11 Florida Atlantic (Conf USA Champ)
Winner gets Georgia

7 USC (Pac12 Champ)
10 Boise state (Mountain West Champ)
Winner gets Oklahoma

8 UCF (AAC Champ)
9 Toledo (MAC Champ)
Winner gets Clemson

This is how it should be. In every NCAA sport, each conference champion should have a place in the post-season tournament. The selection committee still gets to seed the ******* thing. UCF fans would be HAPPY to be the 8th seed, because THEY STILL GET TO COMPETE. And, over just a few years, the recruiting landscape would shift drastically, as now, any year, any school has a theoretical shot at winning the national championship.

12-team tournament
Use the NFL Bracket
Committee's top 4 get byes
Committee can still be bought by lobbyists for 2 at-large schools/conferences
Can still use existing bowl$ for games/locations
12-03-2017 07:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
RE: Hiller4Hyz09 2017 College Football Playoff
I see it as 12-teams too, but I see it like the current "NY6" setup, which is MORE REALISTIC. Yours won't ever happen, given you're giving G5 champs auto entries into a mere 12-team playoff. G5s are seen and treated (and moreso over time) like a lesser division in FBS. Even if they weren't so much -- no way would they make it 7 P5 vs 5 G5 like that.

12 team, IMO, would be the current "BCS Bowl" setup, including the Top 4. I would say, yes, you give those Top 4 a bye. Then the other 8 -- would just be the Top 7 teams that'd be deserving of going to those "BCS Bowls", with a Top G5 team in there too for the 8th. I would add also add two rules:
- "No more than 3 from the same conference", unless a 4th is in the Top 6 of 12.
- Two teams from the same conference can't play each other in Round 1.

It'd be like this, for Round 1:

BYE
1 Clemson (ACC Champ)
2 Oklahoma (Big12 Champ)
3 Georgia (SEC Champ)
4 Alabama

5 Ohio State (B1G Champ)
12 UCF (G5 Champ)
Winner gets ALABAMA

6 Wisconsin
11 Washington
Winner gets GEORGIA

7 Auburn
10 Miami-FL
Winner gets OKLAHOMA

8 USC (P12 Champ)
9 Penn State
Winner gets CLEMSON
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 07:42 PM by toddjnsn.)
12-03-2017 07:40 PM
Doo Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
(12-03-2017 07:30 PM)Hiller4Hyz09 Wrote:  This is how it should be. In every NCAA sport, each conference champion should have a place in the post-season tournament.

Gotta draw a line somewhere or else there will be 25 conferences.

The 6 team model works for me. The P5 champs plus one at large, undefeated teams take priority over teams with losses if they finish in the top 10 in the RPI. I’d multiple teams finish undefeated in top 10 the highest rated team gets the nod.
12-03-2017 08:09 PM
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
(12-03-2017 07:30 PM)Hiller4Hyz09 Wrote:  Round 1

BYE
1 Clemson (ACC Champ)
2 Oklahoma (Big12 Champ)
3 Georgia (SEC Champ)
4 Alabama (At-Large)

5 Ohio State (B1G Champ)
12 Troy (Sun Belt Champ)
Winner gets Alabama

6 Wisconsin (At-Large)
11 Florida Atlantic (Conf USA Champ)
Winner gets Georgia

7 USC (Pac12 Champ)
10 Boise state (Mountain West Champ)
Winner gets Oklahoma

8 UCF (AAC Champ)
9 Toledo (MAC Champ)
Winner gets Clemson

This is how it should be. In every NCAA sport, each conference champion should have a place in the post-season tournament. The selection committee still gets to seed the ******* thing. UCF fans would be HAPPY to be the 8th seed, because THEY STILL GET TO COMPETE. And, over just a few years, the recruiting landscape would shift drastically, as now, any year, any school has a theoretical shot at winning the national championship.

12-team tournament
Use the NFL Bracket
Committee's top 4 get byes
Committee can still be bought by lobbyists for 2 at-large schools/conferences
Can still use existing bowl$ for games/locations

Perfect. I endorse 100%
12-03-2017 08:42 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:Gotta draw a line somewhere or else there will be 25 conferences.

Yeah, but conferences aren't going to shrink to ~5 teams. :)

Honestly, ALL the G5 Champs getting in a Playoff -- won't happen unless the bracket's BIG. A playoff is and always will be a "P5 party", Heavily outweighing G5. There's no indicator that it could ever be otherwise, as that's the way the trend's moved toward too, in common times.

Having ALL G5 Champs in there (5)? A 24 team playoff (too big, won't ever happen in college football).

