Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So is this the closest the SBC gets to Rivalry week?
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I know they like to make attempts to get one going later in the year, but I'm just not sure we're going to get much better than Troy/USA, App/GS, and AState/UL in the same weekend.

Unintentional because so many of our big games are almost certain ESPN pickups, but it's nice that it at least worked out this one time.
10-21-2018 11:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
RE: So is this the closest the SBC gets to Rivalry week?
App and Troy during Rivalry Week should be good. However, I believe App and Southern should be a Saturday nationally televised game. You never know what year something like Thursday is going to happen.
10-22-2018 12:02 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(10-22-2018 12:02 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  App and Troy during Rivalry Week should be good. However, I believe App and Southern should be a Saturday nationally televised game. You never know what year something like Thursday is going to happen.

Yeah...that aint happening anytime soon. P5's have Saturday locked up. We're left with the days they don't want.
10-22-2018 01:20 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
GS @ GAST will be on actual rivalry week this year
10-22-2018 07:49 AM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
I hadn't thought about it but you are probably correct. These are teams who really do have some rivalries, not manufactured rivalries to try and boost interest. It should be a fun weekend of football.
10-22-2018 08:57 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

So for what purpose is the Sun Belt trying to manufacture rivals when there are organic rivals already in place?
10-22-2018 09:28 AM
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(10-22-2018 12:02 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  App and Troy during Rivalry Week should be good. However, I believe App and Southern should be a Saturday nationally televised game. You never know what year something like Thursday is going to happen.

Seems to me that Troy and App should be considered a "rivalry".

Both teams were perennially top-ranked teams in 1-AA, and every game they've played against each other except two were decided by 6 points or less.
10-22-2018 10:11 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(10-22-2018 10:11 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

Both teams were perennially top-ranked teams in 1-AA, and every game they've played against each other except two were decided by 6 points or less.

[Image: 9ccb42bdba51f654fbeccc9b4b1925f5.jpg]
10-22-2018 10:19 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I would agree. App, Troy, Southern, and Arkansas State form natural rivalries of sorts for the fans that pay attention to conference opponents.
10-22-2018 10:21 AM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
The Sun Belt has decided that geography should dictate rivalries. They've pushed UL/ULM, GS/GSU. And, while those games do get fans interested, history dictates rivalries, not geography.

It's obvious Georgia Southern and App is the preeminent rivalry in the Sun Belt. There are some that won't understand since the two schools haven't been in the 'Belt that long...but it's intense....more so than GS/GSU.

The Cajuns and Arkansas State have a lot more history than UL/ULM. And, a lot more animosity.

Arkansas State has won once in Lafayette since 1992 and that was the year Malzahn was the head coach. The Cajuns have won twice in Jonesboro, once under Rickey Bustle when Arkansas State had a decimated offensive line and the year Brian Harsin was the head coach at stAte.
10-22-2018 10:44 AM
AppYosef Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State
(10-22-2018 10:19 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  

Lol... 04-cheers
10-24-2018 05:16 PM
Advertisement

AppYosef Offline
2nd String

(10-22-2018 10:19 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  

10-24-2018 05:31 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
Why must a school have just one rival? Alabama seems to have decent rivalries going with LSU, Ole Miss and of course Auburn. Michigan seems to have Michigan St, Notre Dame and Ohio St set as major rivals. I understand that every team will probably have one rival they hold above the others but that's not to say we can't hate all of you at least a little.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2018 07:35 PM by Georgia_Power_Company.)
10-24-2018 05:56 PM
gsu2583 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ga Southern
https://media3.giphy.com/media/14rEJREdv...512e5ccab7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-24-2018 08:00 PM
Coach Bonez89 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTk-MEM-UAB-UTC
(10-24-2018 05:56 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  Why must a school have just one rival? Alabama seems to have decent rivalries going with LSU, Ole Miss and of course Auburn. Michigan seems to have Michigan St, Notre Dame and Ohio St set as major rivals. I understand that every team will probably have one rival they hold above the others but that's not to say we can't hate all of you at least a little.

While not close recently, how can you forget that Alabama's rival is Tennessee. There are times when that game means more than the Auburn game too. Not recently, but Ole Miss? Do you have any knowledge of rivalries in the south?
10-24-2018 09:59 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Nothing says you can't have more than one rival.

But, usually there's one opponent that gets the juices flowing more than the others.

If you want to say App and Troy are rivals, fine. Let's see if there's 30 odd pages of "discussion" before that game is played.
10-25-2018 08:17 AM
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(10-25-2018 08:17 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  Nothing says you can't have more than one rival.

But, usually there's one opponent that gets the juices flowing more than the others.

If you want to say App and Troy are rivals, fine. Let's see if there's 30 odd pages of "discussion" before that game is played.

Yeh... I want App to beat Troy and ragdoll toss stAte. But I want App to rip off GaSo's helmet and crap in it. Then after the game go get some beers with them and talk about how the rest of the conference just doesn't understand.
10-25-2018 08:35 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(10-24-2018 09:59 PM)Coach Bonez89 Wrote:  
(10-24-2018 05:56 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  Why must a school have just one rival? Alabama seems to have decent rivalries going with LSU, Ole Miss and of course Auburn. Michigan seems to have Michigan St, Notre Dame and Ohio St set as major rivals. I understand that every team will probably have one rival they hold above the others but that's not to say we can't hate all of you at least a little.

While not close recently, how can you forget that Alabama's rival is Tennessee. There are times when that game means more than the Auburn game too. Not recently, but Ole Miss? Do you have any knowledge of rivalries in the south?

No I'm aware Tennessee is a historic rival of the Crimson Tide however I was thinking of more recent events since Bama is on a 12 or so game win streak against Tennessee. Ole Miss and Bama have been a bit chippy to each other in the past few seasons. I guess I would call it a budding rivalry.
04-cheers
10-25-2018 08:53 AM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(10-25-2018 08:53 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  
(10-24-2018 09:59 PM)Coach Bonez89 Wrote:  

No I'm aware Tennessee is a historic rival of the Crimson Tide however I was thinking of more recent events since Bama is on a 12 or so game win streak against Tennessee. Ole Miss and Bama have been a bit chippy to each other in the past few seasons. I guess I would call it a budding rivalry.
04-cheers

Alabama leads that series 54-10-2. Ole Miss winning in 2014 and 2015 is more of an aberration I'd say. The past two years Alabama has beaten Ole Miss by a combined 128-10. LOL
10-25-2018 09:07 AM
NashvilleEagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ga. Southern
Rivalries generally take decades to develop. I have hated and respected App since 1989 when they shut us out in the snow on a cold December day in Boone and never looked back. We have had some battles since then but the history is what makes it special.
10-25-2018 09:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.