Attendance last night 16,649
BG's Saturday Homecoming vs Ohio U 17,641
11-16-2017 09:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Atmosphere missing from this MACtion
We are slowly eroding the the fan base to be on ESPN.
11-16-2017 09:53 AM
falconplucker Offline
1st String

8pm game on a Wednesday in November equals no atmosphere.
11-16-2017 11:08 AM
RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Amen, MACtion sucks...
11-16-2017 11:32 AM
Advertisement

adunifon Offline
Heisman

Atmosphere missing from this MACtion
Atmosphere in my basement was fantastic. Big tv. Comfortable couch. Warm blanket. Ass whooping on the screen.
11-16-2017 11:36 AM
jimrunsfar Offline
Bench Warmer

Interestingly enough, I've had more comments this year from friends, acquaintances asking about weeknight #MACtion......and invariably the follow-up comment or question is along the lines of:

"What is the attendance?"

"There's no one there!"

So I guess one could make the argument that ESPN is financing MAC Athletics. The question to ask is given their financial struggles, what happens if they pull the plug?
11-16-2017 05:14 PM
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOLEDO ROCKETS
(11-16-2017 05:14 PM)jimrunsfar Wrote:  Interestingly enough, I've had more comments this year from friends, acquaintances asking about weeknight #MACtion......and invariably the follow-up comment or question is along the lines of:

"There's no one there!"

So I guess one could make the argument that ESPN is financing MAC Athletics. The question to ask is given their financial struggles, what happens if they pull the plug?

That would be interesting the fan base is disappearing.
11-16-2017 05:28 PM
FrickerRon Offline
Special Teams

(11-16-2017 09:02 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  Attendance last night 16,649
BG's Saturday Homecoming vs Ohio U 17,641
Boca, I don't know where you got them numbers, I think they MAY have had 5,000, and that may be to many. 3/4 of the stadium was empty, we had a great turn out on our side considering the time and weather.
11-16-2017 05:37 PM
Advertisement

toledobigmike Offline
1st String

BG attendance has always been shaky. Add to that a 2-8 record and a chilly weeknight game and you have an empty wind tunnel in tractor town.
11-16-2017 10:35 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-16-2017 05:14 PM)jimrunsfar Wrote:  Interestingly enough, I've had more comments this year from friends, acquaintances asking about weeknight #MACtion......and invariably the follow-up comment or question is along the lines of:

"There's no one there!"

you can't make the argument they are financing athletics. Consider the costs of scholarships, housing, equipment, travel, athletic department staff, coaches, trainers, promotions, recruiting, stadium and practice facility expenses, ESPN3 broadcast costs, etc... and the 1 million a year ESPN allocates per team is a fairly minor part of the budget. You could make that easily for the entire athletic department with the football team playing 1 extra money game a year. Instead of the every other season home game with a Nevada or Tulsa you play a South Carolina or Virginia or Nebraska type team. There's your entire ESPN paycheck. In return you get all your Saturday evening football back and maybe another high profile upset win. You could even compromise and agree to play 2 midweek November games a year for ESPN-Disney; one at home and one on the road, neither can be your primary rivalry game or senior night. Space it out among the league so all are on national tv and not ESPN3. They still get their midweek content and you can rebuild your fan base and game day traditions.
11-17-2017 02:48 AM
jimrunsfar Offline
Bench Warmer

Fair enough....and I have admittedly an elementary understanding of College Athletic finances.

I think we can all agree though that it's a really bad look.....
11-17-2017 03:55 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
There are some numbers that could be run to find out if this works out for each team. Doesn't seem fair for all the teams to get the same amounts. The UT-BG game on a Saturday in October is going to always draw about 25,000 fans. With that you get parking, concessions, apparel sales and more season ticket purchases. Put it on a Wednesday night in November and you get - 8,000 fans in the stands and maybe a couple thousand more that bought tickets as part of some package - but did not go. so say it is 12,000 more in ticket sales. Tickets would typically average $20/each. That is $240K. Say parking, food, and other sales gets you about another $150K. So that is $390K of incremental revenue. If you only have 2 games a year at home that you lose money on, it is unlikely you are losing revenues vs. the guaranteed $1M. However, you also lose fan support and do not grow a new fan base for the future.

I really question the advantage of "national exposure" on TV games. I think they mentioned the average national viewership of MACtion is about 250K. Not very likely many of those are recruits they are chasing after.
11-17-2017 03:55 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(11-17-2017 03:55 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  There are some numbers that could be run to find out if this works out for each team. Doesn't seem fair for all the teams to get the same amounts. The UT-BG game on a Saturday in October is going to always draw about 25,000 fans. With that you get parking, concessions, apparel sales and more season ticket purchases. Put it on a Wednesday night in November and you get - 8,000 fans in the stands and maybe a couple thousand more that bought tickets as part of some package - but did not go. so say it is 12,000 more in ticket sales. Tickets would typically average $20/each. That is $240K. Say parking, food, and other sales gets you about another $150K. So that is $390K of incremental revenue. If you only have 2 games a year at home that you lose money on, it is unlikely you are losing revenues vs. the guaranteed $1M. However, you also lose fan support and do not grow a new fan base for the future.

I really question the advantage of "national exposure" on TV games. I think they mentioned the average national viewership of MACtion is about 250K. Not very likely many of those are recruits they are chasing after.

And I'd like to see them quantify the gains from the exposure. If it makes recruiting easier, shouldn't the MAC be winning more games vs. the other conferences?
11-17-2017 04:40 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Atmosphere missing from this MACtion
I'd love to hear from the players. What do they prefer. Would they rather play on Saturdays or weeknights in front of empty stadiums. Is TV really that important to them?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
11-17-2017 05:58 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

When you talk about empty seats ask those same kids if they like playing in front of empty seats on Saturday in November and not on Tv

That is the reality for most schools in conference
11-17-2017 09:52 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

I don't care anymore, gone are the saturday night football games (although I prefer day games) at the glass bowl without TV exposure, long before ESPN was in existence. To the MAC Commish, he and others in that office don
't care, as long there paychecks are in their bank accounts. Screw ESPN, I will gladly take in Dayton Football, Wittenburg U. (D111 school), Miami Redhawks (Oct games) games and watch them play in the afternoon. Living in Dayton area, I still try to catch one or two UT games, if they play in the afternoon, at home or at Ball State when that occurs.
11-18-2017 03:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.