Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

does america need the rest of the world?
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
does america need the rest of the world?
i was trying to find of owl rugby man's posts which said the above to no avail.

i kinda think if we truly didn't need the rest of the world we wouldn't have such a big military. when your varied interests are global a strong presence can be ugly but ultimately necessary. granted, defense is only a small portion of the budget, no? but i think the influence it exerts is greater than it's monetary number. maybe it's not the number one factor that the us needs the world....

i feel we have the resources to live on an island but the feasibility or practicality of the matter, the installation is another matter. what would it entail to be fully autonomous?

please meld with the proper thread if this already exists
06-11-2018 11:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
RE: does america need the rest of the world?
Read Peter Zeihan - he's got a fascinating perspective on this and his predictions are looking spot on right now. The main points are: 1) The world does need us; 2) Geography/resources means we don't need the world nearly as much; 3) to the world's surprise, we elected to protect it after WWII, in exchange for nothing other than trade (see Bretton Woods). America has been growing its indifference to Bretton Woods in the last couple of decades and now has someone in office who is not just indifferent but appears to have some animosity toward that framework.

I don't know what it would entail exactly to become "autonomous" but I think we're about to find out.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2018 12:05 PM by Brookes Owl.)
06-11-2018 12:04 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Sure we could get by without collapsing into developing world status, but people would have to adjust to a lower quality of life.
06-11-2018 12:06 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(06-11-2018 12:06 PM)Niner National Wrote:  Sure we could get by without collapsing into developing world status, but people would have to adjust to a lower quality of life.

In what ways would it lower your quality of life?
06-11-2018 12:12 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami

FATHER KNOWS BEST
06-11-2018 12:14 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
linky pleasy.
06-11-2018 12:14 PM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
OP here's a link before this topic goes into the world of deep dark space to never be seen again

https://www.tomorrowsworld.org/magazines...ut-america
06-11-2018 12:19 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(06-11-2018 11:56 AM)Lush Wrote:  i was trying to find of owl rugby man's posts which said the above to no avail.

i kinda think if we truly didn't need the rest of the world we wouldn't have such a big military. when your varied interests are global a strong presence can be ugly but ultimately necessary. granted, defense is only a small portion of the budget, no? but i think the influence it exerts is greater than it's monetary number. maybe it's not the number one factor that the us needs the world....

i feel we have the resources to live on an island but the feasibility or practicality of the matter, the installation is another matter. what would it entail to be fully autonomous?

To believe that we don't live in a global economy and that we don't need the rest of the world would be simply insane. However, the previous administration worked to minimize our footprint and power on the world's stage, which was the absolute wrong thing to do. The current administration seems to be taking the actuarial approach to offsetting the previous job, but going the exact opposite extreme. I hope it pays off in the long run.
06-11-2018 12:21 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
(06-11-2018 12:21 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  
(06-11-2018 11:56 AM)Lush Wrote:  i was trying to find of owl rugby man's posts which said the above to no avail.

To believe that we don't live in a global economy and that we don't need the rest of the world would be simply insane. However, the previous administration worked to minimize our footprint and power on the world's stage, which was the absolute wrong thing to do. The current administration seems to be taking the actuarial approach to offsetting the previous job, but going the exact opposite extreme. I hope it pays off in the long run.

do you think it's prudent to point towards the future?
06-11-2018 12:30 PM
bobdizole Offline
All American

I Root For: MT
One big reason we need the rest of the world are rare earth minerals. We have no where close to amount of deposits we need, but they are used in every single piece of technology these days.
06-11-2018 12:32 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(06-11-2018 12:14 PM)green Wrote:  

FATHER KNOWS BEST

Hey, that could be the Demoncraptic Party voters. For them it's party over nation when it deals with the Republicans. They fail to see the ugliness that is their party. Like that loser Maher wanting a recession over a prosperous US in order to appease his anger over Trump.
06-11-2018 12:36 PM
Advertisement

BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND

The main problem I see with being an island unto itself is competition.

Say what you will about trade, but competition from abroad keeps our companies honest. Left to their own devices with NO competition, we'd eventually revert back to the days of driving the AMC Pacer, the Pinto, or the Chevette. One of the reasons the Big 3 (or as they're better know today, Ford, Government Motors, and Fiat) are competitive and innovative was competition from Japan among others.

Unless you have someone pushing, companies get lazy and unless consumers have options, companies will put whatever garbage they can out there because people will have no choice but to buy it.
06-11-2018 01:18 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(06-11-2018 12:12 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(06-11-2018 12:06 PM)Niner National Wrote:  Sure we could get by without collapsing into developing world status, but people would have to adjust to a lower quality of life.

In what ways would it lower your quality of life?

I'd imagine prices for lots of stuff would increase.
06-11-2018 01:22 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-11-2018 01:22 PM)VA49er Wrote:  I'd imagine prices for lots of stuff would increase.

so would wages ...

TRADE-OFF
06-11-2018 01:28 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(06-11-2018 01:28 PM)green Wrote:  
(06-11-2018 01:22 PM)VA49er Wrote:  I'd imagine prices for lots of stuff would increase.

so would wages ...

TRADE-OFF

Whose wages and why would they increase?
06-11-2018 01:30 PM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
To answer the OP, we need the rest of the world far less than they need us. We should become non-interventionist, engage in favorable trade agreements, and let other countries carry the burden of their defense.
06-11-2018 01:33 PM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
The rest of the world needs the US far more than US needs the rest of the world.

As far as the G7 is concerned, it looks like Italy and Japan had no issues with Trump's tough talk. Our allies are abundant and geographically diverse. I highly doubt we'd ever be in this "island" position.
06-11-2018 01:35 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-11-2018 01:30 PM)VA49er Wrote:  
(06-11-2018 01:28 PM)green Wrote:  

so would wages ...

TRADE-OFF

Whose wages and why would they increase?

restrict labor ...
increase demand ...

PONY UP
06-11-2018 01:36 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

Not really. We dont have a higher quality of life due to trade. We have a higher quality of life due to governmental deficit spending and the increased availability/use of consumer debt.

The only thing we really would need to import are rare earth elements. We are not blessed with an abundance of these (especially considering our high usage).

Here is the bottom line. Trump has proposed free and fair trade. He has proposed a completely tariff free zone among the G7 and was shot down. Why is that? Because the reality is there has been a trade war against the US for decades. We just never really bothered to respond because it made goods cheaper---but what it also did is erode our manufacturing base which has eroded our ability to grow the economy at the rate necessary to get everyone properly employed. Thats why wages have been stagnant. What we are actually seeing from Trump is not the start of a trade war---we are seeing the first ever significant US response in a long ignored long running trade war. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2018 02:07 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-11-2018 02:01 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(06-11-2018 12:32 PM)bobdizole Wrote:  One big reason we need the rest of the world are rare earth minerals. We have no where close to amount of deposits we need, but they are used in every single piece of technology these days.
Wow. Good job. The answer folks. Doesn't Canada have a majority of the world's nickel. Not gonna Google it
06-11-2018 02:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.