Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Atlantic versus Coastal
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
Atlantic versus Coastal
I thought I would start this again. So far, the Coastal leads the Atlantic 4-2.
10-14-2018 05:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
RE: Atlantic versus Coastal
Two wins over struggling Louisville, one over Syracuse, and one over a mediocre FSU.

The real tell about the divisions is that since FSU replaced Bowden, VT has 3 Coastal titles, GT has 2, and Miami, Duke, and UNC have 1 each.

For the last 6 years the Atlantic Champion, who is also the ACC Champion has brought an aggregate regular season record of 68-4 to the title game, while the Coastal brought 56-15 - that roughs out to 11-1 against 9-3. For the last 5 years the aggregate is 58-2 versus 50-9. No doubt the Coastal is the more evenly sorted division over the last decade. The Coastal champ is likely to have 3 losses this year, while the Atlantic champ may have none or one.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2018 09:01 PM by Statefan.)
10-14-2018 08:59 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(10-14-2018 08:59 PM)Statefan Wrote:  Two wins over struggling Louisville, one over Syracuse, and one over a mediocre FSU.

The real tell about the divisions is that since FSU replaced Bowden, VT has 3 Coastal titles, GT has 2, and Miami, Duke, and UNC have 1 each.

For the last 6 years the Atlantic Champion, who is also the ACC Champion has brought an aggregate regular season record of 68-4 to the title game, while the Coastal brought 56-15 - that roughs out to 11-1 against 9-3. For the last 5 years the aggregate is 58-2 versus 50-9. No doubt the Coastal is the more evenly sorted division over the last decade. The Coastal champ is likely to have 3 losses this year, while the Atlantic champ may have none or one.

I don’t think you prove the Atlantic is the stronger division by talking about how extremely unbalanced it is.
10-14-2018 09:46 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(10-14-2018 09:46 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  
(10-14-2018 08:59 PM)Statefan Wrote:  Two wins over struggling Louisville, one over Syracuse, and one over a mediocre FSU.

I don’t think you prove the Atlantic is the stronger division by talking about how extremely unbalanced it is.

Clearly the Atlantic is stronger at the top. Clearly the Coastal is stronger at the bottom. All that really proves is that Florida State and Louisville are both down this year, IMO (note: while I believe FSU will be back next year, I'm not sure how long it will take for the Cardinals).

Here's an imaginary seed-based crossover challenge
(matchups based on current ACC standings):
Clemson vs. Va Tech
NC State 35 - 21 Virginia
Boston College vs. Miami (10/26)
Syracuse 37 - 44 Pitt
Florida St vs. Duke
Wake Forest vs. UNC
Louisville 31 - 66 Ga Tech

The thing that strikes me is not the two Coastal wins, but the oddity of some of the matchups. Va Tech is no stranger to the top, but what's Ga Tech doing at the bottom? with Louisville? FSU is way too low as well, based on "normal". Pitt may be legitimately the 4th best team in the Coastal, but they need to prove they can beat UNC first!

ACC football is simply a mess this year - far removed from just 2 seasons ago.
10-15-2018 05:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OrangeDude Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
(10-15-2018 05:53 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(10-14-2018 09:46 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  

Clearly the Atlantic is stronger at the top. Clearly the Coastal is stronger at the bottom. All that really proves is that Florida State and Louisville are both down this year, IMO (note: while I believe FSU will be back next year, I'm not sure how long it will take for the Cardinals).

Here's an imaginary seed-based crossover challenge
(matchups based on current ACC standings):
Clemson vs. Va Tech
NC State 35 - 21 Virginia
Boston College vs. Miami (10/26)
Syracuse 37 - 44 Pitt
Florida St vs. Duke
Wake Forest vs. UNC
Louisville 31 - 66 Ga Tech

The thing that strikes me is not the two Coastal wins, but the oddity of some of the matchups. Va Tech is no stranger to the top, but what's Ga Tech doing at the bottom? with Louisville? FSU is way too low as well, based on "normal". Pitt may be legitimately the 4th best team in the Coastal, but they need to prove they can beat UNC first!

ACC football is simply a mess this year - far removed from just 2 seasons ago.

Nuff said. This year is precisely the type of year that the anti-ACC trolls predicted for the conference year-in and year-out back in 2012. Let's hope it is a one season anomaly.

Cheers,
Neil
10-15-2018 06:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.