Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Grassroots #FireTeis campaign at TXST
Bookmark and Share
bokobobcat1919 Offline
Sun Belt

I Root For: Texas State
Grassroots #FireTeis campaign at TXST
Apparently someone launched a successful gofundme fundraiser to have a banner flown over TXST's homecoming on Oct 27 calling for the firing of TXST Athletic Director, Larry Teis.
https://www.gofundme.com/fireteis-banner-at-homecoming

It's created a bit of a stir on twitter and among students at TXST's radio station KTSW.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2018 05:26 PM by bokobobcat1919.)
09-29-2018 05:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Yarddog Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Troy
RE: Grassroots #FireTeis campaign at TXST
Is Teiss really the problem/
09-29-2018 05:28 PM
bokobobcat1919 Offline
Sun Belt

(09-29-2018 05:28 PM)Yarddog Wrote:  Is Teiss really the problem/
If you have a better culprit, we're all ears.
09-29-2018 07:15 PM
Yarddog Offline
Water Engineer

I have sort of kept up with Texas State since around 1970.

I have noticed on your message board that everyone seems to hate Teiss. For all I know, rightfully.

Still the head coach is the one who normally takes the credit and accepts the blame.
09-29-2018 08:34 PM
troutbummike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
Whats that person's role? AD? President?
09-29-2018 08:37 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
Teis is the AD (Absolute Dick), but that's just MO . . . .

Our FB program has had 7 winning seasons since about 1986, so I guess there's plenty of blame to go around.

But if you're one of those that believes that "the tone is set from the top," Then Teis gets the lion's share of the blame, as there is no accountability from the AD for our Coaches to produce a winner. No winning culture has been established in San Marcos, nor is it expected. Teis is largely a glorified compliance officer, so as long as the program's relatively clean, and guys graduate on time, then Teis is happy. Winning be damned.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2018 09:00 PM by Bobcat87.)
09-29-2018 08:59 PM
Advertisement

Yarddog Offline
Water Engineer

AD.
09-29-2018 09:00 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

He's rarely seen at any athletic events outside the comfort of his suite at football games.
People in the media this week (University Star and Austin American Statesman) claimed they've made numerous calls through the years and have never gotten in contact with Teis. Doesn't answer the phone, doesn't return messages.
Another reporter at the San Marcos Daily Record this week said if Teis walked into the room he wouldn't know it was Teis cause he's never seen him before.
Multiple players said they graduated without a single interaction with Teis.
I used to keep tabs on his reserved parking spot on basketball and baseball game days. It was almost always empty after 5pm.

He's a completely absentee AD who isn't even close to hands-on enough to make the program even close to what should be expected of a university of our size. The job has just completely outgrown him.
09-29-2018 10:09 PM
bokobobcat1919 Offline
Sun Belt

It's not just potential talent we've been dropping the ball on. It's financial support as well. Teis does not interact with anyone that is not a big money donor. He's done little to connect with Alumni, and done little to encourage student interest in bobcat athletics.
09-30-2018 04:56 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

He is the worst. No real change will happen until he is gone. Zero accountability and a huge a-hole.
10-01-2018 11:06 AM
tx.state Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TXST
In Mobile earlier this year, he showed up to the alumni association tailgate for about 10 minutes and didn't talk to anyone. He stood there by himself like a social retard. The group of alumni who travel to away games to support this program are dedicated to say the least. It is a very captive audience. He made no attempt to talk to any of them.

FWIW, the president of TXST, Dr. Trauth, walked around with her husband and talked with every table.
10-01-2018 12:34 PM
Advertisement

CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
I'm impressed with your fan base for caring enough to take this initiative.

That's the silver lining here. Some fanbases would be too apathetic.

Good job, TX State.
10-01-2018 12:48 PM
alpha_eagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Just asking because I really don't know...
  • Attendance - locals AND students...are things stable, rising, or on the fall?
  • Donations - on schedule, ahead of, or behind historically?
  • Recruiting - are you getting your fair share of TX recruits?
Some of this things (attendance) on the surface appear to be an AD/marketing thing, but (lack of) attendance seems to be a common theme across the country. I didn't get to San Marcos when my son was playing for GS, but the wifey did and she enjoyed herself thoroughly...I watched the game and saw an enthusiastic crowd.

