Toledo product Ola Adeniyi turning heads at Steelers camp
08-09-2018 06:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

falconplucker Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Toledo product Ola Adeniyi turning heads at Steelers camp
Proof that you don't need to specialize in a sport to make it big. He wasn't even familiar with American football until 10 years ago. He didn't make his high school team until his junior year. You either have it or you don't. All of the AAU organized sports stuff is pretty much just a racket in my opinion. A way for sporting goods companies to sell specific equipment all year round and a free recruit evaluation system for colleges and high schools.

Enough of my rant. Good Adeniyi! Hopefully he blossoms into a HOF Linebacker!
08-09-2018 06:41 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

It's not "proof." 7 Billion people in the world, anecdotes happen. As for "you either have it or you don't." smh I'm going to guess you weren't thinking the basic evil within that statement. Well, I suppose that could be semantics. Taking that POV then the problem would be in recognizing those that have it and I don't know, do what with the rest? I guess I'm more of a recognize the possibilities and try to develop them, kind of person. "It" might not be there but a good parent, mentor, coach, teacher might be able to help a person develop "it."

Ranting is contagious.
08-09-2018 07:00 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(08-09-2018 07:00 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  It's not "proof." 7 Billion people in the world, anecdotes happen. As for "you either have it or you don't." smh I'm going to guess you weren't thinking the basic evil within that statement. Well, I suppose that could be semantics. Taking that POV then the problem would be in recognizing those that have it and I don't know, do what with the rest? I guess I'm more of a recognize the possibilities and try to develop them, kind of person. "It" might not be there but a good parent, mentor, coach, teacher might be able to help a person develop "it."

Ranting is contagious.

Not too many 6 foot Centers in the NBA.
08-09-2018 08:58 AM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-09-2018 08:58 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(08-09-2018 07:00 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  It's not "proof." 7 Billion people in the world, anecdotes happen. As for "you either have it or you don't." smh I'm going to guess you weren't thinking the basic evil within that statement. Well, I suppose that could be semantics. Taking that POV then the problem would be in recognizing those that have it and I don't know, do what with the rest? I guess I'm more of a recognize the possibilities and try to develop them, kind of person. "It" might not be there but a good parent, mentor, coach, teacher might be able to help a person develop "it."

Ranting is contagious.

Not too many 6 foot Centers in the NBA.

Didn't used to be any black ones either. Your point?
08-09-2018 10:18 AM
falconplucker Offline
1st String

For me, I just see and have seen friends spend thousands of dollars on travel sports and all they usually end up with is a scholarship to an overpriced private school and the scholarships don't usually cover majority of expenses. It would be interesting to see if you compared the average sports scholarship vs the financial cost in achieving it (gas, airfare, hotels, private trainers, equipment, psychical therapy, travel food, uniforms, and the competition "bonuses" of having to fly/travel to even more distant/expensive locations for national competitions). If you banked all of that travel sport money, that is often sold on the premise of getting a college scholarship, if it even comes close to the scholarship you will get. I still think most coaches already know who the stars are. I think the rest is just a gimmick, unless it's something your kid really enjoys and you have the money for it. Maybe I just think of this more often, because I have 3 year old.
08-09-2018 12:12 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(08-09-2018 12:12 PM)falconplucker Wrote:  For me, I just see and have seen friends spend thousands of dollars on travel sports and all they usually end up with is a scholarship to an overpriced private school and the scholarships don't usually cover majority of expenses. It would be interesting to see if you compared the average sports scholarship vs the financial cost in achieving it (gas, airfare, hotels, private trainers, equipment, psychical therapy, travel food, uniforms, and the competition "bonuses" of having to fly/travel to even more distant/expensive locations for national competitions). If you banked all of that travel sport money, that is often sold on the premise of getting a college scholarship, if it even comes close to the scholarship you will get. I still think most coaches already know who the stars are. I think the rest is just a gimmick, unless it's something your kid really enjoys and you have the money for it. Maybe I just think of this more often, because I have 3 year old.

I do think you have a point, one that would apply to a significant number of young athletes, and promoting of travel teams and specials is a growing and expensive industry that perhaps benefit top 10% of those kids but are more than willing to take the $$$$$ from the parents of the other average or even below average. Good coaching in jr HS and HS can sort out those top students and steer than in direction for collage scholarships even without paying for all those other "services". Many parents think their kids are the next LBJ or Tom Brady when in fact majority are just good athletes having fun, competing and picking up good work habits, but truly nor elite nor ever will be.
08-09-2018 12:39 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-09-2018 12:12 PM)falconplucker Wrote:  For me, I just see and have seen friends spend thousands of dollars on travel sports and all they usually end up with is a scholarship to an overpriced private school .. Maybe I just think of this more often, because I have 3 year old.
Yeah, probably too late to start the kid on competitive swimming lessons. Spitting up should be a college sport. Oh wait,.. it is.

Maybeyour friends and their kids had some fun while doing this? I'd be talking out of my hat to pretend I understand that system but I can see it being efficient for the recuiters, a chance to meet other people,...
I know a lot of good people really enjoyed their time at an "overpriced" private school. Kenyan, I can only imagine what college life would be like? Probably looks better as an adult than as a kid. Bunch of trees and quiet. Yeech. If not for those schools, Lacrosse would probably die. Now that's a good sport.

Takes all kinds...
08-09-2018 02:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.