 AM)pesik Wrote:  

im not sure its a reload year for ucf, the player that did the overwhelming majority of the scoring for them was only a junior

but no one really pays attention to womens bball like that, or tries to seek information but no one besides the 7 houston w fans noticed houstons best player coming into the season last year was suspended for the season...and we still had a great season (NIT)...and she is coming back

UCF had a ton of seniors and that's a lot of leadership to lose. They also won the games they were suppose to but struggled against the better competition and benefited from a oddly weak schedule (some teams underperformed from yheir traditional level).

Houston is a scary team right now and if they pop off the league will be looked at different. Cincinnati has a program builder for a coach and she was handed a strong foundation that she quickly built on. If Tulane gets it going again those three programs and USF will make the AAC a good top end league, with a decent middle and a not too bad bottom.

Looking at Tulsa the coach has been getting some solid talent including local girls. Last year they had a couple wtf moments and some critical games were missed by key players. The depth just wasn't good enough. The last two classes should really start to show up and I expect an NIT type year that will hopefully get the program to start leveling up.
08-26-2019 01:44 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
It should be a bannable offense to post a girls basketball thread this time of year.

03-no
08-26-2019 06:20 PM
Advertisement

UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
These recruits likely made up their minds before UConn announced their departure. The real test will be how the AAC recruits NEXT year.
08-27-2019 06:05 PM
UCF_SystemsEng Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(08-26-2019 06:20 PM)shere khan Wrote:  It should be a bannable offense to post a girls basketball thread this time of year.

03-no
Came here to post something similar, and I actually attended a few UCF WBB games last season.
08-27-2019 09:00 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(08-27-2019 06:05 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  These recruits likely made up their minds before UConn announced their departure. The real test will be how the AAC recruits NEXT year.

its been months since uconn announced they were leaving...and no one has signed and has the ability to change their mind.. they committed knowing theyll never play uconn

the real test was this season...recruiting while there are rumors of your league collapsing...itll be yesterdays news next cycle
08-27-2019 09:14 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

(08-27-2019 09:14 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(08-27-2019 06:05 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  These recruits likely made up their minds before UConn announced their departure. The real test will be how the AAC recruits NEXT year.

its been months since uconn announced they were leaving...and no one has signed and has the ability to change their mind.. they committed knowing theyll never play uconn

the real test was this season...recruiting while there are rumors of your league collapsing...itll be yesterdays news next cycle

Regardless, the logic with the initial argument on this thread is flawed. To claim that the AAC is attracting more talent in women's basketball because UConn is leaving doesn't make any sense. That is crazy talk. Add to that the fact that only 13 AAC women's basketball games will be on linear television starting in 2020 (which is like one game per school - perhaps USF will get three games) and the argument completely unravels. Sure, every school gets a top recruit from time to time. However, this conference will be near invisible in women's basketball starting in 2020 based on the TV deal. That can only hurt recruiting. That is one of the reasons UConn bolted.
08-28-2019 11:23 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(08-28-2019 11:23 AM)UConnHusky Wrote:  

Regardless, the logic with the initial argument on this thread is flawed. To claim that the AAC is attracting more talent in women's basketball because UConn is leaving doesn't make any sense. That is crazy talk. Add to that the fact that only 13 AAC women's basketball games will be on linear television starting in 2020 (which is like one game per school - perhaps USF will get three games) and the argument completely unravels. Sure, every school gets a top recruit from time to time. However, this conference will be near invisible in women's basketball starting in 2020 based on the TV deal. That can only hurt recruiting. That is one of the reasons UConn bolted.

The initial argument of the thread had nothing do with getting recruits “because” UConn is leaving... but that we can get top recruits even without UConn. And the non-uconn teams will continue to grow

But to your other points are bad... what’s the obsession with linear
100k views is 100k viewers irregardless of if it’s digital or linear. Disney+ is about to super bolster espn+

And how many national tv women’s game does any conference have??
You don’t seem to understand the difference in size between espn and fs1
The aac’s 13 national games will have more total viewers than every non post season UConn game

Fs1 has less guaranteed TV games for women’s for the BE, while controlling 100% of the rights and doesn’t guarantee any games on SNY

The fact you think 13 national games for women’s b-ball is bad thing shows you are the one talking crazy

-old 13 national games.. all going to UConn blowing out our teams but 50 making non-UConn look bad.. few other games accessible to people outside of Connecticut .. nothing for the rest

- new 13 national games showcasing the best non-UConn in competitive games.. with the 100% of the rest on the 2nd biggest streaming platform in the world
08-28-2019 12:02 PM
Advertisement