You have a good looking stadium; how do the rest of your athletic assets rate? Where does your athletic budget stack up against your peer/conference mates?

Chances are you're suffering from a bad coaching hire, but it seemed that your previous coach was left to stay on longer than he probably should have been. It takes time to recover from multiple years of recruiting apathy and ho-hum results. I wouldn't place all the blame on the AD - I don't hold our AD 'as' responsible as some of our more ardent fans do for recent issues - but that position certainly needs to be proactive on a bunch of different fronts for an athletics department to succeed.
10-01-2018 01:11 PM
Yarddog Offline
Water Engineer

I don't know about some things but Texas State has one of the largest, if not the largest student bodies in the SunBelt. It has the most beautiful natural setting of any including App. State.

When I visited in the 70s the school was over run with beautiful girls. At that time they were also very good in football too. Big rival was Texas A&I.

I too wonder if a series of poor coaching hires has been the real problem but not sure of that.

Whatever the reason, Texas State should be doing better than it is.
10-01-2018 01:31 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

(10-01-2018 01:11 PM)alpha_eagle Wrote:  Just asking because I really don't know...
  • Attendance - locals AND students...are things stable, rising, or on the fall?
  • Donations - on schedule, ahead of, or behind historically?
  • Recruiting - are you getting your fair share of TX recruits?
Some of this things (attendance) on the surface appear to be an AD/marketing thing, but (lack of) attendance seems to be a common theme across the country. I didn't get to San Marcos when my son was playing for GS, but the wifey did and she enjoyed herself thoroughly...I watched the game and saw an enthusiastic crowd.

You have a good looking stadium; how do the rest of your athletic assets rate? Where does your athletic budget stack up against your peer/conference mates?

Chances are you're suffering from a bad coaching hire, but it seemed that your previous coach was left to stay on longer than he probably should have been. It takes time to recover from multiple years of recruiting apathy and ho-hum results. I wouldn't place all the blame on the AD - I don't hold our AD 'as' responsible as some of our more ardent fans do for recent issues - but that position certainly needs to be proactive on a bunch of different fronts for an athletics department to succeed.

Here is a quick breakdown of why it looks like a AD is doing great and isn't.

The students pushed the FBS move through a vote. Teis wasn't on board but the study said yes and the rest is history. Teis takes credit for moving to FBS.

As part of the move the student fees are pushed up. This creates one of the largest, if not the largest, budget in the SBC. This means that no effort is made to get donations because the money is always there anyway.

As part of the move the football, baseball, softball, and T&F stadiums were built of upgraded. Teis takes credit again but really it was happening without him so he didn't do anything other than be in the job.

Coaching. This is where is gets bad. His first football coach was fired after a season for NCAA violations and other issues. He hired Bailiff which who had Tom Herman as OC. This was the only good hire that was lost after the 2005 season when they went to Rice. The next hire was Wright who had coached HS football and was a friend of Teis. And he failed. Next was Fran. This was a Teis friend and got some people excited but he was passed his prime. Fran offered to leave the program after his 3-9 season but Teis asked him to take 2 weeks to reconsider. He still left but set hiring back two weeks. Next was Withers. This is a guy Teis didn't want but the Board voted for. In basketball we have hung onto two AWFUL coaches and gave them extensions before the current coach was hired. Baseball has had the same coach for two decades. he is well liked but results have suffered.

Recruiting is still fine. Two years ago was top in the SBC. Last year was 5th. This year currently second. Not bad for an awful, awful team.

To summarize. Teis has no leadership skills and has done nothing he wasn't forced to do. He refuses to end contracts early which is why I would be shocked if EW is fired this year. And even if he is, I don't trust that a decent hire will be made.
10-01-2018 01:47 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

Here's a 3 part article published today on Forgotten5 regarding Teis:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
10-01-2018 02:32 PM
Advertisement

JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
The excuse making reminds me of our old AD.
10-01-2018 04:56 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(10-01-2018 01:47 PM)slycat Wrote:  The students pushed the FBS move through a vote. Teis wasn't on board but the study said yes and the rest is history. Teis takes credit for moving to FBS.

