Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: North Dakota State
Bookmark and Share
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
They are ranked #16 in the Massey Ratings, and #17 in Jeff Sagarin's Ratings. Are they really that good? I think they might be. The routinely beat mid to high level P5 teams, and have tossed around nearly everyone in FCS like rag-dolls for half a decade. If they are that good, mad respect.
12-19-2018 06:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WolfBird Online
All American

I Root For:
They’re better than 6 Sun Belt teams, maybe 7.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
12-19-2018 06:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Florida RedWolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: arkansas state
RE: OT: North Dakota State
(12-19-2018 06:17 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  They are ranked #16 in the Massey Ratings, and #17 in Jeff Sagarin's Ratings. Are they really that good? I think they might be. The routinely beat mid to high level P5 teams, and have tossed around nearly everyone in FCS like rag-dolls for half a decade. If they are that good, mad respect.

Are they the #16 or 17th ranked team. No way. They are a very good FCS team.
12-19-2018 06:56 PM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
The #4 overall seed and FCS quarter-finalist lost to the worst team in the Sun Belt. A team that beat a CAA team in the playoffs got boat-raced by UMass.

The FCS ain't what it used to be. It's not just that teams like GS and App State aren't there, it's teams like Delaware and Montana that used to be good that dropped off a cliff.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018 07:14 PM by EigenEagle.)
12-19-2018 07:09 PM
FTE_rawr Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
Honestly, their stats are inflated because they are likely a comparative top tier G5 team thats playing in the FCS. Are they as good as most of these computer rankings are making them out to be? Naah.

Had a discussion with a NDSU fan on Reddit a few weeks ago stating that NDSU would stomp today's App State and the Threepeat App State by 20+.

They are cocky bastards, thats for sure.

INB4: Southern fans pop in here talking about how they beat us the year we beat Michigan
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018 07:26 PM by FTE_rawr.)
12-19-2018 07:16 PM
Oldyeller Offline
All American

I’d be curious to know what attendance numbers look like in FCS. Now that little potential for a move up exist there’s not much to inspire.
12-19-2018 07:37 PM
Advertisement

Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

NDSU could play with any SBC for one game. However if they played a full FBS schedule they’d lose three games minimum and this years App team would be favored by 14.
12-19-2018 07:44 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(12-19-2018 06:42 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  They’re better than 6 Sun Belt teams, maybe 7.

I don't know. Georgia State beat a top 5 FCS team this year, and no here is calling the Panthers a top 5 SBC team.

I think NDSU is very good, and would certainly have success against lower level FBS teams, but our top teams would blow them out of the water.
12-19-2018 07:47 PM
McLeansvilleAppFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian St
It would be a great year to let them play the FBS championship. When App played LSU in 2008 it showed the separation between top FCS and top FBS at least at that point in time. Having them play the top Great5 school would be a good game I think.

As far as rankings I would think this could be a product of so few data points betwen FBS and top level FCS, but I am no stats major and have not looked at that data that closely.
12-19-2018 07:49 PM
Neers12 Offline
Bench Warmer

GA State beating Kennesaw has no bearing on this question because Ndsu is a different galaxy ahead of the rest of the FCS. Just as App State and GA Southern made a seamless transition to win 4 of the 5 sun belt titles since they moved up, similarly I believe NDSU would compete with App and Troy for best in the Sun Belt. I would put them in the top 10 of non power 5s.
12-19-2018 08:06 PM
ballantyneapp Offline
All American

I Root For: App
(12-19-2018 07:16 PM)FTE_rawr Wrote:  Honestly, their stats are inflated because they are likely a comparative top tier G5 team thats playing in the FCS. Are they as good as most of these computer rankings are making them out to be? Naah.

Had a discussion with a NDSU fan on Reddit a few weeks ago stating that NDSU would stomp today's App State and the Threepeat App State by 20+.

They are cocky bastards, thats for sure.

INB4: Southern fans pop in here talking about how they beat us the year we beat Michigan

They seem to be very good. I'm sure they would be a tough out for 2007 App State. But NO team ever stomped an Armanti Edwards led team except 2008 opener vs LSU. He was quite simply the best college athlete i've ever seen play. I wish you sun belt guys could have seen the totality of his achievements as GA South guys will remember. So i doubt 20+ point loss ever happens.

Its my opinion that 2017 App and this years team beats 2005 and 2007 App, and possibly 2006 (the best of the three peat teams at the end of the year IMO)pretty handily, and beats any NDSU championship team more times than not.
12-19-2018 08:10 PM
Advertisement

EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

(12-19-2018 08:06 PM)Neers12 Wrote:  GA State beating Kennesaw has no bearing on this question because Ndsu is a different galaxy ahead of the rest of the FCS. Just as App State and GA Southern made a seamless transition to win 4 of the 5 sun belt titles since they moved up, similarly I believe NDSU would compete with App and Troy for best in the Sun Belt. I would put them in the top 10 of non power 5s.