UConnHusky Offline
All American

(08-28-2019 12:02 PM)pesik Wrote:  

The initial argument of the thread had nothing do with getting recruits “because” UConn is leaving... but that we can get top recruits even without UConn. And the non-uconn teams will continue to grow

100k views is 100k viewers irregardless of if it’s digital or linear. Disney+ is about to super bolster espn+

The aac’s 13 national games will have more total viewers than every non post season UConn game

Fs1 has less guaranteed TV games for women’s for the BE, while controlling 100% of the rights and doesn’t guarantee any games on SNY

The fact you think 13 national games for women’s b-ball is bad thing shows you are the one talking crazy

-old 13 national games.. all going to UConn blowing out our teams but 50 making non-UConn look bad.. few other games accessible to people outside of Connecticut .. nothing for the rest

- new 13 national games showcasing the best non-UConn in competitive games.. with the 100% of the rest on the 2nd biggest streaming platform in the world

What is the obsession with linear? The P5 conferences all showcase their sports on linear. The launching of the ACC Network just proves the continuing value of linear. Sure, the P5 conferences all stream some content, but it isn't their best content and they don't stream as much as the AAC will be streaming. If Aresco really wants to prove to the world that the AAC is really "P6", then he will need to author the creation of a dedicated linear TV channel (which is never happening - I am glad that UConn finally stopped drinking Mikey's "P6" kool aid).

As for you claim on FS1's women's linear hoop content, please provide a link.
08-28-2019 12:42 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
Every home in America* will have ESPN+ by the end of 2020 since it is being bundled with Disney+ and Hulu for $12/month starting in October.

*---possible exaggeration

p.s.-Popeye's got more media attention this week than women's college basketball has received in the last decade combined. It registers somewhere between butterfly collecting and lawmower racing in the American zeitgeist.
08-28-2019 12:58 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

(08-28-2019 12:58 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  Every home in America* will have ESPN+ by the end of 2020 since it is being bundled with Disney+ and Hulu for $12/month starting in October.

*---possible exaggeration

p.s.-Popeye's got more media attention this week than women's college basketball has received in the last decade combined. It registers somewhere between butterfly collecting and lawmower racing in the American zeitgeist.

If ESPN+ starts streaming lawnmower racing, then I will be a believer in the future of streaming. Who doesn't love a good Honda vs. Toro or John Deere vs. Cub Cadet showdown?
08-28-2019 01:27 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(08-28-2019 12:42 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  
(08-28-2019 12:02 PM)pesik Wrote:  

What is the obsession with linear? The P5 conferences all showcase their sports on linear. The launching of the ACC Network just proves the continuing value of linear. Sure, the P5 conferences all stream some content, but it isn't their best content and they don't stream as much as the AAC will be streaming. If Aresco really wants to prove to the world that the AAC is really "P6", then he will need to author the creation of a dedicated linear TV channel (which is never happening - I am glad that UConn finally stopped drinking Mikey's "P6" kool aid).

As for you claim on FS1's women's linear hoop content, please provide a link.

your entire point is misguided...the p5 don't care about linear ..acc network proves they want subscription dollars it doesn't prove anything about linear...
linear is meaningless if they are getting less viewers

you are the blockbuster fan stuck in a netflix world

the overwhelming majority of big 12 womens basketball games are going on espn plus THIS YEAR..they are p5

uconn: our women's basketball program is a National brand

aac: we just got a tv deal that will make your games national to every single uconn fan in the world on a mega platform, with full replay capabilities to watch games at their convenience

uconn: how dare you not make our games only available in Connecticut and impossible to watch it again if you missed it!!!!

as for your link, this is the entirety of the big east tv schedule last season:
https://www.bigeast.com/documents/2018/9...df?id=8244

8 total fs1 games....22 if you include all if you include fs2 games
note fs2 averages 5-9k viewers per football game..espn's lowest network (espnnews) averages 50-70k for football games (comparison to over a million for espn main) which is why every p5 has demanded non of their content ever be put on fs2 since...but its linear yay!! will likely be in the tens to hundreds for a women bball games ..

the remaining 74 womens basketball were BEDN (aka mixture of foxsortsgo app or youtube) at the cost to the school..note the games average viewers on YouTube was 10 (no missing zero, ten).. fox sub-licensed a few depaul games to a local network

note fox has the full authority to sublicense games, similar to espn.. uconn nor the big east have an authority there...(note: espn said they would do a sublicense with sny if they approached about it)
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2019 03:20 PM by pesik.)
08-28-2019 03:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.