Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thoughts on Broome?
Bookmark and Share
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
Thoughts on Broome?
I am wondering if as the season evolves, he may be best used in a spark plug 6th man role, either at the 2 or 1. From the games I have seen, I feel like he is more comfortable in a scorers role as opposed to the distributor. Jennifer is definitely a natural PG.

He has been dissappearing lately and I'm not sure his D is good enough right now for him to be out there if he's not scoring.

11-29-2017 05:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
RE: Thoughts on Broome?
I admit I was skeptical. He's a good addition but he's not going to be what many fans penciled him in for.

11-29-2017 05:19 PM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
I figured he would have trouble adjusting to our level in terms of ball handling and game management, but he seems to be a solid shooter within his niche. I originally expected him to average about half the points he averaged at Sacred Heart this year.

11-29-2017 05:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
If he played the whole game he would probably average around 15. So far it’s a 50/50 split with Jenifer. I think he is a volume scorer who can get hot at times. Still needs work on his decision making. I think we are fortunate to have 2 guys that can handle the ball as well as they do and not have a drop off when either guy is in the game. Neigher guy is a superstar but I don’t worry about the position either.

11-29-2017 05:24 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
He really does remind me of Farad Cobb.

11-29-2017 05:29 PM
HoopsJunky Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC

Donators
He has a much bigger upside than JJ.

Good shooter who can also create easy buckets for his teammates

Jenifer has shot well and has taken care of the ball but will never be the PG who create for others

I think as the season progresses Cane's turnovers will go down, his shot selection and defense will improve

I don't see UC going deep in the tourney with Jenifer leading the way

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2017 05:58 PM by HoopsJunky.)
11-29-2017 05:57 PM
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Jennifer reminds me a little of Keith Legree; physically strong, capable defender, pretty good decision maker but not a gifted natural shooter. If he can be a good distributor there are four other guys out there that can score. I think Broome will improve week by week. Few transfers have hit the ground running in recent years. Until they learn (and play) the UC defensive schemes they just won't see extended playing time.

It raises an old question though: will UC ever recruit a true point guard on the same talent level as other blue chip players on this squad (Evans, Cumberland, etc.)? I'm not suggesting that is easy but I do believe it's pretty essential to making deep runs in tourneys against top tier competition.

11-29-2017 06:16 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
I think he is a work in progress (in a good way) and will get more comfortable in his role as the season wears on. He was asked to be "the guy" at Sacred Heart and now he is on a team that plays intense defense and surrounded by studs who can score. I like what he brings differently from JJ and he adds to our depth. The next four games will be telling.

11-29-2017 06:30 PM
Recluse1 Offline
1st String

(11-29-2017 06:16 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  Jennifer reminds me a little of Keith Legree; physically strong, capable defender, pretty good decision maker but not a gifted natural shooter. If he can be a good distributor there are four other guys out there that can score. I think Broome will improve week by week. Few transfers have hit the ground running in recent years. Until they learn (and play) the UC defensive schemes they just won't see extended playing time.

It raises an old question though: will UC ever recruit a true point guard on the same talent level as other blue chip players on this squad (Evans, Cumberland, etc.)? I'm not suggesting that is easy but I do believe it's pretty essential to making deep runs in tourneys against top tier competition.

I think had he not been dealing with bad legs, Cashmere Wright could have been one of those level guards. But truth be told, Caupain was far from being bad out there. As far as college ball is to be concerned from a broad view of the sport, there are teams who go far with no true point guard at all. Basketball in general IMO is going to move toward position-less players. Back to the basket post players and clearly defined point guards will go the way of the dinosaur.

11-29-2017 06:31 PM
levydl Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-29-2017 05:57 PM)HoopsJunky Wrote:  He has a much bigger upside than JJ.

Good shooter who can also create easy buckets for his teammates

Jenifer has shot well and has taken care of the ball but will never be the PG who create for others

I think as the season progresses Cane's turnovers will go down, his shot selection and defense will improve

I don't see UC going deep in the tourney with Jenifer leading the way

Jenifer looks much better than I expected. Broome is going to be up and down this year. I expect him to win a big game or two for us, though. I'm hopeful that he will settle in and be getting the bulk of the minutes by season's end, but I'm really happy with how Jenifer is progressing. With the other starters, the PG doesn't need to be the best player for this team to go far.

