Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Where are your favorite cars from?
American
British
German
Japanese
Italian
Other
[Show Results]

Automobiles
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Automobiles
I don't believe that I am the only gear-head on here, sports, cars, and politics tend to go hand-in-hand.

So, who likes them? What do you have? Why did you buy what you did? What do you want? What do you hate? Why do you hate them? What are you excited for? What car did you have that was a piece of junk? What is your favorite?

A previous thread got me thinking about this because it made me reflect on how many cars I have had since I started driving in high school.

I will rank every car I have owned from first to worst, excluding my current car because I simply don't know just yet. The Asterix denotes cars I bought my wife.

1) Jaguar XJR. I would have it today if it wasn't for the ass hole that ran that red light. It saved my life.

1) Jaguar XFR. Fast, beautiful, and graceful. I was sorry to see it go but I traded it on my very favorite car, above.

2) Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I loved it. Part of me wishes I had kept it. It's a Jeep thing.

2) Chrysler 300c Platinum. It was a car that vastly exceeded its price point. It had everything and it was comfortable and quite. It also had a stunning sound system--the best I've ever had in a car. I think it is the best American sedan on the market hands down, regardless of price. Cadillac and Lincoln should take notes. It also saved my life in a rainstorm when it did a full emergency brake for a stalled 18 wheeler in the rain.

3*) Chrysler 200c. A surprise vehicle. This was the first car I bought for my wife. Most people despised them but I loved it. It was fast, had a phenomenal sound system, looked great, got 32mpg on the highway with the V6, and had all the radar guided toys and automatic stuff. The Chryslers I have had, including the 300, are the most reliable and well made vehicles I have owned.

4*) Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. It is well made and serves its purpose. It's also been flawless and my wife loves it.

5) Ford F150 FX4. My first car, it was fantastic, except for its limited slip differential, slow 4 speed, and way underpowered 5.4L engine.

6) Land Rover Range Rover Sport S/C. It sounded and looked great but it got dreadful fuel economy and had a series of minor but annoying issues.

7) Cadillac CTS. This car I had a love and hate relationship with. I loved it when it was new but it was ultimately best described as a piece of ****. It leaked, creaked, had engine issues, aged rapidly, and was actually slow--despite 304 hp. But, it was beautiful.

8*) BMW X5. It was amazingly loud, poorly priced, had atrocious quality, ugly, and just god-awful. It had a peppy engine but that's it.

?) Maserati Ghibli S. TBD

So, what cars have you had and what did you like, love, or hate about them?

I've also included a poll, favorite country of origin. This will be interesting.
01-13-2018 12:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
RE: Automobiles
fantasy car would be anything from here

1981 pontiac grand le mans- had a tape deck and a cb. my grandpa gave it to me. lasted a few years before the head gasket blew out

1980 buick century- this was a smooth ride. leather couch seats and i was just hitting my stride. knee deep in underground hip hop and smoking al capone cigarillos. that car stopped going in reverse but otherwise it ran great.

2003 kia rio- i had this puppy for thirteen years. she balled me to the four corners practically. the both of us and a buddy almost perished in a utah flash flood. this was just early in her career. put her down at 184,000 miles old. she could have lived longer had i provided for her better. she will be forever remembered for the stickers that coated her backside

1993 ford festiva- you better believe i'm checking that oil. my pops bought this at an estate sale a few years ago. he up and gave it to me last summer. it's so f*cking sweet. i just have to play it cool when i drive it. i'm a walking driving stereotype

of all those cars i've only boughten that one
01-13-2018 09:32 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
I'm pretty practical in my cars. Not really in to sports cars. I like big and comfortable. I tend to keep them a while. In order of preference:

