Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question - Does the Sun Belt look to create or move a bowl to Atlanta?
Bookmark and Share
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
I think moving one of the Alabama bowls or trying to create a bowl in Atlanta with Ga State Stadium. I think if the SBC offered its Champ to play the ACC as 10th bowl every year (Currently only has 9 bowls every other year) Just a thought.
12-07-2017 05:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
RE: Question - Does the Sun Belt look to create or move a bowl to Atlanta?
once GSU Stadium is fully upgraded, I'm sure it can handle hosting a bowl game with 50,000+ capacity. On PT, Ben Moore said something about GSU interested in hosting a bowl in 10yrs or so (that guy is usually right about insider info). Don't think it was a SBC bowl though.
12-07-2017 06:22 PM
NewJersey GATA Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
(12-07-2017 05:52 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  I think moving one of the Alabama bowls or trying to create a bowl in Atlanta with Ga State Stadium. I think if the SBC offered its Champ to play the ACC as 10th bowl every year (Currently only has 9 bowls every other year) Just a thought.

I think the Georgia Dome (or whatever it’s called now) would be better location. December football games in warm dome is always a better alternative
12-07-2017 06:33 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
15k to 25k in a 70k seat stadium?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
12-07-2017 08:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(12-07-2017 05:52 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  I think moving one of the Alabama bowls or trying to create a bowl in Atlanta with Ga State Stadium. I think if the SBC offered its Champ to play the ACC as 10th bowl every year (Currently only has 9 bowls every other year) Just a thought.

If its against a P5, then sure..make an offer. I've got a better idea than taking one of the Alabama bowls....

Trade our slot in the Tucson Bowl for an Atlanta Bowl slot. I'd give up a MWC matchup on a cable channel no one gets and where we have no alumni for a game versus the ACC in Atlanta.
12-07-2017 08:56 PM
Advertisement

Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
(12-07-2017 08:56 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

If its against a P5, then sure..make an offer. I've got a better idea than taking one of the Alabama bowls....

Trade our slot in the Tucson Bowl for an Atlanta Bowl slot. I'd give up a MWC matchup on a cable channel no one gets and where we have no alumni for a game versus the ACC in Atlanta.

Yes, after the contracts with our current bowl lineup is up, I hope the Arizona Bowl goes to C-USA and we can replace that with a new game in Atlanta, Charlotte, Conway, or even Charleston. Maybe we should even try to get one in Texas, too, to balance out the interests of schools on both ends of the footprint.

Of course, when you're the Sun Belt, you just get the best you can get.

Probably as important as getting a game georaphically close is getting games not so soon before or after Christmas.
12-07-2017 09:04 PM
ChattValleyTrojan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Troy and Auburn
(12-07-2017 09:04 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  

Yes, after the contracts with our current bowl lineup is up, I hope the Arizona Bowl goes to C-USA and we can replace that with a new game in Atlanta, Charlotte, Conway, or even Charleston. Maybe we should even try to get one in Texas, too, to balance out the interests of schools on both ends of the footprint.

Probably as important as getting a game georaphically close is getting games not so soon before or after Christmas.
Add Nashville to that list. I'm hoping Nola lives up to the good reputation and not the bad.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
12-07-2017 09:24 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

(12-07-2017 09:24 PM)ChattValleyTrojan Wrote:  

Add Nashville to that list. I'm hoping Nola lives up to the good reputation and not the bad.

Nashville is a great idea. I love that city. Hold it at Vandy's stadium.
12-07-2017 09:40 PM
asuwon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Arkansas State
(12-07-2017 09:04 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  Probably as important as getting a game georaphically close is getting games not so soon before or after Christmas.