Oh, I know that NDSU is way better than Kennesaw is, I'm just saying that their competition isn't on the same level as App's was 2005-2007 or ours 1998-2002.

If it were, then Chris Klieman might just be the best coach in the country with his record. His winning percentage is better than Jerry Moore's 2005-2007, better than Erk Russell's 1985-1989, better than Jim Tressel at YSU even if you only count his national championship years, and better than any of the all-time great I-AA head coaches you can think of.

But considering Craig Bohl went on a three-year run at NDSU where he only lost 2 games and seems fairly unexceptional at Nebraska, I doubt that.
12-19-2018 08:47 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(12-19-2018 06:17 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  They are ranked #16 in the Massey Ratings, and #17 in Jeff Sagarin's Ratings. Are they really that good? I think they might be. The routinely beat mid to high level P5 teams, and have tossed around nearly everyone in FCS like rag-dolls for half a decade. If they are that good, mad respect.

Yes they have a winning record against the P5 IIRC. It is rare but they are the exception, they could easily slide in to any G5 outside of the AAC and maybe Boise in the MW and compete for a CC right away. Yes the FCS is watered down with every team that has moved up since they have but it has been since the mass move ups started in the 90's.

Hard for me to say but probably the best I-AA / FCS program that has existed. I remember when people were laughing and scoffing at the notion when two recent move ups fans said it was possible to compete right away in the FBS. I think their ceiling based on location is low but Boise ID has done well I hear.
12-19-2018 08:56 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(12-19-2018 08:47 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(12-19-2018 08:06 PM)Neers12 Wrote:  GA State beating Kennesaw has no bearing on this question because Ndsu is a different galaxy ahead of the rest of the FCS. Just as App State and GA Southern made a seamless transition to win 4 of the 5 sun belt titles since they moved up, similarly I believe NDSU would compete with App and Troy for best in the Sun Belt. I would put them in the top 10 of non power 5s.

Oh, I know that NDSU is way better than Kennesaw is, I'm just saying that their competition isn't on the same level as App's was 2005-2007 or ours 1998-2002.

If it were, then Chris Klieman might just be the best coach in the country with his record. His winning percentage is better than Jerry Moore's 2005-2007, better than Erk Russell's 1985-1989, better than Jim Tressel at YSU even if you only count his national championship years, and better than any of the all-time great I-AA head coaches you can think of.

But considering Craig Bohl went on a three-year run at NDSU where he only lost 2 games and seems fairly unexceptional at Nebraska, I doubt that.

Considering Bohl doesn't coach at Nebraska, than he certainly has been uninspiring.

His Wyoming teams haven't been much to write home about either...04-cheers
12-19-2018 10:10 PM
SBEagle Offline
1st String

(12-19-2018 07:47 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(12-19-2018 06:42 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  They’re better than 6 Sun Belt teams, maybe 7.

I don't know. Georgia State beat a top 5 FCS team this year, and no here is calling the Panthers a top 5 SBC team.

I think NDSU is very good, and would certainly have success against lower level FBS teams, but our top teams would blow them out of the water.

None of us would blow them out of the water at their place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-19-2018 10:19 PM
FTE_rawr Offline
Special Teams

(12-19-2018 10:19 PM)SBEagle Wrote:  

I mean, were sorta used to the cold. COGS
12-19-2018 10:23 PM
Advertisement

BurlingtonApp Offline
1st String

(12-19-2018 10:23 PM)FTE_rawr Wrote:  

Well, they play indoors so that wouldn't help. However, we've never lost indoors.
12-19-2018 10:42 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(12-19-2018 10:42 PM)BurlingtonApp Wrote:  
(12-19-2018 10:23 PM)FTE_rawr Wrote:  

Well, they play indoors so that wouldn't help. However, we've never lost indoors.

Perhaps they'll turn the air conditioning down really low.
12-19-2018 11:33 PM
AlwaysSunny Offline
1st String

I Root For: NCAA
And I bet with all of these responses not a single one of you would want them on your schedule. Pretty sure they have a winning record against the Big 10 and Big 12but no, they wouldnt really be able to compete with the Sunbelt lol. Want to find out why P5 teams hardly schedule them anymore? Call em up for a game.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018 11:44 PM by AlwaysSunny.)
12-19-2018 11:41 PM
FTE_rawr Offline
Special Teams

(12-19-2018 11:41 PM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  And I bet with all of these responses not a single one of you would want them on your schedule. Pretty sure they have a winning record against the Big 10 and Big 12but no, they wouldnt really be able to compete with the Sunbelt lol. Want to find out why P5 teams hardly schedule them anymore? Call em up for a game.

Been there, got the t-shirt
12-19-2018 11:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.