Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Polls and SBC teams
Bookmark and Share
T2003 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy & Auburn
Polls and SBC teams
This week, no SBC team is receiving any votes in the AP poll but Buffalo seems to impress some voters. I think the overall perception of the conference really hurts some teams here (App St, Ark St, Troy). Not saying these teams should be ranked, but at least they shoud receive some votes.

What do you all think would it take for us to get ranked earlier in the season? Probably having two signature wins vs P5 teams and/or vs Top 25 teams would get an SBC team ranked at #24 or #25 by week 3 or 4 - but assume your top wins are against 0-3 Nebraska, Tulsa, UNLV, USM - in this case the SBC team probably would have to be 7-0, 8-1, 9-1, in order to get ranked.

Now, I think it's mostly about perception and publicity (sometimes just winning is not enough). So if your conference is holding you back, then you need to create some individual publicity by hiring a name coach (eg Kiffin and FAU) or add a big time transfer (think Moss/Marshall) so your team would be included in future Heisman discussions. In this case, I would argue being 3-0 or 4-1 would already get you ranked. Currently, this would be the only way for SBC teams to get ranked earlier in the season without beating top ranked P5 teams...

AP Top 25

Others receiving votes: Colorado 83, Boise State 58, Virginia Tech 55, South Florida 50, Oklahoma State 44, Texas A&M 41, Iowa 31, South Carolina 31, Florida 29, NC State 28, Syracuse 25, TCU 24, Cincinnati 10, North Texas 10, Utah 9, Missouri 7, Ole Miss 7, Maryland 6, Buffalo 6, San Diego State 5, Arizona State 4
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2018 04:31 PM by T2003.)
09-23-2018 04:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Florida RedWolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: arkansas state
RE: Polls and SBC teams
(09-23-2018 04:09 PM)T2003 Wrote:  This week, no SBC team is receiving any votes in the AP poll but Buffalo seems to impress some voters. I think the overall perception of the conference really hurts some teams here (App St, Ark St, Troy). Not saying these teams should be ranked, but at least they shoud receive some votes.

What do you all think would it take for us to get ranked earlier in the season? Probably having two signature wins vs P5 teams and/or vs Top 25 teams would get an SBC team ranked at #24 or #25 by week 3 or 4 - but assume your top wins are against 0-3 Nebraska, Tulsa, UNLV, USM - in this case the SBC team probably would have to be 7-0, 8-1, 9-1, in order to get ranked.

Now, I think it's mostly about perception and publicity (sometimes just winning is not enough). So if your conference is holding you back, then you need to create some individual publicity by hiring a name coach (eg Kiffin and FAU) or add a big time transfer (think Moss/Marshall) so your team would be included in future Heisman discussions. In this case, I would argue being 3-0 or 4-1 would already get you ranked. Currently, this would be the only way for SBC teams to get ranked without beating top ranked P5 teams...

AP Top 25

Others receiving votes: Colorado 83, Boise State 58, Virginia Tech 55, South Florida 50, Oklahoma State 44, Texas A&M 41, Iowa 31, South Carolina 31, Florida 29, NC State 28, Syracuse 25, TCU 24, Cincinnati 10, North Texas 10, Utah 9, Missouri 7, Ole Miss 7, Maryland 6, Buffalo 6, San Diego State 5, Arizona State 4

Surprised that Virginia Tech and Ole Miss is in this group. Tech lost to ODU bad and Ole Miss got beat worst than we did against Bama. They had trouble with Kent State this weekend. The reason they are ranked is because they are P5 teams with name recognition. The SBC has to earn it, they don't.
09-23-2018 04:27 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Beat more crappy Power 5 teams.

That's arguably how the MAC has had so many more ranked teams than the SBC despite the fact that we beat that league like a drum.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2018 04:38 PM by EigenEagle.)
09-23-2018 04:33 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
Finish in the top 25 and return 85% of your starters including your QB.
09-23-2018 04:47 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(09-23-2018 04:33 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Beat more crappy Power 5 teams.

That's arguably how the MAC has had so many more ranked teams than the SBC despite the fact that we beat that league like a drum.

This.

Beating the Wake Forests, Purdue's, and Kansas's as well as beating the G5 competition on the schedule.

There's no big science to it. The mapwork has been laid out by many other G5 teams in various conferences. You just gotta win. After Troy beat Marshall and Missouri in 2004 and started out 2-0, they had shot up to #29 in the AP Poll after starting the season with zero votes.
09-23-2018 04:49 PM
moonshine Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
(09-23-2018 04:27 PM)Florida RedWolf Wrote:  Surprised that Virginia Tech and Ole Miss is in this group. Tech lost to ODU bad and Ole Miss got beat worst than we did against Bama. They had trouble with Kent State this weekend. The reason they are ranked is because they are P5 teams with name recognition. The SBC has to earn it, they don't.

One voter had VT at #12. Another voter has the Ducks at #12 fresh off a loss and ahead of UCF & Penn St. respectively. Speaking of Ole Miss, one voter had them at #19 giving the Rebs their 7.

Some of these voters should have their privilege revoked!
09-23-2018 05:22 PM
Advertisement

Florida RedWolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: arkansas state
(09-23-2018 05:22 PM)moonshine Wrote:  
(09-23-2018 04:27 PM)Florida RedWolf Wrote:  Surprised that Virginia Tech and Ole Miss is in this group. Tech lost to ODU bad and Ole Miss got beat worst than we did against Bama. They had trouble with Kent State this weekend. The reason they are ranked is because they are P5 teams with name recognition. The SBC has to earn it, they don't.

