Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Any news on the UTEP coaching front?
Bookmark and Share
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Any news on the UTEP coaching front?
UTEP got rid of their coach before most schools and those schools have filled their empty HC vacancies, yet I haven't seen anything regarding what's going on at UTEP.
I know UTEP recently hired a new AD, but it's time to get the show on the road w/ that early signing period weeks away
12-05-2017 05:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
RE: Any news on the UTEP coaching front?
(12-05-2017 05:46 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  UTEP got rid of their coach before most schools and those schools have filled their empty HC vacancies, yet I haven't seen anything regarding what's going on at UTEP.
I know UTEP recently hired a new AD, but it's time to get the show on the road w/ that early signing period weeks away

UTEP athletics should be in charge of national security, no leaks to speak of.

The current speculation is that K. C. Keeler of SHSU is the top candidate and that he will wait until his FCS playoff run is over before formally interviewing. No one knows for sure. Early espn reports were before our AD was hired and they said Yurcich, OC at Okla St was the top candidate. If the wait is for Keeler, then it could be January because that is when the FCS champ game is held.
12-06-2017 07:59 AM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

(12-06-2017 07:59 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 05:46 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  UTEP got rid of their coach before most schools and those schools have filled their empty HC vacancies, yet I haven't seen anything regarding what's going on at UTEP.

UTEP athletics should be in charge of national security, no leaks to speak of.

The current speculation is that K. C. Keeler of SHSU is the top candidate and that he will wait until his FCS playoff run is over before formally interviewing. No one knows for sure. Early espn reports were before our AD was hired and they said Yurcich, OC at Okla St was the top candidate. If the wait is for Keeler, then it could be January because that is when the FCS champ game is held.

if UTEP is going to wait that long y'all better hope it's to hire Keeler
12-06-2017 09:50 AM
MGNation92 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNT
I'm surprised nobody has gone after Colby Carthel yet. Dude has been killing it at A&M Commerce
12-06-2017 10:35 AM
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
Word is leaking that the position has been filled. No word yet on who though. Expect the name to be announced shortly.
12-06-2017 04:43 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

Dana Dimel. UTEP blows it with this hire. Don’t like it at all.
12-06-2017 05:30 PM
Advertisement

Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
I'm sorry. The name doesn't ring familiar with me. Who's Dana Dimel?
12-06-2017 05:36 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

Currently he was the Kansas St OC. Has previously unsuccessfully coached UH. Had a good run with Wyoming prior to that.
12-06-2017 05:39 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

Okay. Thank you, JC. I'm sorry you didn't get the HC you wanted. We went through that at UAB when we thought we had Jimbo Fisher and got stuck with Neil Callaway instead. Who were you hoping for instead of Dimel?
12-06-2017 05:42 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

For what it's worth, hope he has a good run with UTEP until y'all cross swords with UAB, of course.
12-06-2017 05:43 PM
Franko Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
(12-06-2017 05:39 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  Currently he was the Kansas St OC. Has previously unsuccessfully coached UH. Had a good run with Wyoming prior to that.
8-26 the 3 years at Houston. The only winless campaign was in his middle year of 2001. Looks like he recruited well at Houston but the W's didn't come until Art Briles took over. Had a pretty good stint at Wyoming 22-13 in 3 years. 55 is not that old but I would not consider him one of the up and coming young innovative coaches out there but that doesn't always mean a trend will continue. I would have apprehensions too as a Miners fan.
12-06-2017 05:46 PM
Advertisement

JCMiner Offline
All American

(12-06-2017 05:42 PM)Matrix Wrote:  Okay. Thank you, JC. I'm sorry you didn't get the HC you wanted. We went through that at UAB when we thought we had Jimbo Fisher and got stuck with Neil Callaway instead. Who were you hoping for instead of Dimel?

Our top three were Houston from James Madison, Keeler from Sam Houston, or Yurcich from Oklahoma St.
12-06-2017 05:50 PM
uhcoog27 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH
UTEP just went 0-12. So they hired a coach who also had a winless season in his last head coaching gig? Makes no sense. I can think of 500 coordinators who would be better suited for the job. Totally baffled by this decision, Miners.
12-06-2017 05:54 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
(12-06-2017 05:54 PM)uhcoog27 Wrote:  UTEP just went 0-12. So they hired a coach who also had a winless season in his last head coaching gig? Makes no sense. I can think of 500 coordinators who would be better suited for the job. Totally baffled by this decision, Miners.

USM had a HC go 0-12 in 2012. I can't imagine the shock if I ever saw his name even mentioned for a HC job now. Much less actually getting the job. I have no idea what UTEP is thinking.
12-06-2017 06:26 PM
herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall & Liberty
WTF? I'm pissed for UTEP.
12-06-2017 06:37 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
FWIW Wyoming is probably one of the most similar jobs to UTEP in FBS and he was pretty good there.
12-06-2017 07:16 PM
Advertisement

UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
I don't even know if I want to laugh or cry......
12-06-2017 08:05 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

(12-06-2017 05:54 PM)uhcoog27 Wrote:  UTEP just went 0-12. So they hired a coach who also had a winless season in his last head coaching gig? Makes no sense. I can think of 500 coordinators who would be better suited for the job. Totally baffled by this decision, Miners.

saving money to have a HR hire in basketball
12-06-2017 08:06 PM
STexMiner Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-06-2017 08:06 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  

saving money to have a HR hire in basketball

An older assistant who had a middling run at a mediocre school a couple of decades ago? Phil Johnson anyone?
12-06-2017 08:49 PM
canewton Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
I wasn't a fan of UH during the Dimel years, but I hear everyone was pretty unhappy with his performance. Since then he's spent 8 years with Bill Snyder. If he has something going for him, it's that he's learned to recruit to a place that's hard to recruit to. I'm sure UTEP could have done better, but I'm assuming the admin is making a gamble that he can bring the players to UTEP to get to 6+ wins.
12-06-2017 09:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.