Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

For how long have you been a chord cutter?
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
I remember watching streamed games on ESPN in 2011, it was either called espn3 or espnU. This was before they charged for the streaming service. Now, if I don’t get a game through my digital antenna I track it on radio, gamecast or a game thread.
08-02-2019 02:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
RE: For how long have you been a chord cutter?
(08-02-2019 02:45 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  I remember watching streamed games on ESPN in 2011, it was either called espn3 or espnU. This was before they charged for the streaming service. Now, if I don’t get a game through my digital antenna I track it on radio, gamecast or a game thread.

We've been out of the game (kinda) for 5 years now. By kinda, I mean that I have a Netflix account, and passwords for ESPN and HBO. So...kinda. Still have to go to a bar to watch games on CBSSN. I'll probably buy plus once we have games on it.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2019 02:50 PM by CoastalJuan.)
08-02-2019 02:50 PM
jollyroger Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU
(08-02-2019 02:45 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  I remember watching streamed games on ESPN in 2011, it was either called espn3 or espnU. This was before they charged for the streaming service. Now, if I don’t get a game through my digital antenna I track it on radio, gamecast or a game thread.

About four months without Spectrum cable, $220 was way too much to watch a handful of channels. We tried Sling TV Orange+Blue to get sports channels, but dropped it. Their regular tv lineup wasn't good for me. cnn was their "news" source. I am going to sign up for YouTube TV, I would like to know what others experience has been with it.
We are streaming w Roku for now and I see a lot of live news shows on regular YouTube.
08-02-2019 03:17 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Cord cutting may have lost some of its luster according to Consumer Reports due to cable competition, streaming price hikes, and possible need to buy more than one streaming service.

https://www.consumerreports.org/tv-servi...d-to-know/
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2019 03:42 PM by Tiger1983.)
08-02-2019 03:41 PM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
The hipster thing to do is under pay for tv and over pay for food. Is that not en vogue any more?
08-02-2019 04:13 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(08-02-2019 04:13 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  The hipster thing to do is under pay for tv and over pay for food. Is that not en vogue any more?

Fwiw a lot of food is worthless garbage. Decent nutrition and a varied diet in conjunction with each other is pricey.
08-02-2019 04:26 PM
Advertisement

Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(08-02-2019 04:26 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  
(08-02-2019 04:13 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  The hipster thing to do is under pay for tv and over pay for food. Is that not en vogue any more?

Fwiw a lot of food is worthless garbage. Decent nutrition and a varied diet in conjunction with each other is pricey.

On Line Food Delivery Could Lead to Overspending

One of the Millennials quoted in the article spends up to $500 a month for food delivery. His job title does not suggest wealth. Maybe his parents help out. 03-wink
08-02-2019 04:42 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE

6 years. Don’t miss it at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
08-02-2019 04:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
It's been eight years since I dumped DirecTV, when I finally got tired of paying for endless commercials, frequent outages, mediocre and repetitive programming, escalating fees, and 250 channels I never watched. If I can't get programming off the air these days, it doesn't exist. Yeah, I miss some sports, but it's not a religion. It's better to get outside and hike or take photos or even mow the damn lawn.
08-02-2019 04:54 PM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(08-02-2019 04:54 PM)colohank Wrote:  It's been eight years since I dumped DirecTV, when I finally got tired of paying for endless commercials, frequent outages, mediocre and repetitive programming, escalating fees, and 250 channels I never watched. If I can't get programming off the air these days, it doesn't exist. Yeah, I miss some sports, but it's not a religion. It's better to get outside and hike or take photos or even mow the damn lawn.

So true, coming from an addicted tv watcher.
08-02-2019 05:11 PM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(08-02-2019 04:42 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  

One of the Millennials quoted in the article spends up to $500 a month for food delivery. His job title does not suggest wealth. Maybe his parents help out. 03-wink

Isn't the fact that we, as parents, bail out the Millennial's that enables them to believe that anything they do or say is OK and comes without consequences?

BTW, I cut ties with cable in 2011 when then Cable Vision file to deliver on a special for $110 plus taxes and fees with sports Package Included (Basic Cable+Sports, Phone, and Internet).

