Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Meanwhile, across the street
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Meanwhile, across the street
https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018...b_for.html

UAB Cuts 12 positions within their Athletic Department, blames everything on the lack of CUSA Revenue. Not really sure I believe it, but you know.
07-10-2018 04:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
RE: Meanwhile, across the street
Mmmhmmm

03-drunk
07-10-2018 05:33 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
12 is a lot of support staff, but not really high paying positions. For $400k, that’s only $33k a year per position. So like I said, support staff, but not really anything most of us will see. I do feel for the guys that UAb dropped on the streets unexpectedly, something UAb is becoming known for.
07-10-2018 05:57 PM
Florida RedWolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: arkansas state
(07-10-2018 05:57 PM)Usajags Wrote:  12 is a lot of support staff, but not really high paying positions. For $400k, that’s only $33k a year per position. So like I said, support staff, but not really anything most of us will see. I do feel for the guys that UAb dropped on the streets unexpectedly, something UAb is becoming known for.

Yes, but the lady softball coach turned ass. AD was at $96k. The $400k number is the bad one.
07-10-2018 06:11 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

Sucks to be in CUSA man.

Those schools wouldn't be having financial issues had CUSA expanded lightly, instead of gorging themselves and adding 9 schools. All they needed to do was add 5 to 7 schools. Banowsky was way too reactionary when CUSA teams began defecting to the AAC. It's one of the worst realignment moves I've ever seen.

A 10-team CUSA would most likely be doing very well right now and making almost $0.6-million per school just in TV rights.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2018 10:01 PM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
07-10-2018 09:59 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Things like this will make it more and more difficult for UAb to hire quality people.

Ground still hasn’t broken on the new stadium, and the news cycle has moved on from it, so I’m not real sure where that stands. Birmingham has been this far before on a new stadium and the thing was never built.
07-11-2018 10:31 AM
Advertisement

Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
(07-11-2018 10:31 AM)Usajags Wrote:  Things like this will make it more and more difficult for UAb to hire quality people.

Ground still hasn’t broken on the new stadium, and the news cycle has moved on from it, so I’m not real sure where that stands. Birmingham has been this far before on a new stadium and the thing was never built.

This couldn't be more true. I wonder how much the SID thing will hurt Ehsan.
07-11-2018 10:43 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(07-10-2018 09:59 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Sucks to be in CUSA man.

Those schools wouldn't be having financial issues had CUSA expanded lightly, instead of gorging themselves and adding 9 schools. All they needed to do was add 5 to 7 schools. Banowsky was way too reactionary when CUSA teams began defecting to the AAC. It's one of the worst realignment moves I've ever seen.

A 10-team CUSA would most likely be doing very well right now and making almost $0.6-million per school just in TV rights.

No sucks to be in a university system that has chosen to clamp down the potential for future transfers in excess of the current amount, inflation be damned.
07-11-2018 11:16 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU

Not really sure this is CUSA's fault. Generally speaking a lot of UAB's troubles, especially on the football side are self inflicted wounds.

When you have an academic side of campus that is openly hostile to the athletic side, things like this tend to happen.
07-11-2018 04:31 PM

(07-11-2018 04:31 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Not really sure this is CUSA's fault. Generally speaking a lot of UAB's troubles, especially on the football side are self inflicted wounds.

When you have an academic side of campus that is openly hostile to the athletic side, things like this tend to happen.

Sure, but the UAB president himself said that the TV revenue drop was a big reason UAB had to make such cuts. UAB isn't the only CUSA school to have made AD cuts since the TV revenue dropped either.

At the end of the day, a G5 conference splitting money between 14 schools is not a good thing, generally speaking.
07-11-2018 06:49 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Taking with a grain of salt considering UAB's President and AD's history with Athletics at UAB.
07-11-2018 07:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(07-11-2018 06:49 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

Sure, but the UAB president himself said that the TV revenue drop was a big reason UAB had to make such cuts. UAB isn't the only CUSA school to have made AD cuts since the TV revenue dropped either.

At the end of the day, a G5 conference splitting money between 14 schools is not a good thing, generally speaking.

Has nothing to do with it, the lady getting canned supported the football program. Their support is at all time high according to UAB posters.

At the end of day, a 10 team conference making less money is not better off either, generally speaking lol
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2018 11:51 PM by Dawgxas.)
07-11-2018 11:51 PM

(07-11-2018 11:51 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  

Has nothing to do with it, the lady getting canned supported the football program. Their support is at all time high according to UAB posters.

