Snoozy's Bookstore

Countdown To Kickoff:
Season Tickets

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Underneath Playoff glitz, a warning: College football could be headed into a ditch
Bookmark and Share
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Underneath Playoff glitz, a warning: College football could be headed into a ditch
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 05:23 PM by blazerjay.)
01-07-2018 02:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
RE: Underneath Playoff glitz, a warning: College football could be headed into a ditch
There are two financial models that college football could emulate. The NFL model where all teams benefit from league income so that small market teams like Green bay can remain competitive with big market teams like Dallas. Then there is the MLB model where the big market teams get very rich while small market teams essentially become part of their farm system.

The NCAA has chosen to copy the latter so that a few very wealthy programs compete yearly for the Playoff Championship and the rest are largely irrelevant. Note that there have been 36 spots in the National Championship games since 2000 and the same relatively few teams have played there regularly. This year they shut out undefeated UCF and in past years they shut out undefeated Boise State and TCU. The favored claim is "Who have they played?", but no one asks of the favored few "Who have you refused to play?"
01-07-2018 05:13 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
RE: Underneath Playoff glitz, a warning: College football could be headed into a ditch
(01-07-2018 05:13 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  There are two financial models that college football could emulate. The NFL model where all teams benefit from league income so that small market teams like Green bay can remain competitive with big market teams like Dallas. Then there is the MLB model where the big market teams get very rich while small market teams essentially become part of their farm system.

The NCAA has chosen to copy the latter so that a few very wealthy programs compete yearly for the Playoff Championship and the rest are largely irrelevant. Note that there have been 36 spots in the National Championship games since 2000 and the same relatively few teams have played there regularly. This year they shut out undefeated UCF and in past years they shut out undefeated Boise State and TCU. The favored claim is "Who have they played?", but no one asks of the favored few "Who have you refused to play?"

this might actually be the best post ive ever read from you
01-07-2018 05:16 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(01-07-2018 05:16 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  
(01-07-2018 05:13 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  There are two financial models that college football could emulate. The NFL model where all teams benefit from league income so that small market teams like Green bay can remain competitive with big market teams like Dallas. Then there is the MLB model where the big market teams get very rich while small market teams essentially become part of their farm system.

Is it a case of the more you agree with my message, the smarter my posts appear to be?
01-07-2018 05:24 PM

LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
(01-07-2018 05:24 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  
(01-07-2018 05:16 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  

Is it a case of the more you agree with my message, the smarter my posts appear to be?
No
01-07-2018 05:26 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Revert to group default

The only difference in option 2 & college football is that teams like the Brewers still have a chance at making the playoffs.
01-07-2018 09:52 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(01-07-2018 09:52 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  The only difference in option 2 & college football is that teams like the Brewers still have a chance at making the playoffs.

As with the NCAA FB Playoff NC game, there have been 36 slots since 2000 in the MLB World Series. How many of these slots were filled by small market teams? It may be that the numbers match up too often.
01-08-2018 12:20 AM

notnow Offline
Special Teams

In any major sport, if you win your division or conference or league, you then move on to a championship. College Football is the only exception.
01-08-2018 03:39 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Heisman

Survivor Runner-up
(01-08-2018 12:20 AM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  
(01-07-2018 09:52 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  The only difference in option 2 & college football is that teams like the Brewers still have a chance at making the playoffs.

As with the NCAA FB Playoff NC game, there have been 36 slots since 2000 in the MLB World Series. How many of these slots were filled by small market teams? It may be that the numbers match up too often.

It’s hard to answer what exactly a small market team is, but the answer is much higher than 1.
01-08-2018 01:45 PM
UABFRENCHY Online
Heisman

Donators
(01-08-2018 03:39 AM)notnow Wrote:  In any major sport, if you win your division or conference or league, you then move on to a championship. College Football is the only exception.
and figure skating
01-08-2018 01:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.