Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Game Day: Rochester
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Not much to say about this game other than it is the return of Blake Brown.

Blake wasn't much of a scoring threat at EMU and isn't a scoring threat at Rochester. I went looking through box scores and couldn't find him scoring any points (I looked at say a half dozen games).

I just hope JT4 doesn't go for a bunch of highlight dunks today. Save them for Ball State. 03-lmfao

Rochester has played a few common opponents pretty much as expected:

http://www.rochestercollegewarriors.com/schedule/15/1
12-29-2017 06:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: Game Day: Rochester
I disagree with playing such a weak team before the start of the mac season even after playing a tough d1. I think it weakens the team and gives a false sence of accomplishment. You dont get stronger my playing the weak.
12-29-2017 08:25 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(12-29-2017 08:25 AM)emussuperfan Wrote:  I disagree with playing such a weak team before the start of the mac season even after playing a tough d1. I think it weakens the team and gives a false sence of accomplishment. You dont get stronger my playing the weak.

Super, scheduling is so difficult between the holidays.

We don't want to travel and a local non-D-I team is the best we can do.

What other choice do we have? The only other choice would be NOT to play a game and I think that might be the worse of the two options.

Rich schools, looking at you, MSU, can host a team desperate for $. They are playing this game Sunday:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...=400986480

I'm reminded of the old saying: "Money talks and bull s*it walks." MSU gets to play a very weak D-I team while we have to play a non-D-I team.

Maybe if we could afford say 50K Savannah State might have played us today, but is it better to pay 50K for them or say 10K for Rochester???
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 09:38 AM by emu steve.)
12-29-2017 09:35 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(12-29-2017 09:35 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(12-29-2017 08:25 AM)emussuperfan Wrote:  I disagree with playing such a weak team before the start of the mac season even after playing a tough d1. I think it weakens the team and gives a false sence of accomplishment. You dont get stronger my playing the weak.

What other choice do we have? The only other choice would be NOT to play a game and I think that might be the worse of the two options.

Rich schools, looking at you, MSU, can host a team desperate for $. They are playing this game Sunday:

I'm reminded of the old saying: "Money talks and bull s*it walks." MSU gets to play a very weak D-I team while we have to play a non-D-I team.

Maybe if we could afford say 50K Savannah State might have played us today, but is it better to pay 50K for them or say 10K for Rochester???

I'm with Super. Nothing gained by EMU playing Rochester except losing out on $10k and developing bad habits. EMU should have saved their dollars and scrimmage Oakland, UofD or themselves.
12-29-2017 10:32 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(12-29-2017 10:32 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(12-29-2017 09:35 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

I'm with Super. Nothing gained by EMU playing Rochester except losing out on $10k and developing bad habits. EMU should have saved their dollars and scrimmage Oakland, UofD or themselves.

That is/was a legitimate option. EMU has played the required 6 OOC home games so the option is playing a Rochester OR not scheduling a game for 6 days.

I would like to see Murphy start subs to start the 2nd half. Literally, we win the 1st half and they need to win the 2nd half. I'd start King ( C ), Groce (SF), Ellison (PG), McAdoo (SG), etc.

Literally put pressure on the 2nd teamers to play like it is a game that they should go on and play and win.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 11:01 AM by emu steve.)
12-29-2017 10:59 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Groce out, precaution, hand. Rest ready to go.

Rochester loves the trey. Game could be more interesting than some might think.
12-29-2017 01:59 PM
Advertisement

EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

(12-29-2017 01:59 PM)emu steve Wrote:  Groce out, precaution, hand. Rest ready to go.

Rochester loves the trey. Game could be more interesting than some might think.

Has a splint on his middle finger, left hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-29-2017 02:16 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

I missed the first few minutes. Who's the guy doing color on ESPN3?
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 02:29 PM by FrankAnderson.)
12-29-2017 02:29 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

Ah, Reggie Butler.
12-29-2017 02:39 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Minnie gets the SC not #10 highlight. Missing a slam dunk.
12-29-2017 02:40 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

Who is this Agba for Rochester? #21. Looks like he's 40 years old.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 02:42 PM by FrankAnderson.)
12-29-2017 02:41 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

Not a big crowd but bigger than I'd think.

