Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A plea to Scott Wetherbee: Ryan Odom for new coach
Bookmark and Share
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
A plea to Scott Wetherbee: Ryan Odom for new coach
Let me be the first to say this. EMU should be bold and make Ryan Odom an offer he can't refuse!
03-19-2018 07:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: A plea to Scott Wetherbee: Ryan Odom for new coach
(03-19-2018 07:52 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Let me be the first to say this. EMU should be bold and make Ryan Odom an offer he can't refuse!

I'm not sure if Bob is a troll, but I think bot is a better term. Bots aren't human.

I don't know of any human who would fire a coach with a higher Sagarin to hire someone with a lower Sagarin...

A one-game wonder.

EMU's Sagarin is 134. UMBC is 175.

UMBC was the 3rd best team in the 26th ranked conference. EMU was 3rd ranked in say the 14th ranked conference...

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/sa...onference/
03-19-2018 08:24 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

Steve, you are a joke. UMBC beat the #1 team in the NATION. It was no fluke, they dominated them! Let that sink in. THE GAME WAS NOT CLOSE. They lost by 7 in round two. These are things Rob Murphy could never even dream of doing. Did you watch UMBC play? Have you been watching EMU play the last several years? It is almost a different sport that they are playing.

Ryan Odom would be a godsend to the EMU basketball program. He is in great demand so hiring him would take a lot of luck, but Wetherbee has to try, long shot or not.
03-19-2018 08:35 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

The reality is Rob Murphy will be EMU's coach next season - I asked Wetherbe last week.

I believe Ryan Odom has a very large upside. Beating the overall number 1 seed is AMAZING. It would be nice if a MAC team could snatch him up for about $450-$500 k per year.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 08:43 AM by Luckeyone.)
03-19-2018 08:39 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-19-2018 08:35 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Steve, you are a joke. UMBC beat the #1 team in the NATION. It was no fluke, they dominated them! Let that sink in. THE GAME WAS NOT CLOSE. They lost by 7 in round two. These are things Rob Murphy could never even dream of doing. Did you watch UMBC play? Have you been watching EMU play the last several years? It is almost a different sport that they are playing.

Ryan Odom would be a godsend to the EMU basketball program. He is in great demand so hiring him would take a lot of luck, but Wetherbee has to try, long shot or not.

ONE anything is a fluke, like a lightning strike, bridges which collapse (Miami, FL), no hitters in MLB (they are statistical rarities given the number of games played each season) etc.

Everyone who is well grounded in research knows N=1 (sample size of 1) is only good for generating hypothesis and not conclusively proving anything.

That said, I wonder if he'd take a pay cut to come to EMU? 03-lmfao (actually his salary and Murphy's are similar, but not for long).
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 08:59 AM by emu steve.)
03-19-2018 08:56 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-19-2018 08:39 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  The reality is Rob Murphy will be EMU's coach next season - I asked Wetherbe last week.

I believe Ryan Odom has a very large upside. Beating the overall number 1 seed is AMAZING. It would be nice if a MAC team could snatch him up for about $450-$500 k per year.

So I get this right.

We are going to pay Murphy say $200K+ buyout + Odom $500 next year? For a school which needs to beg for money for the CIT.

I want to drink some of what Bob is drinking because it isn't water, Gatorade, milk, coffee, etc.

Someone told me that EMU athletics had to take a 5% budget cut this academic year. Don't know if it was here or if it was Bill Fennel.

No one is dreaming in the Convo. As others have pointed out, there is a lot of angst because there is a significant EMU budget shortfall this academic year (think it is 5M). Faculty and staff are being let go.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 09:05 AM by emu steve.)
03-19-2018 09:01 AM
Advertisement

dansplaining Online
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
Ryan Odom is a nice story and seemingly a good coach with exactly zero ties to the midwest. We shouldn't fire Murphy. And when we do move on to another coach he should be someone with Midwestern coaching experience. But hey this was a real hot take to start a Monday - so theres that.
03-19-2018 09:11 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Actually I believe we have Murphy as coach for next year and the year after Murphy earned the extension maybe Central should look at Odom
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 09:17 AM by emu79.)
03-19-2018 09:16 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

EMU Steve was in Santa Barbara, CA the beginning on last week.

This is where I did NOT stay. Can easily run up to say $750 / night. I don't have my head up my a*s. I stayed at a place for 1/3 the cost.

In the olden days, lack of reality testing (connection to reality) got someone sent for a psych evaluation.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  SantaBarbara lodging.jpg (Size: 154.84 KB / Downloads: 5)
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 09:23 AM by emu steve.)
03-19-2018 09:22 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

UMBC also lost to Albany 83-39 and Vermont 81-53 this season.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 09:35 AM by TheWoodenNickle.)
03-19-2018 09:34 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-19-2018 09:11 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  Ryan Odom is a nice story and seemingly a good coach with exactly zero ties to the midwest. We shouldn't fire Murphy. And when we do move on to another coach he should be someone with Midwestern coaching experience. But hey this was a real hot take to start a Monday - so theres that.