Having More than 1 G5 Champ in there? Like a secondary one auto-invited under certain conditions (undefeated, and/or ranked in Top 24)? IMO, maybe a 16-team playoff. That level of playoff may come in the Far future, so the only thing I think one could hope for on the G5-level is to have possibly 2 G5s by expanding it to 16-team playoff. But an 8 or 12? No way more than 1 G5 Champ. Expanding to 16 -- that'll be a Long Long ways from now, but certainly a possibility for the very Distant Future. I think it'll pretty much just cap off at taking the 12 "Big Bowl" teams and making a playoff out of it, within the foreseeable future.

Of course my DREAM situation would be kind of like basketball -- having MULTIPLE tournaments. So like having a National Championship 12-team Tourney, always taking a Top G5... but then having other 8-team tournaments, and making bowls out of the Final 4 of them. That'd be sweet.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 02:45 AM by toddjnsn.)
12-04-2017 02:43 AM
Doo Offline
1st String

Eh...I disagree. If you had told me 20 years ago there would be five mega conferences I wouldn’t have believed you, or in 1985 hat there’d be more than 10 teams in the Big Ten etc.

Plus while that 12 team set up might be more fair. No way the P5 are giving 5 of 12 spots to the little guys.
12-04-2017 05:28 AM
Advertisement

RunningGame Offline
All American

I wish they would let every conference champ go, but those big conferences are cowardly greed machines.
12-04-2017 09:53 AM
BuickBronco Offline
Special Teams

They are going 8 with 3 being at large. All five P5 conferences will get champion included. One G5 will be within the at large. Regretfully, the G5 will be selected by committee as will two at large P5s. This would start this week, Army/Navy would have to be moved back a week. By Sunday have your final four teams. Three weeks off then final four start as usual. They are taking a break mid Dec for final exams. Guarantee Big 10 and Pac 12 are already discussing this. I'm sure those conferences are sick of wasting time and much money on championships that mean nothing these days.

Who cares who beat who or upset someone by 30 points in Oct/Nov. The conference champs deserve to play for the overall title and so does the best G5. This committee crap deciding who is better than who is witchcraft. They play for a reason.
12-04-2017 02:55 PM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
(12-04-2017 02:55 PM)BuickBronco Wrote:  They are going 8 with 3 being at large. All five P5 conferences will get champion included. One G5 will be within the at large. Regretfully, the G5 will be selected by committee as will two at large P5s. This would start this week, Army/Navy would have to be moved back a week. By Sunday have your final four teams. Three weeks off then final four start as usual. They are taking a break mid Dec for final exams. Guarantee Big 10 and Pac 12 are already discussing this. I'm sure those conferences are sick of wasting time and much money on championships that mean nothing these days.

Who cares who beat who or upset someone by 30 points in Oct/Nov. The conference champs deserve to play for the overall title and so does the best G5. This committee crap deciding who is better than who is witchcraft. They play for a reason.

Good post! I agree, particularly with the "witchcraft" comment.

Ohio State did not deserve to go last year as the 3rd best Pig10 team, and Alabama, as the 3rd best SEC team, does not deserve to go this year.

Frankly, USC should be in there, not Alabama OR Ohio State (the Pig10 hasn't even scored in the Playoff the last two years).

Ultimately, the only fair way to decide is to only allow conference champions - ALL Division I (P5 & G5) conference champions - to participate.

The rest is "witchcraft."

Win your league to win a National Championship or STFU.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 03:14 PM by GullLake.)
12-04-2017 03:12 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(12-04-2017 03:12 PM)GullLake Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 02:55 PM)BuickBronco Wrote:  They are going 8 with 3 being at large. All five P5 conferences will get champion included. One G5 will be within the at large. Regretfully, the G5 will be selected by committee as will two at large P5s. This would start this week, Army/Navy would have to be moved back a week. By Sunday have your final four teams. Three weeks off then final four start as usual. They are taking a break mid Dec for final exams. Guarantee Big 10 and Pac 12 are already discussing this. I'm sure those conferences are sick of wasting time and much money on championships that mean nothing these days.

Ohio State did not deserve to go last year as the 3rd best Pig10 team, and Alabama, as the 3rd best SEC team, does not deserve to go this year.

Frankly, USC should be in there, not Alabama OR Ohio State (the Pig10 hasn't even scored in the Playoff the last two years).

Ultimately, the only fair way to decide is to only allow conference champions - ALL Division I (P5 & G5) conference champions - to participate.

