Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bobby Petrino tried to get bought out?
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Bobby Petrino tried to get bought out?
https://www.si.com/college-football/2019...by-petrino

Satterfield won’t put it so bluntly, but it was almost as if the people who had stocked Louisville’s roster hadn’t planned to be there long enough to coach it.
04-02-2019 01:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: Bobby Petrino tried to get bought out?
15 WR and 1 TE. No recruiting meetings. No one is welcome in the coaches office.

Sounds like they didn't plan on being around long.

Hopefully Satterfield can get it turned around in 2 years. Next year would have to be considered a rebuilding year.
04-02-2019 01:57 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Well that's an eye opener.
04-02-2019 03:28 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(04-02-2019 01:38 PM)XLance Wrote:  https://www.si.com/college-football/2019...by-petrino

Satterfield won’t put it so bluntly, but it was almost as if the people who had stocked Louisville’s roster hadn’t planned to be there long enough to coach it.

My favorite part of that article:
Quote:It looked from the outside as if Petrino and his staff were tanking with the hope of getting bought out. The stories that have seeped out since Petrino was fired on Nov. 11 have only deepened that suspicion. The staff didn’t hold regular recruiting meetings—something every staff in the country does. Only one person, the director of football operations, had the head coach’s cell phone number. Players had no idea where the head coach’s office was because they weren’t welcome there. High school coaches weren’t allowed to watch practice. These are the things a coaching staff does if it wants to drive a program into the ground, and if that was the goal, Petrino succeeded mightily.

IOW, couldn't done much worse if he was TRYING to get fired (which, maybe, he was).
04-02-2019 03:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
Clearly bobby quit caring and for that alone i'm feeling a certain type of way.....05-mafia
04-03-2019 11:48 AM
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
As more and more of this comes to light here in Louisville, there is lotsa talk (at least amongst the fans) about putting a "stop payment" on the next buy out check being sent to Bobby, and forcing him to defend himself in court over his buyout.

Not doing the basics of your job (like holding weekly recruiting meetings, and not being available for your staff (only having one person on staff have your cell phone number), or not being available for your players (kids not knowing where the coaches office is)) seems like grounds for firing WITH cause.

Part of me wants to do that, to save some of that $14 million ... Part of me just wants to turn the page. We're involved in other litigation with former head coaches afterall.
04-03-2019 03:45 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(04-03-2019 03:45 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  As more and more of this comes to light here in Louisville, there is lotsa talk (at least amongst the fans) about putting a "stop payment" on the next buy out check being sent to Bobby, and forcing him to defend himself in court over his buyout.

Not doing the basics of your job (like holding weekly recruiting meetings, and not being available for your staff (only having one person on staff have your cell phone number), or not being available for your players (kids not knowing where the coaches office is)) seems like grounds for firing WITH cause.

Part of me wants to do that, to save some of that $14 million ... Part of me just wants to turn the page. We're involved in other litigation with former head coaches afterall.

Turning the page is probably the best course for now. Unfortunately, from a contract standpoint, incompetence is probably not considered "cause" for dismissal. If the Cards can't find anything in all the sleaze surrounding Petrino to justify his being fired for cause, making himself hard to reach probably isn't going to do the trick. I just wish AD's would learn their lesson and stop giving coaches these ridiculous buyout clauses.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2019 10:55 AM by ken d.)
04-03-2019 04:18 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Louisville got what it deserved with Petrino. They never should’ve hired him a second time.
04-03-2019 09:42 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

(04-03-2019 09:42 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  Louisville got what it deserved with Petrino. They never should’ve hired him a second time.

I'm sure he seemed like he had learned his lesson. Plus, don't forget that when Charlie Strong was hired away by Texas, that put the Cardinals in a tough situation needing a head coach ASAP.
04-04-2019 06:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
(04-03-2019 09:42 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  Louisville got what it deserved with Petrino. They never should’ve hired him a second time.

