Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Discussion Thursday: Worst Game You Watched In Person
Bookmark and Share
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
Discussion Thursday: Worst Game You Watched In Person
This discussion has been popping up all over my feed on Twitter and figure this would make for a fun thread.

November 12th 2005. Troy @ Arkansas State
Final Score (Then) Indians defeat Trojans, 9-3.

-Both teams combined for 411 yards (Troy accounted for 167 total offensive yards while Astate gained 244). Both teams also combined for 24 penalties for 226 yards. As you probably figured out all the scores came from field goals. While the game lasted a little over 3 hours, it felt way longer do to the game having to be constantly stopped as the game clock kept malfunctioning and the refs requesting the time being reset.

Probably the only good aspect of this game (besides the victory) was the weather, as it was unseasonably warm for the time period.
07-11-2019 12:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
RE: Discussion Thursday: Worst Game You Watched In Person
Homecoming my freshman year against Wofford, 2002. Ooooof that one sucked

Edit: not worst played game, just the worst feeling to a game
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2019 12:08 PM by Yosef Himself.)
07-11-2019 12:07 PM
eaglewraith Online
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
2009 Citadel to finish the season.

And we won that game.

It just felt miserable.

2006 Wofford is another one that was pretty terrible.
07-11-2019 12:30 PM
asucrutch23 Offline
Special Teams

I don't necessarily believe that low scoring defensive battles are "bad games" per se, but our 2011 win over Chattanooga 14-12 was particularly sloppy. We won without scoring on offense. Scored our 2 TDs on an interception return and a fumbled FG attempt.
07-11-2019 12:31 PM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
The Buster Faulker-Tyson Summers crapfest in 2016 was really ugly. Faulker's offense turned it over 5 times and said "you're not losing to us, hahaha" and Tyson Summers said "hold my beer". And Summers in his radio post-game blamed the running backs (lol). Both of those teams should've been a lot better on offense than they were.

But wraith is right that the 2009 Citadel game is the absolute worst. That was the only Georgia southern team that was utterly unwatchable (and we've had some bad ones) and you combine it with another completely anemic offense it was insufferable. At least when we got an *** kicking from App that year we got to watch Armanti Edwards.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2019 12:51 PM by EigenEagle.)
07-11-2019 12:48 PM
asucrutch23 Offline
Special Teams

(07-11-2019 12:48 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  The Buster Faulker-Tyson Summers crapfest in 2016 was really ugly. Faulker's offense turned it over 5 times and said "you're not losing to us, hahaha" and Tyson Summers said "hold my beer". And Summers in his radio post-game blamed the running backs (lol). Both of those teams should've been a lot better on offense than they were.

This is a good one. I remember being happy about Justice Hansen's 4th and 15 run at the time, but then it ended up costing us an outright SBC title. Ukeme Eligwe gave a piss poor effort on that play.
07-11-2019 01:00 PM
Advertisement

AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
1994: VMI 03-puke
07-11-2019 01:10 PM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

App at Marshall 1990. Went into the game thinking it was pretty much a toss up. Marshall jumped on us and was up 28-0 at the half. App got the kickoff and did nothing. Marshall's 1st play goes for a 70 yard TD and we walked out the gate.
07-11-2019 01:10 PM
southcharlotteapp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
UNC 0
GT 7

It think it was my wifes homecoming in Chapel Hill 2006. We were a few minutes late getting in and I think GT scored on their first or second drive, which we just missed. It's the only game i've ever been to, including youth football, where I did not see any points scored. Extra bonus, I got to watch GT run the triple option all afternoon. It was hideous.
07-11-2019 01:20 PM
SpeedkingATL Offline
Special Teams

I have to put the 2013 loss to NC A&T as the ugliest App loss I have witnessed. App dominated the stats but gave up a pick 6 and a kickoff return for a TD and lost at The Rock. Most unexpected home loss I can remember in over 40 years of App football. Then 2 weeks later App lost at home against Charleston Southern. This was Scott Satterfield's first year as head coach and as good as he was at App this 4-8 season was hard to swallow. At least App beat GS at home that year so the season wasn't a complete wash!!
07-11-2019 01:50 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
2005 semi-final vs UNI
07-11-2019 02:42 PM
Advertisement

eaglewraith Online
Heisman

(07-11-2019 02:42 PM)CatMom Wrote:  2005 semi-final vs UNI

Kneeling with close to 2 min left and 3 timeouts was pretty pitiful. Not Baliff's best moment.
07-11-2019 03:00 PM
eaglewraith Online
Heisman

(07-11-2019 01:00 PM)asucrutch23 Wrote:  
(07-11-2019 12:48 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  The Buster Faulker-Tyson Summers crapfest in 2016 was really ugly. Faulker's offense turned it over 5 times and said "you're not losing to us, hahaha" and Tyson Summers said "hold my beer". And Summers in his radio post-game blamed the running backs (lol). Both of those teams should've been a lot better on offense than they were.

This is a good one. I remember being happy about Justice Hansen's 4th and 15 run at the time, but then it ended up costing us an outright SBC title. Ukeme Eligwe gave a piss poor effort on that play.

On the other hand.....

