Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big 12 Conf. Future Smart move
Bookmark and Share
MrCincy Offline
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati
Big 12 Conf. Future Smart move
I assume the U. Texas is going to join the Pac 12 or go Independent. if that happens the Big 12 should add 7 schools.

West Div.: Okla. State, Oklahoma, Baylor, Texas tech, TCU, Houston, USF, UCF.

East Div.: W. Virginia, UConn, Temple, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Cincinnati, Memphis.

On the other hand, who knows what is going to happen in 2024??

02-23-2018 01:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
RE: Big 12 Conf. Future Smart move
Oklahoma will likely be the first to jump ship.

02-23-2018 01:51 PM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(02-23-2018 01:22 PM)MrCincy Wrote:  I assume the U. Texas is going to join the Pac 12 or go Independent. if that happens the Big 12 should add 7 schools.

East Div.: W. Virginia, UConn, Temple, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Cincinnati, Memphis.

This should go on the conference realignment board but since it's Friday I'll take the bait and respond.

Nothing big like this will happen before 2024 when the Big12 tier one tv contract is up. ESPN is required to match tier one money for every school they add and they'll never add that kind of money for a bunch of schools they value way less right now. And without Texas in the league, ESPN will value the conference as a whole alot less. Plus, they already have these other schools locked up for less money in the AAC contract so why would they pay more.

If in 2024 Texas does leave then this scenario is possible but the conference's new contract will be significantly reduced. And more than likely, if Texas leaves you'll see Oklahoma and potentially other schools look for greener pasture.

This scenario is UC's most likely hope to improve their conference situation. But the new conference will more than likely look like this:
Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, Houston, USF, UCF, W. Virginia, UConn, Temple, Iowa State, Kansas State, Cincinnati, Memphis.

02-23-2018 01:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
(02-23-2018 01:56 PM)nachoman91 Wrote:  
(02-23-2018 01:22 PM)MrCincy Wrote:  I assume the U. Texas is going to join the Pac 12 or go Independent. if that happens the Big 12 should add 7 schools.

This should go on the conference realignment board but since it's Friday I'll take the bait and respond.

Nothing big like this will happen before 2024 when the Big12 tier one tv contract is up. ESPN is required to match tier one money for every school they add and they'll never add that kind of money for a bunch of schools they value way less right now. And without Texas in the league, ESPN will value the conference as a whole alot less. Plus, they already have these other schools locked up for less money in the AAC contract so why would they pay more.

If in 2024 Texas does leave then this scenario is possible but the conference's new contract will be significantly reduced. And more than likely, if Texas leaves you'll see Oklahoma and potentially other schools look for greener pasture.

This scenario is UC's most likely hope to improve their conference situation. But the new conference will more than likely look like this:
Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, Houston, USF, UCF, W. Virginia, UConn, Temple, Iowa State, Kansas State, Cincinnati, Memphis.

The key is whether a "new" B12 sans Texas and Oklahoma will keep its automatic NY6 bowl bid, or have it stripped away and given to another conference, as happened to the old BE. In other words, will CFB be left with a P4 vs. G6 arrangement? If the conference has a bid, that will drive viewers to its games, increasing the value of the TV rights. If not, then it will be just another G6 conference, and things will get ugly fast.

02-23-2018 02:40 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS

Yes, TX, OK, OKS and KS will depart.

Your count has 13 so add one or remove one.

02-23-2018 02:49 PM
Topkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheCats
(02-23-2018 02:49 PM)doss2 Wrote:  

Yes, TX, OK, OKS and KS will depart.

Your count has 13 so add one or remove one.

I always enjoy realignment threads, even if they never happen.

I wouldn't think the midwest schools would be thrilled going as far east as Temple and UConn. So, I would sub those two out and move in BYU and Colo St.

That still leaves you with 13 so maybe add one more with some TV clout (everything is relative to what is left to choose from)... Boise St.

Strung out geographically, but creative scheduling could work in the non-football sports.

02-23-2018 03:38 PM
Advertisement

djtothemoney Offline
2nd String

Screw the Big 12. Once the big schools in the Big 12 leave their package will be the same as the American.

02-23-2018 04:20 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
What makes KU so sexy to the B10 and other conferences. Their football program is one of the worst in all of FBS including the G5. I thought basketball was a non factor?

02-23-2018 04:30 PM
RuckleSt Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(02-23-2018 04:30 PM)jarr Wrote:  What makes KU so sexy to the B10 and other conferences. Their football program is one of the worst in all of FBS including the G5. I thought basketball was a non factor?

Location, Lawrence, Kansas is a highly desirable media market . 03-lmfao

02-23-2018 05:02 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
lol here we go....

