Wink PJ's Still At It ...
05-13-2018 04:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Aimless1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WMU Bronos
RE: PJ's Still At It ...
I just threw up in my mouth while reading that.
05-13-2018 04:49 PM
Stampede your face!! Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
(05-13-2018 04:25 PM)Whinny1 Wrote:  Alabama, indeed. 03-lmfao

https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/11/p-...t-back-to/

I think every time that we bring PJ up in this forum, it makes us look butt hurt about him leaving. He has national championship goals. So what? At least he has goals. We are still mocking the guy that took our team where it hasn't been in 28 years?

Look, I know he rubbed some people the wrong way with his approach. But he delivered. I, for one, am thankful that I got see another WMU Mac champion, which I thought I might never see.

We're done with PJ, let's move on.

Let's talk about our current coach. Or is he just not that interesting?
05-13-2018 05:38 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Fleck is going to have a tough time just getting to top of Big Ten West division.
05-14-2018 07:00 AM
Aimless1 Offline
Special Teams

(05-13-2018 05:38 PM)Stampede your face!! Wrote:  
(05-13-2018 04:25 PM)Whinny1 Wrote:  Alabama, indeed. 03-lmfao

https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/11/p-...t-back-to/

I think every time that we bring PJ up in this forum, it makes us look butt hurt about him leaving.

We're done with PJ, let's move on.

Let's talk about our current coach. Or is he just not that interesting?

I agree with this. No reason to dwell on him and we need to look forward.

His teams here under achieved in years 1 & 3 and over achieved in year 4, and under achieved in his first year at MN. He will most likely not get to the B1G championship game, much less contend for a National Championship.
05-14-2018 07:26 AM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
PJ is gonna be PJ.

He accomplished the following at WMU:

1) Won a MAC Championship - 1st in 38 years and something his predecessor was never going to accomplish (Cubit should have won at least one between 2006 and 2008).
2) OWNED Central Michigan on and off the field (the 49-10 game will NEVER be forgotten, nor will "The Drive" from the 2015 season in Kalamazoo, let alone the fact he turned Kelly Shorts Stadium into "Waldo North").
3) Led WMU to a New Years Day bowl game, which the team was competitive in and had the opportunity to win late in the 4th quarter.
4) Led a WMU team that was ranked in the Top 15 in the Nation at the end of the season and had a better Pig10 record than Dantonio's sleazy Spartans.

I will forever be grateful to Fleck for the above. However, it was time for him to move-on and I am pleased he is no longer in Kalamazoo. I wish him no ill-will, but I really do not care how Minnesota does (other than beating Michigan and Michigan State which I would want even if Fleck was not there).

Go Broncos!
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2018 11:16 AM by GullLake.)
05-14-2018 08:12 AM
Advertisement

BuickBronco Offline
Special Teams

PJ, 50 years ago the Gophers were 6-4. Minnesota was a national power 65 years ago for a couple of seasons. PJ being PJ
05-14-2018 08:40 AM
Whinny1 Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU and Iowa
I don't dwell on PJ. He did good things for our Bronco program, and I thank him for that. As an Iowa alumna, I read the Hawkeye board on Rivals from time to time. That's where I found the above link. I just find it amusing to see how fans of other B1G schools react to the Fleck dog-and-pony show. Many of the comments echo those that were posted here. It's like deja vu all over again.
05-14-2018 10:41 AM
BuickBronco Offline
Special Teams

(05-14-2018 10:41 AM)Whinny1 Wrote:  I don't dwell on PJ. He did good things for our Bronco program, and I thank him for that. As an Iowa alumna, I read the Hawkeye board on Rivals from time to time. That's where I found the above link. I just find it amusing to see how fans of other B1G schools react to the Fleck dog-and-pony show. Many of the comments echo those that were posted here. It's like deja vu all over again.

It's self inflicted by PJ and he is no dummy about how to PR his program
05-14-2018 12:47 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

Wonder how his upperclassmen feel about him publicly stating Minnesota isn't going to win big for several more years?
05-14-2018 05:33 PM
BuickBronco Offline
Special Teams

(05-14-2018 05:33 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Wonder how his upperclassmen feel about him publicly stating Minnesota isn't going to win big for several more years?

