WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Alex Malzone with 2 yrs of eligibility
WMUlaxer97 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU & UofM
Alex Malzone with 2 yrs of eligibility
He was a 4* recruit out of Brother Rice and runner up for Mr. football in 2013. He was recruited by WMU, CMU, Toledo, BGSU with other offers including Pitt & Wake before committing to UofM. He'll earn his degree in April and be immediately eligible as a grad transfer with 2 yrs left to play. Would be good to have a more seasoned QB to go into next season. As it stands Wassink will be a RS Jr., Goddard a Sophomore and Riddle a RS Fr. Goddard could benefit from a Red Shirt season with Malzone/Wassink as 1a/1b. Thoughts on bringing in Malzone as a grad xfer?
11-30-2017 08:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ru4wmu Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WMU
RE: Alex Malzone with 2 yrs of eligibility
Why not? It is Lester's job to bring in the absolute best players he can get at every position and let the competition decide it from there.
11-30-2017 09:03 PM
Football1 Offline
Water Engineer

(11-30-2017 09:03 PM)ru4wmu Wrote:  Why not? It is Lester's job to bring in the absolute best players he can get at every position and let the competition decide it from there.

More seasoned?? He played sparingly in one game in three years?
11-30-2017 09:06 PM
schwebbs84 Offline
1st String

He was a Hoke recruit, correct?
11-30-2017 09:19 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

Assuming Wassink is still here next year (I have no reason to believe he won’t be), I would not be in favor of bringing in a QB transfer. Sends a poor message to Wassink whom we’ve spent much of the last 2 years grooming.
11-30-2017 09:19 PM
WMUlaxer97 Offline
1st String

(11-30-2017 09:19 PM)wingsenforcer Wrote:  He was a Hoke recruit, correct?

Yes. Harbaughs QBs are Grad Xfers Ruddock, O'Korn, recruits Peters, McCaffery and Milton
11-30-2017 09:24 PM
Advertisement

schwebbs84 Offline
1st String

(11-30-2017 09:24 PM)WMUlaxer97 Wrote:  
(11-30-2017 09:19 PM)wingsenforcer Wrote:  He was a Hoke recruit, correct?

Yes. Harbaughs QBs are Grad Xfers Ruddock, O'Korn, recruits Peters, McCaffery and Milton

I don't believe I'd be opposed to anyone who wants to come to Western and play, however, openly seeking talent at positions at which we have upperclassmen isn't the best look. Chance Stewart would have been a redshirt junior this year had he stayed. We didn't necessarily chase him away, but we should take game action looks at everyone interested in being a part of the program. I don't think Chance ever played a down for us.
11-30-2017 09:29 PM
RunningGame Offline
All American

I don't believe he is going to transfer somewhere he's going to have to fight off a challenger, otherwise what would be the point? I think Wassink will be better. He does not fix our experience problem in the passing game, he would worsen it.
11-30-2017 09:43 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

Odds he ends up at Central?
11-30-2017 09:55 PM
WMUlaxer97 Offline
1st String

Are we prepared to go into next season with the possibility of a true sophomore 1 play away from being our starting QB? Or God forbid Wassink gets injured prior to the season and Goddard and Riddle are 1&2 going into the Syracuse and Michigan games. Nothing against either of them but QBs are best positioned when they have a couple years to learn a system before being pressed into action. We are extremely young at the QB position and competition is always good.
As for his lack of game experience, maybe Nussmeier and Hoke took a flier on him but he truly didn't have P5 talent. Nearly half the MAC thought enough of him to offer. He did end the season as the backup, played on scout teams and learned a system for 3 seasons + bowl practices. I'd consider that more seasoned than a sophomore and RS Fr. QB.
11-30-2017 10:14 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

Wassink has 3 years of experience (like Malzone) under his belt and in-game experience against two Top 15 G5 teams. That’s more than Malzone can say. So I’d say Wassink actually has the slight edge in terms of who’s more seasoned.
11-30-2017 10:44 PM
Advertisement

Doo Offline
1st String

Let me start by saying I believe Wassink is the QB, I think he played better as a frosh than I remember Terrel playing (or at least looking). I don't see any need to assume we have a hole there.

With that said that position is one where competition generally elevates all those involved. Wassink seems like he has the mentality to fight to keep that job.