Well, for starters, finishing 2nd in your division does not automatically make you "3rd best" in your conference.

Also the 8 team system would still include Bama this year and OSU last year.
12-04-2017 03:24 PM
GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

24 team play-off. Get rid of conference championship week. (Each conference can come up with their own system of crowning a champ after reg season) Take highest 24 rated in final play-off poll. Give top 8 teams 1st rd bye. Could use current bowl games to play games or better yet get rid of bowls and move games to home stadiums until championship. This model would have put 3 G5 teams in this year (UCF, S Florida, and Memphis)
12-04-2017 03:48 PM
Advertisement

GullLake Offline

(12-04-2017 03:24 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  

Well, for starters, finishing 2nd in your division does not automatically make you "3rd best" in your conference.

Were either team in their league championship game featuring the top 2 teams (gotta win your division at least)? No.

3rd place, at best, and un-deserving.
12-04-2017 03:54 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(12-04-2017 03:54 PM)GullLake Wrote:  

Were either team in their league championship game featuring the top 2 teams (gotta win your division at least)? No.

Ohio State last year had a better conference record than Wisconsin in an easily more difficult division and a road win at Camp Randall. Wisconsin also lost to Michigan, who finished with the same conference record in a tougher division.

I hate both OSU and Mich, but those are the facts.

The accurate statement last year is that Wisconsin was 3rd at best and probably 4th best in their conference. Those divisions are hilariously imbalanced.

Sorry, you're objectively wrong on that assessment. One thing I will agree with, if the playoffs are gonna be 4 teams, I'd be ok with requiring a conference championship. Big Ten probably wouldn't have been in at all in that scenario last year.
12-04-2017 04:02 PM
GullLake Offline

(12-04-2017 04:02 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  

Ohio State last year had a better conference record than Wisconsin in an easily more difficult division and a road win at Camp Randall. Wisconsin also lost to Michigan, who finished with the same conference record in a tougher division.

The accurate statement last year is that Wisconsin was 3rd at best and probably 4th best in their conference. Those divisions are hilariously imbalanced.

Sorry, you're objectively wrong on that assessment. One thing I will agree with, if the playoffs are gonna be 4 teams, I'd be ok with requiring a conference championship. Big Ten probably wouldn't have been in at all in that scenario last year.

I understand and respect where you are coming from, but disagree. When you win your division, and make it to a the championship you are at least #2 in the league.

Bottom-line...did you get the the Championship Game?

Neither Ohio State last year, or Alabama this year did.

That said, glad we do agree on requiring a conference championship.
12-04-2017 04:43 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(12-04-2017 04:43 PM)GullLake Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 03:12 PM)GullLake Wrote:  Good post! I agree, particularly with the "witchcraft" comment.

I understand and respect where you are coming from, but disagree. When you win your division, and make it to a the championship you are at least #2 in the league.

Wisconsin lost to ALL of the top three teams in the other division last year.

When three teams tied atop the MAC West in basketball at 7-9 a few years back, was the team that won the tiebreak "2nd best"? What about when WMU won it at 8-8?

In 2010, Auburn went 14-0 and played some classics in an almost comically loaded SEC West. Seriously, look: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Sou...all_season

Meanwhile South Carolina won the East as the only team with a winning record (5-3) and proceeded to lose 56-17 in the CCG.

So, South Carolina.. 2nd best?

Absurdly rigid viewpoint.
12-04-2017 05:00 PM
GullLake Offline

(12-04-2017 05:00 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 03:24 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  Well, for starters, finishing 2nd in your division does not automatically make you "3rd best" in your conference.

When three teams tied atop the MAC West in basketball at 7-9 a few years back, was the team that won the tiebreak "2nd best"? What about when WMU won it at 8-8?

In 2010, Auburn went 14-0 and played some classics in an almost comically loaded SEC West. Seriously, look: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Sou...all_season

Meanwhile South Carolina won the East as the only team with a winning record (5-3) and proceeded to lose 56-17 in the CCG.

The loser of a championship game is called league "runner-up."

We agree to disagree, my friend. I respect you and your opinion.
12-04-2017 05:07 PM
Advertisement

wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(12-04-2017 05:07 PM)GullLake Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 05:00 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 03:54 PM)GullLake Wrote:  Were either team in their league championship game featuring the top 2 teams (gotta win your division at least)? No.

The loser of a championship game is called league "runner-up."

We agree to disagree, my friend. I respect you and your opinion.

