Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Phillips credits coaches
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
Phillips credits coaches
Worth noting and giving credit, when credit is due:

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2...river_home

Quote:"It's a great accomplishment that I'm proud of, and I just want to thank the defensive line for getting pressure to the quarterback and giving me the opportunity to make the interception," Phillips said. "I also want to thank my coaches.

"Coach (Cory) Sanders and coach (Tim) Daoust came here and taught me new techniques, and I trusted in them, and they're working."
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2017 12:18 PM by Hoekjeness.)
11-10-2017 12:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Phillips credits coaches
breath of fresh air in a season where the coaching staff has taken it on the chin for the bad losses... gives me hope that we as usual hyperactively over-react to some bad beats during the season... myself included.
11-10-2017 12:21 PM
Stampede your face!! Offline
All American

Good to see.
11-10-2017 07:49 PM
Advertisement

brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
Credits the coaches, or blames them? In terms of Phillips' defensive play this year, is there anyone who disagrees that he has regressed as a cover guy? As a returner I think he has actually gotten better, but as a defender I think Darius is the poster child for the "what happened to our great defense?" issue this year. Way too much production from our opponents receivers this year. So crediting the coaches leaves a question mark in my head.
11-15-2017 10:31 AM
Brindlee2015 Offline
2nd String

(11-15-2017 10:31 AM)brovol Wrote:  Credits the coaches, or blames them? In terms of Phillips' defensive play this year, is there anyone who disagrees that he has regressed as a cover guy? As a returner I think he has actually gotten better, but as a defender I think Darius is the poster child for the "what happened to our great defense?" issue this year. Way too much production from our opponents receivers this year. So crediting the coaches leaves a question mark in my head.

Or, just maybe, the DBs are, on the whole, a young group without 2+ years of playing time? And, perhaps, Darius is attempting to compensate for that lack of experience?

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-dep...igan/92522
11-15-2017 10:43 AM
Advertisement

RunningGame Offline
All American

(11-15-2017 10:31 AM)brovol Wrote:  Credits the coaches, or blames them? In terms of Phillips' defensive play this year, is there anyone who disagrees that he has regressed as a cover guy? As a returner I think he has actually gotten better, but as a defender I think Darius is the poster child for the "what happened to our great defense?" issue this year. Way too much production from our opponents receivers this year. So crediting the coaches leaves a question mark in my head.

I don't remember Philllips getting burned much, and teams have thrown away from him a lot. Beal as well. Our safeties have a lot of run support duties in this offense, and they've been picked on deep. At one point I think Lester said the linebackers need to do better delaying those guys. This is a pressure defense that leave the secondary on islands and I think our defense is still physically built for a more conservative style.

Defense is not the problem with this team, the only poor game they had was against Buffalo, otherwise they've put up some heroic efforts to bail out a struggling offense, even considering a lot of injuries in the secondary.
11-15-2017 12:52 PM
BuickBronco Offline
Special Teams

(11-15-2017 10:43 AM)Brindlee2015 Wrote:  

Or, just maybe, the DBs are, on the whole, a young group without 2+ years of playing time? And, perhaps, Darius is attempting to compensate for that lack of experience?

Is Doyle hurt again? Didn't see him on that link. I think he dressed last week
11-15-2017 12:55 PM
Advertisement

RunningGame Offline
All American

(11-15-2017 12:55 PM)BuickBronco Wrote:  

Is Doyle hurt again? Didn't see him on that link. I think he dressed last week

Doyle played most of the second half.
11-15-2017 01:03 PM
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY

This is a defensive backfield with two seniors, one junior, and a RS Frosh as starters, two sophomores, a RS frosh, and a first year Frosh as backups. Thus, of the eight players in the two deep, there are only two in their first year of college football, and all of the starters are at least back from last years tremendous team, including two seniors. Not to mention the entire balance of the starting defense is either a senior or junior, with one sophomore. This isnt just an experienced group; it is a VERY experienced group.

And if DP is getting beat because he is trying to compensate for others (I dont believe that is the case), then that is a problem.

I don't believe the defense has been THE problem this year, but the defense has been disappointing, given the fact that this was such an experienced and talented group, with so many players returning from the great D we had last season. With all the players we had returning, this should have been a better D than last year. We had a few injuries, including Tranquil, but we have far too frequently gotten torched by passes. Part of this is because of the lack of pressure on the QB, but our DBs have failed to look back for the ball several times, leading to catches, even when they were in position. Some of the same guys played better last year than they have this year. Just saying.
11-15-2017 01:44 PM
Advertisement

flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-15-2017 01:44 PM)brovol Wrote:  

This is a defensive backfield with two seniors, one junior, and a RS Frosh as starters, two sophomores, a RS frosh, and a first year Frosh as backups. Thus, of the eight players in the two deep, there are only two in their first year of college football, and all of the starters are at least back from last years tremendous team, including two seniors. Not to mention the entire balance of the starting defense is either a senior or junior, with one sophomore. This isnt just an experienced group; it is a VERY experienced group.

And if DP is getting beat because he is trying to compensate for others (I dont believe that is the case), then that is a problem.

I don't believe the defense has been THE problem this year, but the defense has been disappointing, given the fact that this was such an experienced and talented group, with so many players returning from the great D we had last season. With all the players we had returning, this should have been a better D than last year. We had a few injuries, including Tranquil, but we have far too frequently gotten torched by passes. Part of this is because of the lack of pressure on the QB, but our DBs have failed to look back for the ball several times, leading to catches, even when they were in position. Some of the same guys played better last year than they have this year. Just saying.

I believe at one time Beal, Jackson, Ginwright and Tranquil were all out.. You can't tell me that this is an overall position of strength after the MSU game... Losing Tranquil and Ginwright back there and playing with a banged up Phillips and Beal hasn't been ideal. WE played huge against USC and their Heisman candidate QB.... but after that we started to decline due to injury... WE are a mere shell of what we were to begin the season... Phillips has been definitely hampered by his hand injury... his ability to feel out the receivers and make plays on the ball have taken a hit...
11-15-2017 03:11 PM
RunningGame Offline
All American

(11-15-2017 01:44 PM)brovol Wrote:  

I think this defense is as good as it was last year, even considering a big change in scheme, which is going to result in some deep passes given up. Look at the stats:

2016/2017

Scoring: 19.8/27.6
Yards: 355-377
Pass defense efficiency: 122/126
Opponent 3rd down conversion: 39%/35%
Time of possession: 34:02/30:55

I'd say those numbers are fair at this point, since Toledo/NIU are yet to go and last year's numbers include Ohio/Wisconsin.

This defense is better at getting off the field this year, defends the pass about the same, but is given up more scores. That's aggressive defense for you when the offense has trouble consistently moving the ball.

Our stats and the game scores tell me our team is good but for the ability to complete intermediate passes. Here's one more critical stat:

2016 3rd down conversions: 53.7%
2017: 40.3%

That's why we aren't 9-1 (with a win at USC) going into day vs. 6-4. If our passing game has the personnel we had last year, we'd be undefeated again, or maybe USC would have stepped up their game and we'd have beat MSU.
11-15-2017 03:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.