Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Possible Bowls for the Tigers
Bookmark and Share
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

I Root For: Memphis
Possible Bowls for the Tigers
Best case scenario is that the Tigers win against ECU, win the conference championship game, and represent the Group of Five in (most likely) the Cotton Bowl against a P5 school. We're probably going to beat ECU rather easily, but it's going to be tough to beat UCF on their field. I don't realistically see USF pulling the upset in Orlando this week.

Barring that, the Tigers will play in one of the AAC affiliated bowls.

The Birmingham Bowl versus SEC
The Gasparilla Bowl versus C-USA
The Frisco Bowl versus At-large
The Military Bowl versus ACC
The Hawaii Bowl versus Mountain West
The Boca Raton Bowl versus Conference USA
The Cure Bowl versus Sun Belt

If the Tigers don't win the conference title, I'm hoping we can go to the Military Bowl and play an ACC team. I have no desire to ever see the Tigers play in that hellhole of a stadium in Birmingham. It was even worse than that pouring down game at the Moblie Bowl when DeAngelo Williams broke his leg during the game. None of the other bowls have Memphis playing a P5 school, so I have no real interest in any of them either.
11-19-2017 12:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market
RE: Possible Bowls for the Tigers
Man you are such a ray of sunshine
11-19-2017 12:55 PM
TylerTiger Offline
The Fountainhead

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
On ESPN early prediction suggestions were against UCLA At the Frisco Bowl and another playing against WVU at the Liberty Bowl. Weird predictions
11-19-2017 12:59 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
It's just that they don't know what to do with us yet.
11-19-2017 01:01 PM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

I'm hoping the Tigers win out and go to the Cotton Bowl. It would easily rank as the biggest game and best season in Tiger history.

I'm fairly confident the Tigers will beat the crap out of ECU. I think we'll put on a good show in the conference championship. Not sure if we'll win it. The champion gets a really good bowl. The rest of the conference bowl tie ins aren't very good. When the current agreements end, the commissioner needs to work his tail off to upgrade the bowls for the conference. Nothing further west than Texas. More bowls with P5 tie-ins.
11-19-2017 01:03 PM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

(11-19-2017 12:59 PM)TylerTiger Wrote:  On ESPN early prediction suggestions were against UCLA At the Frisco Bowl and another playing against WVU at the Liberty Bowl. Weird predictions

I'm not sure how they have us in the Liberty Bowl. Both the Big 12 and SEC have the required number of bowl eligible teams to fill all their slots.

Not sure the Tigers would get any benefit from beating the crap out of Troy in Frisco.
11-19-2017 01:06 PM
Advertisement

mphsfan Offline
Unapologetic Supporter

I Root For: Memphis &

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(11-19-2017 01:03 PM)TOGC Wrote:  I'm hoping the Tigers win out and go to the Cotton Bowl. It would easily rank as the biggest game and best season in Tiger history.

I'm fairly confident the Tigers will beat the crap out of ECU. I think we'll put on a good show in the conference championship. Not sure if we'll win it. The champion gets a really good bowl. The rest of the conference bowl tie ins aren't very good. When the current agreements end, the commissioner needs to work his tail off to upgrade the bowls for the conference. Nothing further west than Texas. More bowls with P5 tie-ins.

The problem with the AAC bowl tie-ins is that the fans of most of the teams don't travel well at all. Bowl games want to bring in fans as a boost to their local economy. Generally speaking, P5 fan bases travel, our conference doesn't. Thus we are relegated to the made-for-tv bowl games.

P.S. I don't want to go to B'ham and I don't want to play UAB in a bowl.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2017 01:28 PM by mphsfan.)
11-19-2017 01:17 PM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

I remember two years ago when everyone wanted to go to Birmingham. An easy day drive for most fans.

That was an Auburn home game. Even if we had played a team from elsewhere, I was disappointed with the showing by Tiger fans. I drove from Syracuse, NY to Birmingham to watch the game. I went to the Miami Beach Bowl the year before that. We need to bring more fans both at home and on the road, or they might as well send us to the bowl in Hawaii.
11-19-2017 01:20 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

(11-19-2017 01:17 PM)mphsfan Wrote:  
(11-19-2017 01:03 PM)TOGC Wrote:  I'm hoping the Tigers win out and go to the Cotton Bowl. It would easily rank as the biggest game and best season in Tiger history.

The problem with the AAC bowl tie-ins is that the fans of most of the teams don't travel well at all. Bowl games want to bring in fans as a boost to their local economy. Generally speaking, P5 fan bases travel, our conference doesn't. Thus we are relegated to the made-for-tv bowl games.

