Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Temple goes back to small meetings on stadium
Philly Brian Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Temple goes back to small meetings on stadium
https://temple-news.com/temple-official-...e-stadium/
Temple realizes that having meetings with hundreds of people shouting is not productive. The talks using small community groups had been going well so naturally Temple is going back to that approach.

I had someone ask me today why Temple just doesn't stay at the Eagles stadium. That stadium will cost Temple $3.7 million this year in rent and game day cost. That's a crazy sum of money just to play 6 or so games. To make matters worse, the concessions and parking revenue goes to the Eagles.

I am an MBA but you don't have to be one to see that this is not a good deal for a program at the level Temple is at.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2018 11:53 AM by Philly Brian.)
03-20-2018 01:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KenneySense Offline
Banned

I Root For: Temple Fans IQ
RE: Temple goes back to small meetings on stadium
(03-20-2018 01:45 AM)Philly Brian Wrote:  I had someone ask me today why Temple just doesn't stay at the Eagles stadium. That stadium will cost Temple $4.7 million this year in rent and game day cost.

[Image: liar-500.jpg]
03-20-2018 06:15 AM
The Grape King Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Temple
Our options are essentially get the stadium built, or drop to CAA football and play at Franklin Field. I'm fine either way.

Someone floated an interesting idea to me of Temple building on the Campbell's Field location in Camden. Still closer to campus than the Linc.
03-20-2018 10:31 AM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

lol
03-20-2018 11:19 AM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli
Man, I really hope you guys can do this.

That said, what would happen if you were to try to expand your soccer stadium to double as both ?
03-20-2018 11:30 AM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
pay the "community".... line some pockets... promise some concession jobs... promise to limit stadium use to a few games a year... name the stadium after a prominent deceased member of the "community"... commit to a listening tour....

Get er done....
03-20-2018 11:34 AM
Advertisement

thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli
(03-20-2018 11:34 AM)No Bull Wrote:  pay the "community".... line some pockets... promise some concession jobs... promise to limit stadium use to a few games a year... name the stadium after a prominent deceased member of the "community"... commit to a listening tour....

Get er done....

Remember when the chief NIMBY who bitched about BHSS/SS turned out to be some busybody yenta who didn't even live nearby ?

Yeah. And we got by pretty fortunate too since there was already a lot of goodwill and support for our stadium.

I can only imagine the hell poor Temple is going through right now...
03-20-2018 11:39 AM
KenneySense Offline
Banned

(03-20-2018 10:31 AM)The Grape King Wrote:  Our options are essentially get the stadium built, or drop to CAA football and play at Franklin Field. I'm fine either way.

Welcome to the dumb club. Of course you are right, why would Temple ever want to take a chance they could actually improve their program enough to host games like this again

03-20-2018 11:52 AM
Philly Brian Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
I checked the $4.7 mil figure and it will actually be $3.7 mil. Temple negotiated the rent down from $3 mil which is what the Eagles originally wanted to $2 mil. My bad. The game day cost per the university will be $1.7 mil. So the corrected total cost is $3.7 million.
We still have a problem. If Temple stays the Eagles still want $2 mil per year plus an upfront stadium improvement fee of $12 million. The Eagles still keep 90% of concessions and parking revenue. Over a 30 year period that parking revenue is going to be huge. I can see the fee being $25 per car this year and going up steadily.
Parking is a cash cow ...
03-20-2018 11:59 AM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
(03-20-2018 11:59 AM)Philly Brian Wrote:  I checked the $4.7 mil figure and it will actually be $3.7 mil. Temple negotiated the rent down from $3 mil which is what the Eagles originally wanted to $2 mil. My bad. The game day cost per the university will be $1.7 mil. So the corrected total cost is $3.7 million.
We still have a problem. If Temple stays the Eagles still want $2 mil per year plus an upfront stadium improvement fee of $12 million. The Eagles still keep 90% of concessions and parking revenue. Over a 30 year period that parking revenue is going to be huge. I can see the fee being $25 per car this year and going up steadily.
Parking is a cash cow ...

Wow. That's an awful deal. I feel for you guys.
03-20-2018 12:01 PM
The Grape King Offline
2nd String

(03-20-2018 11:52 AM)KenneySense Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 10:31 AM)The Grape King Wrote:  Our options are essentially get the stadium built, or drop to CAA football and play at Franklin Field. I'm fine either way.

Welcome to the dumb club. Of course you are right, why would Temple ever want to take a chance they could actually improve their program enough to host games like this again

Yea let's flush millions down the toilet to lease something that provides the university zero equity in the hopes we get a big crowd twice a decade. How could I be so foolish?
03-20-2018 12:05 PM
Advertisement

Philly Brian Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Temple won't drop football if we don't get this stadium.
I could see tix prices going up as well as student fees going up to help cover cost.
I could also see the football program being limited in what it could pay future coaching staffs.
With high cost and limited streams of revenue, the program could become a conference basement dweller.
03-20-2018 12:06 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
What about the MLS stadium?
03-20-2018 12:21 PM
KenneySense Offline
Banned

With no where to go and no conference to play in, Pennsylvania legislators got Temple a 15 million, 15 year lease at the Linc, a brand new state of the art stadium . This IS the TRUTH. There is no one in the galaxy playing in a half billion dollar stadium for 1 million a year plus their own operating costs.

