Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NBA Draft- 1 and done era over???
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
saw this on ESPN:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21440...basketball

Nevertheless, there's a growing belief within the league that Silver's desire to end the one-and-done -- the ability of college basketball players to enter the NBA draft after playing one year in college -- could be pushing the sport closer to high school players having the opportunity to directly enter the league again. For that change to happen, though, the union would probably need to cede the one-and-done rule and agree to a mandate that players entering college must stay two years before declaring for the draft.

Going to change the recruiting landscape considerably. Wouldn't think this would be in place until 2019- which would incidentally be when those new anti-tanking moves take place in the NBA.
11-17-2017 12:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
Most have d league affiliates, eventually farm system like baseball would be a good way to handle it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
11-17-2017 02:01 AM
mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
RE: NBA Draft- 1 and done era over???
The NCAA should also allow high school players that go undrafted & possibly 2nd round picks eligible to sign with schools as long as they stay 2 years
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2017 08:34 AM by mj4life.)
11-17-2017 08:33 AM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(11-17-2017 08:33 AM)mj4life Wrote:  The NCAA should also allow high school players that go undrafted & possibly 2nd round picks eligible to sign with schools as long as they stay 2 years

The easy solution to that is to not require high school players to declare for the draft. They are automatically eligible to be drafted, but if they aren't, and haven't signed with an agent, then they haven't done anything to jeopardize their college eligibility.

Chances are that any high schooler not drafted would probably have been judged by the NBA as needing the two years of college. So rising juniors would be the first players who would have to make a decision to declare or not.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2017 02:49 PM by ken d.)
11-17-2017 08:52 AM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
My first take is that the suggestion of allowing high school players to enter the draft, but require players choosing college to stay for two years would be an improvement over one-and-done. A handful of the best players would obviously go directly to the NBA, but many rushing to declare have only borderline NBA potential and would benefit themselves and college basketball by playing the extra year in college.
11-17-2017 09:06 AM
Advertisement

ken d Online
Hall of Famer

If the NBA does go this way, how would you feel about adding a secondary draft to the mix? By that I mean adding a third round that is only for high school seniors, who - if selected - would go straight to the D-league (or whatever it's called these days).

Obviously that would be a further drain on talent available to the NCAA schools. But it would keep out some athletes who have no interest at all in pursuing a college education.
11-17-2017 10:36 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(11-17-2017 08:52 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(11-17-2017 08:33 AM)mj4life Wrote:  The NCAA should also allow high school players that go undrafted & possibly 2nd round picks eligible to sign with schools as long as they stay 2 years

The easy solution to that is to not require high school players to declare for the draft. They are automatically eligible to be drafted, but if they aren't, and haven't signed with an agent, them they haven't done anything to jeopardize their college eligibility.

Chances are that any high schooler not drafted would probably have been judged by the NBA as needing the two years of college. So rising juniors would be the first players who would have to make a decision to declare or not.

I agree ken.
11-17-2017 10:56 AM
mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc

The easy solution to that is to not require high school players to declare for the draft. They are automatically eligible to be drafted, but if they aren't, and haven't signed with an agent, them they haven't done anything to jeopardize their college eligibility.

The issue is I think they have to declare to compete at the combine & go thru the team workout process. We all know many will declare even if they don't have a shot at getting drafted.
11-17-2017 11:41 AM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(11-17-2017 11:41 AM)mj4life Wrote:  

The issue is I think they have to declare to compete at the combine & go thru the team workout process. We all know many will declare even if they don't have a shot at getting drafted.

Right. The problem there is that the NBA owners want to protect themselves from the possibility of spending a draft choice on a player who is going to go to college anyway. They don't want to be in the same situation that MLB is in, where a MLB team might spend a high draft choice on a high school player who then opts for college, either because the MLB team didn't offer enough money or because he doesn't want to play for the MLB franchise that drafted him.

So the NBA will want to force high school players to declare for the draft and lose their college eligibility. That way, the NBA owners know that the players in the draft pool will sign a pro contract, because the college option is no longer available to them.
11-17-2017 12:28 PM
Advertisement

ken d Online
Hall of Famer

There are ways to mitigate that. First, in exchange for this concession by the NBA, the NCAA could simply allow high school seniors to attend the combine without penalty. The NBA, for its part, could invite just those high school players it believes may be keepers. As to the possibility (which I believe would be remote) that a high school player who is drafted would opt instead to go to college for two years, the drafting team could retain the right to sign that player when he does leave school.

If the kid turns out to be a bust, the team can simply not offer him a contract, which would put him back in the draft pool. If he turns out to still be a valuable commodity, all the drafting team has lost is two years waiting time while the kid improves his game and his marketability.
11-17-2017 02:57 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
The NBA needs to build up the D-League or G-League or whatever the new en vogue name is now rather than use collegiate basketball to develop recruits.

Have a draft for high schools players where NBA teams can draft them, sign them for 2 years for D-League play and after 2 years have the option to resign them to NBA contracts.
11-17-2017 04:07 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(11-17-2017 02:57 PM)ken d Wrote:  As to the possibility (which I believe would be remote) that a high school player who is drafted would opt instead to go to college for two years, the drafting team could retain the right to sign that player when he does leave school.