11-29-2017 06:34 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
(11-29-2017 05:19 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I admit I was skeptical. He's a good addition but he's not going to be what many fans penciled him in for.

But...but... everyone was saying he was the best player in practice last year!?!?!

I had the same thoughts. I think he'll end up being a nice player on the level Nick Williams or a less erratic Jihad Mihhamed, but not the level of Van Exel like some were playing.

11-29-2017 06:44 PM
Advertisement

Recluse1 Offline
1st String

I know he's taller than JJ, but it seems like he has really good hops for a guard his height. You add that to his quickness, the fact he shoots both 3's and mid range jumpshots really well and he has all the tools to be a very good guard. It'll be awhile before he becomes the natural point guard we want him to be though, but I think he'll get there and we'll be DAMN good come March.

11-29-2017 07:52 PM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
He's good. He's going to be good.

11-29-2017 08:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I think the team is better with JJ on the floor and additionally, I would rather JJ have the ball late in a close one than Broome at this point.

I do like Broome and think he will contribute. I would rather see him coming off the bench as instant offense 6th guy but I trust Mick's decisions all things Bearcats.

11-29-2017 09:53 PM
bearcat54 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I look for Broome to be a lot like former uc standout McElroy. He'll have a tremendous senior year and this year is young, he'll have some huge games. It's tought to move up in talent and be completely comfortable in the first year at a new school. He'll relax more and be one of our key stars. I'm glad we have Cane Broome and Justin Jenifer. Think how it took Justin over 2 years to finally get it.

12-01-2017 12:04 PM
BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
Sitting out a year seems to have inhibited his transition. I think he will get more comfortable as the season wears.

12-01-2017 12:12 PM
Advertisement

doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
I thought everyone who watch practices said he was the best player, the second coming of Van Excel.

Perhaps he is a practice player, because I have seen nothing to get real excited about. We are lucky JJ lost weight and stuck around.

12-01-2017 12:55 PM
ucbrownsfan Offline
Special Teams

I think Broome's been fine. He's putting up similar numbers to what Caupain did last year, but in much less minutes. It's hard to gauge this team, as the rotation has been so deep thus far.

Gary Clark has one game over 30 minutes this year, and he put up 24/14.

I think it's hard to go in with 5 equal guys, and this season I think Cronin's goal is to establish Gary Clark first and foremost, it's Gary Clark's team this year and it should be. He's the guy that can be our All-American this year.

This relates to Broome, as he has to learn to be a bit of a role player. On that note, Broome is hitting 50% from the field, has a 26% Assist percentage. He's got some steals. He just gambles too much, and he had to at SH, if he can play within himself and keep the shooting high, he's going to be great for us. The game will slow down for him.

12-01-2017 12:59 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(12-01-2017 12:59 PM)ucbrownsfan Wrote:  I think Broome's been fine. He's putting up similar numbers to what Caupain did last year, but in much less minutes. It's hard to gauge this team, as the rotation has been so deep thus far.

Gary Clark has one game over 30 minutes this year, and he put up 24/14.

I think it's hard to go in with 5 equal guys, and this season I think Cronin's goal is to establish Gary Clark first and foremost, it's Gary Clark's team this year and it should be. He's the guy that can be our All-American this year.

This relates to Broome, as he has to learn to be a bit of a role player. On that note, Broome is hitting 50% from the field, has a 26% Assist percentage. He's got some steals. He just gambles too much, and he had to at SH, if he can play within himself and keep the shooting high, he's going to be great for us. The game will slow down for him.

Solid post, and I concur. We'll are about to get a taste of Broome's true impact this weekend. Kind of hard to judge with him logging 20 minutes against the Coppin and Alabama State's of the schedule.

FWIW, XU has struggled against the smaller, quicker game the past season or two. I would not be surprised to see one or both of Broome/Jennifer to have strong performances.

12-01-2017 01:02 PM
Edgebrookjeff Offline
1st String

I Root For: bearcats
I thought during the games in the Caymens he was trying to hard and thus was prone to turnovers. Maybe he's putting too much pressure on himself like Caupain did at times last year and to a similar extent Evans does. Just play your game and stop listening to social media.

12-01-2017 07:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.