Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A whole week since a new realignment thread? I'm slipping.
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
A whole week since a new realignment thread? I'm slipping.
I figured I would lay out a list of priorities that I think the SEC should consider when selecting expansion candidates.

Ultimately, the moves have to pad the bottom line. No-brainer there. There are various ways to pad the bottom line though and so I'd like to outline a few of those.

1. More and better football match-ups.

Football revenue still pays most of the bills so you need to increase the overall quality of the match-ups. There aren't a lot of schools that do this for the SEC as it's already a league full of quality and passionate fan bases.

2. New markets

While TV's market model is fading, there is still value in adding new markets because it creates interest among locals that otherwise might not be watching your games.

3. Basketball quality.

It's true that basketball doesn't make as much money as football and it's really not even close, but there are arbitrary reasons the disparity is so significant. We need to prepare for a future where the NCAA basketball tournament isn't the biggest game in town. Part of that will be making sure we add better basketball products and part of that will be ensuring we're at the forefront of creating a new system.

Also, think of basketball as a different division within a company rather than a separate entity.

4. Network profitability and integrity

Especially as we move towards a future where streaming is probably the predominant method of delivery, we need to consider what will make the SEC Network profitable. A big part of that is just making sure we've got quality content throughout the year. Football season, basketball season, and Spring sports season...

We need to make sure what we're broadcasting is watchable to large numbers of people.

5. Long term stability and flexibility

I think this is maybe an underrated priority, but we need to make sure we're in a position that both prevents other leagues from picking off our members as well as ensures we don't have to bow to every whim of ESPN or any other network. Creating as much economic might as possible is really the way to do this.

6. Academic integrity

Adding schools that improve our academic standing is a good way to make sure everyone sticks together as there are benefits to being judged according to the company you keep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I humbly submit then that this pretty much does it...

West: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas
Central: Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss
South: Mississippi State, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
East: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, West Virginia
12-28-2017 03:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: A whole week since a new realignment thread? I'm slipping.
(12-28-2017 03:07 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I figured I would lay out a list of priorities that I think the SEC should consider when selecting expansion candidates.

Ultimately, the moves have to pad the bottom line. No-brainer there. There are various ways to pad the bottom line though and so I'd like to outline a few of those.

1. More and better football match-ups.

Football revenue still pays most of the bills so you need to increase the overall quality of the match-ups. There aren't a lot of schools that do this for the SEC as it's already a league full of quality and passionate fan bases.

2. New markets

While TV's market model is fading, there is still value in adding new markets because it creates interest among locals that otherwise might not be watching your games.

3. Basketball quality.

It's true that basketball doesn't make as much money as football and it's really not even close, but there are arbitrary reasons the disparity is so significant. We need to prepare for a future where the NCAA basketball tournament isn't the biggest game in town. Part of that will be making sure we add better basketball products and part of that will be ensuring we're at the forefront of creating a new system.

Also, think of basketball as a different division within a company rather than a separate entity.

4. Network profitability and integrity

Especially as we move towards a future where streaming is probably the predominant method of delivery, we need to consider what will make the SEC Network profitable. A big part of that is just making sure we've got quality content throughout the year. Football season, basketball season, and Spring sports season...

We need to make sure what we're broadcasting is watchable to large numbers of people.

5. Long term stability and flexibility

I think this is maybe an underrated priority, but we need to make sure we're in a position that both prevents other leagues from picking off our members as well as ensures we don't have to bow to every whim of ESPN or any other network. Creating as much economic might as possible is really the way to do this.

6. Academic integrity

Adding schools that improve our academic standing is a good way to make sure everyone sticks together as there are benefits to being judged according to the company you keep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I humbly submit then that this pretty much does it...

West: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas
Central: Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss
South: Mississippi State, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
East: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, West Virginia

Okay that 20 team lineup is good, but is it too fat?

West: Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas

Central: Alabama, Louisiana St., Mississippi, Miss St., Texas A&M, Vanderbilt

East: Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee

That's a lot leaner without Tech and W.V.U..

But even better would be:

Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas

Alabama, L.S.U., Mississippi, Texas A&M

Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina

Auburn, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Now that would be very lean indeed. But I do think the groupings for 18 would be much better.
12-28-2017 03:58 PM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
8 x 8 plus 1 ind.
12-29-2017 10:20 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(12-29-2017 10:20 AM)XLance Wrote:  8 x 8 plus 1 ind.

Much more my speed!

PAC: Washington, Washington St, Oregon, Oregon St, California, Stanford, USC, UCLA

SWC: Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Texas A&M, Utah, Arizona, Arizona St

Big 8: Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa St, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas St, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St

ACC: North Carolina, North Carolina St, Duke, Wake Forest, Clemson, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland

SEC: LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee

Eastern: Miami, Florida St, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Louisville, Arkansas

B1G: Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St

Northern: Northwestern, Purdue, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Penn St, Rutgers, Syracuse, Boston College

Independent: Notre Dame
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 11:34 AM by BePcr07.)
12-29-2017 11:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.