Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Off Season Football News
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
Off Season Football News
Everybody play nice, we know how often these off season threads go bad, and Pony loves moving threads, so don't tempt him. He will urban renewal this thread and gentrify the board in a New York minute.

USA Today article on Holgorson's move to Houston

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc...425835002/

It was an easy decision for him. (I don't read coog articles, I barely read coog headlines)
04-12-2019 12:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

I Root For: UH
Off Season Football News
Football needs to hurry up and get here!

Sent from the warp via the ruinous powers of chaos.
04-12-2019 01:08 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
RE: Off Season Football News
Changes that there won't still be 500 separate football threads.....

[Image: giphy.gif]
04-12-2019 07:22 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(04-12-2019 07:22 AM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  Changes that there won't still be 500 separate football threads.....

4900 of them started by ECU folks....most of which begin with the word "Official"...
04-12-2019 12:18 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(04-12-2019 12:18 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  
(04-12-2019 07:22 AM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  Changes that there won't still be 500 separate football threads.....

4900 of them started by ECU folks....most of which begin with the word "Official"...

It's true. 4900/500 ECU football threads are official.
04-12-2019 02:21 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
4/12/19 Update: As of today, UCONN Football still has not been cut.
04-12-2019 04:30 PM
Advertisement

usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
(04-12-2019 04:30 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  4/12/19 Update: As of today, UCONN Football still has not been cut.

More importantly, did anybody's daughter visit this weekend?

USFFan
04-12-2019 04:35 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(04-12-2019 04:35 PM)usffan Wrote:  
(04-12-2019 04:30 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  4/12/19 Update: As of today, UCONN Football still has not been cut.

USFFan

No, but the cat population increased.
04-12-2019 04:46 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(04-12-2019 02:21 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  
(04-12-2019 12:18 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

It's true. 4900/500 ECU football threads are official.

lol oops

read that wrong
04-12-2019 06:53 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(04-12-2019 04:46 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  

USFFan

I'm hungry, could you be so kind as to share your jalapeno mac and cheese recipe? I need something to keep me satisfied until Week 1.
04-12-2019 07:23 PM
canewton Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
Tulsa giving a 2% raise to Phillip Montgomery and Frank Haith, and eliminating 59 degree programs. P6.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/ed...8c9d9.html
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2019 07:52 PM by canewton.)
04-12-2019 07:52 PM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(04-12-2019 07:23 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  
(04-12-2019 04:46 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  

USFFan

I'm hungry, could you be so kind as to share your jalapeno mac and cheese recipe? I need something to keep me satisfied until Week 1.

No. You need to diet if you wanna be in the Mr. CSNBBS calendar.
04-12-2019 08:01 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

(04-12-2019 07:52 PM)canewton Wrote:  Tulsa giving a 2% raise to Phillip Montgomery and Frank Haith, and eliminating 59 degree programs. P6.

Tulsa giving all employees a 2% raise and cutting the 30% of their majors that contain only 6% of their students while expanding other in-demand majors by 600 students?
04-12-2019 08:03 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(04-12-2019 08:03 PM)Chappy Wrote:  
(04-12-2019 07:52 PM)canewton Wrote:  Tulsa giving a 2% raise to Phillip Montgomery and Frank Haith, and eliminating 59 degree programs. P6.

Tulsa giving all employees a 2% raise and cutting the 30% of their majors that contain only 6% of their students while expanding other in-demand majors by 600 students?

This isn't nearly as bad as it reads. Most schools regulate themselves in this manner.
04-12-2019 08:08 PM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

(04-12-2019 08:08 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  

This isn't nearly as bad as it reads. Most schools regulate themselves in this manner.

This is the restructuring I have posted on here about before. This article actually does a pretty good job of getting to the bottom line. The University itself has a synopsis and full run down about it if you want to know the details. The theater department did throw a fit but as pointed out a third of our majors had 6% of our students, that simply won't work.

Bottom line though is this all total the school was losing about half a million dollars a year. Not enough to come close to threatening our stability and that includes the athletic department. The issue was that continuing down the current path with the general demographics causing fewer.college students and the political pressure killing our international student flow would lead to serious trouble, it was wise to make changes. This restructuring has taken a great deal of the administration's attention meaning the athletics by default has been on auto pilot.

That will no longer be the case.

Already it is showing in basketball where Tulsa has hired a former player and experienced assitant and reportedly will be adding another former player with deep aau ties.

Another losing season is almost assuredly the end of Monty as will be missing the tournament for Haith.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2019 08:47 PM by Foreverandever.)
04-12-2019 08:46 PM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
It sucks for the people whose majors were cut, but unfortunately that's life, and it was for the long term health of the university. We had 196 majors for about 4200 total students. If anything it was irresponsible for the school to have that many to start with.
04-12-2019 10:32 PM
Advertisement

canewton Offline
All American

(04-12-2019 08:46 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  

This is the restructuring I have posted on here about before. This article actually does a pretty good job of getting to the bottom line. The University itself has a synopsis and full run down about it if you want to know the details. The theater department did throw a fit but as pointed out a third of our majors had 6% of our students, that simply won't work.

Bottom line though is this all total the school was losing about half a million dollars a year. Not enough to come close to threatening our stability and that includes the athletic department. The issue was that continuing down the current path with the general demographics causing fewer.college students and the political pressure killing our international student flow would lead to serious trouble, it was wise to make changes. This restructuring has taken a great deal of the administration's attention meaning the athletics by default has been on auto pilot.

