Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Justin Fields
Bookmark and Share
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...keyes-2019

Absolutely asinine reason for a player to get a hardship waiver. His safety is threatened because someone from the student section called him a name? Heck, I think every opponent player that has visited Paulson Stadium with the student section behind their backs should get a waiver as well.

Is this the beginning of the slide towards no transfer barriers and us becoming the farm system for the P5?
02-09-2019 11:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
RE: OT: Justin Fields
(02-09-2019 11:07 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...keyes-2019

Absolutely asinine reason for a player to get a hardship waiver. His safety is threatened because someone from the student section called him a name? Heck, I think every opponent player that has visited Paulson Stadium with the student section behind their backs should get a waiver as well.

Is this the beginning of the slide towards no transfer barriers and us becoming the farm system for the P5?

I was about to say. I sat once next to UGA students at a football game many years ago. Its an experience I will certainly never forget.

That being said, the incident in question involved a racial epithet, and it got hurled by what was a member of school's baseball team. That complicates matters significantly.
02-10-2019 01:33 AM
SBEagle Offline
1st String

(02-10-2019 01:33 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(02-09-2019 11:07 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...keyes-2019

I was about to say. I sat once next to UGA students at a football game many years ago. Its an experience I will certainly never forget.

That being said, the incident in question involved a racial epithet, and it got hurled by what was a member of school's baseball team. That complicates matters significantly.

What also complicates things is apparently Fields younger sister just signed to play softball at UGA. I guess it doesn’t bother her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
02-10-2019 02:54 AM
debragga Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM

This just in: every GS player awarded a waiver because they had water thrown on them by ULM students
02-10-2019 11:23 AM
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
I do think is a few years we'll see a large downside to portal/waivers. Good G5 players will play a year or two and move up unless they're in love with the school.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2019 01:17 PM by Yosef Himself.)
02-10-2019 01:16 PM
HappyAppy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: App
I’m torn here. I’m almost always going to side with the kid over the NCAA/school, but this is dumb. Everybody knows why he is leaving.

The NCAA has shown time and time again that they can’t be fair and consistent in these type of rulings. Get rid of this waiver process and simplify the rule. The 1 year sitting out rule is necessary but you can still make it more fair to the player.

Let them transfer where they want, when they want. They have to sit out a year, but it has no impact on their eligibility. If someone plays their true freshman season and then leaves in offseason, they sit out a year, but then they resume as a true sophomore (meaning they could still redshirt if they get hurt or don’t play that year). One time only with no loss of eligibility. If they leave again, they sit out a year and lose a season (or lose redshirt if they haven’t already used that).

No “coaches list” of where they can and can’t go. If I want to leave Alabama for Auburn, oh well.

If a coach leaves, anybody from that years class who is already signed can break their NLI. If they choose to honor it, the new coach has to honor it.

I think something like that is fair. It’s a better deal for the athlete, but it doesn’t blow the system up and turn us into a feeder system for the big schools.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2019 06:51 AM by HappyAppy.)
02-11-2019 06:50 AM
Eagle's Cliff Offline
1st String

Now we know when a transfer comes in, he just has to say he felt threatened at his previous school and he plays immediately.
02-11-2019 10:17 AM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(02-10-2019 02:54 AM)SBEagle Wrote:  

What also complicates things is apparently Fields younger sister just signed to play softball at UGA. I guess it doesn’t bother her.

Did she have someone yelling down from the stands at her? She doesn't have to be bothered by something she hasn't experienced personally.
02-11-2019 10:42 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(02-11-2019 06:50 AM)HappyAppy Wrote:  I’m torn here. I’m almost always going to side with the kid over the NCAA/school, but this is dumb. Everybody knows why he is leaving.

The NCAA has shown time and time again that they can’t be fair and consistent in these type of rulings. Get rid of this waiver process and simplify the rule. The 1 year sitting out rule is necessary but you can still make it more fair to the player.

Let them transfer where they want, when they want. They have to sit out a year, but it has no impact on their eligibility. If someone plays their true freshman season and then leaves in offseason, they sit out a year, but then they resume as a true sophomore (meaning they could still redshirt if they get hurt or don’t play that year). One time only with no loss of eligibility. If they leave again, they sit out a year and lose a season (or lose redshirt if they haven’t already used that).

No “coaches list” of where they can and can’t go. If I want to leave Alabama for Auburn, oh well.

If a coach leaves, anybody from that years class who is already signed can break their NLI. If they choose to honor it, the new coach has to honor it.

I think something like that is fair. It’s a better deal for the athlete, but it doesn’t blow the system up and turn us into a feeder system for the big schools.

My issue with the rule is the justification by the NCAA. They claim it is to allow players the time to adjust to their new school, schedules, staff's and all other pertinent items that come with a change in scenery. However, if this were the case, all True Freshman should be forced to sit out a year while adjusting to college life.
02-11-2019 10:44 AM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

(02-11-2019 10:44 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  My issue with the rule is the justification by the NCAA. They claim it is to allow players the time to adjust to their new school, schedules, staff's and all other pertinent items that come with a change in scenery. However, if this were the case, all True Freshman should be forced to sit out a year while adjusting to college life.