The stadium has been filled for Man U, AC Milan, Real Madrid, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Beyonce, The Turkey National Team, Taylor Swift, Kenny Chesney, Jay Z, US Lacrosse Champiosnhips, Kevin Hart, Metallica and the 2008 Phillies WS Parade as well as 16,000 person waiting list for season tickets to the Eagles.

The only entity which cant routinely put 25,000 in it, let alone sell it out, is the Temple Football fanbase. This will not change when Temple builds a 30K seat stadium to make 18K look better. This plan fools no one and will only saddle Temple with an exorbitant annual debt payment which wont be met by Temple's incredibly cheap fanbase.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2018 12:30 PM by KenneySense.)
03-20-2018 12:27 PM
The Grape King Offline
2nd String

(03-20-2018 12:06 PM)Philly Brian Wrote:  Temple won't drop football if we don't get this stadium.
I could see tix prices going up as well as student fees going up to help cover cost.
I could also see the football program being limited in what it could pay future coaching staffs.
With high cost and limited streams of revenue, the program could become a conference basement dweller.

Charge the students more so their tuition can be lit on fire playing at the Linc? And in this hypothetical, they're also terrible? I'd rather drop football altogether.
03-20-2018 01:01 PM
TU4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
(03-20-2018 12:27 PM)KenneySense Wrote:  With no where to go and no conference to play in, Pennsylvania legislators got Temple a 15 million, 15 year lease at the Linc, a brand new state of the art stadium . This IS the TRUTH. There is no one in the galaxy playing in a half billion dollar stadium for 1 million a year plus their own operating costs.

The stadium has been filled for Man U, AC Milan, Real Madrid, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Beyonce, The Turkey National Team, Taylor Swift, Kenny Chesney, Jay Z, US Lacrosse Champiosnhips, Kevin Hart, Metallica and the 2008 Phillies WS Parade as well as 16,000 person waiting list for season tickets to the Eagles.

The only entity which cant routinely put 25,000 in it, let alone sell it out, is the Temple Football fanbase. This will not change when Temple builds a 30K seat stadium to make 18K look better. This plan fools no one and will only saddle Temple with an exorbitant annual debt payment which wont be met by Temple's incredibly cheap fanbase.

Philly Brian do you have a source for your 3.7 million cost number?

(See how I did that Kenney?)

Kenny has produced an older source that states Temple signed a 1 million a year lease for 15 years. There is some dispute about whether or not that or some significant part of that was paid up front. That figure did not include upkeep though.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2018 01:06 PM by TU4ever.)
03-20-2018 01:06 PM
Advertisement

KenneySense Offline
Banned

Sadly, you are like so many who have no handle on the economics of the OCS. I blame yourselves for not exploring it and the Temple Administration that is so very happy to keep their constituency completely in the dark. Because they have provided no concrete numbers about what it will cost, how it will be financed or how they will pay the debt, Ive used my own connections to determine Temple will have to offer a minimum of a 75 million dollar bond to build this little rat nest.

Paying off a 75 million dollar bond over 30 years > 1 million per annum lease.

Operating costs will incerase significantly becaue Temple is advertising the facility as multi use as opposed to 6 times per year.....more money that Temple people wont pay

These figures are precisely why Theobold needed to extrapolate the 3 million dollar figure plus an upfront payment of 12 million though those numbers have never been confirmed or even explored, debated or negotiated by any political, Eagle Org or Temple entity.

It is a disgrace what a few unscrupulous developers, board members and resume builders are getting away with but when you read the Temple fan rationale for building, like here, it demonstrates how dramatically simple it is to fool dopes.
03-20-2018 01:11 PM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(03-20-2018 12:21 PM)bluesox Wrote:  What about the MLS stadium?

Only seats 18k. And its in the burbs, I believe. Temple fans could tell you more though.
03-20-2018 01:18 PM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
Do the Eagles get all of the Parking revenue to go along with 90% of the concessions?

If so, what do they charge for parking?
03-20-2018 01:19 PM
H.U.S.T.L.E. Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: VT / JMU
I have no dog in this fight, but I enjoy watching the AAC so I keep a finger on the pulse.

Please tell me, if Temple really is paying only 1 million a year, but they keep telling everyone it's higher... why the heck wouldn't the Eagles push back on that? If Temple is lying, I don't see why the Eagles would allow themselves to be looked upon as the bad guy in this situation. It just doesn't pass the smell test.
03-20-2018 01:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.