Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jacob Evans at point
Bookmark and Share
payday Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats!
Jacob Evans at point
Not much discussion about this, but I’ve been intrigued by using JE at the point. He’s been pretty effective. Could that translate in the NBA?

01-15-2018 06:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
RE: Jacob Evans at point
(01-15-2018 06:37 PM)payday Wrote:  Not much discussion about this, but I’ve been intrigued by using JE at the point. He’s been pretty effective. Could that translate in the NBA?

Doubt he is a PG at the next level, but the league values 2's that can handle the ball and bring it up. I don't think the league really desigbates positions like they did back in the day. James Harden, Ben Simmins and LeBron aren't PG but they handle the ball the most on their teams. Not to say JE is anywhere close to them.

01-15-2018 07:08 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
Magic Johnson was the original "Point Forward".

01-15-2018 07:12 PM
payday Offline
All American

At 6’6 with his shooting, slashing and ball handling skills...he could be developed. As they said...that shot at Temple was NBA

01-15-2018 07:30 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
Hope he stays next year, I think we could actually be good next year if he comes back even with Washington and Clark leaving.

01-15-2018 07:34 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Any additional skills that he can exhibit just adds to his NBA potential and versatility. If Mick can help him more consistently "flip that attack switch on" then the kid has a pretty high ceiling IMO.

01-15-2018 07:39 PM
Advertisement

doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
The Mock Drafts have Evans as a Round 2.

Better off coming back and trying to get into Round 1 where you get big bucks and a guaranteed contract.

01-15-2018 07:48 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
From a recent interview it sounds like Mick has a great relationship with Jacob's mother. My gut says he'll be back for his senior year. His draft stock will rise as a result.

01-15-2018 07:54 PM
CallMeSlim Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
I thought he struggled vs Temple when he was asked to play PG with no other real PG on the court. But I think he's fine to bring it up from his SG spot (being the PG for the possession) for specific sets we want to run (as he did a couple times vs south florida).

01-15-2018 07:55 PM
gerhard911 Offline
Special Teams

(01-15-2018 07:54 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  From a recent interview it sounds like Mick has a great relationship with Jacob's mother. My gut says he'll be back for his senior year. His draft stock will rise as a result.

I think his mom will steer him to finish his college career as well. <fingers crossed>

01-15-2018 08:06 PM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
Thanks for bringing this up. I've been curious what others have thought about Jacob Evans at point. I've found it pretty interesting and encouraging for Evans' future at UC and beyond.

01-15-2018 08:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

payday Offline
All American

(01-15-2018 07:48 PM)doss2 Wrote:  The Mock Drafts have Evans as a Round 2.

Better off coming back and trying to get into Round 1 where you get big bucks and a guaranteed contract.

And part of that might be moving him to the point next year and just letting him loose on the competition. Steve Logan like..

01-15-2018 08:30 PM
payday Offline
All American

Like Logan am KMart before him...he could be a unanimous 1st team AA

01-15-2018 08:32 PM
eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
i don't know how much his stats are going to improve, especially if he is losing Gary and KW as teammates. Teams will be able to game plan for him. if he produces a good run in the tournament, he should leave. i think any additional development will happen at the next level.

As far as JEIII at the point, it works because he's not really facing any ball pressure. it's not like he's doing that against the press. i actually like him better running side to side, curling off of screens and getting space using his teammates; and benefiting from inside out play. He gets some wide open looks when we play through clark.

01-15-2018 09:05 PM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
The more I watch him this year, the more I don't think he'll be back. He can shoot at an extremely high level, dribble, jump out of the gym, etc.

Gary Clark might be the best defensive player in the country, but Jacob Evans isn't that far behind.

01-16-2018 06:11 AM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I don't like Evans at point. I want to see Cane Broome there 35 minutes a game. I understand Broome's limitations right now (mostly defensive) but I'd prefer to deal with his growing pains right now in hopes that he continues to develop with more minutes as the season progresses.

