$800,000 per year
08-31-2018 05:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ElFanatico Offline
1st String

I Root For: David Kool 3's
RE: $800,000 per year
What's the average salary for a positional coach with no track record of FBS coaching success?
08-31-2018 06:06 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
In the MAC? Probably more like $40k a year, is what I'd guess.
08-31-2018 06:11 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
Seen enough. Bad hire and a worse job putting together a staff. Most of us knew it when it happened, so this really shouldn't have been a shock.
08-31-2018 06:12 PM
Wmufan715 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wmu
The biggest problem was he didn’t even have success as an FBS coordinator! If he didn’t take the Western job I think his job offers were OC at Toledo and Ball State.

Fleck wasn’t an X’s and O’s Genius by any means but he surrounded himself by X’s and O’s wizards and guys with NFL experience. Lester is not a guru and has surrounded himself with FCS and D2 guys along with his friend circle.
08-31-2018 06:13 PM
anthonybronco Offline
1st String

I always thought he was overpaid... he can thank PJ for raising the salary bar
08-31-2018 06:15 PM
Advertisement

wmutkelaw Offline

I Root For: WMU and VALPO
The future, I mean after more 2 years...looks bright.
08-31-2018 06:16 PM
wmutkelaw Offline

This is obviously Fleck’s fault. Did he leave talent level in the dumps, or set the standard too high? Either way...
08-31-2018 06:18 PM
ElFanatico Offline
1st String

I Root For: David Kool 3's
You guys are looking at this all wrong. Lester has came back to Western to remind us who we really are.
08-31-2018 07:16 PM
wmutkelaw Offline

I want to eat crow!
08-31-2018 08:52 PM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

Y’all shouldn’t be surprised. WMU will be “proud” of their performance against a low end P-5. WMU is back to where they are comfortable...the bottom. Welcome back 8k attendance.
08-31-2018 09:43 PM
Advertisement

Wmufan715 Offline
2nd String

Watching this with the level of detail he speaks, Lester would be a great QB coach.

At the FBS level he’s shown to struggle managing the entire unit first on offense and now the team.

I’m confident he can help Wassink and the WRs continue to grow but very concerned about how he manages the whole team especially on game day.

https://youtu.be/3uX9SEF0t9Q
08-31-2018 11:11 PM
GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

The next 3-4 yrs will be deja vu from the cubit yrs. We are back to not expecting to win against lower tier P5s (even at home!). I’m seeing comments already about our season doesn’t start until Mac play which is very disappointing. I really hope Lester can look past his beer drinking friendships and overhaul this defensive staff this offseason. Here’s to finishing 2nd or 3rd in Mac west for next 4 yrs! Hopefully boosters will step up and buy out his contract after a couple 6-7 win seasons.
09-01-2018 07:00 AM
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
(09-01-2018 07:00 AM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  The next 3-4 yrs will be deja vu from the cubit yrs. We are back to not expecting to win against lower tier P5s (even at home!). I’m seeing comments already about our season doesn’t start until Mac play which is very disappointing. I really hope Lester can look past his beer drinking friendships and overhaul this defensive staff this offseason. Here’s to finishing 2nd or 3rd in Mac west for next 4 yrs! Hopefully boosters will step up and buy out his contract after a couple 6-7 win seasons.

I thought Cubit was a good coach, and under Cubit we usually had very competitive teams. I am thinking though that by our fourth year under Lester we will be longing for a Bill Cubit caliber team. I just don't think this group, and Lester in particular, gets it.

It was important to Lester that he "put his own stamp on the program", and so right away he removed the RTB stuff, and made no effort to keep a defensive coordinator who had tremendous success, as well as great knowledge of the players, and instead hire some bozzo buddies. Why change a program philosophy which took years to establish, and which the entire team of players had bought into 100%, and which had carried the program to its all time high, and to the promise land for a G5 school? I said it at the time when others thought it was a great idea to remove RTB slogan and mentality; why should we? It was a circle the wagon concept, which defined team, not just what happens on the field with the players, but an ethic which reaches everyone associated with the program, and continues 24-7, every day of every year. But We got rid of it, "because it was Flecks". BS; it was the WMU programs, and our players knew it. But, "new coach, so new philosophies ". That worked great for Enos and CMU too. And we all laughed at how stupid CMU was at the time. We were right to laugh. The Chips are chuckling now.
09-01-2018 09:21 AM
Fthechips Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Mich
(09-01-2018 09:21 AM)brovol Wrote:  
(09-01-2018 07:00 AM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  The next 3-4 yrs will be deja vu from the cubit yrs. We are back to not expecting to win against lower tier P5s (even at home!). I’m seeing comments already about our season doesn’t start until Mac play which is very disappointing. I really hope Lester can look past his beer drinking friendships and overhaul this defensive staff this offseason. Here’s to finishing 2nd or 3rd in Mac west for next 4 yrs! Hopefully boosters will step up and buy out his contract after a couple 6-7 win seasons.

