Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Difficulty of non-P5 schools making it to the final four
Bookmark and Share
cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Difficulty of non-P5 schools making it to the final four
To hear the hype, even from our own coach, it is terribly hard to get to the final four unless you are in a P5 conference.

Nothing could be further from the truth

Since 2000, 31 schools have been represented in the final four.
10 of those from non P5 schools, ourselves included. Or, 32%

There have been 9 schools to appear at least 3 times in the last 18 years, 2 of those (at the time) were not P5 schools (Louisville now is)

If you subtract the perennial favorites (those 9) that leaves 22 schools, 8 of which are nonP5, Or, 36%.
All inclusive, if you are P5 and not a perennial favorite, your chances are 29%.

Therefore, a nonP5 school has a better chance than a P5 school that is not one of the Duke's, Kentucky's or Kansas' of the world. Michigan State was the winner with 5 appearances if you were wondering.

Which means to me that in a P5 league like the ACC, Wake Forest having to fight through Louisville, North Carolina and Duke, and Virginia, etc makes it extremely difficult for you to get a high seed, play at home (like Duke and UNC always do), and get to the final four. A Gonzaga type school or even a Memphis, if they have assembled the team, has a much easier road to a high seed and a final four.

In conclusion, shut up about the P5 thing in college basketball, it makes no sense.
03-11-2018 02:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RCM1029 Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Difficulty of non-P5 schools making it to the final four
[Image: 128276-222239-MindBlownjpg-620x.jpg]
03-11-2018 02:38 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2018 02:28 PM)cmt Wrote:  To hear the hype, even from our own coach, it is terribly hard to get to the final four unless you are in a P5 conference.

There have been 9 schools to appear at least 3 times in the last 18 years, 2 of those (at the time) were not P5 schools (Louisville now is)

If you subtract the perennial favorites (those 9) that leaves 22 schools, 8 of which are nonP5, Or, 36%.
All inclusive, if you are P5 and not a perennial favorite, your chances are 29%.

Therefore, a nonP5 school has a better chance than a P5 school that is not one of the Duke's, Kentucky's or Kansas' of the world. Michigan State was the winner with 5 appearances if you were wondering.

Which means to me that in a P5 league like the ACC, Wake Forest having to fight through Louisville, North Carolina and Duke, and Virginia, etc makes it extremely difficult for you to get a high seed, play at home (like Duke and UNC always do), and get to the final four. A Gonzaga type school or even a Memphis, if they have assembled the team, has a much easier road to a high seed and a final four.

In conclusion, shut up about the P5 thing in college basketball, it makes no sense.

have you ever coached a Div1 team?

If you did you would know that winning is hard
Memphis fans have too high expectations
Tubby is AHEAD of schedule
Memphis cannot recruit good players

this is the bull**** that has been fed this fanbase for 7 or 8 years...

What I know is what Henry Ford said:

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't – you're right,”
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2018 02:46 PM by BinghamptonNed.)
03-11-2018 02:45 PM
TigerSeth Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
Villanova and Xavier both 1 seeds...get out of here with that mess.
03-11-2018 04:02 PM
bariggins98 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tigers
2017- Gonzaga runner up
2016- Villanova champ
2015- none

2014- UConn National champ
2013-Louisville National champ
2012 UConn and Louisville Final Four
2011- UConn (champ)VCU, Butler (runner up)
2010-Butler runner up
2009- UConn Villanova
2008- Memphis
2007- Georgetown
2006- George Mason

Please, Tubby, tell us again how it’s impossible for a non Power5 school to make the Final Four or win a championship. You’d think a “HOF” coach would be more knowledgeable about the sport that is is supposedly elite level.
03-11-2018 06:26 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
(03-11-2018 02:28 PM)cmt Wrote:  To hear the hype, even from our own coach, it is terribly hard to get to the final four unless you are in a P5 conference.

Numbers are right.

But...you do not factor in that there are a lot more non P5 schools. Just using your numbers, 30% of the schools in the Final Four are non P5 of late.