Right now UC is a top 20 team that can most certainly get beat by any decent team on any given night. This team is still one player short of becoming elite and there's no one new walking thru the door in the next two months. Cane Broome's ability to break down defenses and get to the basket can be that difference maker.

01-16-2018 08:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
If you see Broome at PG 35 minutes a game, you are going to see UC lose a lot of games down the stretch. Staff is handling this almost perfectly to this point (pun intended).

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2018 09:07 AM by rath v2.0.)
01-16-2018 09:06 AM
Recluse1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
I think his handle is pretty good, he's obviously still better off the ball but I have no qualms with him carrying it. He burned Temple terribly on that last shot. His poise is very hard to knock as well, even during the debacle at the Cintas Center, the dude more than held his own(wish I could say that for the rest of the team) he was obviously the best player on the court. Mississippi State he did a lot of different things

then there was that time during the UCLA game, where he completely demoralized his defender 1.07 mark

Nice to see Reuben Patterson in the crowd liked it though.

I don't suspect we're likely to see him back next season if things continue as they have for the past few weeks. I also don't see us losing in the first weekend either if that becomes the status quo. You take the bad with the good.
He's a two way player with the measurables, the shooting, an age that leaves his best basketball still ahead of him, far too much going for him to be ignored.
I can think of several teams that can really use him.

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2018 09:53 AM by Recluse1.)
01-16-2018 09:27 AM
mikecat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: uc bearcats
35 minutes a game for Broome may be a little high,but i think for a big run in the tournament his minutes need to get in the 26-30,basically saying he has figured out how not to turn the ball over so he has earned more minutes.

01-16-2018 09:29 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(01-16-2018 08:54 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  I don't like Evans at point. I want to see Cane Broome there 35 minutes a game. I understand Broome's limitations right now (mostly defensive) but I'd prefer to deal with his growing pains right now in hopes that he continues to develop with more minutes as the season progresses.

Right now UC is a top 20 team that can most certainly get beat by any decent team on any given night. This team is still one player short of becoming elite and there's no one new walking thru the door in the next two months. Cane Broome's ability to break down defenses and get to the basket can be that difference maker.

Three different predictive metrics have UC as a top 10 team (Sagarin 10, kenpom 8, BPI 7). They are sitting just outside the top ten in the human polls (I read less into these because of how volatile they are, but just thought I'd put it out there). I'd say calling them a top 20 team, while accurate, doesn't fully do justice to how good they are right now.

I agree with Rath. They've handled this PG situation perfectly. Jennifer has been so underrated by so many Bearcat fans this season. He's 3rd on the team in kenpom O rating behind Gary and Evans (and really nearly identical to Evans). He doesn't turn the ball over (of the major contributors only Gary Clark has a lower turnover rate) and he has the second highest assist rate on the team (behind Broome). He also has solid jump shooting numbers. He's basically doing everything he's being asked to do on offense at a high level. His on the ball defense has been great. He just doesn't let himself get screened which prevents mismatches on that end and makes it incredibly hard for other teams to get into their offense. When you have a PG whose on the ball defense is that good, it makes it really hard for teams to run good offense against you.

However, the staff also has Broome and likes his strengths. They are able to use his instant offense and the mismatches he creates, particularly when UC needs an offensive spark. He's a nice guy to have on the floor when UC sits one or two of their other starters, because lets face it, UC's other bench guys aren't there yet offensively and when the starters sit they need guys that can score. If Broome has the hot hand, the staff is not afraid to ride him at the expense of minutes for Jennifer, but Jennifer is generally the more complete player at this point. The staff has also found ways to play them both at the same time, which has been effective at times as well.

Lastly, the staff has used it's star player more on the ball this year, which forces him to be more assertive. Evans has always been incredibly efficient and a really good player, but he disappears sometimes. By using him on the ball in key possessions and for stretches of the game, the staff has kept him engaged and in the flow of everything. Evans isn't disappearing in games lately and it's really helped. I think as the season has gone on the staff has really gotten a feel for its lineups and substitution patterns (something I've been critical of in the past on many occasions). Specifically though, I think the way they have handled to PG position this year has been perfect.

01-16-2018 09:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.