Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Elijah Minnie Declares for Draft
Bookmark and Share
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
Per Jeff Goodman.

Not hiring an agent. Likely doing what Thompson did last year, which is getting information from pro scouts on what he needs to do to make it in the league.

He has the size and talent, but I'm sure NBA teams will tell him to improve his outside shot and start attacking the basket more. He'll probably want to bulk up too, if he can.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2018 01:20 PM by EagleSam.)
03-27-2018 01:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

RE: Elijah Minnie Declares for Draft
03-27-2018 01:22 PM
JonesGoddard Offline
2nd String

This is awesome. Very excited. Hoping he gets good news back and he improves his game even more.
03-27-2018 01:46 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
The one thing which REALLY concerns me about Minnie is the death of his mother. His mother was young.

When I finished up as an undergrad (at WSU) my mother, a stay at home mom, unexpectedly died. My father became a widower and had my sister. I was 21 and ready to start work (did shortly thereafter).

Minnie's case is much more complicated. I do know that Elijah has a younger brother, a very good bball player, in high school and I think maybe one more at home. I do not know how much financial help, if needed and received, he was given from home.

I think most people realize what can happen to a family if there are say two wage earners and there is a death of one, disability, or even divorce. A financially strong family can be turned upside down.

I remember too many NBA draft stories of a player turning pro because there is no food in the refrig at home and the player can't help while he is a student-athlete.

I just hope Elijah is able to make a free decision based on what his professional goals are in terms of academics and athletics. The fact that he can withdraw from the draft suggests that he believes he can return to school and finish his college career.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2018 03:07 PM by emu steve.)
03-27-2018 02:17 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

This is probably slightly off topic, but it's a complete sham that the NCAA makes these kids completely lose eligibility if they declare after a certain point. If a guy isn't drafted, he should be allowed to come back to school if he still has years left. I can't imagine any other line of work is like this.
03-27-2018 02:33 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-27-2018 01:18 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  Per Jeff Goodman.

Not hiring an agent. Likely doing what Thompson did last year, which is getting information from pro scouts on what he needs to do to make it in the league.

He has the size and talent, but I'm sure NBA teams will tell him to improve his outside shot and start attacking the basket more. He'll probably want to bulk up too, if he can.

Agree. I think he is still a year away. Has shown ability and progression during the season. Now needs to take it to the next level and then to the NBA.
03-27-2018 02:34 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Also needs to maintain focus on defense although he improved as the season went on

Certainly would respect his decision to support his family is overseas a possibility?
03-27-2018 02:47 PM
EMUAARON Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hurons
i always think of Kyle Anderson as his NBA-equivalent. hopefully Kyle's solid season this year will make it easier for Minnie to get a look.
03-27-2018 06:21 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(03-27-2018 02:17 PM)emu steve Wrote:  The one thing which REALLY concerns me about Minnie is the death of his mother. His mother was young.

When I finished up as an undergrad (at WSU) my mother, a stay at home mom, unexpectedly died. My father became a widower and had my sister. I was 21 and ready to start work (did shortly thereafter).

Minnie's case is much more complicated. I do know that Elijah has a younger brother, a very good bball player, in high school and I think maybe one more at home. I do not know how much financial help, if needed and received, he was given from home.

I think most people realize what can happen to a family if there are say two wage earners and there is a death of one, disability, or even divorce. A financially strong family can be turned upside down.

I remember too many NBA draft stories of a player turning pro because there is no food in the refrig at home and the player can't help while he is a student-athlete.

I just hope Elijah is able to make a free decision based on what his professional goals are in terms of academics and athletics. The fact that he can withdraw from the draft suggests that he believes he can return to school and finish his college career.

Steve,

Sorry to hear about the misfortune of your family as well. Hopefully your young sister was able to cope with the tragedy at such a young age....
03-27-2018 08:32 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
He may not make the NBA, but he'll make a ton of money overseas.
03-28-2018 05:51 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

Woah, bombshell news. I know what you are suggesting that the likelihood is thus is just a test of the waters. But you never know, I am a bit nervous.
03-28-2018 08:32 PM
Advertisement

RamyEMU Offline
All American

Did Thompson declare? That is the one o was expecting.
03-28-2018 08:33 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(03-28-2018 08:33 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  Did Thompson declare? That is the one o was expecting.

Not yet, but don’t be surprised if he does. Likely won’t hire an agent right away, though.
03-28-2018 08:45 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Has anyone started a crowdfunding or something similar for his family?
03-29-2018 03:00 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

There is a better chance of a giant asteroid hitting the Convo than of Elijah Minnie getting drafted. If there were 100 NBA teams, he wouldn't get drafted. Not a knock on him, it is just the reality of the situation.
03-30-2018 09:41 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

If Elijah can add 15-20 lbs of muscle and keep improving his shooting off the dribble over defenders, he could position himself to gain some serious attention from the league next year.
03-30-2018 09:56 PM
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(03-30-2018 09:56 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  If Elijah can add 15-20 lbs of muscle and keep improving his shooting off the dribble over defenders, he could position himself to gain some serious attention from the league next year.
And if my aunt had a wiener, she'd be my uncle.
03-31-2018 08:39 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(03-31-2018 08:39 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(03-30-2018 09:56 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  If Elijah can add 15-20 lbs of muscle and keep improving his shooting off the dribble over defenders, he could position himself to gain some serious attention from the league next year.
And if my aunt had a wiener, she'd be my uncle.

Maybe she does???
03-31-2018 08:54 PM
HuronRob Offline
Special Teams

(03-27-2018 02:33 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  This is probably slightly off topic, but it's a complete sham that the NCAA makes these kids completely lose eligibility if they declare after a certain point. If a guy isn't drafted, he should be allowed to come back to school if he still has years left. I can't imagine any other line of work is like this.

Deleted post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2018 08:25 AM by HuronRob.)
03-31-2018 11:07 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-31-2018 11:07 PM)HuronRob Wrote:  
(03-27-2018 02:33 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  This is probably slightly off topic, but it's a complete sham that the NCAA makes these kids completely lose eligibility if they declare after a certain point. If a guy isn't drafted, he should be allowed to come back to school if he still has years left. I can't imagine any other line of work is like this.

The NCAA is a shame regardless. It makes aLOT of money off student athletes and, for the most part, dictates every aspect of their lives. Not a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure I agree that the NCAA makes a lot of money off student athletes.

I believe it is a non-profit organization which regulates, etc. collegiate athletics (with its different divisions, I, II and III).

As such it disperses $ to member organizations, but as discussed in other threads, most NCAA D-I schools are NOT athletically self-supporting.

So MSU might be flush with cash but not its neighbor to the north, CMU.

Sure there is UofM, OSU, PSU, MSU, etc. but they are no more representative of 351 NCAA D-I MBB schools than a bunch of billionaires are representative of Americans.
04-01-2018 05:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.