1) Toyota Avalon. Comfortable, quick and pretty trouble free.
2) Chevrolet Suburban (two)-just replaced our last one. Great for road trips. Main complaint is some engineering things. Spare tire is underneath and is a pain. You have to use a long tool to unwind it. And over a few years the tool and the tunnel you stick it in both expand/contract, making it more and more difficult. Also the rear gate was all electric. No way to open it manually when the switch went out
3) Buick Regal. Buicks are just comfortable. Good looking car. First new one I owned.
4) Honda Accord (2). Wife had one when we got married and bought another. Very reliable, but not real comfortable. Never had any trouble with either except some A/C problems-a Honda weakness.
5) Chevy Malibu (1975 model). Big and reliable. Easy to maintain. Everything easy to get to in the engine. Moved everything I owned in it when I graduated. Got it used with 42k. At 105k I sold it to a relative who drove it for several years and 20k more miles, was in an accident and got paid for totaling it. And drove it for a few more years after that.
6) Jeep Grand Cherokee. Nice to have the space and we liked the car, but not nearly as reliable as our Hondas.
7) Buick Century. Mid 80s GMS were awful. Like all Buicks it was comfortable. But it got to the point where the cashier at the dealer knew me by name. They usually knew the problem by the time I finished the first sentence. Took a lot of convincing by my wife to buy another GM (the Suburban) after that. I had owned nothing but GMs but they lost me for a customer for 20 years. Still not sure I would buy a GM other than an SUV or Truck. Ended up trading it in for scrap value when it only had 65,000 miles and 5 years on it.
01-14-2018 02:14 PM
tigersroll Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
1) 93 Mercedes 300ce Cabriolet. Have it now and still love this car. Rare car as not many were made for the U.S. market and only a few are left running. Definite investment on my part. Only weakness is leaky tonneau cover hydraulic which I have replaced on my own.
2) Infiniti Q45 (2003) Strong V8 with every option including reclining rear seats. Car was ahead of its time. Still own and still prefer over newer cars.
3) 94 E320 Benz-Car was strong, safe, dependable and saved my daughter from a T-bone accident by a semi-truck. He rant he stop sign going about 15-20 mph.
4) Acura RL- Loved that car until I came around a dark corner and ran over a draft shaft, yes a drive shaft, in the road that fell off a junkers trailer. Car was very reliable, beautiful, big and dependable.
5) Infiniti J30T-Black on black with tint. I called it the space ship. That car was ugly but attractive at the same time.
6) 1990 Honda Accord-Great car, but only reason I rated this low was because of engine power
7) 1990 Infiniti M30- Nice car but cramped interior.
8) 84 Peugeot 505 STI 5-speed manual with diesel engine. This car was slow but very nice looking back in 1988. It was my first car at 16 years old. I'd put 3 dollars worth of diesel in the tank and literally drove it for 2-3 days.

I've never had or been drawn to American cars.

I've owned 2003 Accord Coupe which I gave to my daughter for her college car. I paid cash for each car I've owned since I HATE car payments.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2018 06:47 PM by tigersroll.)
01-14-2018 02:59 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
I love old American muscle and I miss my GMC Suburban. But when I buy what my family is going to drive on a day to day basis, its almost always Japanese for longevity, dependability and resale value sake.

Right now we have in the driveway and garage:

Accura TL
Honda Accord
Toyota Camry
Toyota Sienna
VStar 950 Custom

And my warm weather four wheel top down ride is a 1988 Mazda RX7 Convertible. Rotary engines kick ass.

Was about to say the only American iron I still own is my 1963 Fordson Super Dexta tractor but Fordson was Ford's English outfit.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2018 04:20 PM by rath v2.0.)
01-14-2018 03:51 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I've never owned a Japanese car, and probably never will.

I know so many people love them and there are certainly advantages but I've never seen one I loved.
01-14-2018 06:34 PM
Advertisement

tigersroll Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(01-14-2018 03:51 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I love old American muscle and I miss my GMC Suburban. But when I buy what my family is going to drive on a day to day basis, its almost always Japanese for longevity, dependability and resale value sake.

Right now we have in the driveway and garage:

Accura TL
Honda Accord
Toyota Camry
Toyota Sienna
VStar 950 Custom

And my warm weather four wheel top down ride is a 1988 Mazda RX7 Convertible. Rotary engines kick ass.

Was about to say the only American iron I still own is my 1963 Fordson Super Dexta tractor but Fordson was Ford's English outfit.