P.S. I don't want to go to B'ham and I don't want to play UAB in a bowl.
11-19-2017 01:31 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
Possible Liberty Bowl if SEC can't meet bowl obligations.
11-19-2017 01:47 PM
Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market
Potential matchup between Texas and Memphis in the liberty bowl?
11-19-2017 02:00 PM
Advertisement

72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(11-19-2017 02:00 PM)Bathtub Gin Wrote:  Potential matchup between Texas and Memphis in the liberty bowl?

If we don't make it to the access bowl, that would be awesome.
11-19-2017 02:14 PM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

(11-19-2017 01:47 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  Possible Liberty Bowl if SEC can't meet bowl obligations.

The SEC has nine bowl eligible teams and ten bowls. The Birmingham Bowl and Independence Bowl are the last two to pick an SEC team. The Liberty Bowl is virtually guaranteed an SEC team.
11-19-2017 02:17 PM
roachman48 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-19-2017 02:14 PM)72Tiger Wrote:  
(11-19-2017 02:00 PM)Bathtub Gin Wrote:  Potential matchup between Texas and Memphis in the liberty bowl?

If we don't make it to the access bowl, that would be awesome.

1 YES IT would be awesome. Somehow, I feel Texas would not share our enthusiasm.
2. i was at the Bham bowl vs auburn. Auburn fans easily outnumbered Memphis fans. But, I did not feel so lonely as earlier mentioned. I would have guessed 5000 or more Memphis fans were present.
11-19-2017 02:19 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(11-19-2017 02:17 PM)TOGC Wrote:  
(11-19-2017 01:47 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  Possible Liberty Bowl if SEC can't meet bowl obligations.

The SEC has nine bowl eligible teams and ten bowls. The Birmingham Bowl and Independence Bowl are the last two to pick an SEC team. The Liberty Bowl is virtually guaranteed an SEC team.

If the SEC gets one team to the CFP and two to the major bowls (in some projections both UGA and Auburn are getting New Years bowl invites) that reduces the bowl eligible group to six.

Then, the citrus bowl gets a pick.

That leaves five teams for these six bowls:

Outback
Tax Slayer
Music City
Texas
Belk
Liberty

So, absolutely, there is the possibility that the Liberty might not get an SEC team.

OM has to lose to Moo and UF has to lose to FSU, then the SEC will only get nine bowl eligible teams.

Then, two SEC schools will have to be picked for New Year's bowls. Absolutely possible.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2017 02:27 PM by salukiblue.)
11-19-2017 02:27 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

UTexas Female FB fan, a couple months ago, saw my Tiger BB cap and the Memphis clock on the wall. We started talking college sports, and she asked me if Memphis was a two year college?

She was serious.

It did not go well from there. Her husband and son had to herd that heifer out the door.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2017 02:28 PM by snowtiger.)
11-19-2017 02:28 PM
Advertisement

TOGC Offline
Resident genius

(11-19-2017 02:27 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  

If the SEC gets one team to the CFP and two to the major bowls (in some projections both UGA and Auburn are getting New Years bowl invites) that reduces the bowl eligible group to six.

Outback
Tax Slayer
Music City
Texas
Belk
Liberty

So, absolutely, there is the possibility that the Liberty might not get an SEC team.

OM has to lose to Moo and UF has to lose to FSU, then the SEC will only get nine bowl eligible teams.

Then, two SEC schools will have to be picked for New Year's bowls. Absolutely possible.

That's a lot of ifs to get to that point. Alabama will probably be in the playoff, Georgia will be in one of the New Year's bowls, but there's no guarantee Auburn will.
11-19-2017 02:34 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Missed something.
11-19-2017 02:36 PM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

(11-19-2017 02:28 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  UTexas Female FB fan, a couple months ago, saw my Tiger BB cap and the Memphis clock on the wall. We started talking college sports, and she asked me if Memphis was a two year college?

She was serious.

It did not go well from there. Her husband and son had to herd that heifer out the door.

Considering that Texas has won 6, 5, 5, and 6 games the last four years, they have no business talking smack about anyone.
11-19-2017 02:36 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(11-19-2017 02:34 PM)TOGC Wrote:  
(11-19-2017 02:27 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  

Outback
Tax Slayer
Music City
Texas
Belk
Liberty

That's a lot of ifs to get to that point. Alabama will probably be in the playoff, Georgia will be in one of the New Year's bowls, but there's no guarantee Auburn will.

Not really a lot of ifs at all.

For sure, one SEC team will be in the CFP.
For sure, another SEC will be in a NYD bowl.

So the only "not sure" thing is for one more SEC school to be picked for a NYD bowl.

Every year, one conference ALWAYS has two teams in NYD bowls, the last two years the BIG had a two reps and three years ago the SEC did.

Again it's probably a 40/60 chance, BUT it's sure as hell a lot better than "virtually guaranteed" to have an SEC rep as you wrote.
11-19-2017 02:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.