Little Rock releasing public survey gauging football interest
02-22-2018 10:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Little Rock releasing public survey gauging football interest
They are going to have to find a money-bag willing to support it.

Can't use taxpayer money. Don't want to raise student fees that are already the highest in the state. Will play off-campus where they don't get parking or concession revenue.

I'm just not sure how they plan to do it.

Do they really have some fonors lined up in the background?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
02-22-2018 11:11 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

RE: Little Rock releasing public survey gauging football interest
Stephens inc. has really been a big time contributor to LR for years (22.4 million was given towards the construction and naming rights to their basketball arena) and last January the Coleman family (of Coleman dairy company) donated nearly 10 acres of land for the university to build a future sports complex

Just based on that I think they could get initial start up costs covered but the key will building and maintaining a sustainable athletic budget as well as growing their fanbase support
02-22-2018 11:30 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

Diving into the kool aid so to speak, my big curiosity is IF they actually go forward would they start as FCS (which seems the most viable choice) or ante up and join the sunbelt in FBS (and would that mean the conference go with uneven numbers or add another eastern team for 12)
02-22-2018 11:44 AM
BankerCajun Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UL
So, if they decide to add football and go FCS, i guess that means they would leave the conference...

I would not make since to the Sun Belt to have them add football and not join the league...

Personally, i would love for them and UTA to add football, i think a 12 member football league works...

Do we share with them football revenue? I guess that would be a drawback, along with having weeker teams bringing the league down...
02-22-2018 11:46 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(02-22-2018 11:44 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  Diving into the kool aid so to speak, my big curiosity is IF they actually go forward would they start as FCS (which seems the most viable choice) or ante up and join the sunbelt in FBS (and would that mean the conference go with uneven numbers or add another eastern team for 12)

I would imagine if they added football, it would be a similar start to what USA did. Start the first year playing Division III schools and military schools. Start the second year playing Division III schools and 2 or 3 FCS schools, then start the third year playing mostly FCS schools, with a couple of FBS and D-III schools on the schedule also.
02-22-2018 12:26 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-22-2018 11:30 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  Stephens inc. has really been a big time contributor to LR for years (22.4 million was given towards the construction and naming rights to their basketball arena) and last January the Coleman family (of Coleman dairy company) donated nearly 10 acres of land for the university to build a future sports complex

Just based on that I think they could get initial start up costs covered but the key will building and maintaining a sustainable athletic budget as well as growing their fanbase support

There is a difference between having enough to start a football program...and having enough to start a winning football program.

This seems to be a study that they want to say "yes" instead of "no". I just wonder if the UA system board will actually give them the blessing based on it.

02-22-2018 12:44 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(02-22-2018 12:44 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(02-22-2018 11:30 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  Stephens inc. has really been a big time contributor to LR for years (22.4 million was given towards the construction and naming rights to their basketball arena) and last January the Coleman family (of Coleman dairy company) donated nearly 10 acres of land for the university to build a future sports complex

There is a difference between having enough to start a football program...and having enough to start a winning football program.

This seems to be a study that they want to say "yes" instead of "no". I just wonder if the UA system board will actually give them the blessing based on it.

I just hope that, if they do start a football program, they don't become the Charlotte of the Sun Belt. Either go all-in for football to be successful, or don't do it.
02-22-2018 01:12 PM
SkullyMaroo Online

I Root For: South Alabama
(02-22-2018 11:44 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  Diving into the kool aid so to speak, my big curiosity is IF they actually go forward would they start as FCS (which seems the most viable choice) or ante up and join the sunbelt in FBS (and would that mean the conference go with uneven numbers or add another eastern team for 12)

It doesn’t have to be an eastern team added. It could be a western team, UTA or a NMSU and USA goes back in the same division as Troy.
02-22-2018 01:13 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-22-2018 01:12 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

I just hope that, if they do start a football program, they don't become the Charlotte of the Sun Belt. Either go all-in for football to be successful, or don't do it.
This all seems weird to me. Seems to me like there is something we don't know.

Like they already have a huge donor lined up. Or they want to make UA board say no for political reasons. It just doesn't make sense to me yet financially. I'm assuming there's more to it than "we wanna".

02-22-2018 01:20 PM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I would think if you U of A system had a real problem with their affiliate universities having football, both UAPB and UAM would’ve had their football programs “disappear” a long time ago

02-22-2018 01:28 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-22-2018 01:28 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  I would think if you U of A system had a real problem with their affiliate universities having football, both UAPB and UAM would’ve had their football programs “disappear” a long time ago

Well, UAPB and UAM are not FBS programs in the capitol city. Not exactly the same impact.

But in any case, its not adding up for me yet.

02-22-2018 01:35 PM
ChooChoo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia State
(02-22-2018 01:13 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  

It doesn’t have to be an eastern team added. It could be a western team, UTA or a NMSU and USA goes back in the same division as Troy.

True, NM St and LR would make 6 in the West. USA makes 6 in the East. Have UTA be #13 for Olympic sports and add a #14 in the East. I suggest FGCU; mbb avg 4K at home, they’re in talent rich Florida, and program is on the steady rise. A solid Sun Belt from NM to the Sunshine State. Those 2 additions could even vault us to the 2 bid level.
02-22-2018 01:38 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
I certainly have no knowledge of any "big donors lined up". They are asking fans if they will support football and how much they would give.
They are asking fans would they rather be FCS or FBS. Despite being a Little Rock fan for 35 years (since I moved here), I have my doubts that LR would support football. Overall, I simply think Little Rock is an awful sports town, who won't support anything unless it has a hog on it (even then they only support a winning team).