I change steaming services periodically based on promotions... I've come to enjoy following the game results by checking Box Scores instead of watching ESPiN and waiting half an hour to get one lousy score.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2019 05:25 PM by GoOwls111.)
08-02-2019 05:14 PM
Advertisement

tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
all i watch is football, basketball and the occasional south park episode. if i can figure out how to cut everything else out i would be a happy guy
08-02-2019 05:48 PM
ShadowKnight Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UCF, FSU
Since I'm a sports fan I cut the cord and got YouTube TV. It has all the sports channels I watch. Used to be $40, now it's $50 add ESPN+ for another $5 a month. Can have 6 TV's logged in and has free DVR.

ABC
CBS
NBC
FOX
ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNU
SEC Network
B1G Network
FS1
FS2
Fox Southeast
CBSN
NBCSN
NBA
MLB Network
Golf Central
Tennis Channel
Oympic Channel
08-02-2019 05:57 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(08-02-2019 05:14 PM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  
(08-02-2019 04:42 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  

Isn't the fact that we, as parents, bail out the Millennial's that enables them to believe that anything they do or say is OK and comes without consequences?

BTW, I cut ties with cable in 2011 when then Cable Vision file to deliver on a special for $110 plus taxes and fees with sports Package Included (Basic Cable+Sports, Phone, and Internet).

I change steaming services periodically based on promotions... I've come to enjoy following the game results by checking Box Scores instead of watching ESPiN and waiting half an hour to get one lousy score.

The Millennials I know (an admittedly limited circle) are hard and caring workers striving to compete in a quickly changing world with little security.

For example, the next time you visit the hospital, note the attending nurses. I promise it changes the Millennial stereotype.
08-02-2019 07:31 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
I've been a cord shaver for 4 years. Started with Sling, then Vue, then Direct TV Now.
For the past 8 months I've been a cord cutter. Only OTA, Netflix and Pluto.
08-02-2019 08:16 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(08-02-2019 03:41 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  Cord cutting may have lost some of its luster according to Consumer Reports due to cable competition, streaming price hikes, and possible need to buy more than one streaming service.

https://www.consumerreports.org/tv-servi...d-to-know/

Don't think so.
1Q losses are around 1.3 million and another 1.1 million for the 2Q from the Leichtman Research Group.

The OTA households keep getting bigger. Here is some quick math for the first half of the year
Dish losses 345k , Sling gains 55k
AT&T/Direct TV losses 1.322 million, DirectTV Now losses 251k
Comcast losses 316k

Think this puts the OTA only house now at over 27 million.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2019 09:01 PM by MWC Tex.)
08-02-2019 08:59 PM
Advertisement

J Coog Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
[Image: giphy.gif]
08-02-2019 10:52 PM
Fishpro10987 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
(08-02-2019 04:54 PM)colohank Wrote:  It's been eight years since I dumped DirecTV, when I finally got tired of paying for endless commercials, frequent outages, mediocre and repetitive programming, escalating fees, and 250 channels I never watched. If I can't get programming off the air these days, it doesn't exist. Yeah, I miss some sports, but it's not a religion. It's better to get outside and hike or take photos or even mow the damn lawn.

7 years and for the same reasons as above. Will get ESPN+ once FB season starts.
08-02-2019 11:06 PM
NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

I Root For: ECU & the AAC
(08-02-2019 03:17 PM)jollyroger Wrote:  

About four months without Spectrum cable, $220 was way too much to watch a handful of channels. We tried Sling TV Orange+Blue to get sports channels, but dropped it. Their regular tv lineup wasn't good for me. cnn was their "news" source. I am going to sign up for YouTube TV, I would like to know what others experience has been with it.
We are streaming w Roku for now and I see a lot of live news shows on regular YouTube.

We have YouTube TV and like it a lot.
08-02-2019 11:25 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
I have Comcast internet for $60/month.

Netflix
Prime TV

HBO GO and Watch AT&T (30 channels) are included with my cell phone.

AMC Stubs member.

Where I think this may be going-

Dropping Netflix and rotating apps depending on what show is hot. (CBS All-Access for a month. Starz for a month. Hulu for a month. Disney+ for a month.. It depends on what show is hot.)

Prime remains because Amazon Prime streaming is an add-on to what I already use Amazon for.

AMC Stubs remains.
08-03-2019 05:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.