That's what used to be so great about the bowl in Mobile, before they moved the date up.
12-07-2017 10:15 PM
Advertisement

Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

With three members added to the northeast of our current bowl ties since Camellia and Cure bowls were added it would make since to shift tie ins eastward.
12-07-2017 10:30 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Just a reminder. The Peach Bowl struggled to survive for many years. Part of the problem was so many of the games were played in horrible weather. Moving indoors is when the game really took off.
12-08-2017 01:04 AM
AppinATL Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: AppState
(12-07-2017 06:33 PM)NewJersey GATA Wrote:  

I think the Georgia Dome (or whatever it’s called now) would be better location. December football games in warm dome is always a better alternative

The Georgia Dome is now a pile of rubble. Remember the whole MARTA bus thing? Or did you mean Mercedes Benz Stadium? I like the idea of the GSU stadium hosting a bowl game for the Belt, though. I dont know about a tie in with the ACC.
12-08-2017 07:54 AM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

My hope was that The Citadel would rebuild their stadium to around 25K, but that isn't going to happen. They replaced the old pressbox side in 2005 to seat 12,000 and some suites. They demolished the opposite side this past summer and unveiled plans for a smaller 15K seat facility. Can't really blame them since they average just over 12,500 per game. A bowl game in Charleston has been discussed off and on since the late 80's. It would be a great location.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017 09:33 AM by AppManDG.)
12-08-2017 09:04 AM
Advertisement

msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-08-2017 01:04 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Just a reminder. The Peach Bowl struggled to survive for many years. Part of the problem was so many of the games were played in horrible weather. Moving indoors is when the game really took off.

Georgia Dome did help but the the ACC had a tie-in with Peach Bowl for years until the CFP. Atlanta is no worse than Annapolis, MD in December. I know the ACC fans love Atlanta. In addition, the ACC currently will not play a game play a primary tie-in game pre Christmas. That is the condition for the ACC to play in St. Pete when it is primary tie-in. I know I would go to Atlanta before I ever go to Detroit, set outside in a few Peach Bowls in my life. Imagine the ticket sales for Duke vs App State in Atlanta instead of Detroit which is Duke vs NIU?

Hoping for 2020 8-10 slots may look like this for the ACC using Mid-Tier bowls and ACC placing teams method.

Military vs AAC
Indy vs MWC
Atlanta vs SB
12-08-2017 09:10 AM
Bobcat2013 Online
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(12-07-2017 08:33 PM)panama Wrote:  15k to 25k in a 70k seat stadium?

I thought they can drop curtains over the top sections and cut the capacity in half for soccer games? Seems like they could do the same for football.
12-08-2017 09:30 AM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
They should 15-25K is 15-25K in any stadium. People get to hung up on what it looks like, if we can get 5K-10K more making a bowl based on location we should.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017 10:04 AM by JCGSU.)
12-08-2017 10:03 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(12-07-2017 09:40 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 09:24 PM)ChattValleyTrojan Wrote:  

Nashville is a great idea. I love that city. Hold it at Vandy's stadium.

There might be a new MLS stadium coming to Nashville. If that occurs, it could be a good potential location for a smaller bowl.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017 11:41 AM by Attackcoog.)
12-08-2017 11:39 AM
Advertisement

timber Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GSU
(12-07-2017 08:33 PM)panama Wrote:  15k to 25k in a 70k seat stadium?

42,500 with the curtains. Still a bit too big though.
12-08-2017 10:10 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(12-08-2017 09:04 AM)AppManDG Wrote:  My hope was that The Citadel would rebuild their stadium to around 25K, but that isn't going to happen. They replaced the old pressbox side in 2005 to seat 12,000 and some suites. They demolished the opposite side this past summer and unveiled plans for a smaller 15K seat facility. Can't really blame them since they average just over 12,500 per game. A bowl game in Charleston has been discussed off and on since the late 80's. It would be a great location.

The problem for the Citadel is that they could build a 25k stadium, but they'd never fill it for football, and they're never going FBS (too few students to even attempt it).

Asking the Citadel to spend 20-40 million minimum on an expansion of a stadium for the sole purpose of providing a game location for schools other than The Citadel is not exactly a sound decision for the Board there.
12-09-2017 01:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.