I think the programs of DI have the right to make rules to protect their own programs.

There's nothing oppressive or unique about the rule. Coaches have buyout clauses that keep them from moving around at will, and just because they're useless to prevent a coach being poached from a school that can triple his salary doesn't mean they prevent a lot of movement.

If you're renting and you have to move for whatever reason you have to pay a penalty is you leave before your lease it up.

I mean, I feel for elite high-school athletes who have to go through the NCAA system to get to the NFL, but it's not like the NCAA has any power to decide how far out of high school players have to be to be eligible for the draft or whether or not the NFL has a developmental league. College athletics shouldn't be blown up just to make it fair for 1% of athletes in 1 or 2 of the NCAA's dozens of sports. That's a load of crap.

And if the college-athletes-are-oppressed crowd eventually wins, most of that crowd will be the ones complaining that colleges are running professional ball clubs and it takes away from the academic mission of the school, blah blah blah.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2019 11:35 AM by EigenEagle.)
02-11-2019 11:29 AM
Advertisement

KJ Eagle Offline
1st String

(02-11-2019 10:42 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(02-10-2019 02:54 AM)SBEagle Wrote:  

Did she have someone yelling down from the stands at her? She doesn't have to be bothered by something she hasn't experienced personally.

The student section is nowhere near the uga bench. He didn't hear anything. He found out about it like everyone else did, after the fact. It wasn't a threat, so there should have been no fear of safety at all. It was simply a disgusting word and the baseball player was severely punished for it (rightfully so).

Everyone knows it was a BS excuse and everyone knew that the NCAA was going to cave on it. They could not afford the PC backlash if they didn't grant him the waiver.
02-11-2019 01:09 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

that's exactly it. NCAA didn't want to have to deal with it since it was a racial thing.
02-11-2019 03:16 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Two reasons why Fields is transferring: 1.) He wants access to NFL ASAP, 2.) He failed to beat out Jake Fromm.
02-12-2019 12:46 PM
Advertisement

GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
I'm not black, so obviously I will never know what what it feels like for a 18yrs old minority to stay somewhere alone in a predominantly white place, especially in the deep South. He might have felt like he didnt belong at UGA all along. The baseball incident couldve added more anxiety and insecurities, not knowing if that baseball player and his friends would confront him somewhere at night when he is alone. Maybe it's not the fact that whether he heard it or not, but just knowing that other students like the baseball player in question are out and about on the same campus is enough for him to feel threatened.

For example, when I took LSAT at Clarke Atlanta due to space availability, the whole experience of spending a day at a HBCU felt strange. If I had chosen to spend my undergrad years at Clarke Atlanta, I would've felt little withdrawn and out of place every day. If a Clarke Atlanta baseball player targeted me just because I'm a minority on that campus (in this hypothetical sitaution, let's say there is a history of persecution by the blacks), I would've gotten the hell outta there too. Add to the fact Fromm is the unquestioned starter, why would he stay to deal with that headache? So idk, it might be emotionally complicated for Justin. Of course, everything could be complete BS, I dont know what Justin is thinking and I will never know what it is like to be a black guy.

Anyone here an African-American who studied on a predominantly white campus? Maybe that person could add some insights that we wouldn't normally consider.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2019 01:10 PM by GSUALUM17.)
02-12-2019 01:04 PM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

(02-12-2019 01:04 PM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  I'm not black, so obviously I will never know what what it feels like for a 18yrs old minority to stay somewhere alone in a predominantly white place, especially in the deep South. He might have felt like he didnt belong at UGA all along. The baseball incident couldve added more anxiety and insecurities, not knowing if that baseball player and his friends would confront him somewhere at night when he is alone. Maybe it's not the fact that whether he heard it or not, but just knowing that other students like the baseball player in question are out and about on the same campus is enough for him to feel threatened.

For example, when I took LSAT at Clarke Atlanta due to space availability, the whole experience of spending a day at a HBCU felt strange. If I had chosen to spend my undergrad years at Clarke Atlanta, I would've felt little withdrawn and out of place every day. If a Clarke Atlanta baseball player targeted me just because I'm a minority on that campus (in this hypothesis, let's say there is a history of persecution by the blacks), I would've gotten the hell outta there too. Add to the fact Fromm is the unquestioned starter, why would he stay to deal with that headache? So idk, it might be emotionally complicated for Justin. Of course, everything could be complete BS, I dont know what Justin is thinking and I will never know what it is like to be a black guy.

Anyone here an African-American who studied on a predominantly white campus? Maybe that person could add some insights that we wouldn't normally consider.

You may not be black, but you're also not an elite high school athlete. I can promise you that guy hasn't exactly been ostracized on the campus, even in the south (actually, I'd say especially in the south). To be a scholarship athlete, let alone one on in the SEC would make you very privileged academically and socially on campus. Anyone who thinks that doesn't blow the advantages of being white completely out of the water has lost their GD mind.

Now maybe the guy has had threatening texts sent to him or has had a brick thrown in his window, then maybe I'd have a little more sympathy for him, but if this is all something someone said in the student section then there's a problem.
02-12-2019 01:17 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

again, if it was so bad for him on UGA's campus, do you really think his sister would be going to school there too?
02-12-2019 09:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.