Who was a better team that year, South Carolina or LSU? South Carolina or Arkansas?
12-04-2017 05:24 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
You can not discount the regular season in trying to determine who is "second best" or "third best" in a conference.
12-04-2017 06:42 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:When you win your division, and make it to a the championship you are at least #2 in the league.

I disagree. I can understand you Did Earn something nobody in the way-better division @#2 did, where, say, in a low G5, you get an auto-bid to a bowl no matter what, fine. But no, it doesn't mean you're the #2 best in the league. College football officially & unofficially does not see it that way.

Quote:24 team play-off. Get rid of conference championship week.

Won't ever happen, getting rid of a Conference Championship between the winners of the 2 Divisions. It'd be insane to think they would get rid of it. Plus, ones that Don't have that week, still have games (Sun Belt, B12) -- so you're not saving "time", the way it is now (although that could be adjusted). But bottom line -- No, nobody would want to get rid of it; ain't going to happen if a conference is divided into 2 divisions within. So it wouldn't be worth realistically considering, with conferences expanding the way they have WITH that in mind. A 24-team playoff? Not going to happen for decades, IF at all -- but certainly an actual chance at some point, as opposed to ridding a conference championship game where conferences have 2 divisions within. But for 24-team playoff -- honestly, I really only see the G5s being the reason why going from 12->24. And I would put money on the P5/G5 split into different D1 subsections, when more and more teams come into the G5 (and AAC going to P5; G5 having another conference, etc) -- than it going 24-teams.

Quote:Plus while that 12 team set up might be more fair. No way the P5 are giving 5 of 12 spots to the little guys.

The 12 team setup is what they have now. It's just the Top 4 have their own Semi-Final Playoff for the National Championship, and the other 8 play in NY6 bowls. Putting them ALL into a playoff is the most Realistic thing. But yeah, it's not going to be 7 P5 vs 5 G5 for the National Championship. :) A much much much MUCH better chance that they'd split P5 & G5 into two separate D1 divisions, than that. Actually the latter has a chance, the former has Zero chance.

Quote:I wish they would let every conference champ go, but those big conferences are cowardly greed machines.

I don't think it's (merely) greed though. It's understandable, to an extent. Less fan base following said teams -- combined with less of an underdog factor. Wouldn't at all be like the field of 64 in BBall. If there was 24 team playoff -- yeah, then it'd go (19 + 5; P5s in the Top 20 + Top 5 G5s). But it'd be a LONG LONG LONG time before we'd get a 24 team playoff.

Going 16 team playoff with 5 G5s still will never happen. You'd basically be taking the Top 11 teams + 5 G5s, where too many years the 2nd G5 would hardly be ranked, and the 3rd/4th/5th wouldn't be. You'd have a divisional winner of a P5 ranked #12 *NOT* going, while they let in a Sun Belt or CUSA champ who has close to no votes of being ranked, and would otherwise be going to a Denny's bowl or something.

Problem with 24-team playoff. Length of Time. I think they may end up going with an 8-team playoff, quickly going into 12 -- or going straight to all 12 NY6 bowl teams being in a 12-team playoff instead.... and sticking there for a LONG LONG LONG time before expanding.

A 24-team playoff would IMO get all 5 G5 champs in. It'd probably be THE reason it'd go from 12 to 24 some day in the Far Far future (if G5 & P5 are still together; no way would it Ever happen if it was just an expanded P5->P6 D1 subdivision split from the G5).

If we had a 24-team playoff now, broken down by Weeks:

- ROUND 1 - (Dec 14-16): 16 Teams Play in 8 games; Top 8 get a Bye
- BYE WEEK FOR OTHER BOWLS + XMAS BREAK / OR SWITCH THIS WITH PREVIOUS TO DELAY PLAYOFFS FOR INITIAL BOWL SPOTLIGHT
- ROUND 2 - (Dec 28-30): 16 Teams Play in 8 games; Top 8 vs 8 Round 1 Winners
- ELITE EIGHT - (Jan 5-6): 8 Teams Play in 4 games
- *POSSIBLY A BYE WEEK FOR REST; BUT I'll ASSUME NOT
- FINAL FOUR - (Jan 13th): FINAL FOUR
- CHAMPIONSHIP - MON, JAN 22nd
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2017 02:01 AM by toddjnsn.)
12-05-2017 01:48 AM
Bronco XXVIII Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WMU!
24 teams, seriously? I think 8 is ideal:

- The (5) Power Five Champs.
- 2 at Large teams.
- The highest ranked G5 team.

Committee still picks and seeds. Have some sort of a first round bye.

04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2017 05:56 PM by Bronco XXVIII.)
12-05-2017 05:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.