Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Comey killed a limited immunity deal with Julian Assange in ref to CIA cyber warfare
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Comey killed a limited immunity deal with Julian Assange in ref to CIA cyber warfare
http://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/3...unity-deal

Quote:One of the more devastating intelligence leaks in American history — the unmasking of the CIA’s arsenal of cyber warfare weapons last year — has an untold prelude worthy of a spy novel.

Some of the characters are household names, thanks to the Russia scandal: James Comey, fired FBI director. Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.), vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee. Department of Justice (DOJ) official Bruce Ohr. Julian Assange, grand master of WikiLeaks. And American attorney Adam Waldman, who has a Forrest Gump-like penchant for showing up in major cases of intrigue.

Each played a role in the early days of the Trump administration to try to get Assange to agree to “risk mitigation” — essentially, limiting some classified CIA information he might release in the future.

Quote:But an unexpected intervention by Comey — relayed through Warner — soured the negotiations, multiple sources tell me. Assange eventually unleashed a series of leaks that U.S. officials say damaged their cyber warfare capabilities for a long time to come.

Quote:Not included in the written proffer was an additional offer from Assange: He was willing to discuss technical evidence ruling out certain parties in the controversial leak of Democratic Party emails to WikiLeaks during the 2016 election. The U.S. government believes those emails were hacked by Russia; Assange insists they did not come from Moscow.

“Mr. Assange offered to provide technical evidence and discussion regarding who did not engage in the DNC releases,” Waldman told me. “Finally, he offered his technical expertise to the U.S. government to help address what he perceived as clear flaws in security systems that led to the loss of the U.S. cyber weapons program.”

Quote:Just a few days after the negotiations opened in mid-February, Waldman reached out to Sen. Warner; the lawyer wanted to see if Senate Intelligence Committee staff wanted any contact with Assange, to ask about Russia or other issues.

Warner engaged with Waldman over encrypted text messages, then reached out to Comey. A few days later, Warner contacted Waldman with an unexpected plea.

“He told me he had just talked with Comey and that, while the government was appreciative of my efforts, my instructions were to stand down, to end the discussions with Assange,” Waldman told me. Waldman offered contemporaneous documents to show he memorialized Warner’s exact words.

Waldman couldn’t believe a U.S. senator and the FBI chief were sending a different signal, so he went back to Laufman, who assured him the negotiations were still on. “What Laufman said to me after he heard I was told to ‘stand down’ by Warner and Comey was, ‘That’s bull****. You are not standing down and neither am I,’” Waldman recalled.

A source familiar with Warner’s interactions says the senator’s contact on the Assange matter was limited and was shared with Senate Intelligence chairman Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.). But the source acknowledges that Warner consulted Comey and passed along the “stand down” instructions to Waldman: “That did happen.”
06-25-2018 09:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TechRocks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tech
RE: Comey killed a limited immunity deal with Julian Assange in ref to CIA cyber warfare
(06-25-2018 09:42 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  http://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/3...unity-deal

Quote:One of the more devastating intelligence leaks in American history — the unmasking of the CIA’s arsenal of cyber warfare weapons last year — has an untold prelude worthy of a spy novel.

Some of the characters are household names, thanks to the Russia scandal: James Comey, fired FBI director. Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.), vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee. Department of Justice (DOJ) official Bruce Ohr. Julian Assange, grand master of WikiLeaks. And American attorney Adam Waldman, who has a Forrest Gump-like penchant for showing up in major cases of intrigue.

Each played a role in the early days of the Trump administration to try to get Assange to agree to “risk mitigation” — essentially, limiting some classified CIA information he might release in the future.

Quote:But an unexpected intervention by Comey — relayed through Warner — soured the negotiations, multiple sources tell me. Assange eventually unleashed a series of leaks that U.S. officials say damaged their cyber warfare capabilities for a long time to come.

Quote:Not included in the written proffer was an additional offer from Assange: He was willing to discuss technical evidence ruling out certain parties in the controversial leak of Democratic Party emails to WikiLeaks during the 2016 election. The U.S. government believes those emails were hacked by Russia; Assange insists they did not come from Moscow.

“Mr. Assange offered to provide technical evidence and discussion regarding who did not engage in the DNC releases,” Waldman told me. “Finally, he offered his technical expertise to the U.S. government to help address what he perceived as clear flaws in security systems that led to the loss of the U.S. cyber weapons program.”

Quote:Just a few days after the negotiations opened in mid-February, Waldman reached out to Sen. Warner; the lawyer wanted to see if Senate Intelligence Committee staff wanted any contact with Assange, to ask about Russia or other issues.