One voter had VT at #12. Another voter has the Ducks at #12 fresh off a loss and ahead of UCF & Penn St. respectively. Speaking of Ole Miss, one voter had them at #19 giving the Rebs their 7.

Some of these voters should have their privilege revoked!

One should not be able to vote for teams in which you have an interest such as a home town/area conference. I promise you SEC area voters have a very firm understanding they are to vote SEC, same as the ACC.
09-23-2018 05:57 PM
biggie Offline
2nd String

Coaches poll

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

25 for App
5 for Troy
3 for Ark St
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2018 07:12 PM by biggie.)
09-23-2018 07:11 PM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

(09-23-2018 04:09 PM)T2003 Wrote:  What do you all think would it take for us to get ranked earlier in the season?

1 or fewer losses the year before with a win over a pair of P5s, retaining your coach, and 90% of your offense.

That or a hundred thousand in a brief case.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
09-23-2018 08:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
Not a poll, but App is at #20 in the S&P+ rankings. They've shown very well this year.
09-23-2018 10:33 PM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte
I want to know who the dumbasses are that don’t put Alabama as #1. One person in the AP poll had Clemson. In the coaches’ poll, two people had Clemson, and one had Ohio St. Now Saban won’t rank Alabama, so he probably voted Clemson. It’s probsbly in Malzahn’s contract that he can’t vote for Alabama, so he probably put Clemson too. So who’s the other one? Did Urban vote for himself?
09-23-2018 10:52 PM
Advertisement

TampaTom Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
Appalachian State not getting a look from anyone in the AP is a crime.
09-24-2018 08:01 AM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(09-24-2018 08:01 AM)TampaTom Wrote:  Appalachian State not getting a look from anyone in the AP is a crime.

I suspect had they been able to play that game against usm and thump them, they would be getting a few votes but even tho they took penn state to overtime, their wins have been against no-names. I do think they deserve some notice.
09-24-2018 09:25 AM
biggie Offline
2nd String

(09-24-2018 09:25 AM)runamuck Wrote:  I suspect had they been able to play that game against usm and thump them, they would be getting a few votes but even tho they took penn state to overtime, their wins have been against no-names. I do think they deserve some notice.
Can't we count beating VT by beating UNCC who beat ODU? :)
09-24-2018 10:23 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(09-23-2018 04:27 PM)Florida RedWolf Wrote:  
(09-23-2018 04:09 PM)T2003 Wrote:  This week, no SBC team is receiving any votes in the AP poll but Buffalo seems to impress some voters. I think the overall perception of the conference really hurts some teams here (App St, Ark St, Troy). Not saying these teams should be ranked, but at least they shoud receive some votes.

Now, I think it's mostly about perception and publicity (sometimes just winning is not enough). So if your conference is holding you back, then you need to create some individual publicity by hiring a name coach (eg Kiffin and FAU) or add a big time transfer (think Moss/Marshall) so your team would be included in future Heisman discussions. In this case, I would argue being 3-0 or 4-1 would already get you ranked. Currently, this would be the only way for SBC teams to get ranked without beating top ranked P5 teams...

AP Top 25

Surprised that Virginia Tech and Ole Miss is in this group. Tech lost to ODU bad and Ole Miss got beat worst than we did against Bama. They had trouble with Kent State this weekend. The reason they are ranked is because they are P5 teams with name recognition. The SBC has to earn it, they don't.

Ole Miss is receiving votes based on nothing. They gave up over 600 yards to SIU and were trounced by Alabama.
09-24-2018 11:29 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(09-24-2018 09:25 AM)runamuck Wrote:  
(09-24-2018 08:01 AM)TampaTom Wrote:  Appalachian State not getting a look from anyone in the AP is a crime.

I suspect had they been able to play that game against usm and thump them, they would be getting a few votes but even tho they took penn state to overtime, their wins have been against no-names. I do think they deserve some notice.

How you win matters as much as who the opponent is. App has looked not only next level, but treated both Charlotte and GWU as a decent P5 team would be expected to.
09-24-2018 11:30 AM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

Also, App up to 25 points in the Coaches Poll. Gained 12 points from Week 4 to Week 5 Poll.

Virginia Tech is still ranked.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2018 11:34 AM by ericsaid.)
09-24-2018 11:33 AM
AppfanInCAAland Offline
1st String

(09-24-2018 11:30 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  

How you win matters as much as who the opponent is. App has looked not only next level, but treated both Charlotte and GWU as a decent P5 team would be expected to.

So far to me at least, App has looked like how I would expected any Top 25 team to look playing a similar out of conference schedule.
09-24-2018 11:39 AM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Troy receiving 5 votes

stAte receiving 3
09-24-2018 11:46 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(09-24-2018 11:39 AM)AppfanInCAAland Wrote:  
(09-24-2018 11:30 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  

So far to me at least, App has looked like how I would expected any Top 25 team to look playing a similar out of conference schedule.

My feelings as well. We will see how they look against South Alabama. If App comes out and dominates in the same fashion as the previous three weeks, they will pick-up more votes in the Coaches Poll and likely get into getting votes for the AP Poll. you can only be ignored for so long.
09-24-2018 12:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.