Wonder how many of the WMU recruits he took will stay? Those kids were fillers for a recruiting class PJ couldn't assemble in short order. Imagine several would be getting playing time at WMU this fall.
05-15-2018 03:28 PM
Advertisement

WMUPorter Online
Special Teams

(05-15-2018 03:28 PM)BuickBronco Wrote:  
(05-14-2018 05:33 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Wonder how his upperclassmen feel about him publicly stating Minnesota isn't going to win big for several more years?

Wonder how many of the WMU recruits he took will stay? Those kids were fillers for a recruiting class PJ couldn't assemble in short order. Imagine several would be getting playing time at WMU this fall.
There are actually 9 decommits from WMU's 2017 class that signed with Minnesota. 1 played last year(Ulmor) and the other 8 were red-shirted. All 9 are still on the team as of today.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2018 08:31 AM by WMUPorter.)
05-16-2018 07:23 AM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin

WMU 16 > Minnesota 16

Fleck likely left more talent behind in Kalamazoo than he inherited in Minneapolis.
05-16-2018 08:20 AM
Aimless1 Offline
Special Teams

(05-16-2018 08:20 AM)GullLake Wrote:  

WMU 16 > Minnesota 16

Fleck likely left more talent behind in Kalamazoo than he inherited in Minneapolis.

Probably unfair to MN. Claeys went 9-4 and had a bowl team in 2016. Winning record in the B1G. More like peejay being hard headed and trying to play his system ... with players who weren't suited for that system. No longer matters. He isn't here. Lester is.

This year WMU may be even or better than MN.
05-16-2018 08:51 AM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-16-2018 08:51 AM)Aimless1 Wrote:  
(05-16-2018 08:20 AM)GullLake Wrote:  

WMU 16 > Minnesota 16

Probably unfair to MN. Claeys went 9-4 and had a bowl team in 2016. Winning record in the B1G. More like peejay being hard headed and trying to play his system ... with players who weren't suited for that system. No longer matters. He isn't here. Lester is.

This year WMU may be even or better than MN.

I wouldn't go so far as to say WMU may even be better than MN this season... Minnesota may struggle in the Big10 again this year... but no way I would lay money with WMU on a head to head against the Gophers...

Both coaching staffs inherited better teams than they churned out their first season. I would chalk both up to new schemes, personalities and coaching philosophies... It has to be difficult for the elder players to shift in one season and the young guys look to the older guys for guidance... when the older guys are trying to catch up to a new staff it takes a toll on the entire team, regardless of culture. I would say this season will give us a better look at what Lester and staff can really do with the players they have... On paper they look to have some real gamers.... but on paper they also have some holes in the middle and front of the defense that could pose problematic... Running game will likely take a step backward so the passing game better improve. Could be another frustrating season filled with excuses again... or we could be pleasantly surprised. Looking forward to the season.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2018 11:25 AM by flushtheherd.)
05-16-2018 11:24 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

Good analysis, flush.

Both programs should be optimistic for improvement in second years.
05-16-2018 01:26 PM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

Agreed. Full coaching staff changes are difficult for players to navigate through in general, let alone when it's the arrival/departure of someone so larger than life.

Quote:Running game will likely take a step backward so the passing game better improve

Is this based on the assumption there will still be injuries to shake off? (which is a fair assumption)

Technically, even with Franklin's absence, Bogan and Bellamy's presence 'should' keep our ground attack a high level threat to opponents.
05-16-2018 01:40 PM
BroncoMinor Offline
Heisman

(05-16-2018 01:40 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Agreed. Full coaching staff changes are difficult for players to navigate through in general, let alone when it's the arrival/departure of someone so larger than life.

Quote:Running game will likely take a step backward so the passing game better improve

Is this based on the assumption there will still be injuries to shake off? (which is a fair assumption)

Technically, even with Franklin's absence, Bogan and Bellamy's presence 'should' keep our ground attack a high level threat to opponents.
That's assuming Bogan & Bellamy can stay healthy for once.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2018 02:17 PM by BroncoMinor.)
05-16-2018 02:15 PM
RunningGame Offline
All American

The reports of me having taken a step backward are greatly exaggerated...
05-16-2018 03:12 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

One of the things that I liked best during Fleck's tenure here was his commitment to the running game on offense (even though he was not-is not a big X and O guy, by his own admission).

That was a weakness of his predecessor.
05-16-2018 03:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.