WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Esposito the permanent DC?
RunningGame Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
Esposito the permanent DC?
We're already speculating, and though we should probably wait for the bowl game for informed opinions, I think it's worth the thread after listening to the postgame on radio. During the interview, Lester sounded very different about the defense in his voice, like you could feel the relief from the FM waves. He said the players gave Esposito a great effort, that he liked to blitz, that a couple new blitzes and coverages were installed this week. Lester sounded pretty sold and confident in their play.

I have to say, this is the first time in a long time that I've seen this defense play aggressive. There was that one drive where we sat back and let them run us down the field, but after that we fixed it and went back to playing in their face. The pass coverage with the exception of one slip was very good.

Esposito was the DC for very good Ferris State football teams before starting off Davenport's team, so I don't know that you can say he's "not qualified," the question is this: is he the best guy for this situation?
11-21-2018 12:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Esposito the permanent DC?
We have to see who is out there and who'd be willing to work for the salary a MAC DC will get. Certainly nothing will happen until January, assuming we're in one of the lesser bowls around Christmastime.

Defense played great tonight, but it was mainly just improved execution-Espo didn't change much of anything in the week he had being head.

There is no rush to make a decision and Espo has one more game and a couple more months to make a case for himself.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2018 12:17 AM by BroncoPhilly.)
11-21-2018 12:16 AM
RunningGame Offline
All American

Even more ringing in the press conference, this is a pretty telling remark off the bat, about letting guys play their strengths: https://youtu.be/jzaCeI6uzKE?t=473
11-21-2018 12:34 AM
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
I think it would be a very poor decision to keep Esposito as our DC; even if I think it will happen regardless. He is also responsible for the horrendous performance of our D. Our defense played well last night, but we have had other games when we played more aggressively, and looked good for a few games. Last night was not a complete anomaly. The far too often we looked horrendous, out of place, unmotivated, and overall poorly coached. It would be short-sighted to think that one of the top defensive coaches on the staff shared know culpability with respect to how poorly the defense played.

Last night was senior night, and I am also sure that our players were happy to show their approval of dismissing the defensive coordinator, who clearly, in my mind at least, they did not respect. I'm not sure that they respect Esposito much more. I saw a couple of times last night that Esposito was congratulating players as they came off the field, and they seem to really dismiss them, but celebrate amongst themselves.

I know this is probably politically incorrect, and I'm the last guy who should be complaining about someone being overweight, but I tend to wonder weather college football players, who work hard and sweat their butts off everyday at practice, don't look down on obese coaches. You have to respect your coach.

Clearly it looks like Lester is setting the stage though, bye promoting Esposito with his comments and lavish praise. I think this is Lester being Lester, and is part of the problem. I don't know who might be available, but at the very least he ought to take a serious look.
11-21-2018 07:20 AM
rsswmu Offline
1st String

I Root For: wmu
Wait and see in the bowl game if espo has them flying again. If so his energy is the exact counter balance to Lester’s calm you need.
11-21-2018 07:23 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Let's not go overboard. Yes defense looked much better but NIU has not exactly been an offensive machine this year.
11-21-2018 07:27 AM
Advertisement

Stampede your face!! Offline
All American

Absolutely not. I liken the NIU offense to EMU. So holding them to 14 points while a positive isn't the greatest performance ever. There are other factors why they may have been pumped up, like senior night.

I have a feeling that coach Lester has made up his mind already, because it's the easy thing to do. But you don't fire guys after one bad performance, why would you hire guys off of one good one?
11-21-2018 07:44 AM
GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

Its clear the kids love Esposito and played their hearts out for him last night. It kind of reminded me of old Spartan games where the kids would rally around Narduzi. Narduzi would have a greater presence on the sideline than Dantonio.
11-21-2018 08:32 AM
Bronc33 Offline
1st String

(11-21-2018 08:32 AM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  Its clear the kids love Esposito and played their hearts out for him last night. It kind of reminded me of old Spartan games where the kids would rally around Narduzi. Narduzi would have a greater presence on the sideline than Dantonio.