But, not 30% of all the spots, as other than Butker no school has been more than once in your time frame, so spots are less than 30... and, more importantly, there are 64 P5 schools which there are something close to 300 non. So about 20% of the schools get about 80% of the spots.
03-11-2018 06:49 PM
Advertisement

Mimi Offline
Who farted??

The Big East should count in basketball, and really now, so should the AAC. While we are down a short is UConn, the conference has Cincinnati, UConn, Wichita State, Memphis and Temple. Pretty good stuff.
03-11-2018 06:51 PM
cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-11-2018 06:49 PM)Mimi Wrote:  

Numbers are right.

But...you do not factor in that there are a lot more non P5 schools. Just using your numbers, 30% of the schools in the Final Four are non P5 of late.

But, not 30% of all the spots, as other than Butker no school has been more than once in your time frame, so spots are less than 30... and, more importantly, there are 64 P5 schools which there are something close to 300 non. So about 20% of the schools get about 80% of the spots.

Well, you can play with the numbers any way you want. Fully one third of the teams in the final four are from nonP5 schools. Plus, the blue bloods take up a lot of room whichever side o the railroad tracks you're on.

My point being it is easier for Gonzaga or Memphis or Xavier to get a good seed and advance to the final four than 80% of the P5 schools given equal talent.

The final four is a tough nut to crack and top nonP5 schools can there easier than say, Mississippi or Wake Forest simply because of conference schedule and therefore better records and higher seeding. I am not trying to say it is easier for Alabama A&M than Mississippi State, but it is easier for Wichita State than Kansas State.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2018 07:04 PM by cmt.)
03-11-2018 07:03 PM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators
(03-11-2018 06:26 PM)bariggins98 Wrote:  2017- Gonzaga runner up
2016- Villanova champ
2015- none

2010-Butler runner up
2009- UConn Villanova
2008- Memphis
2007- Georgetown
2006- George Mason

Please, Tubby, tell us again how it’s impossible for a non Power5 school to make the Final Four or win a championship. You’d think a “HOF” coach would be more knowledgeable about the sport that is is supposedly elite level.

Enough said.
03-11-2018 07:26 PM
DoomHaynesJr Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Tigers
(03-11-2018 07:03 PM)cmt Wrote:  

Numbers are right.

Well, you can play with the numbers any way you want. Fully one third of the teams in the final four are from nonP5 schools. Plus, the blue bloods take up a lot of room whichever side o the railroad tracks you're on.

My point being it is easier for Gonzaga or Memphis or Xavier to get a good seed and advance to the final four than 80% of the P5 schools given equal talent.

The final four is a tough nut to crack and top nonP5 schools can there easier than say, Mississippi or Wake Forest simply because of conference schedule and therefore better records and higher seeding. I am not trying to say it is easier for Alabama A&M than Mississippi State, but it is easier for Wichita State than Kansas State.

So what you're saying is that numbers are good when they agree with your point, but numbers are bad when they don't agree with your point. Wow. Brilliant. Talking out the side of your neck.
03-11-2018 07:36 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

Right.

In reality, you are either a major basketball school or you are not.

There are more major basketball schools in the P5 conferences but there are certainly some not.

Current stretch notwithstanding, Memphis is clearly a major basketball program. As is Gonzaga and a handful of others.

So the conclusion is that better basketball schools have a greater chance.

Now THAT is deep.
03-11-2018 07:55 PM
Advertisement

midtowncowboy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(03-11-2018 04:02 PM)TigerSeth Wrote:  Villanova and Xavier both 1 seeds...get out of here with that mess.

That is a joke. Corrupt to the core. MTSU watching. Corrupt to the core.
03-11-2018 07:57 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

2016- Villanova champ
2015- none

2010-Butler runner up
2009- UConn Villanova
2008- Memphis
2007- Georgetown
2006- George Mason

Do not forget that in basketball there is a P6. As the Big East is still considered a part of the big 6
03-11-2018 10:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

(03-11-2018 07:57 PM)midtowncowboy Wrote:  
(03-11-2018 04:02 PM)TigerSeth Wrote:  Villanova and Xavier both 1 seeds...get out of here with that mess.