02-23-2018 05:49 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
(02-23-2018 04:20 PM)djtothemoney Wrote:  Screw the Big 12. Once the big schools in the Big 12 leave their package will be the same as the American.

We in the AAC will still have the biggest package.around.

02-23-2018 05:59 PM
Advertisement

RedRocker Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, UK's foe
(02-23-2018 05:49 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  lol here we go....

X2 07-coffee3

02-23-2018 06:13 PM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-23-2018 05:59 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  
(02-23-2018 04:20 PM)djtothemoney Wrote:  Screw the Big 12. Once the big schools in the Big 12 leave their package will be the same as the American.

We in the AAC will still have the biggest package.around.

I think there's a joke in there somewhere

02-23-2018 11:38 PM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(02-23-2018 05:02 PM)RuckleSt Wrote:  
(02-23-2018 04:30 PM)jarr Wrote:  What makes KU so sexy to the B10 and other conferences. Their football program is one of the worst in all of FBS including the G5. I thought basketball was a non factor?

Location, Lawrence, Kansas is a highly desirable media market . 03-lmfao

They are only 30 miles or so away from Topeka. In 2023, aren't the two media markets merging to make them a metropolis? That would be a huge market addition for the Big (four)Te(e)n.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2018 12:16 AM by bearcatdp.)
02-24-2018 12:15 AM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats

Says the guy who had sources basically guaranteeing UC in the Big 12 more than a year ago.

02-26-2018 08:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
[Image: 203.gif]

02-26-2018 08:48 AM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

(02-26-2018 08:20 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  

Says the guy who had sources basically guaranteeing UC in the Big 12 more than a year ago.

Let's not revisit that crapshow.

02-26-2018 08:58 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert

In fairness to BC#1, UC thought they were in. What I've heard at many levels they were given assurances they were in. The fact of the matter is UC along with other programs got caught in a game being played by the Big 12 in order to leverage a buyout of the pro-rata clause in their media deal. Remember, the way the Big 12's contract was originally written if they added any more teams the networks would have matched the per team rate (meaning none of the members took a pay decrease). Instead, the Big 12 craftily negotiated a buyout of that clause which resulted in more cash for the 10 members of the conference.

The Big 12 is not going to expand from 10 until someone in that conference leaves. The ACC, B10, SEC and Pac12 are not going to add anyone from the AAC (namely us or UConn). They are sitting in the cat bird seat right now waiting for the Big 12 to implode so they can possibly pick up some pieces. Nothing is likely to happen for several more years when the Big 12 deal is up for negotiations (I believe 2024).

02-26-2018 09:07 AM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-26-2018 08:48 AM)Cat-Man Wrote:  [Image: 203.gif]

I am a big fan of Henry Winkler in the show "Better Late Than Never".

02-26-2018 09:07 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

(02-26-2018 09:07 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

In fairness to BC#1, UC thought they were in. What I've heard at many levels they were given assurances they were in. The fact of the matter is UC along with other programs got caught in a game being played by the Big 12 in order to leverage a buyout of the pro-rata clause in their media deal. Remember, the way the Big 12's contract was originally written if they added any more teams the networks would have matched the per team rate (meaning none of the members took a pay decrease). Instead, the Big 12 craftily negotiated a buyout of that clause which resulted in more cash for the 10 members of the conference.

The Big 12 is not going to expand from 10 until someone in that conference leaves. The ACC, B10, SEC and Pac12 are not going to add anyone from the AAC (namely us or UConn). They are sitting in the cat bird seat right now waiting for the Big 12 to implode so they can possibly pick up some pieces. Nothing is likely to happen for several more years when the Big 12 deal is up for negotiations (I believe 2024).

I know the B12 did what you posted here. My question was always, was this their plan from Day 1 or was this an audible they called when BYU was submarined with the LGBT stuff.

My understanding was that BYU was their #1 option and UC was the "throw in" to bring in an even number. UC was voted as 'acceptable' because they were all happy to get BYU. ESPN knew this and didn't want Fox to benefit from the expanded conference so they submarined BYU with the LGBT deal in public making them untouchable to the B12. Once BYU fell off the radar and it was then going to be UC as the lead dog plus an additional member, they couldn't agree on the additional member and so they called an audible, made a crap show out of the whole deal to make ESPN think they were still going forward with the plan to expand (with no intention of it) and in process bent ESPN over.

That is what I think went down but its just based on piecing all the comments together along with things that made no sense at the time, like the opening up for programs to come 'interview' and then finding out that some teams didn't' even get to present etc.

Who knows. But you are right in the base comment, UC thought they were in. Period.

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2018 09:18 AM by Bearcats#1.)
02-26-2018 09:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.