Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Big 12 - ESPN TV Deal (Lots of ESPN+ Content)
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Every deal ESPN has cut recently has included a significant ESPN+ component, and this one is no different. Hundreds of events from all sports will be offered on ESPN+ under a Big 12 brand. Eight of the 10 schools will provide more than 50 exclusive events per year, including at least one football game, any spring football game and any basketball game that is not on an ESPN linear network. Texas, which has Longhorn Network, and Oklahoma, which has its own local rights deal, will not provide content to ESPN+.

Starting in '19, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State and Oklahoma State will provide games for ESPN+. The following year, Iowa State, TCU, West Virginia and Texas Tech will participate.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dail...ig-12.aspx
04-10-2019 09:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
RE: New Big 12 - ESPN TV Deal (Lots of ESPN+ Content)
(04-10-2019 09:00 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  Every deal ESPN has cut recently has included a significant ESPN+ component, and this one is no different. Hundreds of events from all sports will be offered on ESPN+ under a Big 12 brand. Eight of the 10 schools will provide more than 50 exclusive events per year, including at least one football game, any spring football game and any basketball game that is not on an ESPN linear network. Texas, which has Longhorn Network, and Oklahoma, which has its own local rights deal, will not provide content to ESPN+.

Starting in '19, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State and Oklahoma State will provide games for ESPN+. The following year, Iowa State, TCU, West Virginia and Texas Tech will participate.

IE the B12 schools that will be left after OU and Texas bolt. lol

Some AAC members, take a look at your future conference mates.
04-10-2019 09:03 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Todge to enter in 3... 2...
04-10-2019 09:07 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(04-10-2019 09:07 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Todge to enter in 3... 2...

The Wall-o-Text is imminent...

batten down the hatches, get the women and children to high ground, FAST
04-10-2019 09:10 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(04-10-2019 09:00 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  Every deal ESPN has cut recently has included a significant ESPN+ component, and this one is no different. Hundreds of events from all sports will be offered on ESPN+ under a Big 12 brand. Eight of the 10 schools will provide more than 50 exclusive events per year, including at least one football game, any spring football game and any basketball game that is not on an ESPN linear network. Texas, which has Longhorn Network, and Oklahoma, which has its own local rights deal, will not provide content to ESPN+.

The fear that the AAC would be treated differently than elements of the P5 concerning ESPN+ are - as I suspected - unfounded.
04-10-2019 09:13 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(04-10-2019 09:03 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

IE the B12 schools that will be left after OU and Texas bolt. lol

Some AAC members, take a look at your future conference mates.

The new Big 12 is already foming 03-wink
04-10-2019 09:14 AM
Advertisement

zoocrew Offline
Banned

I Root For: PITT, NAVY, MBB
One step closer to that ESPN sponsored Big 12/AAC mashup conference lol.

Crazy because just a couple weeks ago all I read on the main board was “Only a irrelevant conference would put content behind a pay wall”. And “no one is ever going to pay extra money for ESPN+”

But now this is a win for the Big 12 because ESPN + is the future.
04-10-2019 09:15 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I posted this on the Conference Realignment board, but ESPN is just setting it up so that every college football fan is going to have to get ESPN+, P5/G5 alike.
04-10-2019 09:22 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Why isn't Oklahoma behind this pay wall?
04-10-2019 09:26 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(04-10-2019 09:26 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  Why isn't Oklahoma behind this pay wall?

They seem to have a sweetheart deal, like Boise and the MWC.
04-10-2019 09:27 AM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
(04-10-2019 09:22 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I posted this on the Conference Realignment board, but ESPN is just setting it up so that every college football fan is going to have to get ESPN+, P5/G5 alike.

Fine with me. CBSNN was $10/month under my cable plan so I just canceled that and will pay the $5/month for espn+ shortly
04-10-2019 09:27 AM
Advertisement

CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
In the new deal, which includes three championship games and ESPN+ rights, ESPN will pay a total of around $40M. When this agreement is added to the current media-rights deal that still has six years to run, the conference will average $22M per year, sources said.