Completely agree. I was one of the vocal ones saying I don't want him back....... so tom jurich took my opinion into consideration obviously.03-banghead

I'm just glad our house is finally clean. And with Coach Satt and Mack we can finally shed that "slime ball" image both Petrino and Pitino gave us.
04-04-2019 11:16 AM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

(04-04-2019 11:16 AM)HRFlossY Wrote:  

Completely agree. I was one of the vocal ones saying I don't want him back....... so tom jurich took my opinion into consideration obviously.03-banghead

I'm just glad our house is finally clean. And with Coach Satt and Mack we can finally shed that "slime ball" image both Petrino and Pitino gave us.

[Image: Pet_032.png]
04-04-2019 12:52 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(04-04-2019 11:16 AM)HRFlossY Wrote:  

Dr. von Yinzer ... agreed. Hind sight is kinda funny that way.

HR Flossy ... I wasn't one who was vocal against the hire. I was cautiously optimistic. Not because I thought Bobby wasn't good the first time around -- he was. But because it is RARE that coaches go back to a place and repeat the success they had the first time around.

As far as Satterfield goes, he's a breath of fresh air. I hope like hell he can create the culture here he did at App State. If he does, we will have a lot of fun. That remains to be seen. But I love the staff he's assembled. Hopefully they can get it done.
04-04-2019 04:30 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
Petrino is a leopard, he cannot change his spots. He has always been about Bobby Petrino as the first 100 on is list of important things. Money was the next 100. Anything else had an impossible hill to climb, unless he could use for the benefit of the first 200 most important things on his list. Louisville got what they deserved, they would have been better served by naming an interim coach (like they did in hoops) and riding a year of uncertainty while ensuring to get the right person for the job.

Honestly, his lack of job performance of basic duties is more than enough cause to stop payment. I would enjoy watching Louisville do so. Then, let Petrino sue Louisville for payment. He was fraudulent in his efforts to maintain a decent program (this is NOT a slight on Louisville or the players). He cannot come to court with clean hands and I have a hard time believing he would win over a jury in a claim he put forth an honest effort, let alone his best effort, to maintain Louisville football.
04-06-2019 11:40 AM
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Once Tom was gone He had no incentive to remain in Louisville. He coached poorly His last year here. I doubt anyone will ever pick Him up as a HC.
04-08-2019 11:09 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(04-08-2019 11:09 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Once Tom was gone He had no incentive to remain in Louisville. He coached poorly His last year here. I doubt anyone will ever pick Him up as a HC.

He's done.
04-09-2019 12:36 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
You Louisville fans can share more light on this, but do you folks think that the passing of his father had any bearing on his performance? His fathers passing seems to coincide with him just not caring anymore.
04-09-2019 10:27 AM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
(04-03-2019 04:18 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(04-03-2019 03:45 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  As more and more of this comes to light here in Louisville, there is lotsa talk (at least amongst the fans) about putting a "stop payment" on the next buy out check being sent to Bobby, and forcing him to defend himself in court over his buyout.

Turning the page is probably the best course for now. Unfortunately, from a contract standpoint, incompetence is probably not considered "cause" for dismissal. If the Cards can't find anything in all the sleaze surrounding Petrino to justify his being fired for cause, making himself hard to reach probably isn't going to do the trick. I just wish AD's would learn their lesson and stop giving coaches these ridiculous buyout clauses.

YES. Especially when there is no competition for them, guys like Petrino, Ogeron, Helton. When did massive buyouts just become the default.

It has to change. I don't care if coaching salaries go up...a coach that wins is always worth every dime and then some...but somebody has to stand up to these buyouts in the contracts of 2nd and 3rd tier coaches.
04-09-2019 03:16 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(04-09-2019 10:27 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  You Louisville fans can share more light on this, but do you folks think that the passing of his father had any bearing on his performance? His fathers passing seems to coincide with him just not caring anymore.

Yes ... this was DEFINITELY a big deal. Petrino didn't have close friends to lean on for guidance in tough times. His father filled that role, especially with regard to football matters. Bobby got advice from him, for little and big things on the gridiron.

When things started spiraling, Bobby had no way out.

Sad to watch. Don't wish ill on him, or anyone (even that a$$hole Pitino) ... but glad we have Satterfield now. I am optimistic he can get the ship going in the right direction.
04-09-2019 10:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.