Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FBI Probe/SEC and NCAA Tournament
Bookmark and Share
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
FBI Probe/SEC and NCAA Tournament
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basket...in-report/

It is probably too early to really understand the implications. However, Alabama, LSU, and KY were all named in this report. [Note: I mention these three because they were named; others are probably guilty too; in this instance, I am not picking on rivals; as these three are all potential tournament teams/more "credits" for the SEC.] If the NCAA wants to act quickly, or if the schools themselves want to ameliorate the damage, voluntary postseason bans or actual postseasons bans might be coming.

I assume if three teams are "banned" then the bracket would look very different:

1 v. 8/9
4 vs. 5

2 vs. 7/10
3 vs. 6/11

This would also mean that the SEC yet again would only get 3-5 teams in. On the other hand if this happens to alot of schools, schools that were normally in the NIT range get bumped up.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2018 02:27 PM by Soobahk40050.)
02-23-2018 02:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: FBI Probe/SEC and NCAA Tournament
(02-23-2018 02:25 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-basket...in-report/

It is probably too early to really understand the implications. However, Alabama, LSU, and KY were all named in this report. [Note: I mention these three because they were named; others are probably guilty too; in this instance, I am not picking on rivals; as these three are all potential tournament teams/more "credits" for the SEC.] If the NCAA wants to act quickly, or if the schools themselves want to ameliorate the damage, voluntary postseason bans or actual postseasons bans might be coming.

I assume if three teams are "banned" then the bracket would look very different:

1 v. 8/9
4 vs. 5

2 vs. 7/11
3 vs. 6/10

This would also mean that the SEC yet again would only get 3-5 teams in. On the other hand if this happens to alot of schools, schools that were normally in the NIT range get bumped up.

Given the time frame I seriously doubt that anyone is bumped from this year's tourney field. The FEDS won't do that until their case is proven. Right now they only have evidence against.

But before next year it could start looking real ugly.
02-23-2018 02:37 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(02-23-2018 02:37 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-23-2018 02:25 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-basket...in-report/

1 v. 8/9
4 vs. 5

2 vs. 7/11
3 vs. 6/10

Given the time frame I seriously doubt that anyone is bumped from this year's tourney field. The FEDS won't do that until their case is proven. Right now they only have evidence against.

But before next year it could start looking real ugly.

You are probably right, but I still wonder about self-imposed penalties, especially because some players are bound to retroactively be declared ineligible. On the other hand, "vacating titles" is really only symbolic, and most schools I guess would take a championship even if they know they may have to vacate it.
02-23-2018 02:42 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
As far as NCAA penalties are concerned, my bet is that this is going nowhere.

As many schools are involved, the NCAA would have to essentially hire an outside firm to handle the investigation and subsequent penalties. There would be too many conflicts of interest otherwise and I'm not sure anyone really wants to act anyway.

Point being, the facade is coming down.

As far as legal ramifications, I don't know what will happen, but there are some who think the FBI's case thus far is kind of weak. I guess we'll see on that front.
02-23-2018 02:49 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(02-23-2018 02:49 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  As far as NCAA penalties are concerned, my bet is that this is going nowhere.

As many schools are involved, the NCAA would have to essentially hire an outside firm to handle the investigation and subsequent penalties. There would be too many conflicts of interest otherwise and I'm not sure anyone really wants to act anyway.

As far as legal ramifications, I don't know what will happen, but there are some who think the FBI's case thus far is kind of weak. I guess we'll see on that front.

The FBI is going after off the book payments for endorsements. They could take the tax avoidance implications for both the shoe companies and/or the players involved. Indirectly, but pertinently, the target is the amateur status of college athletics.

What I see coming out of this is the involvement of the government for setting standards on what is acceptable financial assistance for NCAA athletes. If the FEDS make the rules then they will have teeth and the NCAA will be obsolete. So in part it may behoove the schools to work toward a much more practical understanding of amateurism and to let the FEDS enforce it under the TAX law, and to let the NCAA go away so we get to keep more of that 70 million a year they steal from college basketball.
02-23-2018 03:02 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(02-23-2018 03:02 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-23-2018 02:49 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  As far as NCAA penalties are concerned, my bet is that this is going nowhere.

The FBI is going after off the book payments for endorsements. They could take the tax avoidance implications for both the shoe companies and/or the players involved. Indirectly, but pertinently, the target is the amateur status of college athletics.

What I see coming out of this is the involvement of the government for setting standards on what is acceptable financial assistance for NCAA athletes. If the FEDS make the rules then they will have teeth and the NCAA will be obsolete. So in part it may behoove the schools to work toward a much more practical understanding of amateurism and to let the FEDS enforce it under the TAX law, and to let the NCAA go away so we get to keep more of that 70 million a year they steal from college basketball.

I think that would be better.

The NCAA has proven itself to be selective in the best of times and it's certainly a waste of money.

I suppose some division of the Dept of Education would have to take its place, but if it means that academicians have less influence over these matters then maybe that would be better. I don't particularly trust the everyday bureaucrat, but at least they would be more impartial and less interested in ancillary matters.
02-23-2018 03:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.