I thought Cubit was a good coach, and under Cubit we usually had very competitive teams. I am thinking though that by our fourth year under Lester we will be longing for a Bill Cubit caliber team. I just don't think this group, and Lester in particular, gets it.

It was important to Lester that he "put his own stamp on the program", and so right away he removed the RTB stuff, and made no effort to keep a defensive coordinator who had tremendous success, as well as great knowledge of the players, and instead hire some bozzo buddies. Why change a program philosophy which took years to establish, and which the entire team of players had bought into 100%, and which had carried the program to its all time high, and to the promise land for a G5 school? I said it at the time when others thought it was a great idea to remove RTB slogan and mentality; why should we? It was a circle the wagon concept, which defined team, not just what happens on the field with the players, but an ethic which reaches everyone associated with the program, and continues 24-7, every day of every year. But We got rid of it, "because it was Flecks". BS; it was the WMU programs, and our players knew it. But, "new coach, so new philosophies ". That worked great for Enos and CMU too. And we all laughed at how stupid CMU was at the time. We were right to laugh. The Chips are chuckling now.

We don’t own the rights to RTB. Wasn’t a choice for us, had to remove it. And with Minnesota plastering RTB everywhere, why would we want to compete with it? Let’s ride
09-01-2018 09:28 AM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-01-2018 09:28 AM)Fthechips Wrote:  

We don’t own the rights to RTB. Wasn’t a choice for us, had to remove it. And with Minnesota plastering RTB everywhere, why would we want to compete with it? Let’s ride

Exactly... get out of here with that RTB BS... It worked while the Admiral was at the helm... but when he left he wanted to take his toys with him... Nothing WMU could or ( in my opinion ) would wan't to do about it...
09-01-2018 09:38 AM
Advertisement

PezKingGL1 Offline
1st String

(09-01-2018 09:28 AM)Fthechips Wrote:  

I wouldn't have kept it, but we did own the rights. Sold them to Fleck for too cheap imo.
09-01-2018 09:40 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I know I’m being a bit captain obvious here, but Cubit’s real only issue was that he couldn’t win those “key” division/rival games to get us to the MACC. It’s not too dissimilar from what Jimbo is feeling in AA.

His record against the MAC East was ridiculously gaudy.

Cubit had fun offenses, beat several BCS/P5 teams and scared several others (I.e FSU). Although he was very different from Fleck, I appreciated his serious, businesslike yet fair sideline demeanor. Very Dantonio-like. And he could spit some fire if need be to rally the troops, although maybe overdid it earlier in his tenure.

But he could never figure out NIU/Toledo and lost a few too many to CMU.

And on a side note, this program seems to have had trouble with mobile or dual threat QBs even dating back to the Darnell days.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2018 10:11 AM by Motown Bronco.)
09-01-2018 10:11 AM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(09-01-2018 10:11 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  I know I’m being a bit captain obvious here, but Cubit’s real only issue was that he couldn’t win those “key” division/rival games to get us to the MACC. It’s not too dissimilar from what Jimbo is feeling in AA.

His record against the MAC East was ridiculously gaudy.

Cubit had fun offenses, beat several BCS/P5 teams and scared several others (I.e FSU). Although he was very different from Fleck, I appreciated his serious, businesslike yet fair sideline demeanor. Very Dantonio-like. And he could spit some fire if need be to rally the troops, although maybe overdid it earlier in his tenure.

But he could never figure out NIU/Toledo and lost a few too many to CMU.

And on a side note, this program seems to have had trouble with mobile or dual threat QBs even dating back to the Darnell days.

Accurate assessment of Cubit.

Wins weren't hard to come by under Cubit. Winning the MAC was.
09-01-2018 10:14 AM
BroncoJim Offline
2nd String

(08-31-2018 06:15 PM)anthonybronco Wrote:  I always thought he was overpaid... he can thank PJ for raising the salary bar

KB clearly overpaid for Lester. She could have gotten him for $350k and had him EARN being the highest paid coach in the conference like Fleck did. IMO, this was professional malpractice in both the failure to find the “right” coach to maintain/build on what Fleck had created and then overpaying for the “wrong” coach.
09-01-2018 11:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.