RE: Big home run
It’s worked out well for Maryland
01-07-2018 08:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Norm DaNiner Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Charlotte
College sports in general has lost its' soul. The rivalries are gone for the most part. The conferences (including the one I follow CUSA) make zero geographical sense. I am happy for Maryland. The ACC is full of the likes Louisville, Miami, Florida State and UNC, not exactly the role model of the "right way" to do college athletics. It is comical to watch the hypocrisy that comes out some of these universities and the ACC office in Greensboro. There is one primary driver behind college athletics and it is not education, the athletes themselves or alumni/fans.. it is.....$$$. That does not just apply to the ACC but just about every conference outside the Ivy and Patriot Leagues.

College athletics needs to hit the reset button. If ESPN continues to struggle it may just happen.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 09:02 AM by Norm DaNiner.)
01-07-2018 09:01 AM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Maryland missed the tournament their last four years in the ACC. Hmm. I would rather have them in the ACC than Louisville, yes, but it’s not like the ACC lost Carolina, Duke, or even Virginia or State. The author is going back to the 40’s for violations and shady tactics? Um, Maryland was the poster child for that behavior! Interesting topic, but a definite homer piece.
01-07-2018 09:17 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(01-07-2018 08:38 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  It’s worked out well for Maryland

In some ways, but for Maryland hoops fans - and as the article notes, in terms of passion Maryland is a basketball school and always will be - the B1G will never be the same as playing Virginia and the Carolina schools. Those were 60+ year hoops rivalries that were lost. They face the same problem Nebraska faces on the other end - losing all those generations-old Big 8 rivalries in football to get that B1G money.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 09:40 AM by quo vadis.)
01-07-2018 09:39 AM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
How many OOC games do they schedule vs their ACC rivals?
One of the reasons for leaving was the fifteen team league .
They were not hosting all the traditional ACC schools already.
Nebraska misses OU and UT but that is probably it. Iowa or Iowa St who cares . Playing OU or Texas almost every year would fix that. Maryland should look to schedule UNC,Duke and Virginia at least one a year if possible.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
01-07-2018 11:14 AM
Advertisement

CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
The fact that Feinstein actually wrote that "it was Louisville basketball that Swofford and company were courting" is laughable when every major move for the last 20 years has been completely motivated by capitalizing on football and football markets. Not to mention it is completely ignorant of how things actually played out in the ACC when UL was actually invited. It's a damn shame, as he used to be one of the best, but is either intentionally or unintentionally obtuse to college athletics outside of the world of college hoops, or just engaging in being an absolute shill.

Scandals and all, it is hard to argue that the ACC didn't upgrade athletically with UL. And the ACC, like all athletic conferences outside the Ivy, is in the business of athletics and making money through athletics, and not anything else. Losing Maryland was costly to the ACC primarily because it opened the door to the eastern media markets, which the ACC had designs on monopolizing since at least 2003, to another power conference; not because of any prowess of Maryland athletics itself or the loss of any particularly significant high profile rivalry games for any other members of the conference.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 11:35 AM by CrazyPaco.)
01-07-2018 11:28 AM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-07-2018 09:01 AM)Norm DaNiner Wrote:  College sports in general has lost its' soul. The rivalries are gone for the most part. The conferences (including the one I follow CUSA) make zero geographical sense. I am happy for Maryland. The ACC is full of the likes Louisville, Miami, Florida State and UNC, not exactly the role model of the "right way" to do college athletics. It is comical to watch the hypocrisy that comes out some of these universities and the ACC office in Greensboro. There is one primary driver behind college athletics and it is not education, the athletes themselves or alumni/fans.. it is.....$$$. That does not just apply to the ACC but just about every conference outside the Ivy and Patriot Leagues.

College athletics needs to hit the reset button. If ESPN continues to struggle it may just happen.

$ applies to the Patriot League now too. It has long abandoned any claim otherwise.
01-07-2018 11:34 AM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(01-07-2018 09:01 AM)Norm DaNiner Wrote:  College sports in general has lost its' soul.
Sorry, but it never had a soul.
Read Dave Revsine's book.
01-07-2018 02:06 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(01-07-2018 11:28 AM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  The fact that Feinstein actually wrote that "it was Louisville basketball that Swofford and company were courting" is laughable when every major move for the last 20 years has been completely motivated by capitalizing on football and football markets. Not to mention it is completely ignorant of how things actually played out in the ACC when UL was actually invited. It's a damn shame, as he used to be one of the best, but is either intentionally or unintentionally obtuse to college athletics outside of the world of college hoops, or just engaging in being an absolute shill.