Yeah, I thought that too. I love the Espo is a high energy guy. Like it or not, Lester is not that way. He's very analytical and calm, which IMHO is what you need in a head coach and OC. You need to be calm, relaxed, and thinking clearly. On defense you need to go ALL OUT. Espo had the guys playing that way last night.

Side note, I love that the guys picked him up and crowd surfed him. Guys have been doing their lifting, that's for sure.... 03-lmfao03-lmfao
11-21-2018 09:30 AM
brovol Offline
Heisman

(11-21-2018 08:32 AM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  Its clear the kids love Esposito and played their hearts out for him last night. It kind of reminded me of old Spartan games where the kids would rally around Narduzi. Narduzi would have a greater presence on the sideline than Dantonio.

I don't know what makes you concluded that the kids like Esposito. I get the opposite impression. They deemed dismissive to him when they were coming back to sidelines. Who knows.
11-21-2018 09:30 AM
RunningGame Offline
All American

(11-21-2018 09:30 AM)brovol Wrote:  

I don't know what makes you concluded that the kids like Esposito. I get the opposite impression. They deemed dismissive to him when they were coming back to sidelines. Who knows.

They were hugging him after the game and crazy enough to pick him up. I think you are a reading a little too much into what you saw. I also don’t think the weight issue bothers them, even players who really don’t like their coach know the guy is putting in 80-100 hours a week and is not lazy.
11-21-2018 09:37 AM
Advertisement

GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
It is just one win, and against a below average offense at that.

Granted it was a really NICE win, and important, but things need to play out. Don't anoint a DC based on one solid performance.

I trust Lester will make the correct decision when that decision needs to be made.
11-21-2018 09:44 AM
GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

Huh? He was literally jumping around in the huddle with them at 1 point in the 2nd half. It was awesome, most energy i've seen on the sideline all season.
11-21-2018 09:52 AM
Bronc33 Offline
1st String

(11-21-2018 09:52 AM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  

Huh? He was literally jumping around in the huddle with them at 1 point in the 2nd half. It was awesome, most energy i've seen on the sideline all season.

Maybe he thought Rod Carey was Esposito? 03-lmfao03-lmfao
11-21-2018 10:03 AM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

I think you leave Espo in through the bowl game. He's proven to be our best recruiter and the team seems to really connect with him. I heard from some former players who played under him back during the Cubit years (when Espo was on the staff) that he's the kind of coach that makes you want to run through brick walls. Really gets the kids fired up. This team has sorely needed that.

I think having to sit in the shadow of Daoust took some of the energy out of Big Lou's best asset... having the lead role allows him to go full on rah rah rah! I haven't seen that kind of energy out of this team all season... He's got his finger on the pulse of these players and seems to be putting them in roles that better fit their talents... When guys believe in their coaches good things happen...
11-21-2018 11:08 AM
brovol Offline
Heisman

Fair enough. I'll stand corrected on that point. I didn't catch that watching, but trust it, and that's a good sign.
11-21-2018 12:36 PM
Advertisement

RunningGame Offline
All American

(11-21-2018 10:03 AM)Bronc33 Wrote:  

Maybe he thought Rod Carey was Esposito? 03-lmfao03-lmfao

Lots of upset NIU fans this morning, no doubt!
11-21-2018 12:49 PM
Bronco XXVIII Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WMU!
^^
I'm sure the ride to Ford Field next week will cheer them up...

05-stirthepot
11-21-2018 05:51 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Many posters on Huskie board are saying they will not go to MACC at Ford Field out of frustration with Carey-this year's team.
11-21-2018 05:55 PM
brovol Offline
Heisman

(11-21-2018 05:55 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Many posters on Huskie board are saying they will not go to MACC at Ford Field out of frustration with Carey-this year's team.

WMU and NIU AD's should negotiate a swap.
11-21-2018 06:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.