Wow. Per a January article, the Big 12 was seeking $20M per year for its football title game. So it sold three title games and third tier rights for eight schools for $40M total.

Works out to $10M per title game, and $10M for the third tier rights over 5 years.

Or $5M per title game, and $20M for five year's worth of third tier rights.
04-10-2019 09:29 AM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
(04-10-2019 09:27 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  

Texas has it's own network.

OU makes almost as much as Texas through it third tier rights mostly to a regional channel and ppv. Both are making way more than any other big xii team.

Texas and OU are not leaving the Big Xii, and this is why.
04-10-2019 09:36 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(04-10-2019 09:36 AM)Foreverandever Wrote:  

OU makes almost as much as Texas through it third tier rights mostly to a regional channel and ppv. Both are making way more than any other big xii team.

Just one of several reasons Ive been saying I actually think Texas and Oklahoma will not go anywhere. Sure, they will flirt and use that as leverage to get the best possible deal from thier panicked conference mates, but I don’t think they move. That kind of wandering eye behavior is also why nobody from the safe stable Pac12 is going to leave to join the Big12, where the king pins threaten to leave at the end of every tv deal.

As for this Big12/ESPN+ deal—-the AAC no longer has to be concerned it has games on a platform where no P5 content exists. My guess is every P5 deal from here on will have some sort of ESPN+ component. While I think that’s the goal—I’m curious to see how that’s going to work with conferences that have a linear conference network. Might ESPN+ become the digital mirror for some conference networks content?
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2019 10:01 AM by Attackcoog.)
04-10-2019 09:55 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
(04-10-2019 09:55 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Just one of several reasons Ive been saying I actually think Texas and Oklahoma will not go anywhere. Sure, they will flirt and use that as leverage to get the best possible deal from thier panicked conference mates, but I don’t think they move. That kind of wandering eye behavior is also why nobody from the safe stable Pac12 is going to leave to join the Big12, where the king pins threaten to leave at the end of every tv deal.

As for this Big12/ESPN+ deal—-the AAC no longer has to be concerned it has games on a platform where no P5 content exists. My guess is every P5 deal from here on will have some sort of ESPN+ component. While I think that’s the goal—I’m curious to see how that’s going to work with conferences that have a linear conference network. Might ESPN+ become the digital mirror for some conference networks content?

Yeah I think the measuring stick will end up being the number of football games each conference puts on +. Sounds like the B12 isn't putting a ton on there to start. Did it say 1 game per season for some teams, then 1 game per season for "most" teams in the second year?
04-10-2019 10:21 AM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
The BigXII is screwed now.
Production costs will be AT LEAST $7M per school per year.
04-10-2019 10:51 AM
Advertisement

Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
(04-10-2019 09:55 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

I doubt it. The ACC sure, the rest will be wedging their digital rights into their networks regardless of linear broadcast. They will cut out all the middle men and fans will pay direct for streaming.
04-10-2019 12:07 PM
MechaKnight Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF, UAB, Army
(04-10-2019 09:55 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  My guess is every P5 deal from here on will have some sort of ESPN+ component.

Not just every P5 deal, but every sport ESPN broadcasts. They've already got NHL, UEFA, MLB, UFC and more. Want to have your big games on ESPN cable? Then you're putting your lower profile stuff on ESPN+

They're starting small. Get a few games from each league at a very low price in order to build a broad subscriber base. Then increase content and revenue over time.

(04-10-2019 10:51 AM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  The BigXII is screwed now.
Production costs will be AT LEAST $7M per school per year.

I read this on the CUSA board, it must be true 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2019 12:13 PM by MechaKnight.)
04-10-2019 12:12 PM
ECBrad Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
Yeah UFC cards go up on ESPN+. It's not a bad place to be.
04-10-2019 12:44 PM
TampaTom Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
The New Big XII

UCF, USF, Memphis, Cincinnati, Iowa State, West Virginia
Houston, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, Kansas, Kansas State

Oklahoma State to wherever Oklahoma goes?
04-10-2019 01:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.