Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Homer Announcers
Bookmark and Share
Tealblood Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CCU
Homer Announcers
I thought that part of the espn+ Package would be that for all conference games on the platform we were to get “neutral” announcers obviously some of you guys just skipped right over that

I get frustrated when I can’t get out to a CCU game at home and watch on espn+ and have to listen to Nate Ross as opposed to “our” guy

Clearly not all Sun Belt schools are doing this
02-08-2019 06:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
RE: Homer Announcers
(02-08-2019 06:49 AM)Tealblood Wrote:  I thought that part of the espn+ Package would be that for all conference games on the platform we were to get “neutral” announcers obviously some of you guys just skipped right over that

I get frustrated when I can’t get out to a CCU game at home and watch on espn+ and have to listen to Nate Ross as opposed to “our” guy

Clearly not all Sun Belt schools are doing this

Pretty sure the package with ESPN was them supplying HD equipment to each school and the schools were responsible for training and supplying camera operaator, announcers, and any other part of the production. The Cajuns have a contract with Learfield, and I think they handle the "on air" talent for the various sports.
02-08-2019 12:37 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
Our "homer" GSU announcer Dave Cohen only broadcasts on GSU Panthervision. For ESPN+, we hired a local 92.9 sports radio guy Sam Crenshaw, but he could be little homerish toward local Atlanra teams like Georgia State.
02-08-2019 01:19 PM
ChattValleyTrojan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Troy and Auburn
For Troy's home basketball and baseball the announcers are our Play by Play(Barry McKnight) and color commentator(Jerry Miller) from the Troy Sports Network. And they have someone else do the radio broadcast. I don't know who does our home football games.
02-08-2019 03:16 PM
InjunJohn86 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ULM
I know for ULM we have had different play by play callers but the color guy has been Mike Vining, retired ULM coach. I haven't watched a complete game with him, as I am at the games, but what I have watched in replays he seems to try and stay neutral. Doesn't stop the occasional "we" coming out and, obviously, the home color guy will know that team better so he might have the tendency to talk more about the home team. I have watched a few games. The only one I thought was too much of a homer were the ones from Ga State. Like the Cajuns, ULM contracts with Learfield so we may well be using some of the same play by play folks.
02-08-2019 03:52 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Yeah the promise wasn’t neutral announcers. Just help with setting up HD capabilities. Schools are on their own to hire out. Since most of us don’t care enough about basketball to pay for neutrality we’re hiring a lot of former employees and coaches to broadcast. The result is this.
02-08-2019 04:10 PM
Advertisement

GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

(02-08-2019 03:52 PM)InjunJohn86 Wrote:  I know for ULM we have had different play by play callers but the color guy has been Mike Vining, retired ULM coach. I haven't watched a complete game with him, as I am at the games, but what I have watched in replays he seems to try and stay neutral. Doesn't stop the occasional "we" coming out and, obviously, the home color guy will know that team better so he might have the tendency to talk more about the home team. I have watched a few games. The only one I thought was too much of a homer were the ones from Ga State. Like the Cajuns, ULM contracts with Learfield so we may well be using some of the same play by play folks.

I was about to say the same thing about that old man calling for ULM.
02-08-2019 05:37 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

The announcers on ESPN2 for GSU vs ULL seem pretty neutral. Very refreshing after listening to some of these broadcasters around the SunBelt
02-08-2019 09:31 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(02-08-2019 09:31 PM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  The announcers on ESPN2 for GSU vs ULL seem pretty neutral. Very refreshing after listening to some of these broadcasters around the SunBelt

I would agree with that: "Fair and Balanced" I think they call it . . . .
02-08-2019 09:37 PM
InjunJohn86 Offline
Special Teams

(02-08-2019 05:37 PM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  
(02-08-2019 03:52 PM)InjunJohn86 Wrote:  I know for ULM we have had different play by play callers but the color guy has been Mike Vining, retired ULM coach. I haven't watched a complete game with him, as I am at the games, but what I have watched in replays he seems to try and stay neutral. Doesn't stop the occasional "we" coming out and, obviously, the home color guy will know that team better so he might have the tendency to talk more about the home team. I have watched a few games. The only one I thought was too much of a homer were the ones from Ga State. Like the Cajuns, ULM contracts with Learfield so we may well be using some of the same play by play folks.

That "old man" has 402 wins, 7 NCAA tournament appearances and is a member of the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame
02-09-2019 12:21 AM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

(02-09-2019 12:21 AM)InjunJohn86 Wrote:  

That "old man" has 402 wins, 7 NCAA tournament appearances and is a member of the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame

Great non-sequitur from a conversation about local homer announcers, which he definitely is.
02-09-2019 12:41 AM
Advertisement

InjunJohn86 Offline
Special Teams

(02-09-2019 12:41 AM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  

Great non-sequitur from a conversation about local homer announcers, which he definitely is.