It's not a remote possibility in MLB. There are many MLB draft picks who opt for college instead, some of them even first-round draft choices. It's usually for one of the reasons I mentioned above, i.e., either the team that drafted the player offers a lowball contract, or the player doesn't like the franchise that drafted him.

And in MLB, the team that drafted the player doesn't retain his rights if they fail to sign him before he starts college, as explained in MLB's draft rules. Note the last sentence below -- the drafting MLB franchise not only loses the rights to that player, but is not permitted to draft the same player a second time unless the player consents.

Quote:A Club generally retains the rights to sign a selected player until 11:59 PM (EDT) August 15, or until the player enters, or returns to, a four-year college on a full-time basis. A player who is drafted and does not sign with the Club that selected him may be drafted again at a future year's Draft, so long as the player is eligible for that year's Draft. A Club may not select a player again in a subsequent year, unless the player has consented to the re-selection.
11-17-2017 04:30 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

(11-17-2017 04:30 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(11-17-2017 02:57 PM)ken d Wrote:  As to the possibility (which I believe would be remote) that a high school player who is drafted would opt instead to go to college for two years, the drafting team could retain the right to sign that player when he does leave school.

It's not a remote possibility in MLB. There are many MLB draft picks who opt for college instead, some of them even first-round draft choices. It's usually for one of the reasons I mentioned above, i.e., either the team that drafted the player offers a lowball contract, or the player doesn't like the franchise that drafted him.

And in MLB, the team that drafted the player doesn't retain his rights if they fail to sign him before he starts college, as explained in MLB's draft rules. Note the last sentence below -- the drafting MLB franchise not only loses the rights to that player, but is not permitted to draft the same player a second time unless the player consents.

Quote:A Club generally retains the rights to sign a selected player until 11:59 PM (EDT) August 15, or until the player enters, or returns to, a four-year college on a full-time basis. A player who is drafted and does not sign with the Club that selected him may be drafted again at a future year's Draft, so long as the player is eligible for that year's Draft. A Club may not select a player again in a subsequent year, unless the player has consented to the re-selection.

I don't think the two leagues are comparable in this respect. Most high school baseball players would expect to spend several years in the minors - not exactly living the high life. There is nothing requiring the NBA to employ the same rule as MLB regarding retention or lack thereof of rights to sign players. I'm suggesting that they protect the rights of the drafting team.
11-17-2017 05:10 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
The minor league (Gatorade League or G League) for Basketball simply doesn't have enough slots, and most teams lose significant money (subsidized by parent club). I understand what Silver is thinking, but the reality is the top prospects, just like with top High School Freshmen going straight to Varsity, are going to never set foot in the minor league but be lottery picks and come directly to NBA teams. Most of the guys in the G League are 3 and 4 year NCAA players. They are the marginal guys trying to polish their games to get to the next level.

The NCAA offers a big stage, and in a way that is great preparation fr the NBA to play in arenas full of rabid students and fans for Ku, UK, Duke, UNC, 'zona or other major schools. While "a waste of a year" arguably, being on the big stage is preparation for the bright lights of the NBA. It also stalls things a year and gives the NBA an extra year to look over players.

IMO Silver and others are looking for some form of false nostalgic days when stars came in fully prepared for the NBA, and mature. But the genie is out of the bottle. The model he is looking at does not fit the truly elite player. (Silver never was an elite player, so he doesn't get it.)
11-17-2017 05:36 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
I hope this does end the 1 and done era. It seems now with the NBA D-League getting more solid, they can draft a HS player for either the NBA or NBA D. Either way those who aren't interested in college and want to make money right away (even if they are just getting say 25k/yr) can go and that will help the college game.
11-17-2017 06:04 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
The G-League is better ball. But it's a lot like AAU right now. No emphasis on leadership and all on skill development.

The whole point of 1 and done is it allows NBA not to have to scout 5000 high schools. They can just watch a few AAU showcase Tournaments for future potential lottery guys at age 16, 17, 18, where that one year in College can verify their readiness for the NBA. All those so-so guys need the extra 3-4 years in college. Take a guy like Quinn Cook. He had to play 4 years at Duke, now 4th year in G-League he has a 2-way contract and two game appearances in the NBA. But on the flip side guys like Tatum and Fultz it's just one NCAA season to verify the AAU and HS hype.

For the guys that really need the minor league there would have to be a 60 team league below the G-League to be the single A ball equivalent for all the Quinn Cook type players that fill the NCAA rosters. The NCAA has 75 programs in Major conferences and another 25 High Mid-Major (Gonzaga, Wichita State, UConn, Cincy, UNLV, etc) programs that hold 600 or so potential prospects at any given time. To replace that would require that single A level league.

But why bother, the NCAA has a league and a big tournament to hold all the single A players. It makes money because it's affiliated with something people care about, the schools people attended.

Silver is way underestimating the size of the problem. And ask yourself, is it really a problem that Aaron Gordon and Andrew Wiggins had to figure it out for two years in the NBA instead of off in some G-League team, and before that instead of playing before a National audience in a big time program, spending a year in some sub G-League team in Modesto or Albany?
11-19-2017 05:55 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Let them go straight from high school, the requirement should be “once they sign a professional contract they are no longer amateurs”. Sports is the only field where you can’t make money off your talent and still be on a scholarship. Photographers on a full-ride can sell their work, authors, artists, musicians....but not athletes.
11-20-2017 11:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.