Already it is showing in basketball where Tulsa has hired a former player and experienced assitant and reportedly will be adding another former player with deep aau ties.

Another losing season is almost assuredly the end of Monty as will be missing the tournament for Haith.

Couple of questions:

#1 I'm sure Monty makes about as much money as the average coach in the AAC. Do you feel like his assistants also have competitive pay? Any figures for how much they're getting paid?

#2 If Monty does get shown the door, is there any chance for Todd Graham to come back? I love beating that guy and his stupid wrist bands.
04-12-2019 11:33 PM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

(04-12-2019 11:33 PM)canewton Wrote:  

Couple of questions:

#1 I'm sure Monty makes about as much money as the average coach in the AAC. Do you feel like his assistants also have competitive pay? Any figures for how much they're getting paid?

#2 If Monty does get shown the door, is there any chance for Todd Graham to come back? I love beating that guy and his stupid wrist bands.

#1 Monty is like 6 or 7 in pay. Haith is right around there as well. Our Olympic sports coaches are probably a little higher more in the 3-5 range. The assistants pool has lagged behind though. One of the main things Tulsa will be doing with the new media money is increase our salary pool for assistants in all sports. For football we don't have an OC and our DC just dropped his co- when Bill Young retired. Reportedly Young was paid 400k which seems a bit behind for me. Without the raw salary of an OC I wouldn't be surprises to see us near the bottom of the conference on assitant salaries.

#2 I wanted him last year and was worried someone else would snatch him up. He is being selective though and has that ASU money coming so he isn't in a hurry. Reportedly on his way to Fayetteville for a dinner thing he went through Tulsa. Several people said he expressed positive feeling towards the school and spoke well of his time there. His wife in particular seems a fan of the community and the school. It's also relatively close to her family. Someone I trust and who knows TG casually ended up on the plane with him and asked how he would feel if Tulsa called him. Graham was ultra positive about it and talked about how the job was a good one that seemed to have gotten better, bigger stage and more opportunities, although no one had reached out to him and he was enjoying his year off.

If we do fire Monty, the AD needs to follow him out the door (our scheduling is horrid, or is terrible, etc) and the first call needs to be Todd Graham for football. At least he understands once you start.scoring on Kitty you don't stop. Plus it makes life easy. We hate you, he hates you, you hate him, you hate us, we win divisions. That's winning all around.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2019 09:17 AM by Foreverandever.)
04-13-2019 09:14 AM
canewton Offline
All American

(04-13-2019 09:14 AM)Foreverandever Wrote:  
(04-12-2019 08:03 PM)Chappy Wrote:  Tulsa giving all employees a 2% raise and cutting the 30% of their majors that contain only 6% of their students while expanding other in-demand majors by 600 students?

Couple of questions:

#1 Monty is like 6 or 7 in pay. Haith is right around there as well. Our Olympic sports coaches are probably a little higher more in the 3-5 range. The assistants pool has lagged behind though. One of the main things Tulsa will be doing with the new media money is increase our salary pool for assistants in all sports. For football we don't have an OC and our DC just dropped his co- when Bill Young retired. Reportedly Young was paid 400k which seems a bit behind for me. Without the raw salary of an OC I wouldn't be surprises to see us near the bottom of the conference on assitant salaries.

#2 I wanted him last year and was worried someone else would snatch him up. He is being selective though and has that ASU money coming so he isn't in a hurry. Reportedly on his way to Fayetteville for a dinner thing he went through Tulsa. Several people said he expressed positive feeling towards the school and spoke well of his time there. His wife in particular seems a fan of the community and the school. It's also relatively close to her family. Someone I trust and who knows TG casually ended up on the plane with him and asked how he would feel if Tulsa called him. Graham was ultra positive about it and talked about how the job was a good one that seemed to have gotten better, bigger stage and more opportunities, although no one had reached out to him and he was enjoying his year off.

If we do fire Monty, the AD needs to follow him out the door (our scheduling is horrid, or is terrible, etc) and the first call needs to be Todd Graham for football. At least he understands once you start.scoring on Kitty you don't stop. Plus it makes life easy. We hate you, he hates you, you hate him, you hate us, we win divisions. That's winning all around.

You think they're going to give that money to monty to pay up for assistants, or are you guys running out the clock and planning on investing in the next guy? Honestly, what happened? How did you guys fall off a cliff?

Also, everyone hates graham, not just cougars.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2019 12:41 PM by canewton.)
04-13-2019 12:40 PM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

(04-13-2019 12:40 PM)canewton Wrote:  
(04-13-2019 09:14 AM)Foreverandever Wrote:  
(04-12-2019 08:08 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  This isn't nearly as bad as it reads. Most schools regulate themselves in this manner.

Couple of questions:

You think they're going to give that money to monty to pay up for assistants, or are you guys running out the clock and planning on investing in the next guy? Honestly, what happened? How did you guys fall off a cliff?

Also, everyone hates graham, not just cougars.

Well people hate losing, so.....

Monty wanted to be an OC and got a job as a head coach. He's a great guy and may end up being a good coach ( Belichick sucked to start) but I'm not sure it will be at Tulsa. He basically has done what Blankenship said he could do with the team once Evan's became an upper classmen. Since then he hasn't produced a quarterback. Our defense has actually improved however and is expected to be slightly better than even last year. We have talent as seen in our close games but Monty is so offensive obsessed and just terrible at game situations, clock management, and in game adjustments that we can't get over the jump imo.
04-13-2019 12:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.