As part of the move the student fees are pushed up. This creates one of the largest, if not the largest, budget in the SBC. This means that no effort is made to get donations because the money is always there anyway.

As part of the move the football, baseball, softball, and T&F stadiums were built of upgraded. Teis takes credit again but really it was happening without him so he didn't do anything other than be in the job.

Coaching. This is where is gets bad. His first football coach was fired after a season for NCAA violations and other issues. He hired Bailiff which who had Tom Herman as OC. This was the only good hire that was lost after the 2005 season when they went to Rice. The next hire was Wright who had coached HS football and was a friend of Teis. And he failed. Next was Fran. This was a Teis friend and got some people excited but he was passed his prime. Fran offered to leave the program after his 3-9 season but Teis asked him to take 2 weeks to reconsider. He still left but set hiring back two weeks. Next was Withers. This is a guy Teis didn't want but the Board voted for. In basketball we have hung onto two AWFUL coaches and gave them extensions before the current coach was hired. Baseball has had the same coach for two decades. he is well liked but results have suffered.

Recruiting is still fine. Two years ago was top in the SBC. Last year was 5th. This year currently second. Not bad for an awful, awful team.

To summarize. Teis has no leadership skills and has done nothing he wasn't forced to do. He refuses to end contracts early which is why I would be shocked if EW is fired this year. And even if he is, I don't trust that a decent hire will be made.

Couple of things:

1. In talks with folks who are in the know in the Athletic Department, I was told that the move to FBS was FAR more collaborative (between Teis and the Student government) than has ever been shown.

To me, that alleviates one of his accusations, but also represents overall his problems: he won't be a true leader that steps out there to say "Hey, we're going to get here, and I need you guys helping me. I can't do it without you!" and instead chooses to speak as little as he can about it, thus making little to no real headlines about it. When the school decided to make the move, he should have been on the phone to every newspaper in Texas, and ever major network in town to tell them about it and how he'd love to sit down for an interview with any of them whenever they wanted to talk about it. Instead, he let the ASG be the one looking to drive the bus.

2. The baseball/softball complex. When he was hired, he labeled that priority one. He announced that he was starting a fundraising campaign and in three years he wanted to break ground. By doing the math... He wasn't hired 3 years before the move to FBS, and the student funds were the driving force behind the move. He set his own goal, his own timeline, and missed both. That is where he originally lost me.

3. To be clear, Teis didn't hire the first football coach (I don't even know that he ever met with him) in Manny Matsakis. That was a Greg LaFleur hire, the AD before him.

4. The Wright hire was a mistake in retrospect, but you can understand and accept why he was promoted. Bailiff should have never been allowed to leave though. When Bailiff was leaving, Bailiff flat out told Teis he was taking most of the staff, which would have meant also almost ALL of the recruits. Plus, Wright was part of the prolific offense in 2005 that took us to the semi finals (should have gotten us a National Championship). So there was solid rationale for him retaining Wright.

The other issues with Teis is that many athletes who have graduated have publicly noted they have NEVER met the man. Couldn't have picked him out of a lineup. X covered his absenteeism at events or genuine lack of interest (it would seem) in the performance of the teams.

He is content with an overall successful athletics department, while letting the three revenue generating sports die on the vine.
10-01-2018 06:24 PM
Oldyeller Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
I'm still recovering from the Texas state loss that catapulted GS into the dumpster fire that followed for a half decade. There's merit in taking your time and focusing on what really matters. You're on the right track currently.
10-01-2018 06:31 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

(10-01-2018 06:31 PM)Oldyeller Wrote:  I'm still recovering from the Texas state loss that catapulted GS into the dumpster fire that followed for a half decade. There's merit in taking your time and focusing on what really matters. You're on the right track currently.

I certainly hope so. A lot on here seem to think we aren't and I can see why. This rebuild is taking forever but we are definitely improved. Hopefully we can speed it up a bit.
10-02-2018 09:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.