If Eligwe makes that tackle, Tyson Summers makes a bowl his fist year and we potentially win 7 games. Also that means he highly likely doesn't get fired until 2018 at the earliest, so we'd just now be digging out of the hole we were in.

I'm good with where we are.
07-11-2019 03:01 PM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte
(07-11-2019 12:00 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  This discussion has been popping up all over my feed on Twitter and figure this would make for a fun thread.

-Both teams combined for 411 yards (Troy accounted for 167 total offensive yards while Astate gained 244). Both teams also combined for 24 penalties for 226 yards. As you probably figured out all the scores came from field goals. While the game lasted a little over 3 hours, it felt way longer do to the game having to be constantly stopped as the game clock kept malfunctioning and the refs requesting the time being reset.

Probably the only good aspect of this game (besides the victory) was the weather, as it was unseasonably warm for the time period.

I thought the FAU game that was 0-0 after regulation was worse. We won in overtime 3-0. That was 2 weeks before that Troy game.

Other bad games was the 2004 UNT game where Jamario Thomas ran all over us. It was a Thursday night ESPN regional game and it rained the whole time. 500 people max in the stands. The UCA loss was pretty terrible to witness too.
07-11-2019 03:33 PM
asucrutch23 Offline
Special Teams

(07-11-2019 03:01 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  
(07-11-2019 01:00 PM)asucrutch23 Wrote:  

On the other hand.....

If Eligwe makes that tackle, Tyson Summers makes a bowl his fist year and we potentially win 7 games. Also that means he highly likely doesn't get fired until 2018 at the earliest, so we'd just now be digging out of the hole we were in.

I'm good with where we are.

[Image: giphy.gif]
07-11-2019 03:48 PM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
(07-11-2019 03:33 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  
(07-11-2019 12:00 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  This discussion has been popping up all over my feed on Twitter and figure this would make for a fun thread.

I thought the FAU game that was 0-0 after regulation was worse. We won in overtime 3-0. That was 2 weeks before that Troy game.

Other bad games was the 2004 UNT game where Jamario Thomas ran all over us. It was a Thursday night ESPN regional game and it rained the whole time. 500 people max in the stands. The UCA loss was pretty terrible to witness too.

Yeah there were A LOT of turnovers by both teams in that game (like 6 or 7 combine). Maybe it's because we both earned the dubios distinction of being involved in the first ever game in NCAA history to go into OT tied zero-zero or maybe it was because I saw Howard Schnellenberger in person for the first time in little ole Jonesboro Arkansas but that Troy game weeks later still sticks in my mind as worse
07-11-2019 04:28 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
1987 NIU lost to Lamar - at home of course. I had never even heard of Lamar.
07-11-2019 04:37 PM
Yarddog Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Troy
Probably the worst game I will ever see was Troy vs Georgia Southern, at Troy. I think in 1995. It was one of Troy's strongest teams ever and I think they would have won the National Title if not for this game.

One of those really unpleasant games where every break, every bounce, every fumble, plus odd or just plain weird things always go against you. One I particularly remember is a pass hit the Troy receiver in the helmet and bounced right into the arms of a GS defender who for some reason was running full out the other way.

Despite all of this, it looked like Troy was still going to win. With less than a minute to go, Troy inside the 10 and trailing by 3, the QB promptly throws a pick right to a defender who was blocked from the QB's view. The defender later said he knew the QB didn't see him and just stepped in front of the receiver.
07-11-2019 04:48 PM
Klak Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
(07-11-2019 04:48 PM)Yarddog Wrote:  Probably the worst game I will ever see was Troy vs Georgia Southern, at Troy. I think in 1995. It was one of Troy's strongest teams ever and I think they would have won the National Title if not for this game.

One of those really unpleasant games where every break, every bounce, every fumble, plus odd or just plain weird things always go against you. One I particularly remember is a pass hit the Troy receiver in the helmet and bounced right into the arms of a GS defender who for some reason was running full out the other way.

Despite all of this, it looked like Troy was still going to win. With less than a minute to go, Troy inside the 10 and trailing by 3, the QB promptly throws a pick right to a defender who was blocked from the QB's view. The defender later said he knew the QB didn't see him and just stepped in front of the receiver.

If it makes you feel any better, GS got murdered by Montana the next week 45-0.

Any of you Troy fans have video of this 95 game? Or our matchup in 85 or 92?
07-11-2019 05:06 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
Not surprisingly, someone's already claimed 05's "The Knee." Soooo, allow me to pick a dandy from 2009.

TXST Vs. Southeast Louisiana.

Through 3 quarters, the Bobcats were pretty much in control of this game, and looked to be marching towards a win. The score after 3 quarters:

TXST 38
SE LA 20

an 18 point lead with 15 to play.
In that 4th period we surrendered 24 points (more points in that 4th quarter than SELA had scored in the previous 3 combined), while only scoring 6. At the end of regulation, we're tied 44 all.
SELA wins in OT 51-50.
From the end of qrt. 3, we surrendered 31 points, while only scoring 12. The crowd at Bobcat stadium was stunned, it was a surreal kick in the gut. I still get nauseous when this one crosses my mind.
07-11-2019 05:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.