Warner engaged with Waldman over encrypted text messages, then reached out to Comey. A few days later, Warner contacted Waldman with an unexpected plea.

“He told me he had just talked with Comey and that, while the government was appreciative of my efforts, my instructions were to stand down, to end the discussions with Assange,” Waldman told me. Waldman offered contemporaneous documents to show he memorialized Warner’s exact words.

Waldman couldn’t believe a U.S. senator and the FBI chief were sending a different signal, so he went back to Laufman, who assured him the negotiations were still on. “What Laufman said to me after he heard I was told to ‘stand down’ by Warner and Comey was, ‘That’s bull****. You are not standing down and neither am I,’” Waldman recalled.

A source familiar with Warner’s interactions says the senator’s contact on the Assange matter was limited and was shared with Senate Intelligence chairman Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.). But the source acknowledges that Warner consulted Comey and passed along the “stand down” instructions to Waldman: “That did happen.”

04-jawdrop
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2018 09:51 PM by TechRocks.)
06-25-2018 09:49 PM
banker Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Comey killed a limited immunity deal with Julian Assange in ref to CIA cyber warfare
In other words, they didn't want people to know it was the mysteriously dead Seth Rich and not the Russians?
06-25-2018 09:51 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
I would need to hear directly from Adam Waldman and David Laufman on this before reaching any conclusions.

Still, another possible instance of Comey behaving strangely. Next time he’s under oath someone should ask him about it.
06-26-2018 02:35 AM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline

(06-25-2018 09:51 PM)banker Wrote:  In other words, they didn't want people to know it was the mysteriously dead Seth Rich and not the Russians?

Don't know that I would go that far but it does appear that they didn't want anything getting in their way of the witch hunt.....I mean Russia investigation narrative.

I will say this.....even in my limited investigative history we knew that even if the source wasn't particularly trustworthy you still listened to what they had to say because you never knew when or where you were going to find the truth.
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2018 07:05 AM by Kaplony.)
06-26-2018 07:04 AM
TechRocks Offline
Heisman

(06-26-2018 07:04 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(06-25-2018 09:51 PM)banker Wrote:  In other words, they didn't want people to know it was the mysteriously dead Seth Rich and not the Russians?

Don't know that I would go that far but it does appear that they didn't want anything getting in their way of the witch hunt.....I mean Russia investigation narrative.

I will say this.....even in my limited investigative history we knew that even if the source wasn't particularly trustworthy you still listened to what they had to say because you never knew when or where you were going to find the truth.

Of course. A source could give an investigator 95% crap but that 5% that's not crap could give the investigator what he needs to solve a case. This story is just another bit of info that makes one wonder about the whole thing.
06-26-2018 08:23 AM
Kaplony Offline

(06-26-2018 08:23 AM)TechRocks Wrote:  
(06-26-2018 07:04 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  

Of course. A source could give an investigator 95% crap but that 5% that's not crap could give the investigator what he needs to solve a case. This story is just another bit of info that makes one wonder about the whole thing.

And even if it doesn't directly give you a fact it often can open new avenues to check out that you never knew existed.
06-26-2018 08:45 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(06-25-2018 09:42 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  http://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/3...unity-deal

So Warner thinks he runs the executive branch?
06-26-2018 09:34 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
..Warner consulted Comey and passed along the “stand down” instructions to Waldman: “That did happen.”

Wow.
06-26-2018 09:48 AM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(06-26-2018 09:48 AM)shere khan Wrote:  ..Warner consulted Comey and passed along the “stand down” instructions to Waldman: “That did happen.”

Wow.

After his Mueller comments this past weekend, and now the fact hat he is caught up in the stand down order on Assange, Warners life is about to get thrown in the crapper.
06-26-2018 10:17 AM
Advertisement

ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(06-26-2018 10:17 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(06-26-2018 09:48 AM)shere khan Wrote:  ..Warner consulted Comey and passed along the “stand down” instructions to Waldman: “That did happen.”

Wow.

After his Mueller comments this past weekend, and now the fact hat he is caught up in the stand down order on Assange, Warners life is about to get thrown in the crapper.

Good, I despise that pock-marked pizza faced self-righteous asshat.
06-26-2018 12:23 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
I'd like to know who hacked the DNC
06-26-2018 12:29 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(06-26-2018 12:29 PM)gdunn Wrote:  I'd like to know who hacked the DNC
The DNC
06-26-2018 12:32 PM
TechRocks Offline
Heisman

(06-26-2018 12:29 PM)gdunn Wrote:  I'd like to know who hacked the DNC

I wish some of you guys would weigh in on the Loretta Lynch thread I started. Your question of who hacked the DNC might have an answer there.
06-26-2018 12:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.