At the end of day, a 10 team conference making less money is not better off either, generally speaking lol

After TV revenue and conference payouts, the Sun Belt actually makes more per school than CUSA lol
07-12-2018 07:02 AM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
CUSA is dead man walking. They added some really bad programs and the dead weight (and there's a LOT of it in that league) will eventually drag down even the best of programs.

The lower part of the Sun Belt was added because our CEO's can see the future. Many of the schools who have struggled have great potential to be better. You can't say that for some of the schools in CUSA.

My comment isn't just based on football.
07-12-2018 08:08 AM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(07-12-2018 07:02 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

After TV revenue and conference payouts, the Sun Belt actually makes more per school than CUSA lol

Actually you have zero proof of that, even with an increase payout, it is win for ESPN because of the schools shouldering the production costs. All around terrible deal IMO

But The Sunbelt has to release numbers to the schools and FOIA request has to be submitted.

Same way with CUSA, rumored CBS deal is 400k per school without production costs, which is much better than the Sunbelt ESPN deal
07-12-2018 09:10 AM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES

Sucks to be under University of Alabama's thumb.
07-12-2018 09:37 AM
Advertisement

Florida RedWolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: arkansas state
(07-12-2018 09:10 AM)Dawgxas Wrote:  
(07-11-2018 04:31 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Not really sure this is CUSA's fault. Generally speaking a lot of UAB's troubles, especially on the football side are self inflicted wounds.

Actually you have zero proof of that, even with an increase payout, it is win for ESPN because of the schools shouldering the production costs. All around terrible deal IMO

But The Sunbelt has to release numbers to the schools and FOIA request has to be submitted.

Same way with CUSA, rumored CBS deal is 400k per school without production costs, which is much better than the Sunbelt ESPN deal

schools are being reimbursed for the production costs which includes Hi Def 1080 viewing. Just because you want it to be a poorer deal to the CUSA doesn't make it so.
07-12-2018 10:23 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(07-11-2018 04:31 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Not really sure this is CUSA's fault. Generally speaking a lot of UAB's troubles, especially on the football side are self inflicted wounds.

So you aren't paying production costs to be on ESPN+ or CUSA TV???

DO. NOT. BELIEVE. THAT.
07-12-2018 10:56 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(07-12-2018 10:23 AM)Florida RedWolf Wrote:  
(07-11-2018 06:49 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Sure, but the UAB president himself said that the TV revenue drop was a big reason UAB had to make such cuts. UAB isn't the only CUSA school to have made AD cuts since the TV revenue dropped either.

schools are being reimbursed for the production costs which includes Hi Def 1080 viewing. Just because you want it to be a poorer deal to the CUSA doesn't make it so.

Half of the conference was already producing 1080 content to ESPN standards so require no new equipment and no new staffing, "production costs" are found money for them.
07-12-2018 10:57 AM

(07-12-2018 09:10 AM)Dawgxas Wrote:  Actually you have zero proof of that, even with an increase payout, it is win for ESPN because of the schools shouldering the production costs. All around terrible deal IMO

Don't have proof of what? I have proof of the conference playoff payouts. I don't think anyone has all the info on the TV deal yet.

The Sun Belt's Playoff Revenue is already higher per school than CUSA. If the Sun Belt TV deal rumors of $400,000-$500,000 per school are true, then that bodes well for us.

Sun Belt - $1,181,818 per school
CUSA - $1,142,857 per school

Unknown

Sun Belt - $1,555,931 per school
CUSA - $1,071,485 per school

Sun Belt - $1,167,236 per school
CUSA - $1,100,792 per school

Now that the Sun Belt is down to 10 schools, the likelihood of higher payouts than CUSA most years is likely.

And like others have said, the production costs for ESPN are a non-factor. Most Sun Belt schools have been producing their own content for ESPN3 already. Our schools are quite a bit ahead of most CUSA schools when it comes to HD television production equipment and broadcast abilities, believe it or not. The production and equipment money ESPN was offering is pocket-money for most schools.

The fact of the matter is that CUSA schools are still trying to recover from the massive TV revenue drop, and other financial circumstances involving CUSA aren't helping.

SOURCES
http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/...180430.pdf

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014/...e-payouts/

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas-s...s-74907677
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2018 04:13 PM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
07-12-2018 12:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.