Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

GS ranked high research University R2 by Carnegie.
Bookmark and Share
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
Just saw that GS has been given an R2 by Carnegie. I thought we got this last year too, but maybe it was a slightly lower level. Not yet an R1, but that puts GS in the top 6% of universities ranked. How did other SBC schools do? Is GSU R1, I would think it is based on all the research they do?

This are nice rankings, but sometimes they don't tell the whole story or go with each mission statement. I think GS is still trying to balance growth, students, and research. GS definitely needs more funding though, endowments are low.
12-21-2018 08:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
We got our R2 announcement last week. It’s based on research.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
12-21-2018 08:42 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
RE: GS ranked high research University R2 by Carnegie.
According to the StAte thread, it's Georgia Southern, ULL, UALR, UTA, Texas State, Arkansas State and South Alabama that are all classified as R2 universities. I believe UTA and GAST are the only R1 universities in the conference which makes sense as they are the only teams in a major metro area and both have large night school programs.

Georgia Southern is in a weird middle ground with funding in the state. We get over twice what the other comprehensive universities get but only half of what the research universities get. We are the AAC of the State of Georgia. Maybe if we pull an AAC and start calling ourselves a research university, it'll stick. It's not exactly fair that Augusta University gets to call itself a research university when they are classified as an R3 school.
12-21-2018 08:56 AM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
Does that make us the Big 10 of Georgia 03-razz

I think the difference is...GSU professors (the permanent ones who are on track to be tenured) primarily do research at GSU. Research is their primarily job and teaching is sort of a side gig for them.

Our undergrad programs are probably at the similar level as Gerogia Southern and other SBC schools . Generally speaking, of course.
12-21-2018 09:23 AM
PrideoftheStAte Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Arkansas State
12-21-2018 10:16 AM
Advertisement

ApexRedWolf Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Arkansas State
(12-21-2018 09:23 AM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  Does that make us the Big 10 of Georgia 03-razz

I think the difference is...GSU professors (the permanent ones who are on track to be tenured) primarily do research at GSU. Research is their primarily job and teaching is sort of a side gig for them.

Our undergrad programs are probably at the similar level as Gerogia Southern and other SBC schools . Generally speaking, of course.

It's usually tied to a number of factors but research dollars and PhD grads are the big ones. And you're right, having permanent reserch faculty is a huge step. Most schools can't afford to hire faculty w/o a teaching load. ReasecH Faculty that "buy out" their teaching loads every semester with research dollars is the mid step. Then, when you get rich enough you hire research faculty that rarely teach at all. Just high level special courses or techniques classes when they feel like it.

I feel like the jump from R2 to R1 is large. I don't see anyone besides USA making that leap any time soon. Just look at the research dollars from R2 to R1...they're a different magnitude.
12-21-2018 11:17 AM
CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
(12-21-2018 11:17 AM)ApexRedWolf Wrote:  
(12-21-2018 09:23 AM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  Does that make us the Big 10 of Georgia 03-razz

It's usually tied to a number of factors but research dollars and PhD grads are the big ones. And you're right, having permanent reserch faculty is a huge step. Most schools can't afford to hire faculty w/o a teaching load. ReasecH Faculty that "buy out" their teaching loads every semester with research dollars is the mid step. Then, when you get rich enough you hire research faculty that rarely teach at all. Just high level special courses or techniques classes when they feel like it.

I feel like the jump from R2 to R1 is large. I don't see anyone besides USA making that leap any time soon. Just look at the research dollars from R2 to R1...they're a different magnitude.

I don't know what the requirement for research dollars runs, but UL's went over $100M this year for the first time.
12-21-2018 11:45 AM
GreatAppSt Offline
1st String

I Root For:
R 2 Awards are awesome!

[Image: 220px-Star_Wars_and_the_Power_of_Costume..._IV%29.jpg]
12-21-2018 03:13 PM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(12-21-2018 11:45 AM)CajunAmos Wrote:  

I don't know what the requirement for research dollars runs, but UL's went over $100M this year for the first time.

UTA has been ranked by Carnegie as R1-high research doctoral university for some time
12-21-2018 03:35 PM
Advertisement

CajunFan3406 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL

You're probably right about USA maybe being the next to make the leap. UL is on that track as well. I know USA has a good bit of endowment money and they have a med school.
12-21-2018 05:26 PM
Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

I Root For: ULM
ULM is R3 like Louisiana Tech. ?
12-21-2018 10:33 PM
seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St
Maybe someday App will ranked by Carnegie as a Research University.
12-22-2018 01:56 AM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
(12-22-2018 01:56 AM)seaking4steel Wrote:  Maybe someday App will ranked by Carnegie as a Research University.

If/when you do, I bet you jump right into the US News national rankings. Other highly ranked "regional" (never been a huge fan of that term) schools have tended to show very well in the rankings when they finally get the research designation.

Also, this is a nice accomplishment for GS.
12-23-2018 12:27 AM
Advertisement

eaglewraith Online
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
Now if we could only get redesignated by the Georgia BoR....
12-23-2018 01:04 AM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
(12-22-2018 01:56 AM)seaking4steel Wrote:  Maybe someday App will ranked by Carnegie as a Research University.

We are not a research university. Never will be. We are a undergraduate teaching university... and one of the best in the country in what we do.
12-23-2018 10:20 AM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
(12-23-2018 10:20 AM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  

We are not a research university. Never will be. We are a undergraduate teaching university... and one of the best in the country in what we do.

theres nothing wrong with this. App fills a niche role for what it does.
12-23-2018 11:05 AM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
(12-23-2018 10:20 AM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  

GS is basically the same thing, but we have lately been putting more emphasis on research with local businesses. With the IT and new Engineering programs this will likely continue to grow. But i don't think we will ever reach R1 status because the primary focus is teaching students and maintaining a relatively low student to faculty ratio. Like another poster said, we need the Ga BOR to change the designation so we can actually get the proper funding for research from the state.
12-27-2018 03:51 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
According to a reporter covering the search for the next GS president, an announcement will be made before the end of the spring semester, and while it's a closed search, the search committee has received applications from far more current university presidents than ever before, some from schools larger than GS.

I think with the expansion of the Savannah Ports and the increase in industry in the area (a major factor in the decision to merge GS and Armstrong), the BoR understands that this is a critical decision for the continued growth of the GS which they've invested a lot of energy and money into in the last few years. The future is incredibly bright.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2018 04:02 PM by TrueBlueDrew.)
12-27-2018 04:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.