Scandals and all, it is hard to argue that the ACC didn't upgrade athletically with UL. And the ACC, like all athletic conferences outside the Ivy, is in the business of athletics and making money through athletics, and not anything else. Losing Maryland was costly to the ACC primarily because it opened the door to the eastern media markets, which the ACC had designs on monopolizing since at least 2003, to another power conference; not because of any prowess of Maryland athletics itself or the loss of any particularly significant high profile rivalry games for any other members of the conference.

There were some strategic aspects in taking Louisville as well. The Big 12 might have found some added stability if Cincinnati and Louisville had ever been taken. By taking Louisville the ACC not only improved their athletics, but they essentially removed the obviously better of the two potential candidates for the Big 12 essentially sealing their position as the less viable conference. Until the revenue gap between the Big 12 and ACC is closed it is important perceptually to be the more stable. I think ESPN realized this and last year's entourage of would be applicants to the Big 12 proves this move to have been advantageous in that regard.
01-07-2018 02:21 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(01-07-2018 02:21 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-07-2018 11:28 AM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  The fact that Feinstein actually wrote that "it was Louisville basketball that Swofford and company were courting" is laughable when every major move for the last 20 years has been completely motivated by capitalizing on football and football markets. Not to mention it is completely ignorant of how things actually played out in the ACC when UL was actually invited. It's a damn shame, as he used to be one of the best, but is either intentionally or unintentionally obtuse to college athletics outside of the world of college hoops, or just engaging in being an absolute shill.

There were some strategic aspects in taking Louisville as well. The Big 12 might have found some added stability if Cincinnati and Louisville had ever been taken. By taking Louisville the ACC not only improved their athletics, but they essentially removed the obviously better of the two potential candidates for the Big 12 essentially sealing their position as the less viable conference. Until the revenue gap between the Big 12 and ACC is closed it is important perceptually to be the more stable. I think ESPN realized this and last year's entourage of would be applicants to the Big 12 proves this move to have been advantageous in that regard.

The revenue gap is a joke. Big 12 viewership> ACC. When you have schools like Boise State that have more viewers for ratings than several ACC schools? Than, you do have a serious question in why give the ACC their own network when several of their schools at times could only garner a 500K ratings. It does not help that ACC when you have schools in the ACC keep violating the NCAA's rules and only get slapped on the wrist. Miami Florida and the UNC should both be on death penalties for their recent actions. Louisville basketball should also get the death penalty. Right now, we are rewarding schools to do bad things, but punish schools doing the right things.

As for Boise State? They should be making the same amount of money the ACC, Big 12, Big 10, PAC 12 and SEC for their ratings in football. Especially in bowl games. As it is, the fans are being driven away from the P5 schools and going towards the top G5 schools. The only way to do this is to do a collective bargaining for all D1 schools and spread the wealth equally.
01-07-2018 02:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn

Well, that and FSU/Clemson had made arrangements to leave if they didn't get the football school of their choice. It's really no more complicated than that - with no GOR in place at the time the football schools had a figurative gun to the conference's head.
01-07-2018 02:38 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Maryland will be back in the ACC within 20-30 years, imo. Can’t see them in the B1G lasting more than a generation.
01-07-2018 02:40 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(01-07-2018 02:40 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Maryland will be back in the ACC within 20-30 years, imo. Can’t see them in the B1G lasting more than a generation.

It is possible there will be some type of reorganization from the Northeastern schools (Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Penn State, Boston College, UConn), but - as with everything - money will drive the movement. With cable being non-existent in 30 years, it's very possible we will see more geographic conferences from the non-blue blood power program.

Maryland and Rutgers weren't just home runs for the B1G, they were a grand slam. Getting the access to NYC/DC, along with the recruiting areas and like-minded land grant institution-statuses were all perfect fits. Long-term, the B1G undoubtedly still has its sights set on Virginia, UNC, Georgia Tech and Florida State. They got the Northeast to in 2011; in the 2020's I anticipate them wanting to move South.
01-07-2018 02:55 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(01-07-2018 02:38 PM)Bogg Wrote:  

Well, that and FSU/Clemson had made arrangements to leave if they didn't get the football school of their choice. It's really no more complicated than that - with no GOR in place at the time the football schools had a figurative gun to the conference's head.

