Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Parks Tower renovation
Bookmark and Share
Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
Parks Tower renovation
I saw something about an open house for the grand re-opening of Parks Tower as it was closed in 2017-2018. If anyone gets pics, please post them. Does this now clear the way to tear down the older dorms where the proposed new baseball and softball stadiums will go?
08-01-2018 10:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Parks Tower renovation
(08-01-2018 10:30 AM)Stpetebeachrocketfan Wrote:  I saw something about an open house for the grand re-opening of Parks Tower as it was closed in 2017-2018. If anyone gets pics, please post them. Does this now clear the way to tear down the older dorms where the proposed new baseball and softball stadiums will go?

Yep! They needed updates to the utilities and to replace the elevators, but the full renovation was because of the residence halls being demolished and a need for a long-term solution.
08-01-2018 10:45 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Room 1107 first year it was open. Roommate was Jai-Won Choi. Ron Geller, who heads up an alumni chapter in Philly IIRC, was next door. Everything looked brand new. For a month.
08-01-2018 11:32 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(08-01-2018 11:32 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  Room 1107 first year it was open. Roommate was Jai-Won Choi. Ron Geller, who heads up an alumni chapter in Philly IIRC, was next door. Everything looked brand new. For a month.

Pretty high end for UT at the time. Had some good campus and private parties.
Made a lot of friends from the Cleveland area that lived there.
08-01-2018 12:25 PM
Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

(08-01-2018 10:45 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(08-01-2018 10:30 AM)Stpetebeachrocketfan Wrote:  I saw something about an open house for the grand re-opening of Parks Tower as it was closed in 2017-2018. If anyone gets pics, please post them. Does this now clear the way to tear down the older dorms where the proposed new baseball and softball stadiums will go?

Yep! They needed updates to the utilities and to replace the elevators, but the full renovation was because of the residence halls being demolished and a need for a long-term solution.

Did those old dorms get demolished?
08-01-2018 01:26 PM
T4C8 Offline
T4C8

I Root For: U of Toledo
Talked to my buddy this morning and says there is still a bunch of work to be done in Parks....better get moving on it
08-01-2018 02:16 PM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(08-01-2018 01:26 PM)Stpetebeachrocketfan Wrote:  

Carter hall is locked and loaded for students this year. The POD is dressed up and ready to be open. I'd assume they go down next year?? It's a requirement for students to stay on campus for 2 years now so they need the rooms. Although they are old, Carter has the largest 2 person dorm rooms on campus. And they re did the AC in 2009 for a cool million dollars. Knocking down the historic dorms seems silly to me but I suppose having baseball on main campus will be cool.

The student athletes also exclusively lived in Carter for more than 15 years. Lots of history in those buildings. They opened in 1964 I believe.

In 2010 Down Nash and White were demolished to make space for the eventual Honors dorms. Parks, Carter and McKinnon? are the oldest dorms remaining that are still used for board.

I don't know much of campus before 2000 so I have no idea when Academic House, International, Ottawa E and W, or Crossings/Presidents Hall were built.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2018 02:58 PM by UofToledoFans.)
08-01-2018 02:52 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(08-01-2018 02:52 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

Carter hall is locked and loaded for students this year. The POD is dressed up and ready to be open. I'd assume they go down next year?? It's a requirement for students to stay on campus for 2 years now so they need the rooms. Although they are old, Carter has the largest 2 person dorm rooms on campus. And they re did the AC in 2009 for a cool million dollars. Knocking down the historic dorms seems silly to me but I suppose having baseball on main campus will be cool.

The student athletes also exclusively lived in Carter for more than 15 years. Lots of history in those buildings. They opened in 1970 I believe.

In 2010 Down Nash and White were demolished to make space for the eventual Honors dorms. Parks, Mccomas Village and McKinnon? are the oldest dorms remaining that are still used for board.

I don't know much of campus before 2000 so I have no idea when Academic House, International, Ottawa E and W, or Crossings/Presidents Hall were built.

I suspect Carter Hall will remain (for overflow or swing rhousing space) until fund raising has been completed-donors, corporate? - to fund move of baseball/softball to that site on main campus. Yes it is in the master plan but like everything is dependent on funds-and not from UT operating budget but other sources-dedicated fund raising campaign??
08-01-2018 02:55 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Carters are mid-60s vintage. Parks is 1971.
08-01-2018 02:57 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Must be some good views from those top floors of Parks, anyone have photos?
08-01-2018 04:12 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-01-2018 02:55 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  

The student athletes also exclusively lived in Carter for more than 15 years. Lots of history in those buildings. They opened in 1970 I believe.

In 2010 Down Nash and White were demolished to make space for the eventual Honors dorms. Parks, Mccomas Village and McKinnon? are the oldest dorms remaining that are still used for board.