That is a joke. Corrupt to the core. MTSU watching. Corrupt to the core.

Have always said that all teams should be assigned a random ID number and the committee only gets to look at the stats without knowing the name of the school.

Take conference tournament winners out of the mix and select all the at large based on anonymous stats.
03-11-2018 10:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-11-2018 07:36 PM)DoomHaynesJr Wrote:  

Numbers are right.

So what you're saying is that numbers are good when they agree with your point, but numbers are bad when they don't agree with your point. Wow. Brilliant. Talking out the side of your neck.

No, what I'm saying is I was using the numbers for one point and mimi was using them for another, which I agree with. There are over 300 schools eligible for the NCAA tournament. I was only considering the teams which made it to the final four and it shows that what Tubby has said over and over about how hard it is, is just not true according to the facts.

I also counted Louisville, pre ACC and Connecticut as nonP5.

Sounds like all your saying, and I quote,"Wow. Brilliant. Talking out the side of your neck." pretty petty and lame and uncalled for, but show your a$$ if thats what you like to do. What do comments like yours accomplish?
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2018 08:09 AM by cmt.)
03-12-2018 08:08 AM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
2016- Villanova champ
2015- none

2013-Louisville National champ, Wichita State (Final Four)
2010-Butler runner up
2009- UConn Villanova
2008- Memphis
2007- Georgetown
2006- George Mason

Added one
03-12-2018 09:37 AM
Advertisement

HornLakeTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

Any D1 school has a legitimate shot at a national championship in every NCAA sport except football. Coastal Carolina won a NC in baseball. A previous poster pointed out the recent Final Four appearances of "non P5" schools. It can be done.
03-12-2018 09:42 AM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
(03-12-2018 09:42 AM)HornLakeTiger Wrote:  Any D1 school has a legitimate shot at a national championship in every NCAA sport except football. Coastal Carolina won a NC in baseball. A previous poster pointed out the recent Final Four appearances of "non P5" schools. It can be done.

Just more excuses from the Tubbster. In two years he has basically refused to accept any responsibility except for wins, those are all him and his game plans...
03-12-2018 10:32 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Numbers are right.

You use the facts to show the number of non-P5 schools making the F4. Good work. But then, you make a jump and assume it proves that non-P5's can get good seeds easier. Your numbers don't show anything about seeds. In fact, analysis I've read has always shown the non-P5's have a statistical disadvantage in number of teams invited and the seeding. You would need to layer in seeding and the number of total teams invited and left out to get to the results you claim.
03-13-2018 04:07 PM
DoomHaynesJr Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Tigers
(03-12-2018 08:08 AM)cmt Wrote:  
(03-11-2018 07:36 PM)DoomHaynesJr Wrote:  

Numbers are right.

No, what I'm saying is I was using the numbers for one point and mimi was using them for another, which I agree with. There are over 300 schools eligible for the NCAA tournament. I was only considering the teams which made it to the final four and it shows that what Tubby has said over and over about how hard it is, is just not true according to the facts.

I also counted Louisville, pre ACC and Connecticut as nonP5.

Sounds like all your saying, and I quote,"Wow. Brilliant. Talking out the side of your neck." pretty petty and lame and uncalled for, but show your a$$ if thats what you like to do. What do comments like yours accomplish?

They accomplish nothing, really. But it was fun pointing out the fault in your logic. Please excuse my childish name calling - it wasn't necessary. Your insistence that non P6 teams have an easier path to the final four is sufficiently ludicrous. A statement like that stands on its own wrongheadedness, needing no assistance from a simpleton heckler like myself. Just keep talking. That'll be plenty.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2018 06:51 PM by DoomHaynesJr.)
03-13-2018 06:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.