Well that's the sanitized public version of the story, so yes.
01-07-2018 03:03 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
(01-07-2018 02:36 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  There were some strategic aspects in taking Louisville as well. The
The revenue gap is a joke. Big 12 viewership> ACC. When you have schools like Boise State that have more viewers for ratings than several ACC schools? Than, you do have a serious question in why give the ACC their own network when several of their schools at times could only garner a 500K ratings. It does not help that ACC when you have schools in the ACC keep violating the NCAA's rules and only get slapped on the wrist. Miami Florida and the UNC should both be on death penalties for their recent actions. Louisville basketball should also get the death penalty. Right now, we are rewarding schools to do bad things, but punish schools doing the right things.

As for Boise State? They should be making the same amount of money the ACC, Big 12, Big 10, PAC 12 and SEC for their ratings in football. Especially in bowl games. As it is, the fans are being driven away from the P5 schools and going towards the top G5 schools. The only way to do this is to do a collective bargaining for all D1 schools and spread the wealth equally.
There seem to be a ridiculous amount of questionable claims made in this post. Could you please support something with a link or something credible?

I say that because your assertions don’t seem to jibe with the actions of everyone involved.

Why would ESPN choose to enter into a long-term contract with the ACC over the B12 if there was no financial incentive to do so? That doesn’t make any sense to me. Are you suggesting that ESPN hates to make money?

Also, why are the Big 12 schools on the brink of Civil War? All of these things seem to be at direct odds with your point of view, and I’m trying to figure out why?
01-07-2018 03:44 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

(01-07-2018 02:36 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  As for Boise State? They should be making the same amount of money the ACC, Big 12, Big 10, PAC 12 and SEC for their ratings in football. Especially in bowl games. As it is, the fans are being driven away from the P5 schools and going towards the top G5 schools. The only way to do this is to do a collective bargaining for all D1 schools and spread the wealth equally.

This is also an extremely true strange position. Are you honestly suggesting that the the Ohio States, Alabamas and Notre Dames of the world are going to split their money evenly with the likes of Boise State?

You don’t live in California or one of the states which recently legalized recreational marijuana, do you?
01-07-2018 03:52 PM
Heisman

(01-07-2018 02:55 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  It is possible there will be some type of reorganization from the Northeastern schools (Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Penn State, Boston College, UConn), but - as with everything - money will drive the movement. With cable being non-existent in 30 years, it's very possible we will see more geographic conferences from the non-blue blood power program.

Maryland and Rutgers weren't just home runs for the B1G, they were a grand slam. Getting the access to NYC/DC, along with the recruiting areas and like-minded land grant institution-statuses were all perfect fits. Long-term, the B1G undoubtedly still has its sights set on Virginia, UNC, Georgia Tech and Florida State. They got the Northeast to in 2011; in the 2020's I anticipate them wanting to move South.

This is an unusual post as well. On one hand, cable will not be a factor in 30 years, but on the other hand, the Big Ten was brilliant to get into the New York and DC cable markets.

They tried to go south this time but we’re rebuffed. According to Sports Illustrated, Maryland and Ruckers were not plans A and B but somewhere further down the line. Frankly, that makes a lot of sense because they are not nearly as valuable as many of the other properties they would’ve been after.
01-07-2018 04:04 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
If the Big Ten could have a redo on expansion I'd want to see them bring in 5 of the old Big 8 schools: Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa St, and Oklahoma

You still get conference expansion but the league stays Midwestern and mostly
AAU. Some rivalries get disrupted but a lot stay intact.
01-07-2018 04:57 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(01-07-2018 09:39 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(01-07-2018 08:38 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  It’s worked out well for Maryland

In some ways, but for Maryland hoops fans - and as the article notes, in terms of passion Maryland is a basketball school and always will be - the B1G will never be the same as playing Virginia and the Carolina schools. Those were 60+ year hoops rivalries that were lost. They face the same problem Nebraska faces on the other end - losing all those generations-old Big 8 rivalries in football to get that B1G money.

But that's the great thing about realignment, it creates NEW rivalries. In another 5- 10 years, the kids attending or wanting to attend Nebraska will be too young to remember their old rivalries, in some cases, they probably weren't even born the last time the Husker/Jayhawk game was a "rivalry".

Time heals all wounds.
01-07-2018 05:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.