Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Parrish's latest column. Interesting read.
Bookmark and Share
HornLakeTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Parrish's latest column. Interesting read.
03-14-2018 04:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
RE: Parrish's latest column. Interesting read.
With everything going on, I actually listened to GP yesterday at 4:00 and with Easterwood. And today when the story was breaking he was on with Jason and John.

And GP repeats and repeats and repeats the same crap over and over. He told the "Hug you back" story yesterday. He told it again on Jason and John. And now he has written about the "Hug you back" in the article. He also told the Penny immediately solve 2 of the 3 problems both times. And the Lawson thing both times, and in the article.

Get that some of you guys like him, but about 4 times a year is enough for me.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018 04:23 PM by Tigx.)
03-14-2018 04:22 PM
Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
His best work ever.
03-14-2018 04:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HornLakeTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-14-2018 04:22 PM)Tigx Wrote:  With everything going on, I actually listened to GP yesterday at 4:00 and with Easterwood. And today when the story was breaking he was on with Jason and John.

And GP repeats and repeats and repeats the same crap over and over. He told the "Hug you back" story yesterday. He told it again on Jason and John. And now he has written about the "Hug you back" in the article. He also told the Penny immediately solve 2 of the 3 problems both times. And the Lawson thing both times, and in the article.

Well, to be fair...he told those stories on local radio. This is for his CBS Sports readership, which ranges a bit wider than the general Memphis area.
03-14-2018 04:26 PM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

I can't see how Parrish even has a job. He's a self-promoting D-bag who routinely throws the university under the bus.

When Cal was here, Parrish ran him down all the time. Parrish doesn't like any Memphis basketball coaches. Hated Pastner. Hated Tubby. Mark my words, he will hate Penny too.
03-14-2018 04:28 PM
cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Hate to nit pick, but... does no one ever proof read any more?

"Calipari felt a responsibly to make sure every a..."
03-14-2018 04:28 PM
Advertisement

HornLakeTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-14-2018 04:28 PM)cmt Wrote:  Hate to nit pick, but... does no one ever proof read any more?

I saw that too and cringed. I get he probably wrote it in a hurry, but no one else caught that before publishing it?
03-14-2018 04:30 PM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-14-2018 04:26 PM)HornLakeTiger Wrote:  
(03-14-2018 04:22 PM)Tigx Wrote:  With everything going on, I actually listened to GP yesterday at 4:00 and with Easterwood. And today when the story was breaking he was on with Jason and John.

Well, to be fair...he told those stories on local radio. This is for his CBS Sports readership, which ranges a bit wider than the general Memphis area.

I understand. But I swear I will listen to GP for the first time in months, and he's telling some Cal story that we all heard years ago. Have always said that GP needs a strong co-host. To reign him in when he repeats himself or goes on those 5 minute tangents.
03-14-2018 04:32 PM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-14-2018 04:30 PM)HornLakeTiger Wrote:  
(03-14-2018 04:28 PM)cmt Wrote:  Hate to nit pick, but... does no one ever proof read any more?

I saw that too and cringed. I get he probably wrote it in a hurry, but no one else caught that before publishing it?

See this all the time on the online stories. Just not much editorial oversight anymore.
03-14-2018 04:33 PM
fsquid Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(03-14-2018 04:28 PM)TOGC Wrote:  I can't see how Parrish even has a job. He's a self-promoting D-bag who routinely throws the university under the bus.

When Cal was here, Parrish ran him down all the time. Parrish doesn't like any Memphis basketball coaches. Hated Pastner. Hated Tubby. Mark my words, he will hate Penny too.

so what parts of the column do you disagree with?
03-14-2018 04:33 PM
HornLakeTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-14-2018 04:32 PM)Tigx Wrote:  

I understand. But I swear I will listen to GP for the first time in months, and he's telling some Cal story that we all heard years ago. Have always said that GP needs a strong co-host. To reign him in when he repeats himself or goes on those 5 minute tangents.

I think that's the role Brad Carson tries to play. Lol
03-14-2018 04:34 PM
Advertisement

Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-14-2018 04:34 PM)HornLakeTiger Wrote:  
(03-14-2018 04:32 PM)Tigx Wrote:  

I think that's the role Brad Carson tries to play. Lol

I know, right? Know that you're joking, but I did say "strong co-host".
03-14-2018 04:35 PM
memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
"Tubby Smith and his staff are no longer employed because, for whatever reason, they never understood that and adjusted properly. They never hugged back. They never got involved. Calipari tried to tell them. But they didn't listen. Others tried to tell them. But they didn't listen. The bottom line is that they just never understood what running the Memphis Basketball program requires.

Here's hoping Penny Hardaway does."

I think Penny knows.
03-14-2018 04:39 PM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(03-14-2018 04:25 PM)Hernando Hills Tiger Wrote:  His best work ever.

Haven’t read column but I doubt it can compare with the stillborn death of his son column.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018 04:41 PM by Latilleon.)
03-14-2018 04:41 PM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

that was simply outstanding....and if "outsiders" who want a concrete POV, please read that

GP and GC are very good at what they do - make no mistake about that
03-14-2018 04:43 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Hug back and win bigger.

Pastner hugged back. And won. But when that winning didn't reach higher levels, he was very quickly mocked and bashed.

So Parrish is only partially correct here.

I know there are more to all the stories but you get the point. Penny does everything right in terms of hugging yet fails to get to the sweet 16 and the hugging will grow old to a large segment pretty quickly.
03-14-2018 04:48 PM
Advertisement

HornLakeTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-14-2018 04:48 PM)Mimi Wrote:  Hug back and win bigger.

Pastner hugged back. And won. But when that winning didn't reach higher levels, he was very quickly mocked and bashed.

I know there are more to all the stories but you get the point. Penny does everything right in terms of hugging yet fails to get to the sweet 16 and the hugging will grow old to a large segment pretty quickly.

I think the "hug back" means you get a longer leash if you struggle at first. The hugging back is what bought Cal those first 4-5 years. Tubby showed no interest in that portion of the job, and he got canned after 2 years.
03-14-2018 04:58 PM
HornLakeTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

That's how I read it anyway. Hell, maybe I'm wrong.
03-14-2018 04:59 PM
msu65 Offline
Blue To The Core

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(03-14-2018 04:48 PM)Mimi Wrote:  Hug back and win bigger.

Some parts of what you say I agree with. Pastner hugged back but, for whatever reason, he never commanded the respect of the players. You need to command respect through consistent actions as well as acting as an ambassador for the University. I am trying to think of any job where that is not true of someone who wishes to lead others.
03-14-2018 05:08 PM
Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
(03-14-2018 04:41 PM)Latilleon Wrote:  

Haven’t read column but I doubt it can compare with the stillborn death of his son column.

I am not a Gary fan. In fact I really don't like him so I did not read that column.
03-14-2018 05:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.