I have a feeling the crowds during the conference season will be pretty good.

I have a feeling that the fan base has high expectations for this season.
12-29-2017 02:51 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Not too many game stories in this game, but Terry Harris is playing well off the bench.

As is typically the case, Bond is driving RC crazy with his steals. Minnie too.
12-29-2017 03:02 PM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

Pathetic game to watch. Should save the money.
12-29-2017 03:39 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Good game for the kids to play. The regulars got their work in but rested a lot.

Pretty much what I would have expected with Ball State coming up Tuesday.

As Super indicated, not a great game to watch. Mostly watch for highlights. Lot of blocks. A few dunks. A not great missed breakaway dunk.
12-29-2017 04:05 PM
Ken Barna Online
All American

Dear Friends,
The fact that the entire second half was played with second string players with a few first teamers in the mix, was good to see. It was nice to see players that normally do not get into most games. They were rough around the edges, but were able to hang with what I would presume Rochester's first team.
Our substitutes need to be better foul shooters, but I still liked to see them play.
12-29-2017 04:18 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(12-29-2017 04:18 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Friends,
The fact that the entire second half was played with second string players with a few first teamers in the mix, was good to see. It was nice to see players that normally do not get into most games. They were rough around the edges, but were able to hang with what I would presume Rochester's first team.
Our substitutes need to be better foul shooters, but I still liked to see them play.

Ken, I agree with you.

In the OOC season one can say each game (or set of games) has a purpose.

Lot of games need to be D-I W's, e.g., Ark State, Howard, S. Fl., N. FL, etc. esp if at home.

Other games need to be possible wins such as Oakland, LBSU, etc.

Some games prepare for top flight competition, e.g., Indiana and Syracuse.

This non-D-I game was an opportunity to stay at home, a chance to rest the starters and develop the kids. Game kind of felt like the last regular season game for a team headed to the NFL playoffs or the last NFL pre-season game. Understand the nature of that game. Not try to pad stats, run up the score, etc.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 04:39 PM by emu steve.)
12-29-2017 04:36 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

I am ok with this lower division game right before MAC play. I don’t think one game is going to psychologically condition the team to play less competively. Conversely, I think going into the MAC with a 3 game losing streak if they played a third tough game in a row might actually have a poor psychological affect on the team. Plus it gives some rest time to starters and in game development time for the reserves.

4 of these lower division games is too much, should keep it at 2 or 3 a season. But timing of this one is not a problem (other than being boring for some of the fans). Only my opinion of course, and I respect/understand others sentiment on this.
12-29-2017 07:16 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

One more note on this game, I have not been able to make one all year due to conflicts with work and kids activities. So with the day off for the holiday, I was super excited to attend one.

But when I got there, my son hopped out of the car right away but my daughter was just stayed sitting in her seat looking out of it. I assumed she was tired so I thought I’d give her a shoulder ride to the game (a little old for this now that she is in kindergarten, but seemed the fastest way to get us in the arena with the circumstances).

Anyway, when I reached out to pick her up, she vomited all over the car and herself and a little on me. So we headed straight back home. I know too much information. But I am bummed to have missed yet another game!!

03-puke03-puke03-puke
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 07:32 PM by RamyEMU.)
12-29-2017 07:29 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(12-29-2017 07:16 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  I am ok with this lower division game right before MAC play. I don’t think one game is going to psychologically condition the team to play less competively. Conversely, I think going into the MAC with a 3 game losing streak if they played a third tough game in a row might actually have a poor psychological affect on the team. Plus it gives some rest time to starters and in game development time for the reserves.

4 of these lower division games is too much, should keep it at 2 or 3 a season. But timing of this one is not a problem (other than being boring for some of the fans). Only my opinion of course, and I respect/understand others sentiment on this.

Most MAC teams are playing cupcakes today (couple are not, though) for the reasons you indicate. Lot of schools most have not heard of.

Most MAC teams would like to be at home, vs. an easy opponent. Kind of like a hard practice.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb..._/group/14
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 08:05 PM by emu steve.)
12-29-2017 08:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.