Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

It is all about THE QB
uclabruin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Against USC
It is all about THE QB
Lester's coaching record with Wassink playing: 12 -5

With Wassink out: 1-5

It is a shame this injury occurred TWICE.
11-06-2018 01:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

broncofan1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Broncos
RE: It is all about THE QB
...and your opponent...and your preparation...and your defense...and your playmakers...
11-06-2018 01:37 PM
RunningGame Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
(11-06-2018 01:08 PM)uclabruin Wrote:  Lester's coaching record with Wassink playing: 12 -5

I would say with Wassink we beat NIU & CMU (definitely) last year. Not Toledo.

This year? Maybe the Toledo game would have gone differently, but that was really on the defensive gameplan in my mind. The Ohio game? I hope we didn't lose our minds in the first half because of a lack of confidence in Eleby.

Let's see what happens at Ball State. Their team has seriously derailed the last three games. Maybe we're talented enough to overpower them regardless of shaky QB play, but they've also stuck with Notre Dame. Are they smart enough to challenge Eleby or will they stick with their vanilla plan on defense?

I do hope though that people realize Eleby performing so well against Toledo was a bit of a fluke, and people who were already insinuating that Wassink might be benched were way off the mark. Toledo had zero prep for him, Eleby was playing on pure adrenaline, and Toledo didn't appear to try to test him as a young player. Ohio tested him and exposed that he still has much to learn before reaching the clear potential he has.
11-06-2018 01:44 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

Wasn't the excuse last year that we had an inexperienced QB?
11-06-2018 02:00 PM
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
Aaron Rodgers could have been our QB the last two games and we would have still gotten blown out. Our defense didn't even prevent resistance against Toledo or Ohio's offense, and our special teams were very bad too. Our offense wasn't even bad against Toledo.
11-06-2018 02:13 PM
uclabruin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Against USC
I think if you lose your starting qb, it makes a hell of a difference. And based on the record, it looks like a solid point
11-06-2018 02:13 PM
Advertisement

wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(11-06-2018 02:13 PM)uclabruin Wrote:  I think if you lose your starting qb, it makes a hell of a difference. And based on the record, it looks like a solid point

Don't you think context is key? It coincidentally happened that we had much more difficult conference games both years after he went down than before.
11-06-2018 02:46 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(11-06-2018 02:46 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  
(11-06-2018 02:13 PM)uclabruin Wrote:  I think if you lose your starting qb, it makes a hell of a difference. And based on the record, it looks like a solid point

Don't you think context is key? It coincidentally happened that we had much more difficult conference games both years after he went down than before.

It's the same context that we were up 28-14 in the 4Q against CMU when Wassink got knocked out of the game. Sure didn't feel like we lost because of Goddard, but hey that's just me I guess.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2018 03:52 PM by Hoekjeness.)
11-06-2018 03:51 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

I think Wassink got hurt before that in the EMU game
11-06-2018 03:55 PM
RunningGame Offline
All American

(11-06-2018 03:55 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  I think Wassink got hurt before that in the EMU game

Right. It took Bono two quarters to figure out we couldn’t complete a pass downfield.
11-06-2018 03:59 PM
AFLAGWA Offline
1st String

I Root For: Snow Days!
(11-06-2018 03:51 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  It's the same context that we were up 28-14 in the 4Q against CMU when Wassink got knocked out of the game. Sure didn't feel like we lost because of Goddard, but hey that's just me I guess.

IIRC, Wassink went out in the EMU game. He never played in the Central game last year...
11-06-2018 05:01 PM
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(11-06-2018 03:55 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  I think Wassink got hurt before that in the EMU game

True (oops), but actually kinda proves my point even further.
11-06-2018 09:14 PM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

What would 2016 look like if Terrell goes down? What happens if Terrell takes a season ended before the CMU game that year?

PJ would still be here trying to sell 7 win seasons to the boosters as he worked to find the next WMU QB. Look at Minnesota... no QB no success.
11-06-2018 09:40 PM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
(11-06-2018 09:14 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  

True (oops), but actually kinda proves my point even further.

Ahh, no. Not at all.
11-07-2018 06:06 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

If we lost to UT and Ohio by like 7-10 points, then we can ponder the "what if's" of QB. But the margin was so wide, the errors so widespread, safe to say the L's would've happened no matter who was behind center.
11-07-2018 08:07 AM
RunningGame Offline
All American

(11-07-2018 08:07 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  If we lost to UT and Ohio by like 7-10 points, then we can ponder the "what if's" of QB. But the margin was so wide, the errors so widespread, safe to say the L's would've happened no matter who was behind center.

Maybe for Toledo, though. Go back and look at the drive charts. We had momentum heading into halftime as we found our footing. Then Toledo comes out and scores, then we fumble, they score, we get a three and out, then we trade scoring drives.

If we had two touchdowns to start the second half (and not let Toledo have easy 37 and 39-yard scoring drives on a turnover and blown drive), you're looking at a score of 44-38 heading into the fourth quarter. The defense did get two stops at the end of the third and start of the fourth quarter.

Would Wassink have won that game? I'd say probably not, but it's intriguing. Had Wassink gotten us another touchdown in the first half, it could have been us leading 45-44 into halftime with momentum.

Sometimes a little change can dramatically change the course of the game. I really do hope though that it wasn't a lack of confidence in Eleby that started our downward spiral. We're talented enough to win with Eleby if we play our game.
11-07-2018 09:35 AM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

It's all conjecture, obviously.

But if we skid to 6-6 and sit home for the holidays, I really don't want to hear Lester in post-season pressers pointing exclusively to Wassink's injury as the crux of 2018's issues.

It's part of it, sure. But there are larger, more overarching issues in play here that have little to do with the QB position. The injury card - valid as it was - was used in 2017.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2018 10:02 AM by Motown Bronco.)
11-07-2018 10:01 AM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
(11-06-2018 01:08 PM)uclabruin Wrote:  Lester's coaching record with Wassink playing: 12 -5

I remember with the Washington Redskins won the Super Bowl with Mark Rypien at QB. Rypien would not have started for most D-I college teams, but with the Redskins outrageously good O-line, RB's and receivers, let-alone defense, he was fine. The key was he did not make many mistakes and knew he didn't have to win the game by himself. He was serviceable.

An outstanding QB helps, but more is needed for a championship team. Football is not hoops where one player may turn a team into a championship contender.
11-07-2018 10:12 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Dilfer also won a Superbowl, just because the defense was good. But that's a rarity.
11-07-2018 02:49 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

Nick Foles
Russell Wilson
Joe Flacco
Brad Johnson

Look at last year's final four teams... Tom Brady (the exception), Blake Bortles, Case Keenum, and Nick Foles.
11-07-2018 09:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.