Just an example. A number of years ago, LR got a team (Arkansas Rimrockers) in the "new" ABA, a joke of a league that most of you have probably heard of. The team signed a bunch of washed up, ex-razorback players most of whom hadn't played organized ball in awhile. The team advanced in the playoffs, as other teams folded, and they had to pay some team to come in here for the league "finals". Overall, the team drew real well, and I believe drew something like 14 to 15K for the "championship" game. The owner saw the league was a total joke as he never knew if other league teams would show up for thelr scheduled games. Anyway, he moved the team to the NBA Developmental League. Obviously, the top minor league in the US, and just a step below the NBA. So now Little Rock had a team made up of actual young talented players in a legitimate league associated with the NBA. However, no washed-up razorbacks allowed. Of course, no one showed up and the team folded within a year or so.
02-22-2018 03:19 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-22-2018 03:19 PM)mjs Wrote:  I certainly have no knowledge of any "big donors lined up". They are asking fans if they will support football and how much they would give.
They are asking fans would they rather be FCS or FBS. Despite being a Little Rock fan for 35 years (since I moved here), I have my doubts that LR would support football. Overall, I simply think Little Rock is an awful sports town, who won't support anything unless it has a hog on it (even then they only support a winning team).

Just an example. A number of years ago, LR got a team (Arkansas Rimrockers) in the "new" ABA, a joke of a league that most of you have probably heard of. The team signed a bunch of washed up, ex-razorback players most of whom hadn't played organized ball in awhile. The team advanced in the playoffs, as other teams folded, and they had to pay some team to come in here for the league "finals". Overall, the team drew real well, and I believe drew something like 14 to 15K for the "championship" game. The owner saw the league was a total joke as he never knew if other league teams would show up for thelr scheduled games. Anyway, he moved the team to the NBA Developmental League. Obviously, the top minor league in the US, and just a step below the NBA. So now Little Rock had a team made up of actual young talented players in a legitimate league associated with the NBA. However, no washed-up razorbacks allowed. Of course, no one showed up and the team folded within a year or so.

That survey will indicate the number of people who like the idea enough to click on a survey to say YES. I already know someone who is gung-ho about saying YES on it and will never attend a game.

Pretty sure we know what the result will be.

We also know that UALR fans will prefer FBS over FCS.

Might as well do a poll on who would like to have a Laborghini.

UALR also knows this.

So I don't think its a legit attempt to find or predict actual numbers of supporters. Its more of a way to have some positive, but statistically meaningless, numbers to wave around in favor of UALR football.

And that's ok. Any school that wants to move (or not move) is going to hire people to generate a study and polls that provides cover for their decision. It is pretty normal.

Based on how they are presenting it, it seems like UALR intends to move and is gathering its CYA material.

But I'm still not sure how they think they are going to pull it off and/or what the real motivation is behind it.

I guess I've followed Arkansas politics too long to take it at face value.

02-22-2018 04:15 PM
Bigtom12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISIANA
Do It Little Rock

[Image: 11950529_921170227929673_33684627_n.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2018 04:56 PM by Bigtom12.)
02-22-2018 04:49 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Guys, Little Rock is not starting a football program. There's just no way. They are doing what they are doing to pacify the locals who know they are about to lose their beloved Razorbacks.
02-22-2018 11:31 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
(02-22-2018 11:31 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Guys, Little Rock is not starting a football program. There's just no way. They are doing what they are doing to pacify the locals who know they are about to lose their beloved Razorbacks.

I tend to agree. I think it is good they are doing a formal study. I assume the results will show it is not feasible. Then we won't have to hear about the possibility of UALR football for, at least, the next 20 years. If I am wrong, I will support it to the best of my ability. But, I can state with 99% confidence that there is no "fix" in. Our AD will weight the results of the consulting firm and make a decision based on that.
02-23-2018 12:03 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2018 12:03 AM)mjs Wrote:  
(02-22-2018 11:31 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Guys, Little Rock is not starting a football program. There's just no way. They are doing what they are doing to pacify the locals who know they are about to lose their beloved Razorbacks.

I tend to agree. I think it is good they are doing a formal study. I assume the results will show it is not feasible. Then we won't have to hear about the possibility of UALR football for, at least, the next 20 years. If I am wrong, I will support it to the best of my ability. But, I can state with 99% confidence that there is no "fix" in. Our AD will weight the results of the consulting firm and make a decision based on that.

If they anticipate the report saying that it is not feasible then why are they publicly trying to build up some excitement about the possibility? If they then decide not to its just going to be a big disappointment for their supporters.

They are giving me the impression that they expect it to be positive.

02-23-2018 09:58 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
They could go the route of the rebirthed UAb program of funding. Basically get the city and businesses in the city to support the program.

If they decide to startup, UTA needs to restart as well. But I do like the idea of NMSU all sports and FGCU for oly sports too.

But if they add now, they will be ful FBS by 2022/23, time for the next round of conference jumping.
02-23-2018 11:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.