I suspect Carter Hall will remain (for overflow or swing rhousing space) until fund raising has been completed-donors, corporate? - to fund move of baseball/softball to that site on main campus. Yes it is in the master plan but like everything is dependent on funds-and not from UT operating budget but other sources-dedicated fund raising campaign??

Some ideas in the Master plan were to be done in 1-5 years, others in 5-10. Of course, some will never happen.
08-01-2018 04:54 PM
Advertisement

inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

The student athletes also exclusively lived in Carter for more than 15 years. Lots of history in those buildings. They opened in 1964 I believe.

Carter Hall also looks like it's stuck in the 1960s. It's not a pretty building, and the addition of baseball & softball stadiums in that area will look fantastic right next to the Glass Bowl.
08-01-2018 09:44 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(08-01-2018 04:54 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Some ideas in the Master plan were to be done in 1-5 years, others in 5-10. Of course, some will never happen.

Honest question, has anything come to fruition with the 10-year plan yet? Wasn't it announced 2-3 years ago?
08-01-2018 09:46 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

In 2010 Down Nash and White were demolished to make space for the eventual Honors dorms. Parks, Carter and McKinnon? are the oldest dorms remaining that are still used for board.

Except that nobody went to the games when they were on campus.
08-02-2018 03:22 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(08-02-2018 03:22 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  

Except that nobody went to the games when they were on campus.

It makes sense when you consider that UT is trying to divest from Scott Park by any means necessary, because that will cut off a ton of maintenance overhead that they needlessly pay now. Carter tends to be the last choice for anyone, as it is the lowest quality dorm on campus by a significant margin, so with all buildings now open, that hall is at around 50% capacity (mostly because of LLCs specificly there in residence).

Carter is surplus to requirements with regard to residency counts at the moment with HAV (the old quad), the renovated Scott, Tucker, and McKinnon Halls with a large number of student residency, and the renovated Parks being back online. Academic House and Carter Hall were completely unoccupied prior to Parks being brought offline for renovations, so there are obviously more than enough rooms to be utilized. Carter is also the smallest normal population dorm on campus...may have the largest rooms but it has the smallest occupancy by a significant margin.

I-House and A-House were built in the 90s and Ottawa House and Presidents were built in the mid-00s to my knowledge. McKinnon, Scott, and Tucker Halls are far and away the oldest dorms still used for students (30s vs. Parks and Carter being built in the 60s-70s)

One common misconception, but Honors Academic Village (new dorm built on the bones of Down Nash White) is not an Honors dorm...there are a specific amount of rooms held for honors students, but there are not enough year to year to fill the hall, so the Engineering LLC is in there, and the managing partner (that building is not owned by UT) just opens the rest up once caps are hit.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2018 07:36 AM by BearcatMan.)
08-02-2018 07:34 AM
Rocket Pirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: Seton Hall
Where was the baseball field before it moved to Scott Park?
08-02-2018 07:47 AM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-02-2018 07:47 AM)Rocket Pirate Wrote:  Where was the baseball field before it moved to Scott Park?

Where the Recreation Center is.
08-02-2018 08:13 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(08-01-2018 09:46 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  
(08-01-2018 04:54 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Some ideas in the Master plan were to be done in 1-5 years, others in 5-10. Of course, some will never happen.

Honest question, has anything come to fruition with the 10-year plan yet? Wasn't it announced 2-3 years ago?

Was approved by UT BOT in Spring 2017
08-02-2018 10:30 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The largest residence hall on The University of Toledo campus is reopening for the 2018-19 academic year after undergoing a $12 million upgrade.

A ribbon-cutting ceremony to celebrate the transformation of Parks Tower will take place Thursday, Aug. 9, at 4:30 p.m. followed by an open house that will end at 6:30 p.m.

Parks Tower, which will house 668 students this academic year, features new elevators, bathrooms and plumbing fixtures, as well as a new entry vestibule and reinvented main lobby that includes multiple social spaces. The University also added a new fitness center, new furniture for all rooms, program space, quiet zones and kitchenettes. Lounges on each floor were overhauled and redesigned.
08-07-2018 04:26 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-02-2018 07:34 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  One common misconception, but Honors Academic Village (new dorm built on the bones of Down Nash White) is not an Honors dorm...there are a specific amount of rooms held for honors students, but there are not enough year to year to fill the hall,

Perhaps because McKinnon Hall is used to house Honors now, in single rooms.

UT can and probably does by definition fill any Hall they care to with "honors." Its simply a matter of putting the credentials cut-off where needed. How it's actually done? Well probably kind of close to that. 03-wink
08-07-2018 10:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.