I also believe Malzone is a quality QB, probably not big ten caliber, but I certainly think he's built with similar tools as Terrell. I'd be plenty happy if he became a Bronco.

But let's be honest Wassink has more game experience as a D1 QB already, we aren't talking about a starter from a struggling school looking for a chance to win 5th year. He's looking for a place to play. So he's not coming here, because it's far from guaranteed. I have a feeling we'll be going against Malzone for the next two years, and we'll see he's quality, maybe not top shelf, but certainly quality.
12-01-2017 07:55 AM
BuickBronco Offline
Special Teams

WMU plays UM next year. Five grad transfers out there with UM playbooks. Just a thought
12-01-2017 10:30 AM
okgc Offline
Heisman

Broncos already have two QB with more game experience
12-01-2017 02:27 PM
RunningGame Offline
All American

(12-01-2017 10:30 AM)BuickBronco Wrote:  WMU plays UM next year. Five grad transfers out there with UM playbooks. Just a thought

"Thanks for coming here Al. Now about that playbook, did you bring it?" "Yeah coach Lester." "Well, where is it?" "Right here." "One page?" "Yes sir." "Huh. I-Right, three yards and a cloud of dust. Huh. It has an inscription on the bottom. Hmm. It says, 'With Love, from Bo.'"

03-wink
12-01-2017 02:45 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I'd invite him to try and earn a scholarship in WMU Spring Camp. That's as far as I'd extend myself. He hasn't earned a starting spot at UM, what makes you think he has the right stuff for a starting job at WMU?
12-01-2017 02:48 PM
Advertisement

Stampede your face!! Offline
All American

(12-01-2017 02:48 PM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  I'd invite him to try and earn a scholarship in WMU Spring Camp. That's as far as I'd extend myself. He hasn't earned a starting spot at UM, what makes you think he has the right stuff for a starting job at WMU?

Because UM is a far better football program, and guys that rarely see the field there like Richard Ash could be stars here. Alex Malzone wasn't only recruited by Michigan, he was recruited by a lot of good programs.

But hey, we are a 6-6 football team with a lot of our All MAC talent graduating, so yeah, let's thumb our nose at guys that got recruited to play for a big time program.

01-wingedeagle
12-01-2017 06:22 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(12-01-2017 06:22 PM)Stampede your face!! Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 02:48 PM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  I'd invite him to try and earn a scholarship in WMU Spring Camp. That's as far as I'd extend myself. He hasn't earned a starting spot at UM, what makes you think he has the right stuff for a starting job at WMU?

Because UM is a far better football program, and guys that rarely see the field there like Richard Ash could be stars here. Alex Malzone wasn't only recruited by Michigan, he was recruited by a lot of good programs.

But hey, we are a 6-6 football team with a lot of our All MAC talent graduating, so yeah, let's thumb our nose at guys that got recruited to play for a big time program.

01-wingedeagle

Coming from a “Big Time Program” means nothing. Ferguson was a 4 Star ND WR recruit who spent 2 1/2 years at Western waiting to get on the field. Phil Ely was a BAMA transfer to UT who couldn’t beat out Woodside. Doug Wiggins was a 4 Star from Miami who had problems producing in the MAC.

Brother Rice hypes their recruits and idiots like Mick McCabe join the hype. Hence we have 4 Star dud Alex Malzone from BBR and 5 Star duds like Shane Morris and Devin Gardner.
12-01-2017 10:56 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

01-wingedeagle

I'd didn't say thumb my nose at him, so apparently reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. I'd offer him a look-see at Spring Camp, to show what he can do. And UM has had their bust-outs in QB recruits in the past, being part of their program is no guarantee of success.
12-01-2017 10:57 PM
Stampede your face!! Offline
All American

(12-01-2017 10:56 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  

01-wingedeagle

Coming from a “Big Time Program” means nothing. Ferguson was a 4 Star ND WR recruit who spent 2 1/2 years at Western waiting to get on the field. Phil Ely was a BAMA transfer to UT who couldn’t beat out Woodside. Doug Wiggins was a 4 Star from Miami who had problems producing in the MAC.

Brother Rice hypes their recruits and idiots like Mick McCabe join the hype. Hence we have 4 Star dud Alex Malzone from BBR and 5 Star duds like Shane Morris and Devin Gardner.

Shane Morris was good enough to whoop our butt on our home field.
12-01-2017 11:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.