Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Giving away tickets to Cincinnati
Bookmark and Share
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Giving away tickets to Cincinnati
10 years ago we played in the national championship game and were playing the likes of Georgetown, Arizona, and Tennessee in front of 18,000 people. Now, the school is offering 2000 free tickets for Saturday's game against one of our oldest rivals who is ranked in the top 10 in an attempt to have a semi-decent crowd. Let that sink in. Its just amazing how far the administration has let this program fall. Maybe we will be good again one day, but it wont be while this staff is here and probably not while the current AD and Univ Pres are in place.
01-25-2018 09:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Giving away tickets to Cincinnati
(01-25-2018 09:11 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  10 years ago we played in the national championship game and were playing the likes of Georgetown, Arizona, and Tennessee in front of 18,000 people. Now, the school is offering 2000 free tickets for Saturday's game against one of our oldest rivals who is ranked in the top 10 in an attempt to have a semi-decent crowd. Let that sink in. Its just amazing how far the administration has let this program fall. Maybe we will be good again one day, but it wont be while this staff is here and probably not while the current AD and Univ Pres are in place.

OK, I guess we can blame the administration for some of this. But fans can go to the games on their own you know. Just because the Tigers aren't 20-0 or 19-1 doesn't mean fans have to quit on the program.
01-25-2018 09:16 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
We need the Griz money.

However, free tickets undercuts the value of season tickets and will tend to erode season ticket sales for next year.
01-25-2018 09:31 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(01-25-2018 09:11 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  10 years ago we played in the national championship game and were playing the likes of Georgetown, Arizona, and Tennessee in front of 18,000 people. Now, the school is offering 2000 free tickets for Saturday's game against one of our oldest rivals who is ranked in the top 10 in an attempt to have a semi-decent crowd. Let that sink in. Its just amazing how far the administration has let this program fall. Maybe we will be good again one day, but it wont be while this staff is here and probably not while the current AD and Univ Pres are in place.

When you balance all of the good against hiring Tubby, it isn't fair at all to be so critical. The program has never been in better shape. FEF is amazing, the new practice facility is amazing, the area still cranks out a lot of talent and football isn't the boat anchor it once was. Also, it has to be exciting to be a Memphian and see all the improvements made to the university as a whole.

Rudd and Bowen made a mistake by hiring Tubby. We are a good hire away from turning it around.
01-25-2018 09:32 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators

The AD and President certainly deserve criticism for hiring Tubby. They will have to make amends.
01-25-2018 09:34 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

Of course fans choose whether to show up or not. And its no secret, fans show up for a good product. Short of that they show up where there's a future hope --- some nice recruits locked up. Short of that maybe some effort by the staff to do serious public relations. Short of that a coach's honest look at himself and the program and then making those needed changes. Any or all of those would help fans 'choose' to attend games.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2018 09:37 AM by TIGERCITY.)
01-25-2018 09:36 AM
Advertisement

gusrob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS - My Alma Mater
You can't blame fans for spending their time and money in other ways. They're fans. They will, by nature, follow the team if there is anything worth following. Put a decent basketball product in Memphis and it will draw people. Period.
01-25-2018 09:39 AM
wylioats Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

I guess that basketball palace over on south campus is the result of the current administration not caring about basketball, yea right. And by all means, lets get rid of Bowen and Rudd, who collectively have done nothing to help grow our football program to the height it's currently enjoying. SMDH!
01-25-2018 09:45 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(01-25-2018 09:45 AM)wylioats Wrote:  

I guess that basketball palace over on south campus is the result of the current administration not caring about basketball, yea right. And by all means, lets get rid of Bowen and Rudd, who collectively have done nothing to help grow our football program to the height it's currently enjoying. SMDH!

Agree completely. Lots of things going right for the U as a whole. This issue will be resolved this March or next March.
01-25-2018 09:59 AM
true_blue_thru_and_thru Offline
All American

I Root For: The Tigers
(01-25-2018 09:32 AM)Stammers Wrote:  

When you balance all of the good against hiring Tubby, it isn't fair at all to be so critical. The program has never been in better shape. FEF is amazing, the new practice facility is amazing, the area still cranks out a lot of talent and football isn't the boat anchor it once was. Also, it has to be exciting to be a Memphian and see all the improvements made to the university as a whole.

Rudd and Bowen made a mistake by hiring Tubby. We are a good hire away from turning it around.

Agreed on all the non-Tubby stuff and I just don't think anybody involved in the hiring of Tubby thought it would go this bad this fast. I think most thought he had a pretty low ceiling but also a pretty low floor. Worst case he'd fill the team with plucky 2-3 star guys that played his style of team bball but at the end would be a run of the mill bubble team most years. While at the same time solidifying the "character" of the program. Woo boy did that thinking turn out to be wrong fast.
01-25-2018 10:02 AM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness

4 years ago we packed the house for Gonzaga and Louisville too.

Combination.
01-25-2018 10:10 AM
Advertisement

gusrob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS - My Alma Mater
(01-25-2018 10:02 AM)true_blue_thru_and_thru Wrote:  

Agreed on all the non-Tubby stuff and I just don't think anybody involved in the hiring of Tubby thought it would go this bad this fast. I think most thought he had a pretty low ceiling but also a pretty low floor. Worst case he'd fill the team with plucky 2-3 star guys that played his style of team bball but at the end would be a run of the mill bubble team most years. While at the same time solidifying the "character" of the program. Woo boy did that thinking turn out to be wrong fast.

Exactly. And who pays $3million/year+ salary for those results?!?! To put that in perspective, that is a Top10 (IN THE NATION) coaching salary.
01-25-2018 10:11 AM
BandwagonJumper Away
First name Greatest, Last name Ever

I Root For: winners
It's a once in a lifetime event that no one would have ever thought possible.

Enjoy it folks.
01-25-2018 10:59 AM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
(01-25-2018 10:59 AM)BandwagonJumper Wrote:  It's a once in a lifetime event that no one would have ever thought possible.

Enjoy it folks.

Dilly Dilly!
01-25-2018 11:52 AM
Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
The fans for the most part have taken on the attitude of the coach. Lazy I think is the word being used most often.
01-25-2018 02:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
OBEDIENCE!
01-25-2018 02:20 PM
Advertisement

Stammers Offline
Legend

(01-25-2018 10:02 AM)true_blue_thru_and_thru Wrote:  

I would be on board with Tubby if the 2017 class were all freshmen. That is the honest truth.
01-25-2018 02:26 PM
dcg141 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Leaving the AAC
Anyone else notice we seem to have a larger core of die hard football fans come no matter how bad we are vs BB fans.
01-25-2018 03:27 PM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

I say we win this mf’er!
01-25-2018 03:43 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(01-25-2018 03:43 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  I say we win this mf’er!

I still remember watching the game, I had to look up exactly when it happened. In 1994 we finished 13-16 but we had a really nice home win against Cincinnati, ranked #19 at the time. We had a loud crowd, I don't remember if the Pyramid was packed, but it seemed like we had a big crowd that was really into it.
01-25-2018 03:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.