Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tournament Seeding
Bookmark and Share
WingsUp Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UNCW
Tournament Seeding
What are the scenarios for us getting the #6 seed in the conference tournament? What are the tiebreakers if our conference record is the same as Elon or another team?
02-19-2018 01:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tke75hawk Offline
1st String

I Root For: uncw
RE: Tournament Seeding
We have the tie breaker on elon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using CSNbbs mobile app
02-19-2018 01:23 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-19-2018 01:23 PM)tke75hawk Wrote:  We have the tie breaker on elon.

Yes, but if there's a 3-way tie, that complicates things. Say we were to tie with Elon AND Delaware. Our record against both combined would be 2-2. Delaware and Elon split their season series, so Delaware's record would be 3-1 against us and Elon.

In that instance, Delaware finishes ahead of both us and Elon.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2018 01:45 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
02-19-2018 01:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Tiebreakers between multiple teams come down to the following:

1. Record against the other teams involved.

2. If the records are all even, it would be record against the top team in the standings, moving downwards if there are still ties.
02-19-2018 01:45 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

Reminder: Tiebreakers are broken in the standings top down. If two teams split then their record against the 1 seed is the tiebreaker. If they have the same record v. the 1 seed, they go down the standings until the tie is broken.

UNCW #6 -
Win @ W&M and @ Drexel - Elon must lose 1 more. They are .5 ahead of us in loss column. We win out, they lose at least 1, we get #6. The only exception to this would be if JMU wins out and Towson finishes tied or ahead of William and Mary. If Towson is 4th seed and JMU wins out then JMU wins the tiebreaker due to 2 wins over Towson.

Win @ Drexel but lose @ W&M- Elon needs to lose @Charleston and at home against Northeastern. They can pull off 1 upset and still lose to JMU, but only IF Hofstra beats JMU. Hofstra needs to win @ JMU on Thursday for us to win the JMU tiebreaker or else JMU will win any tiebreaker with 2 wins over Towson v. our 1 win. If JMU beats Hofstra we need for them to lose out to both Delaware and Elon in order to finish ahead of them. We would also need Drexel to beat Delaware on Thursday since we lose any tiebreaker with Delaware. WORST CASE SCENARIO: JMU and Delaware both win on Thursday and we lose to the Tribe. If that happens we will be tied with Delaware heading into Saturday, losing the tiebreaker and a loss behind JMU. Since they play each other on Saturday, there is no way for both of them to lose and we lose any potential tiebreaker to both.

Win @ W&M but lose @ Drexel - We need Elon to lose both @Charleston and at home against Northeastern. We would also need Drexel to also lose to Delaware to get them out of the picture since we would lose any tiebreaker over Drexel due to their win over Charleston. Then we would need JMU to lose to Hofstra so we win that potential tiebreaker, beat Delaware to knock Delaware out of the tie with us, and then lose to Elon at home so we finish in tie with JMU and Elon that we win thanks to our sweep of Elon. The Towson - Northeastern game also comes into play under this scenario. If we beat W&M we can still win the tiebreaker against JMU. If they beat Hofstra, but William and Mary finishes ahead of Towson we win the JMU tiebreaker. So it is in UNCW's best interest for Towson to lose out as well.

There is no way for UNCW to get the #6 if they lose out.

Outside of wanting UNCW to win, the most important game Thursday night is Hofstra at JMU. We really, really, really need Hofstra to win that game or else it could get messy.

If we finish in a tie with Towson for the 5th seed, they win it because they beat Charleston and we didn't.

If we finish in a 3 way tie with Towson and Elon for the 5th seed, we WIN because we are 3-1 in the mini pool while Elon is 2-2, and Towson is 1-3

We cannot finish in a tie with Delaware because they swept us
We cannot finish in a tie with Drexel because they beat Charleston and we didn't
We cannot finish in a tie with JMU IF they beat Hofstra because the swept Towson and we did not, UNLESS we beat William and Mary and William in Mary finishes ahead of Towson
We CAN finish in a tie with Elon due to the season sweep.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2018 03:28 PM by solohawks.)
02-19-2018 02:22 PM
Gary Miller Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW Seahawks
The above post is much appreciated...

If we do end up getting the bye I would prefer to have the 6th seed. That path looks much easier, assuming CofC gets the 1 seed.
02-19-2018 03:49 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

Also of note, Tuesday morning's RPI is the ultimate tiebreaker.

So for example if two teams were to finished tied and working the way down the standings comparing results did not break the tiebreaker, RPI would be used.
02-21-2018 02:12 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

Here is what is at stake in tonight's games for each team

Charleston can clinch the #1 seed with win tonight OR NE loss

Northeastern can clinch at least the #2 seed with win tonight OR Hofstra loss

Hofstra can clinch at least the #3 seed with a win tonight AND a William and Mary loss

William and Mary can clinch at least the #4 seed with a win tonight AND a Towson loss

Towson can clinch at least the #5 seed with a win tonight AND an Elon loss

Elon, UNCW, JMU, Delaware, and Drexel all remain in contention for the 6th seed with a win tonight.