All I can say is this: IF some bigger schools want Odom, they get Odam and we can NOT have him.

If he is a budding superstar coach, in the lineage of his father, than schools with more resources than EMU will get him.

All of that said, a Mr. Oats in Buffalo beat Arizona. Will the high major ADs go after him?? If so, what is the price.
03-19-2018 09:37 AM
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I gotta imagine that the Pitt or UConn vacancies will be filled by one of Nate Oats and Dan Hurley (or some combination of both). Both are high major "basketball schools" that will have no problem paying their buyouts.
03-19-2018 10:02 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-19-2018 09:34 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  UMBC also lost to Albany 83-39 and Vermont 81-53 this season.

Yep. Their coach is a one-game wonder.

BTW, I was at Comerica the game that the Tigers beat the Yankees 16 - 0.

One game proves almost nothing.
03-19-2018 10:54 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I would respect Bob more if he has done some research and stated that UMBC advanced to the CIT semis last year and now were a NCAA Cinderella.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Odom
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 11:01 AM by emu steve.)
03-19-2018 10:59 AM
EagleTough Offline
All American

(03-19-2018 08:24 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 07:52 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Let me be the first to say this. EMU should be bold and make Ryan Odom an offer he can't refuse!

I'm not sure if Bob is a troll, but I think bot is a better term. Bots aren't human.

I don't know of any human who would fire a coach with a higher Sagarin to hire someone with a lower Sagarin...

A one-game wonder.

EMU's Sagarin is 134. UMBC is 175.

UMBC was the 3rd best team in the 26th ranked conference. EMU was 3rd ranked in say the 14th ranked conference...

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/sa...onference/

How about TrollBot! 03-lmfao

Nah, that wouldn't work because Bots are actually smart. Troll it is.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 11:20 AM by EagleTough.)
03-19-2018 11:16 AM
ljmhurons Offline
1st String

I Root For: emu
The greatest moments in sports are when the unexpected happens. Buster Douglas beats Mike Tyson. Michael Spinks beats Muhammad Ali. Appalachian State beats Michigan. CMU beats Oklahoma State. EMU beats Duke. UMBC beats Virginia. Hasley Crawford wins an Olympic gold medal.
USA Olympic hockey beats Russia. They are David slays Goliath events.

Do not minimize the accomplishments. Unlike a lottery, these are not random events. They are not like pulling a name out of a hat. They are live competitions. The outcome is determined by the performance of the competitors.
03-19-2018 11:24 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

EMU and UMBC don't belong in the same sentence.

EMU was a hoops power when they beat Duke. UMBC'S win was a classic fluke.

EMU was a 9 seed which equals to top 36 nationally. UMBC had a Sagarins around 175.

Top 40 teams beat top teams occasionally. BTW, that Duke team wasn't a top 25 team.
03-19-2018 11:37 AM
JonesGoddard Offline
2nd String

Now, can we root for Nate Oats to get hired somewhere?
03-19-2018 12:01 PM
EagleTough Offline
All American

Have to agree with Steve here. Sure the UMBC win was a great accomplishment, but it was a 1 game outlier that had little to do with the coach. It was their night, nothing more, nothing less. And like someone else pointed out, UMBC lost to Albany 83-39 and Vermont 81-53 this season.

The 3 pointer is the great equalizer. Against the #1 defense in the country (opponent PPG 54), UMBC scores 74 points, shoots 54% overall, and 12/24 from 3 point range!

They following game against K.State, (the 46th best defense in the country, giving up 66.9 PPG), UMBC loses 50-43. Yeah, they manage just 43 points against a team giving up 67 per game. The outlier offense against Virginia goes completely the other way as they shoot 30% overall, and 6-22 from 3 point range.

It was an awesome fluke, congrats to them. The coach seems to be about average at best.
03-19-2018 12:34 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-19-2018 12:34 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  Have to agree with Steve here. Sure the UMBC win was a great accomplishment, but it was a 1 game outlier that had little to do with the coach. It was their night, nothing more, nothing less. And like someone else pointed out, UMBC lost to Albany 83-39 and Vermont 81-53 this season.

The 3 pointer is the great equalizer. Against the #1 defense in the country (opponent PPG 54), UMBC scores 74 points, shoots 54% overall, and 12/24 from 3 point range!

They following game against K.State, (the 46th best defense in the country, giving up 66.9 PPG), UMBC loses 50-43. Yeah, they manage just 43 points against a team giving up 67 per game. The outlier offense against Virginia goes completely the other way as they shoot 30% overall, and 6-22 from 3 point range.

It was an awesome fluke, congrats to them. The coach seems to be about average at best.

Yes, E'Tough, you are preaching to the choir.

I have maintained for ages that when David takes say 25 - 30 treys and hits 50%, a lot of Goliaths will feel like they got kicked in the family jewels.

P.S. Didn't folks watch what UB did to 'Zone? They made 15 of 30 treys, while 'Zona was 2 for 18.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...=401025818

Whenever I see a team do that (say 15 of 30 behind the arc) against EMU, I simply say: "It was their day. Move on."
03-19-2018 12:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.