Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Parkland Schools Failed to Properly Redact a Document
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Parkland Schools Failed to Properly Redact a Document
Quote:The Parkland School Board failed to properly redact a document judges ordered them to release. Now, the school board wants the Sun Senteniel held in contempt of court for reporting on their document.

The document ordered to be released by the courts was the school's file on the Stoneman Douglas' shooter. When the school board released the document, two-thirds of the entries were redacted.

Unfortunately for Parkland's school board, they did not know how to use photoshop well enough to redact a document. Readers were able to just copy and paste the text and see the redacted content.

Still, the Parkland School board wants the reporters held in contempt of court. The school board alleges that the reporters intentionally published phrases that were ordered to be redacted by the courts.

Understandably, the school did not want this information released — and that has little to do with protecting the shooter's privacy.

The report revealed every instance where Stoneman Douglas officials failed to properly report or provide assistance to the shooter in a way that might have prevented the deaths of 17 individuals.

Tom Julin, a media law attorney, told the Sun Sentinel that the school board has “no basis” to its claims against the Sentinel.

“The problem is the School Board’s problem and not the Sun Sentinel’s,” stated Julin. “The Sun Sentinel is entitled to publish the information that it lawfully obtained even if that information should have been redacted from the document that was released.”

The failure to properly redact information is just one mistake in a long line of failures on behalf of the Parkland School Board and Broward County. Many county and school officials are named in a lawsuit on behalf of the victims.

Link
08-07-2018 02:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
RE: Parkland Schools Failed to Properly Redact a Document
Heh. I know it is sound ridiculous but we back around 2001 I had to redact a document for a legal case against my then company. We printed the document, used a Sharpie to redact, then took a picture, scanned it, then emailed it.

Old skool haxor proof.
08-07-2018 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bobdizole Online
All American

I Root For: MT
(08-07-2018 03:46 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Heh. I know it is sound ridiculous but we back around 2001 I had to redact a document for a legal case against my then company. We printed the document, used a Sharpie to redact, then took a picture, scanned it, then emailed it.

Old skool haxor proof.

Hell I do that to this day. Not worth the risk to do electronically
08-07-2018 03:55 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
There's a program called Bluebeam that knocks redacting out the park.
08-07-2018 03:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.