Props on the 88 RX7 Convertible. That (along with a Porsche 944 turbo) was one of my first dream cars and I still may look to purchase one sometime in the future. Great looking car!
01-14-2018 06:49 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
It’s a fun ride and it’s been in the family for 2 decades. When I was in HS I thought they looked like an attainable Porsche. Stinks having to keep it on a battery tender with stabil in the tank while the ice age stops around here.
01-15-2018 09:15 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
I've progressed in interesting ways: (with selected internet pictures, not my actual vehicles)

1. 1984 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer Edition
2. 1986 Buick Park Ave (with blue vinyl roof!)
3. 1989 Nissan 240sx (the Nissan "Sex")
4. 1994 Acura 2.2CL (220,000 miles)
5. 1999 Honda Civic EX (wife's first new car)
6. 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport (underrated for getting around the snow, but pretty awful otherwise)
7. 2010 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring (sneaky fast. We put big tires on it and it looked 1000x better than the OEM treads)
8. 2015 Honda Odyssey EX (those who don't drive minivans will never understand those that do, and vice versa)
9. 2016 Honda Accord Sport (great looking car but too under-powered. Last 4 cyl I will ever own)

Summer car: 1985 BMW 535i in zinnoberrot
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4DOWJG2wnz_8UR96H3IP...yECJjA430s]

Summer boat: 1993 ChrisCraft Scorpoin 23' with cuddy cabin.
[Image: 41434d1365531972-1987-chris-craft-scorpion-230-2199.jpg]

Dream used car: 2011 BMW Alpina B5 BiTurbo Touring
[Image: Alpina-B5-BiTurbo-Touring-1.jpg]

Probably my next new car: Alfa Romeo Giulia TI
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtHnuBPqoUkemMpNxtz9-...4yzVG0TjBO]

And also zero turn John Deere mower. That's pretty awesome as well.
01-15-2018 01:42 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
I'm a young kid.

2012 VW GTI - Manual
2012 VW Beetle - Automatic

In two years I'm going to get another.
01-15-2018 07:49 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

The new Alfa is amazing.

I order the Quadrofoglio model back in July, but Alfa couldn’t fill the order.

They are as close to perfect as a car gets.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018 10:59 AM by Lord Stanley.)
01-15-2018 09:32 PM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(01-15-2018 09:32 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  The new Alfa is amazing. I order the Quadrofoglio model back in July, but Alfa couldn’t fill the order. They are as close to perfect as a car gets.

Did you move on from the Quadrofoglio? Or are you still waiting?

So, I've also had my lizard brain poked recently by this car:

[Image: DSC0171-610.jpg]

A local trophy wife tears around the area in one during the summer and I recently saw it (randomly, cause it's snowy, icy, and cold as fark) at a local eatery.

It just sound so glorious.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018 10:59 AM by Lord Stanley.)
01-17-2018 10:56 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-17-2018 10:56 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(01-15-2018 09:32 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  The new Alfa is amazing. I order the Quadrofoglio model back in July, but Alfa couldn’t fill the order. They are as close to perfect as a car gets.

Did you move on from the Quadrofoglio? Or are you still waiting?

So, I've also had my lizard brain poked recently by this car:

A local trophy wife tears around the area in one during the summer and I recently saw it (randomly, cause it's snowy, icy, and cold as fark) at a local eatery.

I moved on to the Maserati.

I still haven’t decided on wether or not I should have just waited for it.

The carbon seat package is a no-go for me and Alfa didn’t seem to like that and delayed the car 4 times.
01-17-2018 11:30 AM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
(01-17-2018 10:56 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  So, I've also had my lizard brain poked recently by this car:

Ohhh, tread carefully. I had a client in town recently and he rented one. I reached down to adjust the seat and tugged gently on what felt like a handle, but I ended up pulling a large piece of plastic clean off the seat frame. A couple of hours later, he rolled down the window to pull a parking ticket at his hotel and the window mechanism snapped inside the door (frighteningly loud crack); glass stuck.

That was enough for me.
01-17-2018 12:53 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-17-2018 12:53 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(01-17-2018 10:56 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  So, I've also had my lizard brain poked recently by this car:

Ohhh, tread carefully. I had a client in town recently and he rented one. I reached down to adjust the seat and tugged gently on what felt like a handle, but I ended up pulling a large piece of plastic clean off the seat frame. A couple of hours later, he rolled down the window to pull a parking ticket at his hotel and the window mechanism snapped inside the door (frighteningly loud crack); glass stuck.

That was enough for me.

There are so few Italian cars on the road in the US that all you will hear are these kinds of stories, either good or bad.

In my opinion, there is little difference between the quality of cars today. They all use the same suppliers and they all use the same production techniques.
01-17-2018 01:02 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
Sure, but it's not just stories. There may be LESS data, but it's still there. The 500 has been at or near the bottom of reliability rankings for a while now.
01-17-2018 02:43 PM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
I'm no gearhead though I can definitely understand why some are, i's just not my hobby. Below is what I've owned in chronological order, most were passed down to me from family and/or bought for cheap.