The Drexel-Delaware loser will definitely be in the play in game
02-22-2018 12:32 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
Crazy how much is still at stake this late in the season.
02-22-2018 02:02 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

#1 - Charleston

#2 - Northeastern

#3 - Hofstra unless Hofstra loses at home to Towson and Tribe beats CoC at home

#4 - William and Mary unless Tribe beats CoC at home and Hofstra loses to Towson at home

#5 - Towson unless Elon beats both NE and JMU at home and Towson loses road game at Hofstra

#6 - Drexel - UNCW winner unless Elon beats both NE and JMU at home. Elon will also clinch 6th if they beat NE, Drexel beats UNCW, and Hofstra is the #3 seed. JMU can snag the 6th seed if they win out against Delaware and Elon, Elon beats NE, and Drexel beats UNCW.

#7 - #10 will be Elon (unless they beat NE), the UNCW-Drexel loser, JMU, and Delaware. If Elon can win 1 of their last 2 will be 7th seed. If not it will be the UNCW - Drexel loser, unless Delaware wins and UNCW loses. If that happens Delaware gets #7.

Summary: UNCW will most likely be 6th if they win and 8th if they lose, assuming Elon loses to NE. If they win and Elon wins out they will be 7th. Assuming NE beats Elon...If UNCW loses and JMU beats Delaware but loses to Elon they will be 8th. If they lose and JMU loses to Delaware but beats Elon they will be 8th. If they lose and JMU beats both Delaware and Elon they will be 8th. If they lose and JMU loses to both Delaware and Elon they will be 9th. If Elon beats NE and UNCW loses then UNCW will be the 9th seed ahead of only the JMU Delaware loser.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2018 10:59 PM by solohawks.)
02-22-2018 09:31 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
Tournament Seeding
Congrats guys for climbing out of the dregs. Go take out Hofstra!

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
02-24-2018 08:51 PM
Advertisement

EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
Gustys and Cacok will meet again. You had the second biggest margin of victory against Hofstra this season, and the biggest was by Villanova. You beat Hofstra by 20, and Hofstra's next most recent loss by at least 20 to an unranked team was 100-79 at William & Mary on January 28, 2015. Other than to you, Hofstra has not lost by at least 20 to a team that finished below .500 since a 73-47 loss hosting Southern Methodist (SMU) on December 1, 2012, and that was Hofstra's worst season winning percentage since 1987-1988.
02-24-2018 09:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
Ok. Now I think we are a team of density. :-). How in the world did we end up as the 6th. seed? Every single win/loss we needed aligned perfectly although we couldn't win to save our lives. Yet, here we are. And now that we are out of the play in round, we're on equal time with almost everyone else. We even have a better draw than the Tribe, who get their foil in Towson.

Wow. Could we actually make a run?
02-24-2018 09:23 PM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

UNCW is better than their record shows. They lost more offense than any team in NCAA hoops from the year before, have a new coach and played a pretty decent OOC schedule. Looking back on it, they should have lightened it up as much as possible with all the new faces.

I'm not saying that UNCW will beat Hofstra again, but they should be competitive. Hawks have been to the Big Dance the past 2 years so most of them are used to tournament basketball.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2018 09:32 PM by billthebighawksfan.)
02-24-2018 09:26 PM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

'82,
Yes, UNCW can make a run at it because they're out of the play in game. They can compete with any team in this league. It's wide open.

Now, if I were a betting man....I'd say that it will come down to C of C and NE. Hofstra is solid and the Tribe can beat anybody.
02-24-2018 09:30 PM
Gary Miller Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW Seahawks
(02-24-2018 09:30 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  '82,
Yes, UNCW can make a run at it because they're out of the play in game. They can compete with any team in this league. It's wide open.

Now, if I were a betting man....I'd say that it will come down to C of C and NE. Hofstra is solid and the Tribe can beat anybody.

A W&M v. CofC semifinal would be a doozy
02-24-2018 09:55 PM
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(02-24-2018 09:55 PM)Gary Miller Wrote:  
(02-24-2018 09:30 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  '82,

A W&M v. CofC semifinal would be a doozy

Those are the two final teams I'd put money on, but our Seahawks are certainly in better shape going into the tournament than we thought they'd be following our OOC slate.

Again, going all the way back to preseason picks by the coaches I think we were picked 8th? If we were picked lower than 6th, we exceeded expectations... again. I think we'll be competing for championships again very soon.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018 01:10 AM by B_Hawk06.)
02-25-2018 01:10 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
One game at a time. Focus. Go out there, play UNCW basketball. Have fun. See if it translates into playing the next day.

Make Trask-South Great Again!
02-25-2018 01:12 AM
Hall of Famer

I'll be working the UNCW-Princeton Baseball game at 1 PM on Sunday, March 4th. Plans may be in the works for me and 2 buddies to make the drive for the tournament game as soon as baseball gets out, then drive back to Wilmington after, lol. We were waiting for the tournament seedings/schedule before settling on whether we'd make the trip at all, since money is a bit tight for all of us (wedding planning for 2/3 of us!)

Not saying it's set in stone but that would be fun....and exhausting.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018 01:39 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
02-25-2018 01:38 AM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
CG_Hawk06 ' Wrote:  Again, going all the way back to preseason picks by the coaches I think we were picked 8th? If we were picked lower than 6th, we exceeded expectations... again. I think we'll be competing for championships again very soon.

Preseason poll:
1. Charleston
2. Towson
3. Elon
4. Hofstra
5. UNCW
6. Northeastern
7. Delaware
8. William and Mary
9. Drexel
10. James Madison

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
02-25-2018 02:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.