You were being a jerk with the "old man" comment so I decided to educate you about what that "old man" has done. I imagine he has forgotten more about basketball than you will ever know. A guy who coached there and is doing his first ever color commentary probable will be a bit of a homer. But before you even think about talking crap about any announcer, for any school, being a homer, go listen to the guys who cover Georgia State. They don't even try to hide it
02-09-2019 08:55 AM
MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
I've noticed watching CUSA games that there seemed to be a correlation between homerisim and smaller market teams. The smaller the market the bigger the homers with a few exceptions. La Tech's announcers seem to be pretty neutral while UAB's were goober homers.
02-09-2019 11:37 AM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

(02-09-2019 08:55 AM)InjunJohn86 Wrote:  

You were being a jerk with the "old man" comment so I decided to educate you about what that "old man" has done. I imagine he has forgotten more about basketball than you will ever know. A guy who coached there and is doing his first ever color commentary probable will be a bit of a homer. But before you even think about talking crap about any announcer, for any school, being a homer, go listen to the guys who cover Georgia State. They don't even try to hide it

The old man says "we" a lot

edit: ok ill stop teasing ya. here is my serious answer.

You identified the term "old man" as a sign of disrespect and worked yourself into a frenzy, when I really said "old man" because that's what I remembered about him. If you think about it, we don't find the term "young man" as insulting.

Also there is an ironic aspect of your comment that is also pretty funny. So you said, "before you think about taking crap about any announcer, go listen to your guy." Isn't that exactly what you just did? Notice how this conversation started, with you talking crap about another announcer. haha sorry, not being mean, I just found your comments humorous and couldn't help myself to let you go on.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2019 03:00 PM by GSUALUM17.)
02-09-2019 12:42 PM
ragin4u Offline
WOKE AF

I Root For: Louisiana & Magat Tears
Sync up your local radio broadcast.
02-09-2019 01:12 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
I don't know who is broadcasting for Troy today but I think they're doing a pretty good job.
02-09-2019 03:54 PM
Advertisement

Macho America Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: A-State
I personally like homer announcers.
02-09-2019 04:33 PM
InjunJohn86 Offline
Special Teams

(02-09-2019 12:42 PM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  
(02-08-2019 05:37 PM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  I was about to say the same thing about that old man calling for ULM.

You identified the term "old man" as a sign of disrespect and worked yourself into a frenzy, when I really said "old man" because that's what I remembered about him. If you think about it, we don't find the term "young man" as insulting.

Also there is an ironic aspect of your comment that is also pretty funny. So you said, "before you think about taking crap about any announcer, go listen to your guy." Isn't that exactly what you just did? Notice how this conversation started, with you talking crap about another announcer. haha sorry, not being mean, I just found your comments humorous and couldn't help myself to let you go on.

And if you paid attention to what I said, I stated that I hadn't watched our games because I was at them, but what I saw wasn't that bad, even though I admitted that he did say "we". Not sure how you would expect the term "old man" to be taken any way other than derogatory. All you had to say was the color announcer. But, if you say you didn't mean it as an insult, I will accept that. The play by play calls for ULM games have been rotated through different folks and don't work for ULM. Mike Vining is the only one that had a connection to the university.
02-09-2019 05:23 PM
debragga Offline
1st String

(02-09-2019 05:23 PM)InjunJohn86 Wrote:  
(02-09-2019 12:21 AM)InjunJohn86 Wrote:  That "old man" has 402 wins, 7 NCAA tournament appearances and is a member of the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame

And if you paid attention to what I said, I stated that I hadn't watched our games because I was at them, but what I saw wasn't that bad, even though I admitted that he did say "we". Not sure how you would expect the term "old man" to be taken any way other than derogatory. All you had to say was the color announcer. But, if you say you didn't mean it as an insult, I will accept that. The play by play calls for ULM games have been rotated through different folks and don't work for ULM. Mike Vining is the only one that had a connection to the university.

[Image: c4a.gif]
02-09-2019 06:19 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

(02-09-2019 05:23 PM)InjunJohn86 Wrote:  
(02-09-2019 12:21 AM)InjunJohn86 Wrote:  That "old man" has 402 wins, 7 NCAA tournament appearances and is a member of the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame

So follow your own advice and dont point your finger at anybody else.

For the ULM game, there were 2 announcers. One guy appeared pretty young, while the other guy seemed really old. Hence, I chose my description of the guy in question as the "old man." Does that make it clearer?
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2019 03:28 AM by GSUALUM17.)
02-09-2019 06:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.