1. 2007 Toyota Corolla: Was my older sister's car before she went to college. Functional, but no oomph in the engine and was very spartan in features. Baby blue isn't the number one color of choice for a 16-year old guy either.
2. 2004 Buick Century: Passed down from my grandma when my sister needed the Corolla back. I liked it more since I thought it was funny driving a stereotypical geezer car that had only 12K miles on it at 11 years of age.
3. 2008 Pontiac G6: Bought from my grandparents on the other side after that grandma quit driving. Wasn't amazing and it was sometimes a pain maintaining with Pontiac being gone and all, but it was a step up in features. Had a lot of sentimental value though, my late grandparents grew up dirt poor and went with inexpensive cars out of thriftiness but 'splurged' on this during retirement, and were proud to pass it on for it to work well for years thereafter.
4. 2017 Honda HR-V: I sold the G6 after moving to Chicago and owning a car became impractical at the time. After switching jobs I suddenly needed to drive to work again so I bought this in August - it's no dream machine, but the 4WD does well in bad weather, it heats well this time of year, and the bluetooth is real handy for podcasts.
01-17-2018 10:23 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-17-2018 02:43 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  Sure, but it's not just stories. There may be LESS data, but it's still there. The 500 has been at or near the bottom of reliability rankings for a while now.

Ranking systems like JD Power, True Delta, Strategic Vision, and the infamous Consumer Reports, are all hotly debated in the automotive community.

Most aren’t worth the paper they are written on and all have various issues.

Besides, all of these groups subsist on the idea that there are massive differences because they need to, in order to sell subscriptions. But, the truth is like I said, they are all built with similar parts using the same processes. Is there a difference? To some extent but that extent is narrow enough that people should purchase the cars they want instead of the car they may sort of want but think it’s somehow going to have a .0025% less chance of going wrong.

Consumer Reports even quit giving the numbers because the gaps have narrowed and the worst car today is still better than the best 15 years ago.
01-17-2018 10:51 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-17-2018 10:23 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  I'm no gearhead though I can definitely understand why some are, i's just not my hobby. Below is what I've owned in chronological order, most were passed down to me from family and/or bought for cheap.

1. 2007 Toyota Corolla: Was my older sister's car before she went to college. Functional, but no oomph in the engine and was very spartan in features. Baby blue isn't the number one color of choice for a 16-year old guy either.
2. 2004 Buick Century: Passed down from my grandma when my sister needed the Corolla back. I liked it more since I thought it was funny driving a stereotypical geezer car that had only 12K miles on it at 11 years of age.
3. 2008 Pontiac G6: Bought from my grandparents on the other side after that grandma quit driving. Wasn't amazing and it was sometimes a pain maintaining with Pontiac being gone and all, but it was a step up in features. Had a lot of sentimental value though, my late grandparents grew up dirt poor and went with inexpensive cars out of thriftiness but 'splurged' on this during retirement, and were proud to pass it on for it to work well for years thereafter.
4. 2017 Honda HR-V: I sold the G6 after moving to Chicago and owning a car became impractical at the time. After switching jobs I suddenly needed to drive to work again so I bought this in August - it's no dream machine, but the 4WD does well in bad weather, it heats well this time of year, and the bluetooth is real handy for podcasts.

My wife, before we got married, drove a 1998 stick-shift Corolla over 260k Miles.

That car was downright scary to run in but it mechanically outlasted the interior and it’s own paint.
01-17-2018 10:52 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-17-2018 10:52 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  
(01-17-2018 10:23 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  I'm no gearhead though I can definitely understand why some are, i's just not my hobby. Below is what I've owned in chronological order, most were passed down to me from family and/or bought for cheap.

My wife, before we got married, drove a 1998 stick-shift Corolla over 260k Miles.

That car was downright scary to run in but it mechanically outlasted the interior and it’s own paint.

Reminds me of a 1974 Camaro a friend had. Twice he was involved in collisions with 18 wheelers. You could see the pavement through the floorboards, but the thing was still running fine. It was built solid.

My Mom had a 1975 Lincoln, perhaps the biggest non-SUV ever built. The thing was a tank. And quiet and smooth. You could get up to 100 and think you were still doing 50.
01-18-2018 10:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.